BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Glazer Set For Utd

philipl - hasn't Berlusconi resigned?!? blink.gif

Or is about to be pushed by his own party?

Secondly.... why would the Euro league feature 72 teams?!? Who would pay money to watch PSV vs Porto?!?

I would imagine that a Euro super league would involve :

ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea.. maybe Liverpool.

Real Madrid, Barcelona.

AC Milan, Juventus, Inter Milan

Lyon

Porto

Ajax

Bayern Munich

Celtic

Rangers

Those are the 'brand teams' which can generate significant amount of revenue from TV rights. You'd maybe add another 10 or so teams to pad things out.

Surely a Euro league with 72 teams would become too large to manage, and feature too many matches between 'no-name' teams?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pg, Berlusconi has not resigned and will not resign- immunity from prosecution is a big incentive for hanging in there.

I am assuming the 18 members of the G14. See http://www.g14.com/G14members/index.asp (swanky new web-site from "The Voice of Football Clubs")

So no Old Firm or Newcastle and most significantly, no Chelsea but PSV v Porto is a G-14 Super League fixture.

Abramovich interest at the moment is against the Super League- he needs a low profile respectability. Super League could make him a hate figure in the UK AND Russia (no Russian teams in it) and that is the last thing he wants. Besides which, one G-14 member- PSV - is quietly becoming a Chelsea feeder club.

Where do you get 72 from?

So you're saying that PSV-Porto would be less attractive to PSV fans and TV audiences than PSV-Twente?

The big thing you are ignoring is internet rights, and overseas foreign TV and radio. One of the big plans I heard about when this whole thing first started was screening all of the matches live on the net, much like each club does with radio now. As far as I know, each club is responsible for their own, and doesn't share the profits.

On the Glazer thing - The issue here to my mind is the future of the premier league, unfortunately I don't think Glazer will ruin scum - He will ruin teams like Blackburn and heres why:-

Glazer owns the team with the highest number of "armchairs" and as such will want control of the TV rights. The EU competition watchdog has expressed concern at the way the premier league currently sell the rights bordering on calling it illegal.

So 5 clubs will go solo on TV rights, splitting the premier league - what will follow will be bloody and messy and they will be casualties, the European superleague will rear its ugly head again, talk of break aways

The net result - the biggest clubs and essentially Glazer will get control of the premier league. Is it in their interest to have 20 clubs? No.

So we all laugh at the muppets now but we wont be laughing in the long run. We will be powerless, penniless pawns in the new billionaire era and it is us The Rovers who are in danger of ruin!

I mean really when you buy something for a lot of money and wait a long time to get it - do you then abuse it and ruin it?

The only way that the TV rights can be split is if the governement or the EU force the issue. 5 clubs cannot go solo as it requires 14 clubs to agree to anything and that is never going to happen.

Glazer makes not one jot of difference to the rest of the league as he cannot control the premier league. Only the powers that be can force the change.

Edited by Manchester Blue

I mean really when you buy something for a lot of money and wait a long time to get it - do you then abuse it and ruin it?

No - but you might be inclined to strip all its assets to make a quick buck.

On the Glazer thing - The issue here to my mind is the future of the premier league, unfortunately I don't think Glazer will ruin scum - He will ruin teams like Blackburn and heres why:-

Glazer owns the team with the highest number of "armchairs" and as such will want control of the TV rights. The EU competition watchdog has expressed concern at the way the premier league currently sell the rights bordering on calling it illegal.

So 5 clubs will go solo on TV rights, splitting the premier league - what will follow will be bloody and messy and they will be casualties, the European superleague will rear its ugly head again, talk of break aways

The net result - the biggest clubs and essentially Glazer will get control of the premier league. Is it in their interest to have 20 clubs? No.

So we all laugh at the muppets now but we wont be laughing in the long run. We will be powerless, penniless pawns in the new billionaire era and it is us The Rovers who are in danger of ruin!

I was under the impression that the only thing they didnt like about it was the fact that Sky had won all three packages available for live games?

Hence next time that wont be allowed.

Ill wager that the current UK based Sky contract remains largely unchanged following renewal. Including the distribution of the income.

Many a time I have been interviewed by a nice owner of a firm only to find I work for one of his underlings who is a real bas...d.....its what his mangement team is like thats important..It seems that Fergie is being given just 20 million a year to win the title..considering Chelsa spent 100 million...hes in for a stressful time

Edited by JC4LAB

United 2004/05 is a team of underachievers.

Now it's time for Ferguson to show his management skills, with limited resources (20m according to JC4LAB here..) he has to buy players who can lift their teammates. (e.g Paul Scholes, who was their Frank Lampard only short time ago!)

He's been awful this season, and van Nistelrooy hasn't done particularly well either. These two has to up their game, or risk being sold IMO. United just can't afford to keep them if they don't start making a difference, and to be completely honest - I don't really see that players like Fletcher and Liam Miller are good enough.

