BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2005/6 Season Ticket Sales

Season Ticket Sales - Renewing or Not ?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Season Ticket Sales - Renewing or Not ?

• Renewing my season ticket.
    • Renewing season ticket but moving to cheaper seats.
    • Not renewing my season ticket.
    • Buying my first season ticket.
    • Exiled Rover - wish I could attend games.

This poll is closed to new votes

rover.gif IN A THREAD THAT DISSAPPEARED in the black out last weekend,i said as a family club our pricing for the family stand is ludicrous.

the family stand should be the cheapest part off the ground,not one off the dearest,the free tickets for the under 8's needs to re-appear.the fact that the family stand is half full every week proves this point. tinykit.gif

For once Waggy I agree with you (although not quite for the same reason) and I raised it at the last fans forum (leading to the somewhat embarasing sig Ste B has).

Currently there is no financial incentive for kids to use the family stand and as a result many have relocated to the lower tier. The in turn has lead to a diluting of the atmosphere in the lower BBE and must be partly responsible for the lack of buzz that everyone has noticed. I know I behave much more reserved at Ewood that away, especially with regards to "industrial language", mainly because I'm surrounded by kids. I am comtemplating my second seat move in two season because once more I have my football spolit by an annoying kid who has little or no intrest in the game.

Give the kids an incentive to move back into the family stand and let the "hardcore" fans retake the BBE and rebuild the atmosphere.

Secondly, a radical idea I've been touting (along with other such as Ewood Spark and Cap'n K) is in two parts. The two parts could be done independantly, but I feel would work best together.

1. Demolish the Riverside. Period. Don't rebuilt it. Nothing drives up demand like scarcity of supply. Less seats = full house = clamour for tickets again. People will have to come to the small games to get tickets for the big ones.

2. Stand Up To The FLA and open a gently sloping setion of the former Riverside as a safe standing area. As the SASD campaign have proven, there is nothing legally stopping safe standing, only the FLA's recommendations. This would not only bring back some of the atmosphere, but truely make the club stand out from it's peers (not to mention rekindling the intrest of some of the lost support who have become disillusioned with the commercialization of football).

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rover.gif IN A THREAD THAT DISSAPPEARED in the black out last weekend,i said as a family club our pricing for the family stand is ludicrous.

the family stand should be the cheapest part off the ground,not one off the dearest,the free tickets for the under 8's needs to re-appear.the fact that the family stand is half full every week proves this point. tinykit.gif

For once Waggy I agree with you (although not quite for the same reason) and I raised it at the last fans forum (leading to the somewhat embarasing sig Ste B has).

Currently there is no financial incentive for kids to use the family stand and as a result many have relocated to the lower tier. The in turn has lead to a diluting of the atmosphere in the lower BBE and must be partly responsible for the lack of buzz that everyone has noticed. I know I behave much more reserved at Ewood that away, especially with regards to "industrial language", mainly because I'm surrounded by kids. I am comtemplating my second seat move in two season because once more I have my football spolit by an annoying kid who has little or no intrest in the game.

Give the kids an incentive to move back into the family stand and let the "hardcore" fans retake the BBE and rebuild the atmosphere.

Secondly, a radical idea I've been touting (along with other such as Ewood Spark and Cap'n K) is in two parts. The two parts could be done independantly, but I feel would work best together.

1. Demolish the Riverside. Period. Don't rebuilt it. Nothing drives up demand like scarcity of supply. Less seats = full house = clamour for tickets again. People will have to come to the small games to get tickets for the big ones.

2. Stand Up To The FLA and open a gently sloping setion of the former Riverside as a safe standing area. As the SASD campaign have proven, there is nothing legally stopping safe standing, only the FLA's recommendations. This would not only bring back some of the atmosphere, but truely make the club stand out from it's peers (not to mention rekindling the intrest of some of the lost support who have become disillusioned with the commercialization of football).

I quite like those ideas in principle, Glenn, but the first one especially is rather radical.

It has been proven that the supporters are actually out there when it suits them. It can bring them back if they feel pressured to get to games in order to see the bigger ones. This is no bad thing, especially if Rovers serve up the good football to satisfy them against these 'smaller' clubs.

