BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto Cup

So if we then finish 8th and miss out on a place of Europe will it really be worth it? If we fail to make Europe this season then I will have major concerns for what will happen to us as a club. If we can make Europe I don't doubt that the board will back Hughes, if we don't, then I think we could be looking to future seasons of languishing in midtable.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh no here we go again-

Champs League Group stages- 1st and 2nd

Champs League 3rd qualifying round- 3rd and 4th

Champs League Group stages- winners of the Champs League if not 1st or 2nd knocking the winners of the tenth rated country (Scotland) into the 3rd Qualifying round. If 3rd or 4th, one fewer club in the 3rd Qualifying round, if outside top 4, an extra place in the Champs League and one less UEFA slot.

FA Cup winners or runners up- UEFA Cup

League Cup winners- UEFA CUP

Three places in the UEFA Cup unless there are five teams in the Champions League (see above) in which case there are two places. The places NOT taken by the domestic cup competitions go to the next highest League positions not yet in Europe.

Intertoto entry to be nominated by the FA from the highest placed club applying which finishes in one of the next four Premiership places not already taken by a Champs League or UEFA Cup qualified club through league placement.

There could be all kinds of quirks- for instance, Arsenal come 5th and win the Champs League, Wigan come 6th and win the League Cup, Bolton lose the FA Cup Final to Chelsea and come 7th and neither Rovers, Everton or Boro come 8th. Where do UEFA start counting the four places for the Intertoto qualification? Oh and just for fun, Boro stay where they are in the League but win the UEFA Cup and demand the right to defend it!!!

So I don't know whom Bobby is saying is wrong nor do I think he is right.

Edited by philipl

Probably best to quote the person you were disagreeing with as there were other posts in between.

But there is a theoretical set of circumstances in which 5th in the Prem would not get a UEFA slot-

Arsenal come 6th and win Champs League

Wigan 7th and win League Cup

Somebody other than 1st to 7th in the Prem win the FA Cup or are runners up to a Champs League qualifier winner of the FA Cup.

But there is a theoretical set of circumstances in which 5th in the Prem would not get a UEFA slot-

Arsenal come 6th and win Champs League

384807[/snapback]

Has it been amended should that happen again that the fourth placed team loses the spot? Or is it like this season where there were five English clubs in at different stages?

This post seems to have dried up........has the deadline now passed for clubs to put their names forward and is it us, Boro and Everton? Or can teams still put their names down up until the final day of the season? Reason I ask is I wanna sort out my holidays.

Everyone has the same opinion about this don't they?

We're playing well and in good form and hopefully will qualify for the UEFA place through our final league position. If we don't then it's the only way into Europe for us and being in Europe is essential if we are going to grow as a football club.

Will anyone out there who would rather us not be in Europe than play in the Intertoto Cup please step forward...

The UEFA Cup spots go down to 6th now after Man Ure's win today. Seventh will also get a spot in the UEFA providing that the FA Cup is won by a team in the top six - and since the last time that didn't happen was in 1995, it seems pretty likely that'll be the case.

As far as I can see, there are two Intertoto places up for grabs, us, Everton and Boro are the only applicants, and you need to finish no more than four places off the other European qualifiers. With that in mind, effectively all we have to do is finish in the top half of the table to get in - the only other complication is if Arsenal win the Champions League and don't finish in the top four, and even though their situation is becoming almost exactly like Liverpool's last year, I can't see it happening (though I'm sure someone will dig this thread up in May if it happens!) So assuming that nothing extraordinary happens, it looks increasingly like there'll be some sort of European football at Ewood next season.

The UEFA Cup spots go down to 6th now after Man Ure's win today. Seventh will also get a spot in the UEFA providing that the FA Cup is won by a team in the top six - and since the last time that didn't happen was in 1995, it seems pretty likely that'll be the case.

Well actually, if the winner of the cup finishes in the top 6, the runner-up (if not in the top 6) gets a place in Europe instead.

So really, we must hope than Liverpool and Chelsea will avoid each other before they reach the final

Well actually, if the winner of the cup finishes in the top 6, the runner-up (if not in the top 6) gets a place in Europe instead.

So really, we must hope than Liverpool and Chelsea will avoid each other before they reach the final

386786[/snapback]

we get three places.

one for 5th, one for the league cup and one for the fa cup. As the League cup winners have qualified for the Champions League (barring a massive shock) the UEFA cup spot is now 5th and 6th.

If the FA Cup finalists both qualify by other means (1-6 in the league) then the 7th spot automatically gets UEFA.

However if an English team with the CL or the UEFA and dont qualify via league placings it buggers it up a bit.

Edited by stuwilky

oh no here we go again-

Champs League Group stages- 1st and 2nd

Champs League 3rd qualifying round- 3rd and 4th

Champs League Group stages- winners of the Champs League if not 1st or 2nd knocking the winners of the tenth rated country (Scotland) into the 3rd Qualifying round. If 3rd or 4th, one fewer club in the 3rd Qualifying round, if outside top 4, an extra place in the Champs League and one less UEFA slot.

FA Cup winners or runners up- UEFA Cup

League Cup winners- UEFA CUP

Three places in the UEFA Cup unless there are five teams in the Champions League (see above) in which case there are two places. The places NOT taken by the domestic cup competitions go to the next highest League positions not yet in Europe.

Intertoto entry to be nominated by the FA from the highest placed club applying which finishes in one of the next four Premiership places not already taken by a Champs League or UEFA Cup qualified club through league placement.

There could be all kinds of quirks- for instance, Arsenal come 5th and win the Champs League, Wigan come 6th and win the League Cup, Bolton lose the FA Cup Final to Chelsea and come 7th and neither Rovers, Everton or Boro come 8th. Where do UEFA start counting the four places for the Intertoto qualification? Oh and just for fun, Boro stay where they are in the League but win the UEFA Cup and demand the right to defend it!!!

384803[/snapback]

I'll keep repeating this post!

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.