BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Glazer Set For Utd

In other words; In the end the supporters pay the whole party for him.

That's true of any club.

Of course I know that....

However at which price?

By the way, I'm only writing what I know the case is amongst Scum supporters, it's not my concerns.

I'm actually enjoying this, funniest thing in footy since we played the dingles cool.gif

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaargh American.

I'm not and have not said Glazer won't make money out of the Mancs.

I am saying there is not enough in the ManU "franchise" to generate the money he needs from Man U without also doing massive damage to the rest of football- particularly to a club like Blackburn Rovers.

To come up with the size of cash surplusses he needs, he has to swing TV money away from the other Prem clubs and into the pockets of the Mancs. I cannot see any realistic alternative.

He would also be very much in favour of European super league to generate the cash he needs from the Mancs.

That is why the guy is an absolute menace.

However, that isn't to say there is no risk the Mancs will be a financial bloody nose for Glazer.

He is gambling many millions on the Mancs not getting turned over in the third qualifying round of the Champs League next season for a start- a call to Ibrox will tell him what that feels like.

Then Managers like Moyes, Benitez, Allardyce, Jol, McLaren (and dare we hope?) Hughes might continue to make significant relative improvements compared with the Mancs whilst Chelsea and Arsenal disappear over the horizon. Is it that difficult to envisage the Mancs spending ?20m on transfers this summer and continuing to slide? I doubt ?20m is enough to buy sufficient Champs League- quality players to plug all the gaps in the current Manc squad.

Plus, under rule changes proposed by UEFA today, the Mancs would have too much debt in 2007 to be granted a license to enter European competition.

None of these scenarios in themselves is individually very probable but add them all up and Glazer is gambling with a lot of other people's money.

Meantime Mr loyalty Steve Bruce signals his willingness to work for Glazer.

It's all hugely entertaining really.

I know its hillarious

I agree, this has the potential to ruin Man united, how can anyone not find it fun? biggrin.gif Perhaps all their money and greed has caught up with them, if they had united fans in charge instead of those 2 irishmen this situation couldnt have happened. However as they are so driven by money, the irishmen are in charge and this has happened, a lesson there.

Exactly who do you mean by they? Is there a choice for who is in charge? Who would pick whether the fans were in charge or the Irishmen? Do you really understand what it is you are saying? I don't.

If I was a United fan, I would be really really concerned but then again I would not have left early at our last home game either. My gut feeling is that this spells the end of Man U, I get the feeling Glazer is ego driven and if that is the case once he takes control he is going to have to pee on all four corners, show who's boss I expect nothing but trouble for Man U.

I know most of you hate them but they are to be commended for helping make the EPL a household (well better known) name over here.

Whilst this appears to be rather amusing at the moment, there is one potential issue that would affect rovers.

I agree with Ste B that while it's nice to see Red Scum fans up in arms, in the long-term the bearded American gnome could be bad news for the whole of football.

One of Glazer's main interests would be to increase the profitability of United's TV rights. I'd be concerned that a break-up of collective TV Premiership rights would benefit the richer clubs at the expense of smaller ones.

Glazer is a dangerous man - "a snake in sheep's clothing" as one American judge put it.

He's a man who breaks his promises. When buying the Buccaneers, he promised the Tampa authorities he would go halves on a new stadium with them. After getting control, he backed out of the deal and gave Tampa two years to build it themselves or he would move the team to another city. The Jewish tycoon then sued Tampa fans for defamation after they complained about being moved to inferior seats at the new stadium.

When Glazer owned a trailor park he put up the rents for elderly residents and tried to charge tenants extra for having pets and babies. He was known as the "slumlord".

Glazer's sister says: "No one who has ever worked with him has a good word to say about him. He's incredibly mean."

I don't think the United players will be too happy about Glazer taking over. (Especially Rio Ferdinand who's trying to get his hands on a 120 grand a week pay deal.)

This is what some of United's players had to say earlier in the season:

Ole Gunnar Solskaer: "I'm absolutely on the side of the fans who don't want him at the club."

Ryan Giggs: "Of course we sympathise with the views of the fans."

Rio Ferdinand: "The club's interest should be with people who have grown up with the club."