But it does rather disregard the wishes of the Riverside contingent who have sat there for long periods of time. One reason they sit there may be tradition. Another is that there are generally cheaper seats there. Making less seats to increase demand will do nothing to make prices better. If those people feel priced out of the other stands already then they may feel forced away from Ewood altogether.

The tradition issue may also be important too. By demolishing the place where they've sat for years upon years, Rovers are disregarding their loyal support and tearing down yet another foundation of the club's history. Are these people likely to return if Rovers actually heighten the impression of disregarding the fans rather than working to dismiss it?

Edited by bellamy11

This is a real head-scratcher. Obviously we have a hard core support of 18-20k and getting anything beyond that means attending Ewood has to be more appealing than other weekend activities like shopping/eating out etc.

This probably isn't going to come from great success on our part in any of the competitions (sorry to be realistic) so it has to come from the style of play the team uses and the atmosphere and match-day experience.

The problem is that as someone who attends matches all over the world (I've watched games in Germany, France & Spain this season) and goes to games other than Rovers in London quite often you struggle to beat Ewood park in terms of pricing, facilities, atmosphere and organisation.

So what more do the people of Blackburn want? I know it's still not cheap but we are amongst the cheapest, the ground is very family friendly, the pies are good, transport and access is pretty straightforward.

There are some nice ideas on here about initiatives that might help a bit but I can't help feeling that the average East-Lancashire bloke doesn't have an emotional attachment to Rovers, even compared to Notlob and PNE. I think the main problem is that we just were'nt very good for 30 of the last 40 years and our core support wandered elsewhere...

Yeh - lets demolish the Riverside and further reduce out income wink.gif

Publicity has to be part of the key - how many people know that Cat B match junior tickets are only £5 - that is so cheap and yet I bet not many people know.

I would like to see the re-introduction of the under eights free ticket - but extend to under 11. I would also like to see the introduction of a buy one adult match day ticket get child free (Cat B and below only).

Give season ticket holders free entry to cup matches against lower opposition - or at the least 1/2 price.

INCREASE the price of CAT A matches - but offer reduced prices to regular attendees of CAT B matches (as can be shown by DB)

I'm not sure why people say there is no financial incentive use the Family Stand - it's saved me literally hundreds of £££s over the years. Am I missing something? Anyway we are going in the BBE next year.

As for ST sales and crowds. There is only one answer and the following all know what it is:

John Williams and all the admin team at EP

Everyone on here

Everyone who attends Ewood

Everyone who does NOT attend matches

Mark Hughes and the coaching staff

The 11 people who don't know the answer are the lazy gits wearing blue and white every Saturday. The players and ONLY the players are responsible for our shrinking support. The playing staff are a bunch of over-paid, idle, couldn't care less, living in the comfort zone pimps. Put them all on a basic £250,000 a year with a £750,000 bonus each if the average gate reaches, for example 24,000. Simple. If they aren't prepared to work they can bugger off to Norwich, Southampton or Palace.

No one is at fault except the players. They have let the club and the support down on countless occassions. If I was a casual fan I'd go to PNE or Wigan.

I'm not sure why people say there is no financial incentive use the Family Stand - it's saved me literally hundreds of £££s over the years. Am I missing something? Anyway we are going in the BBE next year.

As for ST sales and crowds. There is only one answer and the following all know what it is:

John Williams and all the admin team at EP

Everyone on here

Everyone who attends Ewood

Everyone who does NOT attend matches

Mark Hughes and the coaching staff

The 11 people who don't know the answer are the lazy gits wearing blue and white every Saturday. The players and ONLY the players are responsible for our shrinking support. The playing staff are a bunch of over-paid, idle, couldn't care less, living in the comfort zone pimps. Put them all on a basic £250,000 a year with a £750,000 bonus each if the average gate reaches, for example 24,000. Simple. If they aren't prepared to work they can bugger off to Norwich, Southampton or Palace.

No one is at fault except the players. They have let the club and the support down on countless occassions. If I was a casual fan I'd go to PNE or Wigan.

Very harsh point to make, Paul.

