BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Testimonial

Guest Kamy100

I was with TP this afternoon, confirmed players so far (off the top of Parkes' head)...

Flowers, Mimms, Hendry, Pearce, Atkins, Sherwood, Wilcox, Ripley, Newell, Shearer, Speedie, Garner.

Duff and Dunn will be there but aren't likely to play.

Kenna can't as he's got Derby play-offs and Sutton can't because Celtic have the Scottish FA Cup final.

Forgot to add, the Tony Parkes XI will be managed by Dalglish

Wasn't going to create waves at work by asking to miss a staff meeting but now you have said Pearce will be there, there is no way I am missing this game!!

Listen for the fireworks tomorrow!!!!

Should be a cracking match!

I'm so excited!!!!!!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an astonishing lineup so far.

I just hope it's not just hype. But speaking of which, hopefully the match will get hyped to the rafters in the next two weeks.

I've persuaded a non-Rovers supporter to go, just got to work on my parents now...

HA HA HA HA HA. As soon as I saw Pearce mentioned I knew Hannah would emerge from the shaddows.

Never one to disappoint!

I'm far too busy to post anymore! I have to work now!

What sort of attendance are we looking at? With that line up surely all the fans will come out of the woodwork, won't they?

Flowers, Mimms, Hendry, Pearce, Atkins, Sherwood, Wilcox, Ripley, Newell, Shearer, Speedie, Garner.

Duff and Dunn will be there but aren't likely to play.

Forgot to add, the Tony Parkes XI will be managed by Dalglish

Thats one hell of a line up.....booked nightshift off already!!!!

For gods sake give this benefit match the big attendance it deserves Rovers fans.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

What quotes T4E?

I cant name too many specifics, but comments about us being ungrateful, his refusal to acknowledge us, his comment about how winning the FA Cup with Newcastle would mean far more to him than the Prem with us did, there's been quite a few things, I've always got a negative vibe from him.

Blackburn fans were ungrateful; the booing on his first return was ridiculous for such a great player, regardless of the circumstances of his departure. Marcus Bent got a standing ovation on his first return to Ewood yet Shearer got booed and 'Judas' shouted at him. I'm not a fan of booing players at the best of times, mainly because it just seems so childish. "Oh look! There's Shearer...let's all go booooooo a lot. That'll bloody teach the big fat knacker" Hardly revenge on a Shakepearean scale now is it?

As for his comment about winning the FA Cup with Newcastle, well...winning the FA Cup with Rovers would mean more than winning the title with Newcastle would to most on here. It was (and I remember the quotes) more of a case of him saying how much of a Newcastle fan he was rather than putting us down.

So...anyway...time to forget the petty squabbles and the delight he seemed to take in scoring against us and remember the good times. If only for one day. thumbs-up.gif

This has been done to death but:

Shearer hurt many people when he left the club.

He had no consideration whatsoever for the predicament he was leaving the club in, we had no strikers and no time to replace him. A few weeks before he'd posed in the new kit and made all the right noises for the coming season. We bought season tickets and shirts with his name on. Ray bought players to compliment Shearer, shearer s**t on us all.

He went to see Fergie at Utd despite claims he only wanted to join his home town club, he lied to the Blackburn fans and would have joined Utd if Jack had allowed it.

Then on his return with Newcastle he was roundly applauded when he came out to warm up, then when the game started he was booed and abused, rightly so. After the game he questioned the loyalty of the Blackburn fans mad.gif how can he question our loyalty?

The guy was a hero, but not after the way he treated Blackburn Rovers.

We should be eternally grateful for the service he gave to us, even turning his back on Manchester United which in its self is a commendable decision these days.

This old chestnut again. mad.gif I don't want to get into a slanging match regarding Shearer's exit from Ewood again...but I also can't stand to see history being rewritten. As I understand it Shearer WANTED to appear on stage at the 'Theatre of Screams' but Jack Walker would not sanction it. The Barcodes where Shearers 2nd choice.

Grow up!

When Henning Berg eventually joined United, he stated that, " Alan wanted to go to Old Trafford but Jack wouldn't allow it." Which is fair enough, what is nauseating is the way the press go on about AS only wanting to go to his home town club etc.etc.etc..............lazy work again and again from Fleet Street's finest.

Edited by Wiggy

What quotes T4E?

I cant name too many specifics, but comments about us being ungrateful, his refusal to acknowledge us, his comment about how winning the FA Cup with Newcastle would mean far more to him than the Prem with us did, there's been quite a few things, I've always got a negative vibe from him.

Blackburn fans were ungrateful; the booing on his first return was ridiculous for such a great player, regardless of the circumstances of his departure. Marcus Bent got a standing ovation on his first return to Ewood yet Shearer got booed and 'Judas' shouted at him. I'm not a fan of booing players at the best of times, mainly because it just seems so childish. "Oh look! There's Shearer...let's all go booooooo a lot. That'll bloody teach the big fat knacker" Hardly revenge on a Shakepearean scale now is it?