I hope Mr Glazer does as much damage to United as possible without damaging the whole of football....

user posted image

Whilst this appears to be rather amusing at the moment, there is one potential issue that would affect rovers.

I agree with Ste B that while it's nice to see Red Scum fans up in arms, I'm concerned that in the long-term the bearded American gnome could be bad news for the whole of football.

One of Glazer's main interests would be to increase the profitability of TV rights. A break-up of the collective TV Premiership rights would benefit the richer clubs at the expense of smaller ones.

Glazer is a dangerous man - "a snake in sheep's clothing" as one American judge put it.

When buying the Buccaneers, he promised the Tampa authorities he would go halves on a new stadium with them. After getting control, he backed out of the deal and gave Tampa two years to build it themselves or he would move the team to another city. The Jewish tycoon then sued Tampa fans for defamation after they complained about being moved to inferior seats at the new stadium.

When Glazer owned a trailor park he put up the rents for elderly residents and tried to charge tenants extra for having pets and babies. He was known as the "slumlord".

As Glazer's sister says: "No one who has ever worked with him has a good word to say about him. He's incredibly mean."

I don't think the United players will be too happy with Glazer taking over. (Especially Rio Ferdinand who's trying to get his hands on a 120 grand a week pay deal.)

This is what some of the players had to say earlier in the season:

Ole Gunnar Solskaer: "I'm absolutely on the side of the fans who don't want him at the club."

Ryan Giggs: "Of course we sympathise with the views of the fans."

Rio Ferdinand: "The club's interest should be with people who have grown up with the club and have got it's interest at heart."

I hope that Mr Glazer does as much damage to United without damaging the whole of football....

user posted image

In fairness, if he fecks up the EPL for a few years, it will drive prices into the ground, and although it may see us drop to League One sort of status, given that we have the JW Trust behind us, it could see us rise quite astronomically. Of course thats the rosy side, and I'd rather he just bugger ManUre up, but sticking lots of teams in the financial shitter wouldnt effect us as many of the current Prem clubs, and clubs that would suffer when promoted.

Although the chances are we'd go down and stay down, but hey ho, if it saw Man Utd play non-league it would be almost worth it.

Now I am in dream-land...

Is there any possible way that this could turn out to be a good thing for Manchester United?

To be fair to Glazer, he's been very successful with American football teams (I'm sure our American chums can fill us in here). However, as I understand it, he's achieved his success at the expense of the fans by hiking up ticket prices and basically selling the soul of the club / team.

As Man U doesn't have a soul anyway though I'm not sure what he'll do at United.

...in 1997, he decided that his team's uniforms were too "girly" so he ditched the orange and red pirate, and adopted darker red, metallic "pewter", and black as the new colors, and changed the logo into a skull and pirate flag... most people agree that the new uniforms are much more professional... however, it may be a bad omen for man u fans, since glazer was so quick to discard tradition...

Which might mean that, abandoning all tradition, he might build one of these over Old Trafford to match the one at the Buccaneers' stadium...

user posted imagebiggrin.gif

And, yes, they really do fire cannon when the Bucs score...

Edited by seahawkdad

To come up with the size of cash surplusses he needs, he has to swing TV money away from the other Prem clubs and into the pockets of the Mancs. I cannot see any realistic alternative.

I don't think the UK rights are the issue, I see him more going on his own for overseas rights, especially here in the US and in the Far East. Currently on the Yankee's TV network (YES), they show all MU matches on a 3 or 4 day delayed basis. He probably wants to make a way to show all matches live on PPV or Satellite feeds to pubs here in the states, much like Celtic and Rangers currently do.

From what I understand, the overseas rights do not bring much in to Rovers, so he would be making a new market, not taking away from an existing one.

As for the trailer parks, god forbid someone try to get market value rents for their properties. That might be evil and capitalistic, a PLC wouldn't want that kind of owner. [/sarcasm]

Interesting theory from an English co-worker United fan over visiting: He thinks that Beckham will be back in Manchester next season.

Is there any possible way that this could turn out to be a good thing for Manchester United?

To be fair to Glazer, he's been very successful with American football teams (I'm sure our American chums can fill us in here). However, as I understand it, he's achieved his success at the expense of the fans by hiking up ticket prices and basically selling the soul of the club / team.

