BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Playstation 3

Its near final design is supposed to be revealed at a conference at 11pm tonight along with footage of Metal Gear Solid 4. I've heard that it will have wireless controllers and will have a processor speed of about 4Ghz.

Edited by Gumbi

Hmm this puts me in a rather difficult position. I'd like to get a games console for university but then I also don't want to have to wait until next spring to pick one up. When is the new x-box out?

The Xbox 360 is supposed to be November, and probably worldwide too - I doubt we'll see PS3 in Europe until late 2006. But looking at the specs, PS3 will probably make the 360 look a little bit underpowered. And I'm angry with Microsoft for effectively killing the original Xbox, which I've only had for about a year.

Then there's the Nintendo Revolution, or whatever it's going to be called, which comes with a wireless download service for retro games.

Too... many... consoles...

It does look amazing, but then you've got to temper that with a spot of realism. When the last Sony console was announced they wheeled out George Lucas, who claimed that the power of PS2 would be enough to render scenes from Phantom Menace in realtime. Which was obviously a complete load of tosh. Now they're doing the same with PS3 and Spider-Man.

I don't care how many HDTV streams it can decode simultaneously - I can't even watch one, since nobody I know owns an HD-compatible set. And if they use all that power to make a nicer looking version of Killzone and a few hundred racing games...

no but I also think the Media Centre Microsoft connection will have something to do with it. And PS generally say they are 'superior graphically' etc, but when it comes to the crunch I doubt PS could handle Halo etc.

no but I also think the Media Centre Microsoft connection will have something to do with it. And PS generally say they are 'superior graphically' etc, but when it comes to the crunch I doubt PS could handle Halo etc.

Stuff Halo, have you not seen killzone 2

There are some good articles on this site about both consoles

eurogamer

Personaly it looks as though in terms of raw power the ps3 is likely to be the most powerful console we've ever seen. Sony's cell technology is a step up from the classic chip architcture and IBM have said they are likely to put these cells into their future mini computers as they are based on IBM's powerpc chip (just like the xbox). BUT....XBOX 360 is still a powerful beast and since i'm fortunate enough to earn enough to buy both i'll have the best that both has to offer.

Nintendos revolution looks like it'll be good to play retro gaming on and is backwards compatible with GC meaning good games like Zelda Windwaker/resident evil 4 will be available to play. Now, Microsoft have said that "some" games will be backwards compatible and have recently said that the older games will have to be recompiled against its new architecture to work!!! I dont think microsoft will be daft enough to carry on like this though before launch as sonys machine is backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 because its got full versions of those consoles on one chip on board.

Still a long way to go folks and there will be claim and counter claim leading right up to xmas for the xbox launch and then up until the ps3 comes out next spring.

Personally can't wait!!! Hope they change the shape of the ps3 though - it looks awful.

Edited by roversyoyo

Typical Eurogamer. Where's the sense of perspective? Why has nobody mentioned that for all the impressive stats touted for the new consoles, all we've seen are a bunch of pre-rendered tech demos? These machines don't exist yet. All the Xbox 360 stuff is recorded frame by frame from Mac G5 dev kits, and I'm sure it's a similar situation for PS3.

You'd have thought so (regarding the ps3) but Sony are still sticking to their guns and insisting that they were not pre rendered but all in real time. But the cyninc in all of us is bound to want to believe otherwise..........

Don't give a flying toss about the screenshots and movies. it's the innovative technology i care more about - where does the PC go from here with leaps in performance like that. The pc's architecture is creaking now and is taking longer and longer each time new consoles are released to catch up and overtake. Took 2/3 years from XBOX release for it to catch and over take it. It's gonna be harder from this point on to do that without spending bucket loads of cash.

The debate is all part of the fun....we have months to go yet and these are just the opening moves...

It's definitely good to see such powerful hardware heading for my living room. And I'll probably cave in and buy the lot, just like last time - Jeff Minter's light synth for Xbox 360 looks amazing.

Cutting edge stuff, though, is always going to be on the PC. For all the power of PS3, you're still talking about a machine that's going to cost less than a decent graphics card. Things look as nice as they do on a console because you're developing for a closed architecture, ie there's no need to make sure your game runs on a thousand different types of machine.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.