BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Testimonial

Guest Kamy100

I remember my late dad waking me up when i was about 9??ish and tony parkes was in the royal at abbey village and my dad was chatting to him and told him i was a rovers fan and tony parkes said bring me over to meet him and i remember going over in my jimmjams and dressing gown....

Well I dont usually let my lad go to night matches and as you know hes 6 ,when it was in the papers last summer linking a shearer return i told him all about shearer and us winning the league ,so when he asked what a testimonial was and why shearer was playing he begged me to let him see shearer play in a rovers shirt.......CMON GET YER ARSES DOWN TO EWOOD.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't surprise me.

Garner's testimonial last year got just around 9k.

Fans will go if they want, I'm not having a go at anyone because we generally go round in circles on topics like this.

It's dissapointing, I'll be there to give a big thank you to the brilliant work Tony Parkes has done for Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

Dalglish,Shearer,Newell,Speedie,Garner and Hendry some of THE biggest names in Rovers glorious past......what the hell do people want? what the ###### does the club have to do to raise interest now?

Your quite right Jan, the support and general interest as of late is very depressing.I've personally booked a nightshift off so as not to miss this one.

Roversismylife,Garners testimonial gate was just under 15,000.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Shearer playing up front with Garner! The stuff dreams are made of...and I'm on holiday.

I am so absolutely aghast not to get to the game.

This is the ideal opprutunity to pay homage to everything that is Rovers.

I know that this is for TP, but, if you can, put an extra loud cheer in for Uncle Jack and the team of heroes he built.

SIMON GARNERS 194 - Don't ask me why fans don't want to come.

The names you said, bring it all back. This is probably the only chance Rovers fans will get the chance to see Tony Parkes and most of the 94/95 team.

I can remember Ewood having 30k in, after we won the league when we had that special night at Ewood.

I'd like to know where everyone has gone, ah well.

I can remember Ewood having 30k in, after we won the league when we had that special night at Ewood.

I'd like to know where everyone has gone, ah well.

People have lives to live though and other things to do than watch 22 blokes kick a ball around - not every Rovers supporter will be as committed as the next. Every club has those that come every now and then. The problem is that those type of supporters no longer seem to be coming at all. After some seasons of going up or down we are now treading water. That isn't going to bring the fans back.

Personally I think we are witnessing something more than just supporters being turned off by negative football. Blackburn's support is declining (for various reasons) and unless we do something to address that it will become more difficult every season to remain in the Premiership.

It's dissapointing, I'll be there to give a big thank you to the brilliant work Tony Parkes has done for Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

Work that he got paid handsomely for every month. So if people don't want to line his pockets with their hard earned tenners then who can blame them.

Add to that that testimonial games are just crap and meaningless and also that Shearer and the others aren't really playing for Rovers. I find it incredible the number of people who seem to be getting a fix from seeing Shearer in a Rovers shirt again - it's not real.

These are just a number of reasons that will keep them away, doesn't make them poor supporters though and I would certainly never criticse anyone for not turning up.

I find it incredible the number of people who seem to be getting a fix from seeing Shearer in a Rovers shirt again - it's not real.

You mean it doesnt mean he is coming back? Oh shucks.....

Everyone knows it isnt "real", however. Seeing those players, in that kit, for one last time is very very real.

I for one will be there. On my own by the sounds of it, but Ill be there.

Work that he got paid handsomely for every month. So if people don't want to line his pockets with their hard earned tenners then who can blame them.

Add to that that testimonial games are just crap and meaningless and also that Shearer and the others aren't really playing for Rovers. I find it incredible the number of people who seem to be getting a fix from seeing Shearer in a Rovers shirt again - it's not real.

These are just a number of reasons that will keep them away, doesn't make them poor supporters though and I would certainly never criticse anyone for not turning up.

Yeah the idiots - what the 'eck are they doing staging some non-event so people might have a bit of fun, and at the same time say thanks to some old codger - if he worked there for 35 years then that's his look out.

In fact, what's this whole football thing all about? Just what does each 90 minutes achieve? It's clearly a total waste of everyones time, money and effort.

In fact, what's the point in being alive??

I find that incredible.

£10 for Tony Parkes - who I'm sure was paid handsomely - but not as well as the likes of Davies, Blake, Dailly, Grabbi etc (I could go on for a while here). All Parkes did was get us out of the @#/? on umpteen occasions.