As Man U doesn't have a soul anyway though I'm not sure what he'll do at United.

...in 1997, he decided that his team's uniforms were too "girly" so he ditched the orange and red pirate, and adopted darker red, metallic "pewter", and black as the new colors, and changed the logo into a skull and pirate flag... most people agree that the new uniforms are much more professional... however, it may be a bad omen for man u fans, since glazer was so quick to discard tradition...

Which might mean that, abandoning all tradition, he might build one of these over Old Trafford to match the one at the Buccaneers' stadium...

user posted imagebiggrin.gif

And, yes, they really do fire cannon when the Bucs score...

Or Utd could end up actually PLAYING in that Stadium.

He would also be very much in favour of European super league to generate the cash he needs from the Mancs.

That is why the guy is an absolute menace.

At present the rules are such that a large majority (3/4 ?) of the premier league clubs would have to approve of any change to the current method of distributing TV money . They are hardly likely to do that . (Whether or not future internet scourced money could bypass that is another issue ...)

As for any so called Euro "super" league - well , it wouldn't have the tradition to generate any serious money . A cup competition is one thing ; fans , however , would soon lose any interest in MU playing Bruges , Eindhoven etc twice a season ...Fans like their tradition . They like a bit of passion which only the prem can offer on a week to week basis .

For those of us who are interested in football and a truly competitive league NOT based solely on monetary values a breakaway Euro league would be like manna from heaven . If Glazer manages to change the premier league by taking away the "big" clubs , he'll go my xmas card list .

I tend to think that there simply isn't any more money to be squeezed from "real" fans in England - and subsequently the prawn sandwich clubs will lose their marketability .

Thought I'd throw my two cents in on the whole issue.

American, what you quoted from the Guardian makes a lot of sense, but when you consider Glazer's age and his primary goal (to make money), it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to think that he would spend just enough to keep United in the Champions League whilst drastically hiking ticket and merchandising prices in order to maximize profit. As philip said, "Is it that difficult to envisage the Mancs spending ?20m on transfers this summer and continuing to slide? I doubt ?20m is enough to buy sufficient Champs League- quality players to plug all the gaps in the current Manc squad."

The end product of this scenario? Glazer keeps the team competitive enough for the next five to ten years so that he can make money off of them, then sucks them dry for everything they're worth, leaving them in an incredibly shaky position when he sells them at as large a profit as possible.

As for how he's going to maximize that profit, one way is to purchase marketable players, e.g. Beckham (as you suggested as a possibility, American). Glazer could urge/force whatever manager is under him to purchase the Beckhams and Figos of the world--good players still, to be sure, but ones who won't benefit the club long-term on the pitch. Off the pitch, however, they would allow Glazer to maximize merchandising profit.

Other possibilities include the aforementioned European Superleague, which is certainly a scary prospect. As I said above, if Glazer is really in it to make as much money as possible--as it certainly seems he is--then he'll explore every possible avenue for doing so, regardless of any traditions. As others have said, it will be up to the other European clubs to reject any notion of such a Superleague in order to preserve the integrity of football as a whole. Much of this is brought up in a Soccernet article which discusses some of these possibilities.

Soccernet.com article: "Sold Trafford"

In the end I have to say that I echo AESF's thoughts on the matter:

I hope Mr Glazer does as much damage to United as possible without damaging the whole of football....

Oh, and I almost forgot to add that I'd love to see the following, because these two would be absolutely perfect for each other:

Edited by Philly Rover ®

American, I am not completely sure about the overseas rights but...

The Premiership division of cash between the clubs did not decrease by as much as the drop in Sky income when the CEU misguidedly got involved (but didn't pursue a far more monopolistic deal in France) because international TV rights revenues rose from GBP 100m to GBP 180m and were distributed as part of the Premiership pool. In other words, if its a Prem game, the Prem sells it whether you are in Boston Lincs or Boston MA.

Rantic and Celgers of course screwed an opt out from the Sunday Pubbers to get as much TV revenue as they could squeeze to earn the right to come bottom of whatever Euro mini-Group they could claw their way into.

