BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wayne Rooney,role Model?

Good luck to Rooney . One of the few honest players left . When he starts diving around like a prima donna on the pitch I may change my mind ....but until then , I'll judge the "chav" comments for what they are ....pure snobbery .

what about the dive under the challenge of sol campbell at OT in the game that ended arsenal's record breaking unbeaten run?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing snobbish about expecting good behaviour anyway. Time was when working class parents were the greatest disciplinarians. Ordinary folk like me would never have dared let our parents or family down by letting anyone sugest we were badly brought up. We might have been broke but we knew how to show respect where it was appropriate.

Because in the olden days nobody ever mis-behaved.

Talk about romaticising the past

what about the dive under the challenge of sol campbell at OT in the game that ended arsenal's record breaking unbeaten run?

I can't remember every incident he's been in ....my point is that he shouldn't really rate in the worst 50 or so of premiership players when it comes to cheating and diving .

Mind you his kissing of the UTD shirt last night moves him up a few places .. :unsure:

Myra Hindley, Jack the Ripper and Hitler were all time travellers from 2007 ;).

Anyway, Rooney isn't a role model as he is a fat chav with a bad temper. Although having aid that, he has toned it down over the last year. OK, apart from Mickey Gray. And the incident that's being investigated by the police at the mo.

I wrote about six months (or so) ago that I thought Rooney had become a decent role-model - after thinking he was a total chav at the time he signed for Manure. He was being criticised in the media, but stood up and changed his attitude both on and off the pitch.

I think he's regressed a bit the last few months though, coincidentally from when the media started to treat him better. Just a feeling I've got, it might be the other way around for all I know..

edit: The clip where Rio "Ashton wannabe" Ferdinand tricks him during the World Cup shows a different side of him though, I think it's on Youtube. He seems like a shy guy..

Edited by herbergeehh

I didn't say nobody misbehaved. Of course they did but large numbers of people were kept on the straight and narrow because it really did matter that you didn't let your family down. Breakdown of families, in particular people moving away from their home area, as well as other social factors means that the family is no longer the influence it once was. When it wasn't just your mum and/or dad knowing and watching what you were up to but half the local population being related to you or knowing one of your relatives, it really was different. I'm not romanticising the past - we all know there were awful things went on, perhaps more so than now - and we all know that there have always been kids who get into trouble just as adults do.

• 10 months later...

Apart from being a nauseating individual, Rooney is probably the most over rated player in the England set up. He has never lived up to his early hype, particularly for England. Not the type of person I want to see representing my country. :angry:

Apart from being a nauseating individual, Rooney is probably the most over rated player in the England set up. He has never lived up to his early hype, particularly for England. Not the type of person I want to see representing my country. :angry:

No, that goal he scored the other night was proper @#/?.

No, that goal he scored the other night was proper @#/?.

About time he scored one wasn't it? (and it was offside) He is a repugnant individual who I do not want to see representing my country. I believe that is AESF's point too.

MAN United ace WAYNE ROONEY will be getting a guitar painted Manchester City blue for his birthday after a blunder by COLEEN McLOUGHLIN.

Fiancee Coleen, 21, asked OASIS star NOEL GALLAGHER to sign an instrument for Roo – a big fan of the band.

But Noel, 40, famous for hits including Wonderwall and Some Might Say, is a die-hard fan of United’s arch-rivals City.

He immediately hatched a plan to have the guitar sprayed light blue. Noel also scrawled his own message on it to Wayne: “Happy Birthday Fatboy.”

Scouser Coleen had it sent to Noel’s record label in London to be signed in time for England striker Wayne’s 22nd birthday tomorrow. The guitarist and singer was dumbstruck by the request, but was only too happy to have a bit of fun.

A source said: “Noel couldn’t believe it. Mancs and Scousers haven’t been the closest of friends – and asking a City fanatic to sign a guitar for a United player is a red rag to a bull. It was a gift for Noel – he loves a wind-up.”

It is not the first time Noel has left an outrageous message for a United player.

He was asked to sign a guitar for defender GARY NEVILLE in 2000 and scrawled “Happy birthday k***head” on it.