Not that I want to criticise BRFC supporters for not turning up - it's just something that I'll never understand.

Not that I want to criticise BRFC supporters for not turning up - it's just something that I'll never understand.

Stop that with your non-argumentative rubbish. I had figured that one of the unwritten rules of this place was to berate and generally be single minded on as many subjects as possible...

Oh, and I can help you understand a little bit, being an armchair supporter myself.

Money. Cambridge is just to far away on my meagre part time salary sad.gif

Oh god.

Parkes did get paid well, he stuck with us through thick and thin.

Parkes served Rovers for 33 years, he saved us many times when managers left and kept our heads above water.

He left in a bad way, the fans I feel should give him the send off he deserves.

Credit to Parkes, he's not put ticket prices at expensive prices, I'd like to thank him, personally if I ever got the chance.

I trust the hundred's of 'disgusted from Blackburns' who vented their anger and sorrow through this message board and the LET sports letters page at Park's sacking will all be in attendance come Tues? rolleyes.gif

SURELY now is the time to show your appreciation of Tony in the proper manner.............................

Stop that with your non-argumentative rubbish. I had figured that one of the unwritten rules of this place was to berate and generally be single minded on as many subjects as possible...

Oh, and I can help you understand a little bit, being an armchair supporter myself.

Money. Cambridge is just to far away on my meagre part time salary sad.gif

Fair enough. That "Not that I want..." line is pretty feeble, mainly because I removed half of the post at the last minute (like you believe me). Too late now though eh? However, seeing how you mentioned it I'd better do some berating....

That's bloody pathetic - Cambridge! Cambridge?! I remember going there for a mid week match many moons ago (the one where we wanted "proper footballs" and the pitch was left long in the corners to suit their ball over the top approach) - didn't get back until the wee small hours - but I did it. And I was at College at the time. So don't give me all this crap about having a "part time salary" - it just won't wash. You should steal, borrow and beg - heaven knows you've had long enough to get the funds together.

That better for you?

That better for you?

No.... your *SO* mean....

And anyway, I dont profess to be an ultra-hardcore-die-for-the-club supporter. If I could goto every match I would (on £35 a week its not likely), but when I cant go, I dont fall about in tears. I go to the pub and spend all my money there instead biggrin.gif

I'm just wondering if anyone else fears for the future of Blackburn Rovers like i do?

Gates are falling worryingly, and now people just can't be arsed to turn out for what is being billed as a championship reunion party?

What the club achieved back in 1995 was nothing short of remarkable yet people just don't give a toss anymore and this attitude has been evident for the past few years with the falling gates.

Debs says i've been working in burnley to long but i'm starting to worry that burnley will sell more season tickets than we will, they've sold around 8500 so far.......

I fear for our club i really do.

rover.gif well i ain't going on tuesday,shift work saves the day for me,but i would not attend anyway as i went to mr parkes testemonial first time round.

one off sparkys better decisions this season was terminating tp's contract,the man is blue and white through and through,but there comes a time for everyone to move on.

tp has made plenty off money from brfc,he ain't on skid row,###### happens in life every day tinykit.gif

I'm just wondering if anyone else fears for the future of Blackburn Rovers like i do?

Gates are falling worryingly, and now people just can't be arsed to turn out for what is being billed as a championship reunion party?

What the club achieved back in 1995 was nothing short of remarkable yet people just don't give a toss anymore and this attitude has been evident for the past few years with the falling gates.

Debs says i've been working in burnley to long but i'm starting to worry that burnley will sell more season tickets than we will, they've sold around 8500 so far.......

I for one agree with your post Gav.

1995 reunion party and all that Waggy the cad can boast is that his shift has 'saved him' blink.gif.....is that attitude typical of our problems at the moment?

Burnley have somehow found 1,000 new season ticket holders according to their site,can you see that happening at Rovers?

Like it or not matters look very bleak.Philipl made a statement about support dropping to the p1ss poor level of the mid-60's,he has a very strong case at present I fear as the general interest and passion of even the hardcore supporter seems to be on the wane.

You aren't the only one worrying that the future looks tough. Too many people seem to be thinking that all we have to do is play good football and they will come back in droves. Sure, it will help a bit but we seem to be witnessing somewhat more than just a temporary decline I believe.