We've got our way out of this relegation mess on sheer hard work. There are quite a few cult heros such as Friedel and Tugay, and players like Andy Todd and Morten Gamst-Pedersen are on their way there.

We've drawn games in places where we should be getting hammered (Old Trafford, Anfield). We've given the best team in the league a real fight at Ewood. We've got to the FA Cup semi final. This is without a talented out-and-out goalscorer. It's because those players have worked their arses off in training learning how to stay solid against some of the better players in the game, and they fight for each other as a team. We never go down in a pathetic whimper any more, with the recent exception of Fulham at home.

Some of the players or recent past times haven't been worth their salt, but this bunch we have now try their guts out and on several occasions this season I've gone home very proud of them.

Glenn my lad loves the blackburn end where we sit he doesnt like sitting down at the front with his pot on ,but would have him expelled with me to the family stand?I was on the blackburn end as a 6 year old myself.

I know they kept prices down last season but if they raise them a lot this year its gonna have mega effects .I for one am on the line of getting single tickets due to cost.

[

Although I am presently exiled away from Ewood. My biggest annoyance with the 'new ewood' stadium is the family stand. We need a family stand with incentives i.e pricing but lets have it moved to Riverside or Lower Jack Walker. On my visits I have to sit in the Darwen end with a scattering of people with only the away fans for entertainment (given our football entertainment this season has been nil) I would much rather prefer and I think many others in the Darwen end would like to sit in the upper tier of the BBE and try and re-create the atomsphere of the old terrace days.

Also the drummer etc should be banned it was alright at the beginning for a season or two but now it is such 'old hat' and boring and detracts from the atomsphere as all we sing now is 'get into them' to the beat of the drum. c'mon give me strength.

I will be getting a season ticket again next yr, for the first time since i was in the junior catergory which was 02-03 season. Ive not had 1 for the previous 2 seasons but will get my young adullt s/t next yr will at uni!

There are a number of points i would like to raise.

1.) Cost of football tickets. I agree that our publics response to reduced prices has been awful, but can you say it doesnt make a difference. For example, take spurs (cat B and everton cat a). The spurs game was a evening kick off, and was on tv but the att from rovers fans was around 20k. The everton game was a 3pm sat game with everton taking the whole of the dawen end and a local clash against a champs league chasing team. The rovers crowd, JUST 18,000. Why? It must the be the diff in the price cos the spurs game was on tv and still there was more rovers fans on.

2.) The premier league MUST introduce young person/student tickets for all home and away teams in prem. The stats are allarming. The age range of 16-24 is WORSE represented than any other age range at football games. These are our bloody future fans we must do something about that. Maybe £15 for those 16-19 or those still in education.

3.) The riverside. Why cant we be the guniee pig and create the first safe standing area in eng. They do it in germany and the lower div's have standing, why cant we? As has been mentioned, standing in standing areas is far safer than standing in seated areas.

4.) As has already been mentioned, why not send a s/t application form to everyone on the database. With it, send out a questionnaire (as to why if they aint getting a s/t ) for those who arent gonna renew.

Like the idea about the 6 game pass or something similar. If this thread does preduce any good replies than if must be sent to Ewood!

Edited by BRFC4EVA

rover.gif here's your answer paul,my season tickets in the jack walker outer costs me £250 plus 2 juniors £140 a grand total off £390.

to go in the family stand it would cost me £385 plus £140,a total off £525,£135 dearer. tinykit.gif

rover.gif here's your answer paul,my season tickets in the jack walker outer costs me £250 plus 2 juniors £140 a grand total off £390.

to go in the family stand it would cost me £385 plus £140,a total off £525,£135 dearer. tinykit.gif

316865[/snapback]

Waggy, are you an OAP?

Mine in JW Upper Outer cost about £460, I must have been done!

I'm not sure why people say there is no financial incentive use the Family Stand - it's saved me literally hundreds of £££s over the years. Am I missing something?

This is what i've been thinking. My YA season ticket in the family stand costs £175, my brothers only cost £95. Granted we both have the loyalty bonus thingy, but without that it'd still be very cheap.

We've considered moving to the BBL several times, but we've stayed in the family stand because we've become quite attached to our seats and people around us up there. Also even though the 2 adults per child policy still apparantly exists, they have said they wont make us move, because its not as if there is anyone else to fill the seats!

