BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 City 0

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very difficult to write a match report tonight because there was so little to report. It looked like two tired teams who were set up to not concede rather than score.

In fact I can't be arsed. A mini-report will have to do. I'm also a tad pi55ed.

City were better than us in the first half. They worked harder and closed us down all over the pitch. Our defence kept them out though because our defence is ace. City didn't have a shot of note. We didn't have an attack of note. The first half was a non-event.

We were better in the second half, but not much better. We had a brief flurry at the start of the half and then the game reverted to a dull midfield battle. Stead had a couple of half-chances that James saved and, apart from that, I can't think of a decent chance for either side.

The game was pants basically.

Full credit to our defence. I've got blase about them now. I expect them to keep clean sheets and they didn't let me down today. Shaun Wright-Philips, Fowler et al weren't a factor today. Todd and Matteo had especially good games.

Our midfield was poor at times. We lost possession too often and got out battled in the first half. Pedersen had his normal sort of game except he didn't score. And when he doesn't score Pedersen's quite ordinary. Reid was energetic yet wasteful, Emerton lively yet annoying, Mokoena was defensive but poor in attack. Thompson came on (for Savage who didn't look fit throughout) in the second half and gave the ball away lots.

Up front Stead was poor in the main. He had a couple of snap-shots that tested James but he failed to hold the ball or pass the ball on many occasions. Gally came on late on (for Pedersen - meaning a switch to 4-4-2) and looked impressive - could have been interesting if he'd have been given another ten minutes.

It was a poor game, but there's lots of reasons to excuse it. It was a hot, blustery day, the pitch looked hard and bobbley, both teams were tired after 3 games in a week, and both teams were safe in the league.

We're on 40 points now. We'd have all given our right knacker to get that many points at Xmas!

So was I. We keep getting told that Savage isn't near full fitness yet he keeps starting games. This formation was made for the likes of Tugay. Let Savage get himself fit now we are safe and look for some way to make us more creative. Simply bringing in a striker won't solve our problems. We need to find more ways of creating chances if we are really going to build on the solidity given us by our fantastic back line.

They somehow cobbled together some scenes and showed ten minutes of highlights on the TV over here last night...it was ridiculously boring, nothing much happened at all, just lame excuses for chances. Those were the bloody highlights and I almost fell asleep! We needed those tactics this year but I do hope we have a bit more ambition than that for next season.

Up front Stead was poor in the main. He had a couple of snap-shots that tested James but he failed to hold the ball or pass the ball on many occasions. Gally came on late on (for Pedersen - meaning a switch to 4-4-2) and looked impressive - could have been interesting if he'd have been given another ten minutes.

Rubbish game, agree we cancelled each other out, and was sure Tugay was going to get a run out, but your comments about Stead are a load of tripe. For me and the guys who came with me (including 1 City fan) Stead was a man of the match performance worked his socks off, gave us the only real threat, had his work cut out against Distin and Dunne, hats off to the lad, Gallagher didn’t look anymore threatening

Intially, I was annoyed with this result. However, on reflection my attitude to the game was maybe similar to that of the players. It never really felt that we had a match yesterday...

It must be remembered the fantastic efforts Hughes has got out of the players for a long period of time now.

I am not sure if concerned is the word, but it is interesting to find out from David Tommo about Hughes tactics. He said he has curbed his attacking freedom since he came in, and they are a lot of occasions when he is restricted in his attacking play- the challenge for Hughes will be to make us a more attack minded team without upsetting the balance of our side.

We do have a good defence, one of the main reasons is the side is much more compact and tighter under Hughes. This of course reduces the chances and attacking impetus of any side.

One thing you can guarantee next season. There will be at least 3 new faces in the side next season. I am excited at the prospect.....

The Man City fans I spoke to after the game, thought Rovers were the worst home side they had played, this season.

I replied that I thought they were the worst away side we had played. [even though they weren't].

I don't

I love the way we're playing. I feel absolutely no fear that we're going to concede- the lack of the ominous, sick feeling I used to get every time the opposition crossed the halfway line is absolutely wonderful. I don't fear being given dodgy penalty deciions (or even the opposition being given 50/50 shouts) against us, and I'm always hopeful that one moment of brilliance could get us a goal.

Without strikers it's the only way to play, and I for one would pay 10-fold to see that rather than the attacking football that people are calling for. Given that we're not very good at it and lose goals that way (last 5 minutes agains Arsenal anyone) AND that we need the money from places up the table, I wish people would get real.

I don't care what the opposition say. I want us to keep playing EXACTLY like this because I want us 1) in the top half and 2) to not lose any games (or goals preferably) before the end of the season.

Yesterday's game wasn't in the slightest painful. It was a point that all but assured our safety and meant the potential for going up the league. It also continuted our unbeaten run.

Judge Hughesy by next season, when we actually HAVE strikers worth mentioning, rather than this season when we have Dickov.

Thank you ABBEY.

Unfortunately I'm not a typist by trade- normally my secretary would do that sort of thing.

