BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Future

We've got some work planned over the next few weeks in tidying up and upgrading the messageboard/site in general.

This is going to mean a few things

1) Some of our features will be unavailable while the work is going on. I can imagine there are a few fixes required after we upgrade the MB.

2) We will be tidying up the old threads, so now is the time to nominate a thread for MB gold.

3) Large threads such as transfer thread and word association thread will be deleted.

4) We will find a new working chat interface.

So, over to you to nominate or suggest anything. For example - New features, forums, remove post counts etc.

We intend to start shortly after the Spurs game is finished, and hope to get the new messageboard up and running asap.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New feature...

How about after each game having a poll for people to vote for man of the match? Start up a league and whoever has the most moms at the end of the season could get a supporters award?

silly request maybe, but I'd like it if once you go over 2000 posts you have something else to achieve other then Champs league, what about 5000 euro champs and 10000 World Cup or something

and also i liked knowing when people joined on the old board, it use to be on the left hand side when someone posted

Edited by chris

and also i liked knowing when people joined on the old board, it use to be on the left hand side when someone posted

Its stored in your profile - ie I can see you joined in May-01 by clicking on your name. There must be a way of adding it on..

One change I would like to see is when posting. I would like to see the spell check moved and replaced with the post button, swap places for the two. I've lost count of the number of times I've clicked spell check instead of adding my reply. Bit nit picky but there it is. I am sure about 4000 other would like it left alone, that's fine.

As I get older and my memory fades I would like a way of knowing where the hell I posted last, sometimes I simply forget.

Edited by USABlue

Its stored in your profile - ie I can see you joined in May-01 by clicking on your name. There must be a way of adding it on..

I can't see much point in adding that joining date to post information, it would just be used as another excuse to not read someone's post as they "only joined yesterday".

Of course I may be wrong and it could be a wonderful feature!

- Sometimes if I go onto a forum, the messageboard for example, but then close the window without reading anything. When I go back to the forum it says that I've read all the threads when I haven't.

- I think all the match preview threads, which turn into the thread for each match should be saved - maybe stick them all in the match report forum. So that all the links in my match report section (which i will update soon i promise) dont break smile.gif but also because there are many good previews and reports in there

- can the 'people currently online' be brought back. i know there's been quite a few problems with this, but for some reason i like knowing who else is on the board at the same time

Edited by cn174

- can the 'people currently online' be brought back. i know there's been quite a few problems with this, but for some reason i like knowing who else is on the board at the same time

Good call Claire! I'll 2nd that

Good call Claire! I'll 2nd that

mad.gif Claire?! Its C L A R E - its even written on my avatar for your convenience withstupid.gif

But that brings onto another point. A bit ago someone asked about the feasibility of having something that can make sure that players names are spelt correctly. It doesn't really bother me - Friedel/Friedal/Freidel - I can fathom out who its menna be smile.gif but it does seem to irritate some people greatly! Maybe a modification of the swear filter or something might work.

- Sometimes if I go onto a forum, the messageboard for example, but then close the window without reading anything. When I go back to the forum it says that I've read all the threads when I haven't.

- I think all the match preview threads, which turn into the thread for each match should be saved - maybe stick them all in the match report forum. So that all the links in my match report section (which i will update soon i promise) dont break smile.gif but also because there are many good previews and reports in there

Most of your points will be fixed by the new messageboard

We removed anonymous users as for some reason it stopped working, and we felt it unfair on those who need to keep their status quiet (btw.. Admin can AlWAYS see who is online).

Its down to us as admin/mods to move the preview/report threads into the match report section. One more for the list.

3) Large threads such as transfer thread and word association thread will be deleted.

Please can we not start another Word Association Thread. It's boring, pointless and is just being used by members to get their Post Count up.

A. If you don't like it, don't read it.

B. If they don't show post counts anymore, people would still post in it. It's a fun thread for some of us.

One change I would like to see is when posting. I would like to see the spell check moved and replaced with the post button, swap places for the two. I've lost count of the number of times I've clicked spell check instead of adding my reply. Bit nit picky but there it is. I am sure about 4000 other would like it left alone, that's fine.

As I get older and my memory fades I would like a way of knowing where the hell I posted last, sometimes I simply forget.

Click on your name, then find all posts. top of the list is the most recent!

I may be wrong but I dont think the site will be down for a great amount of time.

I think most of the work will be done in the background whilst this board is still up and running, with as much testing as possible done on it. Then it will go live and replace this board. This will minimise the amount of time he messageboard isn't available.

How long do you anticipate the MB will be down for whilst the upgrade takes place?

Thats the 64000 dollar question.

I'm hoping it will be a reasonably short amount of time before we let people back on a board. There will however likely be an amount of work in progress ongoing afterwards - ie skinning, and testing of new feature in situ.

I dont think we will run with a test board and the old board while we develop as we have in the past.

The guys who write the messageboard software offer free upgrades as part of the license, so we may as well use their technical nouse.

A. If you don't like it, don't read it.

B. If they don't show post counts anymore, people would still post in it. It's a fun thread for some of us.

Agreed, I still enjoy it and I no longer have anymore levels or anything like that so no motive like that behind it.

We can flag entire forums so they don't effect your post count, how do the word association people feel about having that thread in a different section, so we can do that ? Alternatively we could make ALL of ICBINF not count towards your post count.

As for avatars. We could do that now. The reason we've disabled it (athough it seemed to become re-enabled for a short while) is to stop people having huge avatars or having copyright infringing ones. The same can be said for sigs.

The messageboard should be down for a relatively short time, but all the add-ons we've installed or written will need to be re-introudced. The most obvious of these is the news on the front page, then things like chat, gallery, member map etc. Plus TChocky's funky "skin" for the website will need updating so even some options may be missing just because there isn't a button on the skin to get there.

So don't be expecting a complete lack of service for too long, but expect it to be some time before everything is fully working (that said, so much is currently broken that you might not notice the difference smile.gif ).

If the post counts end up staying then I think they should stay for all threads.

I don't see there being a problem with users bumping their post count through the word association thread. At least a contribution is being made to the board as a whole. If the count is limited to certain areas or threads then this enhances the idea that there is a status attached to the post count which maybe there shouldn't be.

For the Avatars, it would be nice to see them back for a while. Maybe in a moderated fashion or perhaps run through a filter once they've been applied to make sure they are of only a certain size.

I can see the issue with copyrighted pictures but surely the Simpsons pictures and some of the others already on the boards are also copyrighted?

Edited by Biddy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.