As for getting more fans, its a difficult one. The actual football hasn't been much to shout about in recent times although I feel this situation is a lot better than at the beginning of the season, and should only improve.

4.) As has already been mentioned, why not send a s/t application form to everyone on the database. With it, send out a questionnaire (as to why if they aint getting a s/t ) for those who arent gonna renew.

I dont know why we cant do something like this. I've heard that PNE have posted over 1/4million season ticket application forms to the surrounding areas. Whilst many of them may probably go in the bin, it will attract the 'floating football fans' and get them that extra bit of support.

I dont know why we cant do something like this. I've heard that PNE have posted over 1/4million season ticket application forms to the surrounding areas. Whilst many of them may probably go in the bin, it will attract the 'floating football fans' and get them that extra bit of support.

Sorry to sound a lot negative...

If PNE have posted 250K ST application forms out then 245k will have ended up in the bin. Just like the pizza parlour flyers that land on our doormat.

I've stuck a post on the "who do want to get promoted" thread making a valiant effort to pin down this mythical "floating football fan." Who is this beast? What does he/she do at the moment? Why would he/she desert Ewood for Deepdale. There can't be too many of them, can there?

I have an idea...

Buy a season ticket

I'll be doing my bit to help

316853[/snapback]

That's very interesting waggy. I'll be reading the ST pack very closely when it arrives. Thanks

Very harsh point to make, Paul.

316745[/snapback]

The truth hurts and is often harsh, What you say is true of the current squad SINCE Hughes took over. Prior to that these players gave us nothing. The Fulham game was a prime example that the team is still capable of the "couldn't care less" attitude. Betaing Fulham was vital for the feel-good factor. What did we get? Another abject defeat from a team that did not compete plus a player sent off after running 30 yards to deliberatley foul an opponent. We are being asked to support this rabble, it is unprofessional - they are asked to work for two hours a week for £1m plus a year, I expect total and utter dedication for the 90 minutes I'm watching, nothing less is acceptable. After the Fulham game I said I wouldn't renew my STs. I still do not WANT to renew, I WILL renew but I have no interest, excitment or desire to do so at the moment. I have two reasons for renewing - the kids want to go and without an ST I doubt I'd bother at all.

I know literally tens of ex ST holders who feel exactly the same. I have a Man Utd friend, an ST holder at OT, who is so disgusted by Rio Ferdinand's wage demand he is not going back next year. The league is riddled with over-paid, under-achieving, average footballers who do not deserve the money they are paid. At Blackburn we have a lot of fans who are no longer prepared to put up with it.

The answer is simple: force the players to perform, week in, week out. Make them realise they are responsible for the club's position. Hit them in the pocket when they don't perform. It's a team game, I'm not criticisng any individual, they must take collective resposibility.

I don't mind losing, I don't mind the fact we are unlikley to win anything, I'll put up with inconvenient KO times, I'll ignore the over-blown hype that is the PL, I'll ignore all the rubbish that is associated with our game provide the players attitude is right. Currently it stinks.

Until the players perform at Ewood Park the club can do nothing to increase support.

Perhaps I put that badly, I'm not against the current incentives for kids in the family stand, in fact I think they are superb. Keeping them so low is a bold gamble by the club and one that will hopefully pay off over the years.

My problem is that exactly the same incentives are available for the BBE lower ! Thus there is no incentive to use the family stand over the BBE lower.

[quote

The truth hurts and is often harsh, What you say is true of the current squad SINCE Hughes took over. Prior to that these players gave us nothing. The Fulham game was a prime example that the team is still capable of the "couldn't care less" attitude. Betaing Fulham was vital for the feel-good factor. What did we get? Another abject defeat from a team that did not compete plus a player sent off after running 30 yards to deliberatley foul an opponent. We are being asked to support this rabble, it is unprofessional - they are asked to work for two hours a week for £1m plus a year, I expect total and utter dedication for the 90 minutes I'm watching, nothing less is acceptable. After the Fulham game I said I wouldn't renew my STs. I still do not WANT to renew, I WILL renew but I have no interest, excitment or desire to do so at the moment.