We've gone over the reasons a million times on here but the simple fact remains that not only have our attendances fallen but that even before then, we were getting enough in to compete near the top. It's also worrying that some seem to be saying that splashing out on big-names will do the trick. We have to bribe the supporters to return as they are no longer going to support the club through thick and thin, this despite being in the Premiership.

To echo GAV - "I fear for our club i really do." It was tough enough when we averaging over 25,000 but now we can't even rely upon that.

well i ain't going on tuesday,shift work saves the day for me,but i would not attend anyway as i went to mr parkes testemonial first time round.

tp has made plenty off money from brfc,he ain't on skid row,###### happens in life every day

Contemptible.

The club should keep a record of who attends games such as this and the next time there's limited availability for ANY game, people who have made statements such as this (and haven't attended) shouldn't be allowed one.

As Gav says, I fear for the future of the club. The average supporter has been spoilt, and like any spoilt brat demands more until it can't be satisfied. Then it just checks out and sulks. That's what a load of our supporters have done. They whine on about not being able to afford the ticket then spend more than that in the evening in the pub, discussing how great a supporter of "our" club they are, and what's gone wrong. Well, what's gone wrong is that the club has declining revenue because of our "great" support deserting in droves and can't afford to purchase the players the "supporters" demand. That in turn leads to a downward spiral and support of Burnley-like proportions in the Premiership!!!

I don't know what the remedy is, but unlike others I DO want to berate others.

As I said in a previous post, the reason people won't come back to Ewood is because we aren't challenging the big boys any more. We have always had low gates, simple as, it was only when Dalglish was here that a lot of people cam to follow him and see us win the league, and Jack Walkers money so us buy who we wanted. Fair weather supporters, they won't come to a restamonial because they don't know what TP did for us, because they wheren't around, probably went off supporting United again and Chelsae now as they are the champions.

Because and i don't mean this in a detremental way at all to Tony, it maybe our championship side but because the game doesn't mean anything in terms of honours then people won't be there.#

I for one will. Because it's Rovers, simple as.

To follow Gav's fears, I wrote this elsewhere and have edited slightly.

There were a number of us discussing the game last week and the season as a whole and it was alarming the numbers who don't propose to purchase a season ticket next year. One of which usually bought four tickets as a family. A number stated that with declining gates there is never a problem with getting match-day tickets at Ewood, and with so many games now televised it was more financially viable to pick and choose games. However the main factor was the lack of a *star* player, someone who made the hair on the back of your neck stand up, someone that made the crowd stand up when he got the ball, waiting in anticipation on what he would do. Someone you'd pay the admission fee just to see in action.

The consensus of opinion suggested that that in today's game there are very few clubs who now have this type of player, or if they do find a gem of this calibre he is quickly the target of the mega rich clubs, which helps to continually widen the gap making the Premiership a non-competitive league. With the virtual dominance by Chelsea, Man United and Arsenal the Premiership is quickly becoming a replica of the Scottish Premier League with the main challenge for the remaining teams being the avoidance of relegation.

To a degree I envied supporters in the Championship last Sunday as their teams fought for remaining play-off places and although I'm glad to be clear of the Premiership relegation battle, of supporters of Norwich, Southampton, Palace and West Brom who still have a weekend of excitement to look forward to. Rovers of course have a game this weekend at White Hart Lane, but who in their right mind wants to spend £34 a ticket, not to mention travel costs, to watch the lack lustre displays dished up this last couple of weeks, there isn't even a player in the team that gives that "buzz". A far cry from an end of season game between Spurs and Rovers 2 years ago when Rovers won 4-1 to finish sixth and qualify for Europe, with players such as Duff, Dunn, Jansen and Cole. Watching those player alone was worth the admission fee.

The people who followed Rovers prior to Jack Walker will continue, but I fear that a large per centage of those who joined during the revolution are outside the catchment area, so dont bother any more plus there is a worrying factor that the younger generation are now going off to university and finding occupation outside the Rovers catchment areas.

I'll be coming to the match. This season I had stopped coming up for midweek games dues to staff meetings on a Tuesday, distance, cost etc, etc. but i wasn't going to miss this game for anything. Missing the staff meeting and driving up and back down in the same night as I can't just book days off.

Not surprised only disappointed by the ticket sales. Should be a wicked night.JUst hope my sore throat has disappeared by then.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.