Edited by Jan

My take on the game was there was nothing in it first half, City probably just edged it as they kept the ball slightly better and looked dangerous up until the final third but they were never going to cause us problems to our awesome defence without SWP on top form.

Second half Rovers definitely tried their best to force the game but City seemed to be content with a point and sat back. Remember seeing Sibierski at one point in the left back position when he was supposed to be up front, this says it all really.

Just because we play 4-5-1 doesn't mean we're being boring. Stuart Pearce said that we just put 10 men behind the ball. It was totally the other way round second half I think. We've seen against Norwich and Southamton that if teams try to go for it against us we can get lots of players foward like Emerton, MGP and Reid who all like to run at opposition defences. However if teams like City and Palace come to Ewood with no intention of making a serious effort to score then we find it hard to break them down. This would be the same for any team, even the likes of Man Utd find this difficult to play against even when they are playing 442 with Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs playing!!

However we play 451 and have poor strikers so its hard for us. We've shown though that we can create lots of chances and score goals if teams aren't so negative against us, with comfortable 3-0 wins against Norwich and Southampton.

Opposition managers and the media clearly dont like 451 and the likes of Rovers, Everton and Bolton who all play it get lumped together and called boring, physical and its assumed we put 10 men behind the ball. When the real facts are that all three teams have talented midfielders like Reid, Emerton, Cahill, Osman, Stelios and Okocha who all like the ball at their feet running at opposition defences, forcing the game and creating chances. The fact that we all play 451 doesnt alter this in the slightest.

If we had Mark Hughes as manager all season playing the way we are now then we would definitely be up there challenging for Champions League football with Bolton and Everton. Hopefully this is where we will be next season! We have some talented players and with a couple of attacking additions, we are clearly capable of it.

I see no reason to ditch the 4-5-1 formation next season though as it quite clearly works for us. I'd much rather be winning games, keeping clean sheets and being very hard to beat playing this formation than being more unpredictable and easier to score against playing 442! So why change a winning formula??

It's all a question of personnel.

And we do not play 4 5 1 - it's 4 1 4 1 - which is very different. If you insist on three ranks then we play 5 4 1 as Mokoena has been playing more as a defender.

The question for next year is all about if we play T'axe or not.

He looks great in front of the back four breaking up opposition attacks but has so far looked uncomfortable in midfield or defence in a 4 4 2.

If we sign the type of strikers who need to play with a partner then will T'axe keep his place?

Cannot give you the link but there was a recent article analysing RFW's most successful Manc sides.

The argument was that they did not play 4-4-2 which was what all the commentators were saying they were playing at the time but they had a system which could adjust between 4-1-3-2 and 4-3-1-2.

I wonder if that is the future at Ewood?

More than that it is can we.

The thing that has to be looked into is how integral is the role of the holding/defensive to our defensive solidity. We may well find that without it we are more exposed and, even with the greater attacking threat of the second striker, we start to lose more games.

It's an important call as it should actually determine the type of striker we are going for this summer. Should we stick with the 4-5-1 we need someone with a physical presence who can hold the ball up well, while we would also have to inject some more creativity into the midfield. If we plan on switching to 4-4-2 then we can look at options like Bellamy, who rely more on pace and need someone along side them. Though even then we will still have to add something to the centre of midfield.

rover.gif this must have been the worst game i have seen at ewood entertianment wise for seasons.if sparky had the balls to play a few youngsters we would have had there displays to talk about,as it was it was cr*p tinykit.gif

Very true about the entertainment value.

On the other hand if Hughes had taken a risk and played a few youngster then maybe we wouldn't have kept clean sheets in seven out of our last eight league games and we'd be looking at a relegation scrap.

Let's put this season in the bank, we're staying up. Souness had us looking at the drop and Hughes has saved us. If the price we pay for not playing the Dingles next year is a boring game against Man City, then I am willing to pay that price.

If Hughes can do to our attack what he has done to our defence then we will be well on our way next season.

Upward and onward.

A bit dissappointed about the result, am starting to agree with waggy's reminders of playing some of the starlets... Hughes made a post match comment about the players, are believing that they were safe already..

All I care about is being above both Newcastle and birmingham... wink.gif

As usual Waggy has a bee in his bonnet and will not shut up about it....

Play youngsters..... why? have you forgotten every place is worth an additional 500k to us. Which WILL go straight into transfer funds.

But, what the hell, throw the youngsters in

As usual Waggy has a bee in his bonnet and will not shut up about it....

Play youngsters..... why? have you forgotten every place is worth an additional 500k to us. Which WILL go straight into transfer funds.

But, what the hell, throw the youngsters in

Honestly, at the moment what harm can it do upfront.??.. I know Waggy likes to go on, it was the same last year but I think we could use someone besides Gallager, to partner Stead as the strikers for the rest of the season, as I dont believe Dickov should rush himself back in the next four games...

I do agree with your sentiments on the £ value of the the final placing, but I dont see to much harm with 'tinkering' with some forward positions...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.