BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holiday Reading

I'm keeping looking on here for recommendations for books so please keep them coming.

Wellllllllllll, I'm just about to finish one called "a short history of just about everything", by Bill Bryson.

It depends on your taste of course, but the book covers most of the sciences, everything that goes to make the universe and the human being. It's all laid out in a very easy to follow, but very interesting format. Entertaining stuff, amusing too.

My next book is by Max Hastings, "Nemesis. The battle for Japan 1944-45". It's new out and has just had a short airing in the daily Mail. My dad was a Japanese POW, who worked on the Burma railway - the bridge on the river Kwai. Hence the interest. It tells the story of how the Japanese government missed the opportunity to avoid Hiroschima and Nagasaki, and also tells the story of the suffering of the POW's.

Just on the last few pages of 'Profitoren' by the Norwegian author Tom Kristensen. Brilliant and couldn't put the thing down. I would never normally go for crime thrillers but this is the third book of his I've read recently and they've all been top drawer. Unfortunately none of his books, so far, are in English. :brfc:

Wellllllllllll, I'm just about to finish one called "a short history of just about everything", by Bill Bryson.

It depends on your taste of course, but the book covers most of the sciences, everything that goes to make the universe and the human being. It's all laid out in a very easy to follow, but very interesting format. Entertaining stuff, amusing too.

Very good, one of those books that you can read over and over againa and enjoy it just as much as the first time

My next book is by Max Hastings, "Nemesis. The battle for Japan 1944-45". It's new out and has just had a short airing in the daily Mail. My dad was a Japanese POW, who worked on the Burma railway - the bridge on the river Kwai. Hence the interest. It tells the story of how the Japanese government missed the opportunity to avoid Hiroschima and Nagasaki, and also tells the story of the suffering of the POW's.

I would read Armagedon as well, about the fall of German and the war in the western and eastern fronts between Overlord and the fall of Berlin. Very good, very well researched, but I couldnt help shake the feeling that Hastings was sat writing the book whilst stroking his Wermacht memorabilia. I'm currently reading Nemesis, its good so far. His books on Overlord, Korea and The Falklands are all worth the time to read them

Edited by Flopsy

With your Dad being a POW of the Japanese you may wish to read one of the following.

Kinkaseki By Arthur Titherington

or

The Railway Man By Eric Lomax

They are both very good and more than relevent to your father.

The Max Hastings book on the Korean war is also very good. It is supposed to be the most accurate account of the conflict. I certainly haven't read a better book on that particular subject.

Edited by Dave S

King Rat by James Clavell is another good one.

Clavells book although fiction is based on his experiences of being a POW.

I believe he was at Changi prison where Eric Lomax also spent some of his captivity.

Both the Titherington and Lomax books are the experiences of the authors. So as the subject is hard hitting there are no real high points or happy endings. Severe beatings of prisoners being routine.

Also the Clavell book is also good in its historical context where he is able to bring together the experiences of many prisoners to give light to that particular time.

Titheringtons book was originally released under the title 'One day at a time.' He was a captive for over 1,300 days.

Edited by Dave S

But not half as good as Shogun by the same author .......all thousand pages of it !!

Tai-Pan was another belting read by Clavell. That was set during the time when Hong Kong was first taken over by the Brits. Lots of opium smuggling, exotic Oriental ladies, inscrutable Chinese baddies etc.

It's another looooooooong read however.

Oh grow up. If you dont like the way the board is moderated, leave.

Im 3/4 of the way through Nemesis at the moment, its very good, although I would say Armagedon is probably the better book. It seems to go into more detail and flows better. Although Nemesis should be a must read.

Edited by Flopsy

Just to endorse Cheeky Sidders thoughts on the Flashman series of books by George McDonald Fraser. They are top drawer reads and historically very close to the truth. Try to read them in order if you can. A very entertainng insight into how the british ran their campaigns during the expansion of the empire.

Just to endorse Cheeky Sidders thoughts on the Flashman series of books by George McDonald Fraser. They are top drawer reads and historically very close to the truth. Try to read them in order if you can. A very entertainng insight into how the british ran their campaigns during the expansion of the empire.

I've also been banging on about the Flashman books for years on here as has Blue Phil. Maybe we need a short list of recommended books we can post so people don't have to search for yonks. Other richly recommended books seem to include Curiuus Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, This Thing Called Darkness, Short History of Nearly Everything etc...we just need someone who can be bothered enough to go back and read through all the threads...

Regarding the Flashman series it is worth noting that in the first book Flashman is a much nastier piece of work than in the rest and far more amoral. In the rest of the series his japes and cadly behaviour are generally amusing in tone but the first book is very dark and it is hard to sympathise with him at all at times.

I bet you have , Bucky .

Because you never could take me on and beat me in open debate could you ? You and the likes of the FlopMod have reached your true level - incoherent and witless to the point that you are glad that differing views are no longer tolerated . I'll take it as the ultimate compliment .

My last comment on the subject . Hopefully , as that's the case , the censors will let it be .

Four Lane Blue - I've never read the Flashman books ; I suspect you've mistaken me for Sidders .

Four Lane Blue - I've never read the Flashman books ; I suspect you've mistaken me for Sidders .

In that case...you really need to...you would enjoy them I'm sure. I thought you had read them and taken my advice...shame on you!

They are however notoriously politically incorrect...the reader comes across words such as sambo, wench and darkie...maybe that is the problem? :closedeyes:

Edited by FourLaneBlue

It could be ........I'm still trying to recover from the trauma of reading Mark Twain's classics of the past .