He's a very good player, I think people forget that he is only 22. You'd be jealous of any other international side if they had him and you'd worship him if he played for Blackburn. He's got a temper, but he actually seems like a decent person when you see him interviewed and things. The problem is that the culture in modern day football almost encourages the bad traits that you see in him and others.

He's a very good player, I think people forget that he is only 22. You'd be jealous of any other international side if they had him and you'd worship him if he played for Blackburn. He's got a temper, but he actually seems like a decent person when you see him interviewed and things. The problem is that the culture in modern day football almost encourages the bad traits that you see in him and others.

I wouldn't be suprised if you argued that the Pope was a Protestant.

To be fair on this one, he's a snarling chavvy beast on the field but a friend of mine has interviewed him and says that he's a very quiet, shy, normal guy when not playing football.

That said, this does not mean that Eddie wouldn't argue that black was actually white.

Maybe I just don't have a problem telling people when I disagree with them on an internet messageboard? Or is that not what they are for?

Good point Eddie. You should remember it. And read some of your own posts from when you've been unable to defend an untenable point of view and people haven't had a problem telling you!

The old RFW has proved again that he is the best man manager in the business. He has guided bad boy Rooney into a model professional. The tantrums and hissy fits are a thing of the past, he rarely retaliates or questions a referees decision over strongly. Gazza could have saved his career and improved his life no end if he had gone to the Manchester scum instead of the London scum under that cockney teflon wideboy Venables.

The old RFW has proved again that he is the best man manager in the business. He has guided bad boy Rooney into a model professional. The tantrums and hissy fits are a thing of the past, he rarely retaliates or questions a referees decision over strongly. Gazza could have saved his career and improved his life no end if he had gone to the Manchester scum instead of the London scum under that cockney teflon wideboy Venables.

Some way still to go yet he has been goo recently, but Rooney can be an obnoxious little sh1t at times and im waiting for his next little blow out.

Got to agree with you BRFC4EVA. Rooney is still an obnoxious little so and so on the field and all that anger just bubbles away under the surface waiting for him to get frustrated again. I wouldn't want any child I had any conection with thinking Rooney was a suitable role model.

• 7 months later...

Rooney's rage 'threatens team-mates' warns Capello

Told at the half-time interval by Capello to calm down after a reckless challenge in the first-half, the warning went unheeded. Rooney was fortunate not to have been sent off against the USA on Wednesday night, as indeed he was fortunate not to have been sent off against Northern Ireland at Windsor Park in a World Cup qualifier in September 2005.

Rooney was also lucky not to have been sent off against Spain in a friendly at the Bernabeu stadium in November 2004, when Rooney's wild moments of madness included pushing the Spanish goalkeeper Casillas over the stands. Rooney had to be substituted by Eriksson before half-time on 42 minutes that evening to save him from what seemed to be an inevitable forthcoming red card. When being substituted, Rooney compounded his petulance by tearing off the black armband worn in memory of Emlyn Hughes who had died prior to the match.

As the Spanish winger Joaquin noted after that game: "It was like Rooney was on another planet. I asked him, 'What are you doing?' I looked into his eyes and there was nothing there. It was as if he didn't know where he was."

Perhaps he thought he was still in the backstreets of the Croxteth housing estate where he grew up, when he could get away with behaving like a wild animal. But when he's representing my country and pulling on the white shirt of England he ought to learn to behave himself.

Fabio Capello said after the match on Wednesday: "I have to speak with Rooney and explain to him that he mustn't do these tackles." Indeed, but Rooney has been warned before, and he continually chooses to ignore such warnings. Eriksson said that he was going to speak to him after his shameful performance in the Bernabeu stadium in 2004, but Rooney hasn't heeded the advice.

Isn't it about time he grew up? He'll be 23 soon, so he's not a little kid anymore. I get sick of some pundits in the media making excuses for him and saying that he's still only young. He's an adult now and he's old enough to know better.

I also get irritated with people saying that in Alex Ferguson he's got the right manager to look after him and curb his temperament. Last season Rooney was shown a yellow card 14 times while playing for Man United and England, so the myth that Ferguson is the right man to turn him into some kind of angel simply doesn't stand up when you look at Rooney's disciplinary record.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.