As for his comment about winning the FA Cup with Newcastle, well...winning the FA Cup with Rovers would mean more than winning the title with Newcastle would to most on here. It was (and I remember the quotes) more of a case of him saying how much of a Newcastle fan he was rather than putting us down.

So...anyway...time to forget the petty squabbles and the delight he seemed to take in scoring against us and remember the good times. If only for one day. thumbs-up.gif

All fair comments. I have nothing against Shearer, I just get the impression he thinks little of us.

Gutted I cant make this one, I'm out of the country until the following day sad.gif

To cover old ground the thing that griped me was we allowed Shearer to have his op in late 95/96 season purely so he would be fit for Euro 96. Ultimately he missed a couple of games and we finished a couple of points short of a European spot. The club basically gave up (or lessened the chance of) a UEFA spot just so he could be fit for that tournament. It matters not that we would basically have treated the comp like a 3rd rate competition as we always do.

Shearer, after having a storiming Euro 96, left. That to me was not fair on the club. If the club (or Jack) had known of his intentions would they have let him have the op? No Way. It's ludicrous to suggest that Rovers wanted him to play in Euro96 to get his price up as both Shearer and Jack Walker openly stated that Jack tried to do everything in his power to keep him at Ewood. That is why I feel Shearer cannot complain at the reception he recieved from Rovers fans on his return. I also think that he should have looked at himself before he gave the quote of "Theres no loyalty in football" aimed at the Rovers fans after his first visit.

However time is a healer and I'll welcome him back. It's TP's night and Shearer obviously wants to turn up both for Tony and the club. He's still the best player I've seen for Rovers and maybe ever will.

Anyway, where's Moran and Speedie?

How childish and narrowminded can anyone get. Alan Shearer was probably the finest player you are ever likely to see in a Rovers shirt. He should be given a wonderful reception.

The guy wanted to play for his home team which I find to be quite right. Alright it is hard to take because we only want him to be a total Rovers man, but that is because of the pleasure of enormous proportions that he gave us all and we cant bear him to show love for another club.

We should be eternally grateful for the service he gave to us, even turning his back on Manchester United which in its self is a commendable decision these days.

Supporters have to understand that football today is entirely different from days gone by and we have to expect players will move clubs more and more for whatever reasons but that does'nt mean they dont have a great affection for clubs they have played for.

So come on give him a reception worth the enjoyment he gave us all in the time he was here and thank him for giving up his time to help Tony Parkes have a night to remember.

He does'nt have to come you know.

Anybody else hear the melancholy sound of a solo violin ?

Alan Shearer - one of, if not THE finest player to play fer't Rovers. tinykit.gif

HOWEVER...........he DID drop us in it when he left, and you can no more dress up the FA Cup Medal comment than you can polish a turd. Which is a shame really, because Newcastle are desperate for something to display in their trophy cabinet wink.gif

Edited by OnePost

Excellent posts from both Gav & Hasta.

However.......................can we just let all that old stuff lie down & die?

This is meant to be Parkes' testimomial. Hopefully a sunny evening, a bunch of ex Rovers' players having a kick-about, raise a few quid for Parkes (not that he probably needs it,) a bit of a laugh, a few pints, some Dingle chants. Enjoy an over-weight Garner being set up for a tap-in by someone or other. In all, the equal of a Sunday morning kick-about but on a Tuesday evening, and with nothing to play for.

Take it easy, it'll be a knock-around, nothing to get worked up about.

He has said in the past the first result he looks for on a Sat is to see how rovers have done. good chap

Means nothing............ the first result I look for on a Sat is the Dingles wink.gif

Got my tickets late Monday afternoon. Just 8 days before the game I was able to get 6 bang in the centre of the Blackburn End, which surprised me as I thought this would have been the 1st area of the B.E. stand to be snapped up.

I wonder how many of those people who bombarded the LET outraged by the club's treatment of Parkes' will let the great man down by not turning up themselves for his testamonial ?

Remember folks, this isn't about Shearer, that's just the icing on the cake, this is about giving Tony the send off he deserves !

Got my tickets late Monday afternoon. Just 8 days before the game I was able to get 6 bang in the centre of the Blackburn End, which surprised me as I thought this would have been the 1st area of the B.E. stand to be snapped up.

My seat is slap bang in the middle of the blackburn end and it had been sold to someone else by Saturday. However, I only needed to move 4 seats along to get an empty pair of seats. So it doesn't look good.

The thing is, the no-shows have the perfect excuse ...

Tony's game clashes with Tranmere v Hartlepool live on Sky.

Who in their right minds is gonna splash out a tenner on giving a decent and correct farewell to an all-time great servant of the Rovers??

when you could be down the boozer watching a meaningful play-off game for nowt?!

I can hear the excuses already ...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.