I accept that Glazer must believe he can make money out of the Mancs and he has obviously convincved NM Rothschild that he can write a business plan to support somebody lending him £550m for his transatlantic buccaneering and changing ball shapes.

However, NM Rothschilds (a small player with a big name) only really needed convincing the £790m was going to be there when needed and as soon as they had sussed Cubic would be predictably self-interested they were on to earning a VERY SPECTACULAR fee from a "difficult" deal. The brand of corporate dope the Glazers are on is none of the Rothschild business so long as there were enough (American?) Fund Managers sniffing the stuff to bankroll the Glazers.

JP Morgan walked out of this transaction, remember, and that says everything an intelligent person needs to know about this deal:

IT STINKS.

Irrespective of TV rights, Euro Leagues or whatever, the Glazers have leveraged their own GBP250m to buy GBP800m of assets. You can therefore be sure:

1) The Glazers will asset strip and do whatever they need to do to MUFC to make sure their own GBP250m comes home safe to the family with a healthy return on top (that will be the real game- get their own cash out and the external lenders can cry the way they did at Leeds if things don't work out).

2) If the Glazers do not succeed in breaking the 14% of MUFC currently in the hands of the Independent Shareholders sufficiently to own 90% of MUFC which would mean they can force the sale of the remaining 10% to themselves, the legal battles over minority interest as the Glazers attempt to do what they need to do could become immense.

Post Script- A different part of JP Morgan from the corporate deal makers has loaned Glazer GBP 250m.

Also Shareholders United hold 8% of Man U and not 14% as was claimed at one time. This will explain why Man U's share price now stands at 1.5p ABOVE the 300p Glazer offer price. There could be a battle for that key 2% of Man U in which case they are free to offer over 300p but Glazer cannot without raising his offer to every shareholder- the difficulty for Shareholders United is finding GBP 4m for that 2% knowing that all it will do is buy the right to spend a lot on lawyers and be used to frustrate the business objectives of the majority shareholder and therefore be effectively valueless from the moment it is "invested".

Edited by philipl

Friends, Rovers, countrymen, lend me your ears;

I come to bury manure, not to praise them.

The evil that men do lives after them;

The good is oft interred with their bones;

So let it be with manure. The nob'ead scum

Hath told you manure were ambitious:

If it were so, it was a grievous fault,

And grievously hath manure answer'd it.

Here, under leave of Glazer and the press -

For Glazer is an honourable man;

So are they all, all honourable men -

Come I to speak at manure's funeral.

They weren't my friends - scum, and not just to me:

But Glazer says he is ambitious;

And Glazer is an honourable man.

He hath brought many captives home to Tampa

Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:

Did this in manure seem suspicious?

When that the poor have cried, manure hath laughed:

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:

Yet Glazer says he was ambitious;

And Glazer is an honourable man.

You all did see that at the Buccaneers

Who oft presented him a kingly crown,

Which he did never refuse: was this ambition?

Yet Glazer says he was ambitious;

And, sure, he is an honourable man.

I speak not to disprove what Glazer spoke,

But here I am to speak what I do know.

You all did hate him once, not without cause:

What cause withholds you then, to worship him?

O judgment! thou art fled to brutish @#/?s,

And manure have lost their reason. Bear with me;

My laughter is in the coffin there with manure,

And I must hope it doesn't come back to me.

Talking to my mate who's a ST at Old Trafford. He has been to all the demo's etc and was saying that the Fans are thinking of setting up a break away club like Wimbledon fans did when they relocated. Don't know if it will happen but they seem pretty P***ed off.

Anybody else heard this tune pop into their head today ?

I know a fat old policeman

He's always on our street.

A fat and jolly red-faced man

He really is a treat

He never can stop laughing

He says he's never tried.

But once he did arrest a man

And laughed until he cried!

Oh ho ho ho ho ho ho. Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ho ho ho ho ho ho ho. Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Edited by OnePost

Tashor, that is brilliant!

An interesting juxtaposition- the BBC reports that the American Football authorities have started an investigation into whether Glazer used the Tampa franchise as collateral to finance the borrowings to buy Man U.

In contrast, here is a ringing indictment of the English FA and its inability to regulate English soccer.