God forbid I recommend Huckleberry Finn to the messageboard readers ; the mods will delete that post along with my other two innocuous contributions of the last 24 hours .

All with no explanation naturally .

Whatever happened to the rules ? :rolleyes:

It could be ........I'm still trying to recover from the trauma of reading Mark Twain's classics of the past .

God forbid I recommend Huckleberry Finn to the messageboard readers ; the mods will delete that post along with my other two innocuous contributions of the last 24 hours .

All with no explanation naturally .

Whatever happened to the rules ? :rolleyes:

You bait the mods, then they'll act and remove such posts.

This is the last time you get away with it.

Maybe we need a short list of recommended books we can post so people don't have to search for yonks.

New updated list is on page 15 - 3rd post down.

Your wish is my command. I'll renew this post as and when. It's not 100% up to date yet. I'll bring it up to date as soon as I get time. I do actually have a life...

Just going back to July 2007 posts

+++

"This Thing Of Darkness" by Harry Thompson recommended by Cheeky Sidders and seconded by Colin

A brief description: 750 pages describing the voyages of The Beagle which carried Darwin around the world. Everything you need

to know about the voyages; the conditions; the attitudes of the British to the foreigners they met: and the clash of Christianity

with Darwin's theories.

+++

"Marabou Stork Nightmares" by Irvine Welch recommended by Dr Gonzo

A brief description: *************

+++

"Cloud of Sparrows" by Takashi Matsuoka recommended by Cheeky Sidders

A brief description: Very entertaining and very easy to get into so ideal holiday fodder. The violence is somewhat graphic, including a fair bit against women and children, so maybe not recommended for the particularly squeamish.Anyway, without giving any of the plot away - samurais, ninjas, geishas, gunslingers, rebels, traitors, battles, murder, assassination, prophecies, palaces and whorehouses. Oh and... er... a lot of tea.

+++

"Insomnia" by Stephen King recommended by Flopsy

A brief description: *************

+++

"Friday Night Lights" by H.G. Bissinger. recommended by Rovermatt

A brief description: It's a brilliant study of small town America and the obsessions and lives of the people who live in places like Odessa, Texas.

++++++++++++

"The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson. Recommended by Flopsy (me too - Colin)

A brief description: had me laughing out loud a number of times.

+++

"Floodlight Dreams: How To Save A Football Club" by Ian Ridley. Recommended by me

A brief description: Born in Weymouth, he always followed its football club which was playing in the Southern League. Due to its

mismanagement he took over the club and became Chairman. It describes the 18 months he was there until he was shafted by a local hotellier/businessman.

+++

"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel recommended by Rosie

A brief description: it tells the story of a boy (the lone human survivor) shipwrecked along with a hyena, an orang utang and a Bengal tiger. Very well written and captivating in my opinion.

+++

"A History of the World in Six Glasses" by Tom Standage recommended by Four Lane Blue

A brief description: looks at how beverages such as beer, wine, spirits, tea, coffee and water pushed forward civilisation at various times. It is not as interesting as expected but seems to be slowly getting going.

+++

'Shoeless Joe" by W.P. Kinsella recommended by Rovermatt

A brief description: a truly fantastic and original piece of literature. It almost makes you want to go to Iowa. Almost.

+++

"Long Walk to Freedom," Nelson Mandela's autobiography. recommended by Wiggy

A brief description: What a fantastic account of a truly remarkable life. As it's rather long, probably perfect for a holiday.

+++

Steven Pressfield's "Gates of Fire." recommended by Rovermatt

A brief description: It's absolutely fantastic. Amen to that, brother. GOF should be required reading for all European citizens and a moral requirement for all heterosexual men. Bloody fantastic stuff. (sidders)

+++

Nathanial Philbrick's "Mayflower" recommended by Blue Phil

A brief description: about the new England settlement....If it's anywhere near as good as his magnificent earlier book "In the Heart of the Sea" (which I recommend to anyone ) it'll be worth it .

+++

The Prester Quest" by Nicholas Jubber. ISBN 0-553-81628-4. Published by Bantam books. Recommended by me

A brief description: Partly a sort of hippy narrative about his journey from Rome to Ethiopia, but mostly absolutely crammed full to the brim with history and observations of the regions his journey took him through.

+++

"Ancient Rome , the rise and fall of an empire" Simon Baker . Recommended by Blue Phil

A brief description: I took this on holiday and was very surprised at its quality and readibility (if that's a word) .It's apparently based on a BBC series.

I'll add more later

Edited by colin

Being a complete and shameless tourist I bought The Lancashire Witches in a bookstore in the shadow of Lancaster Castle. Anyone read it and is it even worth it? I've gone through the fuirst 20 pages and it's a difficult read, what witht he olde english and the dialect written out. I'm not one to give up on a good challenge, but if it's not worth it, I won't bother. I have a nice tome about Stalinist Industrial Development, Magnetic Mountain waiting to be cracked open.

I've also been banging on about the Flashman books for years on here as has Blue Phil. Maybe we need a short list of recommended books we can post so people don't have to search for yonks. Other richly recommended books seem to include Curiuus Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, This Thing Called Darkness, Short History of Nearly Everything etc...we just need someone who can be bothered enough to go back and read through all the threads...

Regarding the Flashman series it is worth noting that in the first book Flashman is a much nastier piece of work than in the rest and far more amoral. In the rest of the series his japes and cadly behaviour are generally amusing in tone but the first book is very dark and it is hard to sympathise with him at all at times.

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and Short History of Nearly Everything: Read both and loved them. This Thing of Darkness: Reading now and loving it. This is a very good thread and the list (which Colin is making) is a good idea - I can just take the list to the library now!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.