BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Now We Are Safe

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I have seen of the second team, no one is pushing for the first team.

I would love to see some youth players pushing for a first team places, but there have to be ready for it and as yet there are not.

Does nobody else find this scenario disappointing and worrying? sad.gif

I agree Des, the only youngster that I believe has any chance of imminent involvement is Gary Harkins - he is a centre half though..... I dont fancy dropping either Nelsen or Toddy (especially Nelsen given his likely work permit issues next season!)

I thought Harkins was a midfielder? He's played there the couple of games I've seen him play.

I would love to see some youth players pushing for a first team places, but there have to be ready for it and as yet there are not.

Does nobody else find this scenario disappointing and worrying? sad.gif

Yes Capt, I do. The academy takes a lot of money out of the club and at the moment, I don't honestly think any of the youngsters are ready, or likely to be ready for the first team squad. Not for a while anyway.

Lets get it right, Flitty didnt lose his place to Andreson last year, he lost it coz bolluxheeed sourness fell out with him coz he had the nerve to stand up to his attitude.

Flitty does an okay job and he will be needed on Saturday, needed on Tuesday and definately needed on Saturday tinykit.gif

as for blooding a youngster or two ?

well for me, looking at the many youth matches I have been to, Barker is not ready. Derbyshire looks a little on the weak side and Garner looks like he lacks a certain something.

Agree with the Taylor suggestion.

For the remainder of the season stick with what we have got. A few million is not to be sniffed at tinykit.gif

I agree Des,  the only youngster that I believe has any chance of imminent involvement is Gary Harkins - he is a centre half though..... I dont fancy dropping either Nelsen or Toddy (especially Nelsen given his likely work permit issues next season!)

I thought Harkins was a midfielder? He's played there the couple of games I've seen him play.

He has played midfield in all the games I've seen. Not sure I've ever heard of him being called a defender before.

so its time to push on and get as hogh as we can biggrin.gif

I agree Des, the only youngster that I believe has any chance of imminent involvement is Gary Harkins - he is a centre half though..... I dont fancy dropping either Nelsen or Toddy (especially Nelsen given his likely work permit issues next season!)

Are you sure you aren't getting Harkins mixed up with John Fitzgerald. They were both on loan at Bury togther this season but Fitzgerald is a central defender and Harkins (a Scot, born in Greenock but brought up in England if I remember???) is mainly a right-sided midfielder.

Fitzgerald it seems is most certainly not wanted at Ewood which is disappointing for an Eire-U21 international. At the moment he is just after a contract at Gigg Lane though...

Fitzgerald eyeing Bury stay

Don't think we'll be getting any dosh at all from him... sad.gif

That result WOULD make us mathematically safe, I believe!

As they've lost 4-1 at Portsmouth: I can declare we are officially safe! biggrin.gif

Southampton can get 37 pts,

Norwich & Palace can get 39 pts

Southampton + 2 others?

We are safe now, and now we should aim to finish higher up the table to gain some extra money to fund the signing of bellamy.

rover.gif disagree mr hopkirk,after the dross served up on saturday a debut or two by a couple off young lads would have least give the fans something to talk about. tinykit.gif

We are safe now, and now we should aim to finish higher up the table to gain some extra money to fund the signing of bellamy.

rover.gif disagree mr hopkirk,after the dross served up on saturday a debut or two by a couple off young lads would have least give the fans something to talk about. tinykit.gif

You won't say that after we lose 4-0 to West Brom.

***To Waggy that is***

Edited by Eddie

rover.gif its like going over the old song,if we finish 12th this season we have excelled,surely given these youngsters a game is worth the risk-if a young starlet shows he can hack it in the premier we will save a fortune in the transfer market.

i agree tomorrow we must play our best 11,out off debt to the teams in the relagation mire,but that leaves 3 fixtures too blood the youngsters.i for one know what lily,reid,matteo,mgp,stead,neill,emmerton can do,so does hughesy tinykit.gif

waggy you are like a broken record!

Brum and Fulham can overtake us at the cost of £500K each (plus Newcastle and Pompey sneeking through to take another 2x £500K). If we win those two games and overtake some of the clubs above us, there are more £500Ks to be won.

In short, there are a couple of year's funding of the Academy or a signing still at stake in this season.

Nobody is arguing that any of the youngsters are close enough for the first team- even your mate Rover6 is not running an equivalent of "pick Donnelly" for any of the current youngsters.

Give them a run now and you'll destroy them rather than save us a transfer fee.

Edited by philipl

Look at it this way Waggy.

We get 10th we get an extra 1 million pounds.

We get 14th losing out to Birmingham and Newcastle and suddenly we have lost that extra milllion.

10th gives us a massive chance of signing Bellamy and maybe even McCarthy and with other things going the right way with money in the club maybe a bid for parker could be on the cards. Only if they want a million for him.

rover.gif its like going over the old song,if we finish 12th this season we have excelled,surely given these youngsters a game is worth the risk-if a young starlet shows he can hack it in the premier we will save a fortune in the transfer market.

i agree tomorrow we must play our best 11,out off debt to the teams in the relagation mire,but that leaves 3 fixtures too blood the youngsters.i for one know what lily,reid,matteo,mgp,stead,neill,emmerton can do,so does hughesy tinykit.gif

Which youngsters are Premiership class then? At no point this season has anybody been to a reserve/youth game and come back thinking any single one of them can improve the team.

From what I have seen there aren't any youngsters worth 'blooding', much better to keep the same team to the end of the season and try and accumulate points and pounds.

The more pounds we have then the better chance of bringing in better players.

rover.gif well i'd give taylor the left back a go,as this is a problem position.and i think barker deserves a go,even derbyshire or young garner.you lot are worse than hansen[you win nowt with kids].you talk like we are going to win 12pts out off our next 4 games,we will get 4pts because thats how the season has panned out tinykit.gif

Um alright waggy, I wouldn't be surprised if we pick up 9/10 more points.

How would you feel if you were Matteo? Playing very well at the moment, part of one of the best defences in the Premiership, recently made that place in the team your own and look, suddenly you lose your spot to some youngster who isn't even up to the task yet. I wouldn't very happy, would you be?

Why are the last four games of the season any less important than the first or some somewhere in the middle? Same points available and the chance to end the season really well and go up a few places, why waste it?

With the seniors, 12 points is still a possibility. With the juniors I'd go for nil points. We can't afford to drop 2 million (or more) on a whim.

Let the youngsters get experience on loan next season. Keep the first team concentrated on the goal in hand- maximum points and maximum places up the table.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.