Business Week is not exactly impressed by what the Glazers are doing.

The Daily Telegraph analysis of the Glazer take over:

"For a club who declared net half-yearly profits of £12 million, a debt of £265 million would be difficult to service. As a comparison, Real Madrid, the one football brand that can compete globally with Manchester United, had debts of £190 million when they were crowned champions of Europe in 2000. Madrid's crisis was solved only by the sale of their training ground, an option not open to Glazer. (The Real training ground was on a prime location in central Madrid for which Madrid City Council paid what is commonly regarded as a massively inflated price)

"...Aside from the £265 million debt United are taking on, Glazer is also financing the deal by issuing securities worth £275 million which the club are not liable for but which the Glazer family are.

"It may not be the club's money but that additional £275 million is borrowed money and Glazer will have to service that and the easiest way of doing it is to squeeze Manchester United some more," Towle (Supporters United) said, while noting that there was no mention of the £20 million summer investment package that Glazer has promised Ferguson.

"The total borrowings of the Glazer family to finance the deal are £540 million - nearly 70 per cent of the £790 million valuation of the bid. The options open to Malcolm Glazer to increase revenue to service these debts are limited.

"The most lucrative would be to withdraw from the Premier League's collective bargaining on television rights and sign his own contracts to screen Manchester United games.

"The Premier League's chief executive, Richard Scudamore, said that given three-quarters of the Premier League would have to vote for it, it was "almost impossible" that the deal, presently worth £1.1 billion, would be scrapped when it expires in two years' time.

"In Florida, where Glazer came to sporting prominence, there were concerns that he may have to sell his American football club, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, to finance the deal. He would leave them as he found them. They were bottom of the NFL then and they are in the basement now."

Finally, The Independent argues that the sensible option for Ferguson is to walk now.

From this morning's Guardian:

"Manchester United's greatest enemy for the moment is uncertainty, an emotion widely shared by the bulk of the clubs in the four national divisions with Cambridge United, who have gone out of the league and into administration, not least among them. There never was only one United.

"The opposite happened at Stamford Bridge two summers ago when, with the arrival of Roman Abramovich, Chelsea's debts vanished overnight. At the last count of personal wealth Glazer was some £7bn worse off than Abramovich, not to mention being twice as old. Unlike Abramovich he needs a quick and healthy return from his investment.

"Such contrasts will hardly ease the fears of United followers the world over. Attempting to soothe their nerves Glazer has promised to make £20m a season available for new signings, which would this summer bring Manchester United's spending power into line with Wigan Athletic's.

"Old Trafford supporters have little option but to wait and see if their fears about hikes in admission prices and the cost of merchandise are justified. Glazer may indeed regard Manchester United as a cash cow but Martin Edwards was hardly a reincarnation of Andrew Carnegie, making a fortune by selling off his shares following the 1991 flotation. Business was business then and it still is, though with a vengeance.

"All of which makes it a rum time for the Premier League to be telling Lord Terence Burns, the man engaged in a review of the Football Association, that the FA is unsustainable in its present form. Given the lack of a shark net to spare a club like Manchester United the attentions of financial hammerhead like Glazer, the FA might feel entitled to say the same about the Premier League.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, up or down, Norwich City fans are now entitled to feel more at ease than those of Manchester United. Norwich's entire team cost a quarter of the sum United paid for Wayne Rooney and even if they are relegated, the club's future is secure.

"Meanwhile, Old Trafford may be catching echoes of mocking laughter born on an easterly wind from somewhere the other side of the Pennines. Or to be more precise, Elland Road, Leeds."

"In Florida, where Glazer came to sporting prominence, there were concerns that he may have to sell his American football club, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, to finance the deal. He would leave them as he found them. They were bottom of the NFL then and they are in the basement now."

Just thought I'd add a sidenote to that. That statement doesn't quite tell the whole story: the Buccaneers did win a Super Bowl three years back, they have a sparkling new stadium, and they are certainly no longer the perennial laughingstock they once were.

On the other hand, they're once again near the bottom of the league (as mentioned), saddled with an overaged roster and not nearly enough talent. Glazer's rampant pursuit of current Head Coach Jon Gruden may have won him the Super Bowl, but that sort of "go for broke" strategy no doubt plays a large role in the team's current plight.