I know literally tens of ex ST holders who feel exactly the same.

At Blackburn we have a lot of fans who are no longer prepared to put up with it.

The answer is simple: force the players to perform, week in, week out. Make them realise they are responsible for the club's position. Hit them in the pocket when they don't perform. It's a team game, I'm not criticisng any individual, they must take collective resposibility.

I don't mind losing, I don't mind the fact we are unlikley to win anything, I'll put up with inconvenient KO times, I'll ignore the over-blown hype that is the PL, I'll ignore all the rubbish that is associated with our game provide the players attitude is right. Currently it stinks.

Until the players perform at Ewood Park the club can do nothing to increase support.

316894[/snapback]

What the hell is going on here!

This guy talks common sense, crap players = crap gates; why should I waste my money on crap when I could have a day with the family and spend the £2000+ I spend watching the Rovers every year?

The reason I do it is the same as Paul: LOYALTY>

But remember loyalty is not blind nor at any cost; that is why 4K fans have deserted the blues.

Let's move away from excuses, focus on reality and win back the missing, or at least retain our dwindling fan base by playing some football.

Paul, you are a genius (ps. may I have a Grooby next year please?).

Guest Kamy100

[quote

The truth hurts and is often harsh, What you say is true of the current squad SINCE Hughes took over. Prior to that these players gave us nothing. The Fulham game was a prime example that the team is still capable of the "couldn't care less" attitude. Betaing Fulham was vital for the feel-good factor. What did we get? Another abject defeat from a team that did not compete plus a player sent off after running 30 yards to deliberatley foul an opponent. We are being asked to support this rabble, it is unprofessional - they are asked to work for two hours a week for £1m plus a year, I expect total and utter dedication for the 90 minutes I'm watching, nothing less is acceptable. After the Fulham game I said I wouldn't renew my STs. I still do not WANT to renew, I WILL renew but I have no interest, excitment or desire to do so at the moment.

I know literally tens of ex ST holders who feel exactly the same.

At Blackburn we have a lot of fans who are no longer prepared to put up with it.

316894[/snapback]

What the hell is going on here!

This guy talks common sense, crap players = crap gates; why should I waste my money on crap when I could have a day with the family and spend the £2000+ I spend watching the Rovers every year?

The reason I do it is the same as Paul: LOYALTY>

But remember loyalty is not blind nor at any cost; that is why 4K fans have deserted the blues.

Let's move away from excuses, focus on reality and win back the missing, or at least retain our dwindling fan base by playing some football.

Paul, you are a genius (ps. may I have a Grooby next year please?).

316903[/snapback]

Agree with most of what you and Paul are saying except that sometimes even if you have good players and playing relatively good football it still does not guarantee that season ticket sales and attendances will rise. I remember back to a couple of years ago when we finished 6th in the league, qualified for the UEFA football and had played some excellent football, yet the next season saw season ticket sales fall, now factors such as Duff leaving did have an affect but still it shows that sometimes playing good football and being relatively successful does not guarantee extra sales. From my experience in most cases it comes down to cost, now Rovers season ticket are very competitive but there are still people who cannot afford to buy because their economic situation doesn't allow them to do so.

I am not hopeful for this coming season in terms of season ticket sales!!

I feel the same and wll also get my usual 3 ST's for next season, but only because the kids want to go and a sense of loyalty.

Still, a couple of good signings this summer could make all the diference.

As an afterthought :-

Remember when Sky first started pumping money into the game, the talk was, everyone would be watching games on TV and the grounds would be half empty.

This didn't matter, the press told us, stadium gates would be flung open, entry for some games could even be free, to create a good atmosphere for the TV audience.

Hell, gate money just didn't account for much.

What happened? Players got greedy and the clubs got weaker. Now, not even all Sky's cash is enough, the players want you to dig deeper! ( Premier league players in general ) ( some haven't got a supercar for each day of the week yet )

I've almost reached my limit and I'm sure many stayaway fans are well past it.

And while I'm having a moan, the cheats are almost driving me away from football

( Diouf makes my blood boil ), but that's another topic.

Loyal and skint.

Aggyblue.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.