BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Playstation 3

Don't give a flying toss about the screenshots and movies.  it's the innovative technology i care more about - where does the PC go from here with leaps in performance like that.  The pc's architecture is creaking now and is taking longer and longer each time new consoles are released to catch up and overtake. 

317474[/snapback]

The nwe generation of graphics cards are miles ahead of the consoles - especially SLI ones (if they work and you feel like remortgaging your house).

You can get a stupidly large amount of memory for PC's and teh new 64 bit chips and mobo's will again make the leap ahead of the consoles.

PC's are different to consoles, you can do more with them, also upgrading and improving is easier than with the consoles.

However consoles are good for some games and not for others.

Yeah, but one of those graphics cards will cost more than your console, so unless you are one of those gamer freaks who want to squeeze and extra 1fps out of whichever Doom clone is popular then a console is a better bet.

You dont get the compatibility issues with consoles that you get with PC games, so when the games pass testing you dont need 6 different patches, driver updates etc to play the game.

Each new generation of console brings new entertainment features into the home at a reasonable price, without the massive investment required into making your pc perform the same.

Yeah, but one of those graphics cards will cost more than your console, so unless you are one of those gamer freaks who want to squeeze and extra 1fps out of whichever Doom clone is popular then a console is a better bet.

You dont get the compatibility issues with consoles that you get with PC games,  so when the games pass testing you dont need 6 different patches, driver updates etc to play the game.

Each new generation of console brings new entertainment features into the home at a reasonable price, without the massive investment required into making your pc perform the same.

344825[/snapback]

Katrina and the waves???? what the......

I agree Ste - especially about the patches - BF2 one of the best games since CoD was almost completly hamstrung when it was released. However the patches have brought a number of improvements (ie it works now) and new patches /downloads/mods bring a whole new aspect to the games that you just cant get with a console. That will change im sure, and I have a PS2 but rarely play it, the PC is much better.

And its not 1fps improvement, its at least 10. Im sure some techies will tell us why the SLI is great (other than it lets two cards work in parallel) and from what ive heard the new 64 bit architecture will make gaming processes that much better. Also i havent seen HL2 on a console yet.

And there are plenty of console games that have been rushed and could do with patching. One prime example being Wrestlemania 21 on the XBOX. It was so bad they actually withdrew it from the shelves to patch it.

Generally, the XBOX allows for patching due to XBOX live and the hard drive (didn't help with Wrestlemania 21 as one of it's bugs was that it couldn't use XBOX live!).

There have been numerous other games on all consoles that could have done with patching but generally they are let go due to the fact they can't be patched.

I think it is a very good thing that a developer is willing to take time to get a game right after it has shipped. Granted, maybe they shouldn't be told to ship to a date and actually get the game right first time.

Also, in today's PC's, Microsoft has done an excellent job of making everything go through DirectX so that game developers are not having to work with 1000+ drivers. I remember the time when I bought a game and then had to spend 5 hours trying to tweak the drivers and then configure it to use Soundblaster effects with adlib music on IRQ's 5 and 7 etc etc etc and then try and find new executables to get my Voodoo card working in glorious 3D.

I think you'll find most problems are now down to sloppy game coding rather than driver issues.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.