My point is that Glazer basically went with a policy of "win now no matter what the long term ramifications" in Tampa Bay... might a similar strategy for Man U leave them up the creek without a paddle in several years time?

Oh, and nice adaptation tashor, a good read!

Sorry to bang on about this but The Independent neatly encapsulates what is at stake:

"The spectre of astronomical debts haunted the world's biggest football club last night as details emerged of the deal thathanded an American tycoon control of Manchester United.

"Malcolm Glazer, the 76-year-old businessman who took over the Old Trafford giant on Thursday, sent fresh shockwaves through the club's huge fan base when he unveiled the full funding details of his £790m takeover.

"He confirmed that he will borrow £540m to finance the deal and it is estimated that he will need to spend £46m a year in interest payments alone to service the debt. That equates to a staggering £126,164 per day before any capital repayments are made. The prospect of massive debts has been the main cause of trepidation among fans, who are also dismayed that a foreign tycoon with no background in football is on the verge of total control of their historic club. (American, I UNDERESTIMATED Glazer's cost of debt service- those numbers indicate that the debt he is taking on is pretty well junk status: i.e. the lenders expect a high risk of the loan going bad).

"The interest payments are put in starker perspective when compared with United's profits. The projected payments of £46m a year are more than twice the club's annual profits of £19.4m for the whole of the last full financial year, to July 2004. The figures suggest that Mr Glazer could need to quadruple United's profitability to keep the club financially viable.

"Precedent shows financial collapse is a possible result of over-borrowing. Leeds United were pushed to the brink of insolvency and then relegated from the Premier League last year as a result of a £60m loan they proved unable to service. (So £60m crippled Champions League semi-finalists Leeds and the Mancs who lost two rounds earlier this season are taking on debts NINE times bigger)

"Despite Mr Glazer's huge debt-piling, some financial experts believe that United's new owner has a decent chance of dramatically improving United's financial fortunes.

"A serial entrepreneur such as Glazer and his backers would not borrow large amounts of money unless there was a sensible way of recouping it," said Joe McLean, a football finance specialist within Grant Thornton's Recovery and Reorganisation team. Such ways, added Mr McLean, include ticket price hikes, brand expansion across Asia and America, and a revolutionary attempt to discard current collective television rights' deals and, long term, seek new world-wide solo television deals based around radical international leagues.

So there you have it, for Glazer to succeed he will have to wreck the Blackburn Rovers we know now.

So the key to success for the deal appears to be the Television rights? As things stand 14 of the Premier League clubs have to vote in favour of a change. Can't see that happening in the short term. Long term the likes of Manure, Chelsea and Arsenal may well go and form a European Super League - well that's a shocker - I'll get the door. See ya!

philipl - "The figures suggest that Mr Glazer could need to quadruple United's profitability to keep the club financially viable."

ohmy.gif That's not going to be easy is it? Don't Nike own all the merchandising rights to the Manure brand? Haven't the people at OT already bled this area dry?. I mean, I wish the fella all the luck in the world, I really do. Just in case, I'll get some more nails. Have a nice sleep Manchester United - (I'll not mention the "Football Club" bit - that went a long time ago).

Does Glazer own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers without any borrowing (I read somewhere that it is worth £300 million plus) ?

If so, he may be considering selling it and using the cash to pay off the United debt. As a global brand perhaps he sees United as potentially far more valuable than the Buccaneers.

I find it amusing that in the land of the free and rampant capitalism, professional sport is organsied along socialist lines.

The poorer-performing teams get the first picks of young up and coming star players, and the TV revenues are shared by the big and small teams alike. Otherwise, teams such as the Green Bay Packers would have gone bust years ago.

I'm gobsmacked that the FA don't enforce the 'brand' of the Premier League over that of two-three 'big' clubs.

But as others have pointed out, perhaps a Euro 'Super Leauge' would be a good thing. Let all the 'bling bling players' earn their hundreds of thousands of pounds a week, playing in front of relatively small crowds whilst the clubs get rich off the TV rights.