Only a tiny minority of United fans actually go to Old Trafford.

United have something like 75 million 'fans' worldwide - 40 million in Asia, 20 million in Europe and millions more across the world. Glazer will be looking to the overseas markets in countries like China to earn himself big bucks.

Glazer probably won't be too bothered if a few thousand supporters boycott Old Trafford - they'll be thousands more armchair fans willing to take their place.

His PR campaign has already started - Glazer says that he and his son are "avid lifelong United supporters". They want to keep Ferguson in charge and he'll be given £20m to spend in the summer. (Peanuts compared with the £90m Abramovich spent last summer.)

It's laughable that the United fans demonstrating now are complaining about the "heart and soul" being ripped out of the club.

The heart and soul went out a long time ago - about 14 years ago in 1991 - when United became a PLC and Martin Edwards said that the club was a "brand" which had to be exploited in the marketplace.

They ceased being a football club in the traditional sense a number of years ago.

The flames outside Old Trafford might burn - but there'll be thousands more from the prawn sandwich brigade willing to keep pumping money in...

user posted image

Is there any possible way that this could turn out to be a good thing for Manchester United?

To be fair to Glazer, he's been very successful with American football teams (I'm sure our American chums can fill us in here). However, as I understand it, he's achieved his success at the expense of the fans by hiking up ticket prices and basically selling the soul of the club / team.

As Man U doesn't have a soul anyway though I'm not sure what he'll do at United.

...in 1997, he decided that his team's uniforms were too "girly" so he ditched the orange and red pirate, and adopted darker red, metallic "pewter", and black as the new colors, and changed the logo into a skull and pirate flag... most people agree that the new uniforms are much more professional... however, it may be a bad omen for man u fans, since glazer was so quick to discard tradition...

Which might mean that, abandoning all tradition, he might build one of these over Old Trafford to match the one at the Buccaneers' stadium...

user posted imagebiggrin.gif

And, yes, they really do fire cannon when the Bucs score...

Or Utd could end up actually PLAYING in that Stadium.

It's started already.......................

user posted image

Before you bemoan the "meager" 20 million pounds they will have this summer, don't forget that Ferguson was told when he bought Rooney he would have no money this summer, as the Rooney money was an advance for this year's kitty.

This is nothing really new is it? How many times have we heard that 'money is ruining the game'? All this talk of money and greed is simply stripping off the thin veneer and uncovering the raison d'etre for the very existence of professional football.

The indictment of trhe FA in Philips link here,

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/sto...1483892,00.html

is spot on. I frequently wonder how, since the days of the abolishment of the maximum wage in the early sixties we have replaced the vibrant and supremely challenging 1st division with a carbon copy of the farce annually carried out north of the border in Scotland.

Edited by thenodrog

For small teams like the Rovers to be "ruined" , you are working on the premise that we need the big clubs more than they need us . I maintain that this is not so .

If the Man UTD's , Chelsea's and Arse's of this world form a Euro superleague ( which is the only way they can make big money taken into account the present power and voting structure of the prem league ) it will last no longer than a few years . Once the novelty value wears thin it will be they - the big clubs - who will have to come crawling back to their homelands and beg to be re-admitted .

People assume that all power lies in the hands of the big clubs . It doesn't . Collectively the other 15 clubs can see them off . They need us and the century old traditions and rivalries that we offer more than we need them .

I hope they go . Then we can start to believe we can win things again . And consequently watch the crowds return ...

If the Man UTD's , Chelsea's and Arse's of this world form a Euro superleague ( which is the only way they can make big money taken into account the present power and voting structure of the prem league ) it will last no longer than a few years . Once the novelty value wears thin it will be they - the big clubs - who will have to come crawling back to their homelands and beg to be re-admitted .

People assume that all power lies in the hands of the big clubs . It doesn't . Collectively the other 15 clubs can see them off . They need us and the century old traditions and rivalries that we offer more than we need them .

I hope they go . Then we can start to believe we can win things again . And consequently watch the crowds return ...

Some people in football forget that people support clubs other than the 'big' teams. They almost seem to work on the premise that if United, for example, joined a European super league that everyone in the Northwest will support them.

I won't support them and I doubt any other Blackburn fans will. Same goes for all the other local clubs whose fans will remain loyal to the local club. We aren't like Spain where people support the local club and either Real or Barca. It just doesn't work like that IMO.

That said I'd be happy for United to join a superleague. I'm sick of them cheating and have no interest in them. I switch the telly off when they come on(or go and get a beer/order a kebab when there segment is on MOTD)

I hope that I haven't veered off topic here.

looks like it might be the same for rovers this was on the bbc forum doubt there is any truth in it but could give us a bigger transfer kitty

Rovers go russian?? simo1979 - 1st post - 15 May 2005 13:39

John Williams(CE) refuses to confirm or deny link to Russian tycoon plotting a potential big money move for Rovers in the summer. It is alleged Takeover talks are at an advanced stage, would this be good for the Rovers?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.