This would mean that :

1) Blackburn would have a much greater chance of winning the FA Cup and League Championship

2) Costs of maintaining a premier league club would fall, average season ticket prices would also fall, and football would become more affordable for the average team.

And sooner or later, Arsenal fans will realise that travelling to continental Europe every second week isn't as much fun as you thought.

And its nice to put three goals past Tottenham every now and then.

I think for the local football fan, the creation of a Euro super league would be mostly positive. Unfortunately for those of us overseas, it would almost become impossible to watch Blackburn Rovers on the TV. I suppose there is always the internet though.....

Edited by pg

The European Super League is not long term- it has to be 2006/7 if the Glazers are not going to get financially bloodied at OT.

Glazer intray:

Income generation schemes=

Vodafone have three years left on their £9m a year main sponsorship deal with the Mancs. Chelski paid Emirates to go away to get a more lucrative deal but Glazer will struggle to find the many millions to make Vodafone walk.

Any attempt to boost merchandising profits to the Mancs needs Nike agreement- its not a simple business of bringing American marketing flair over to the OT superstore and implementing.

Season ticket prices etc for 05/06 are already advertised and being sold.

(So the three most traditional ways of boosting income are neither easy nor immediate. Naming rights on OT are certain to be sold and rapidly- that emotive move might even motivate the Mancs to implement their boycott if its the Chucky Chips Bowl rather than the theatre of dreams)

Media revenue schemes=

Get more for TV rights- all tied up in Premiership, FA and UEFA collective deals (yes the Champs League is also a collective deal which the Mancs can do nothing about). No short term solution other than win them and boost income that way. However, little problem of...

Cost control schemes=

Sell Ferdinand for a pittance or see the wages structure zoom up (oops!)

Get out of jail scheme=

Set up Euro Super League NOW. Media rights concentrate at the top- Prem clubs get £20m a year each minimum and the Football League shares £24m between 72 clubs. Applying the same principle, £250m in TV revenue could be taken from the Prem and perhaps £250m from other leagues around Europe boosting G14 income by around £30m a club on average(enough to pay the Mancs' interest) but reducing the income for a club like the Rovers by over 50%

Then overcome the issue of supporters not travelling to away games by playing some of the Euro Super League games in the Far East (a bit like the F1 circuit).

Problems- 1) the Mancs would want to concentrate their own income in their own hands but the European Super League requires collective effort to set it up. The Mancs would want more than their equal share of media income but its got to be attractive enough to get the other G14 to vote for it

2) Persuade Berlusconi. Does Berlusconi want to continue using his political position to frustrate the Italian investigating magistrates?- I guess a Euro Superleague will go down as well with the fans of the 16 excluded Serie A clubs as it would play with Newcastle, Man City, Everton, Villa etc here so Berlusconi will not play ball if it makes him even more unpopular as Italian PM

Can't see that happening in the short term. Long term the likes of Manure, Chelsea and  Arsenal may well go and form a European Super League - well that's a shocker - I'll get the door. See ya!

To be fair to Arsenal, Wenger has said that keeping collective television rights is important for the Premiership as past leagues that have attempted such ventures have gone tits up (I think that was the phrase he used). As much as people hate their antics on the field...off it they're the only remaining club in England who can challenge at the highest level without extensive marketing and soul-selling or by attracting a rich investor...at least until Liverpool sort themselves out domestically.

I'm not sure how much Chelsea would push such a deal either...he may not love Chelsea itself but I believe Abramovich does love football and just wanted to be the owner of the best team in the World, I don't think he'll want to become an enemy of the game to make an extra few millions that wouldn't make a difference to his wallet.

Glazer, on the other hand, does seem to be the sole enemy. He is in this purely for profit and will probably explore every realistic avenue to achieve that. It's extremely difficult to see where this one is going to go...hopefully the extra money can be made from milking more money from foreign markets so that he won't need to fight the league for television rights...however, I can't see any way he can make enough money from increased merchandising/ticket prices alone to pay the interest and turn enough profit to make the venutre worthwhile.

The over-optimistic theory could be that, in his old age, Glazer is just feeling extra generous and has decided to buy his son (who appears to be the only geniune Man Utd fan in all of this) his favourite football team. dry.gif

Edited by LeChuck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.