BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holiday Reading

I am about half way through The Damned United, a rather unusual piece ostensibly based on Brian Cloughs short spell at Leeds United. It is fiction I suppose, but based on very well researched facts I reckon, and the first person narrative is interrupted by italicised psychotic flashbacks from his early playing demise in the North East to his rise through managing Hartlepool and Derby to succeeding his nemesis Don Revie.

A real page turner and I fully recommend it.

Link to Amazon and the reviews The Damned United

Apologies if already mentioned earlier in the thread.

Agreed, I couldn't put it down. If you didn't hate 70's Leeds already, you will after reading it. I also enjoyed Sir Alf - sorry can't recall the author etc as I have lent it to a mate - what a manager.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished off Terry Pratchett's latest "Making Money."

It's up to his usual standard with the usual twists & turns, wry observations, taking the mickey out of modern day society, funny, compassionate and he always has a happy ending with the little (good guys & gals) winning over the baddies whoever they are.

Pratchatt has recently be diagnosed with a form of Alzheimer's

here

Part of me feels that it might just make his writing so much more interesting.

Another part of me hopes that a bloke who has given me so much entertainment over so many years:

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

I have just finished A Thousand Spendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, who also wrote The Kite Runner which was recommended earlier.

This is a fabulous, heart rending tale following the lives of two Afghanistani women from the period prior to the Soviet invasion through to the fall of the Taliban. Even though it's fiction it gives an insight into what our troops are up against in this much troubled country. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

"Friday Night Lights" by H.G. Bissinger. recommended by Rovermatt

A brief description: It's a brilliant study of small town America and the obsessions and lives of the people who live in places like Odessa, Texas.

Back up to the top.

I'm now half way through this. A weird & wonderful tale of West Texas, school (American) football & small town attitudes. Gripping read.

"Friday Night Lights" by H.G. Bissinger. recommended by Rovermatt

A brief description: It's a brilliant study of small town America and the obsessions and lives of the people who live in places like Odessa, Texas.

Back up to the top.

I'm now half way through this. A weird & wonderful tale of West Texas, school (American) football & small town attitudes. Gripping read.

Fantastic isn't it? If you haven't seen the film or TV show I would highly recommend both.

• 3 weeks later...

Not had much chance to read of late but managed to finish Nick Hornby's "Slam" over the weekend. Seems like a good book to give 15 year olds to warn them about the consequences of unprotected sex. (My youngest read it in two sittings). I thought Hornby did a reasonable job of telling the story from a 15 / 16 year olds perspective, I didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters but did find I had to finish the book to know what happened to them all. Not the best read I've had, anyone else read it?

I'm just starting "We Need to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just starting "We Need to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver.

Seems I'm the only one doing any reading right now!

Finished this last night and what a good read. The "plot", if you want to call it that, is based around a fictional Columbine style killing in the US. Told through the eyes of the killer's mother each chapter is a letter written to Kevin's (the killer son) father examing the marriage, the mother's feelings about being a parent, herself, the family as a unit, Kevin and I suppose to some degree modern America.

A very good read in which the author manages to switch the reader's support and emotion towards the different characters around as the book progresses. This will make you think, the outcomes are not what I expected and I was surprised by the way the story twisted through the book, there were few hints of such twists and turns until the page was turned and it hit you in the face.

A good and rewarding read, hard work but worth it. I'm reluctant to expand to much on the plot line as knowing any part could spoil one's enjoyment of the previous pages.

Not had much chance to read of late but managed to finish Nick Hornby's "Slam" over the weekend. Seems like a good book to give 15 year olds to warn them about the consequences of unprotected sex. (My youngest read it in two sittings). I thought Hornby did a reasonable job of telling the story from a 15 / 16 year olds perspective, I didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters but did find I had to finish the book to know what happened to them all. Not the best read I've had, anyone else read it?

I'm reading 'A Long Way Down' by Hornby at the moment. Tells the tale of 4 people who meet when all coincidentally go to top themselves from the same suicide point on New Year's Eve. So far it hasn't really got going so will reserve judgement.

Recently finished 'The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts' by Louis de Bernieres which was a interesting and particularly good at the start. It went on to drag in parts and is of the magical realism style. Much better than his 'Captain Corelli's Mandiolin' which I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Jon Snow's (the Channel 4 news chap) autobiography 'Shooting History' is a rip-roaring read as he covers locations as diverse as Nicaragua, Vietnam, the US, Iraq and meets the likes of Idi Amin in Uganda during his roving career as a journalist. Snow is rather a man of principles and was a passionate opposer of the Apartheid regime. Recommended.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

William Woodruff the Historian recounts his Blackburn childhood and more in his book The Road to Nab End.

I had seen this book around for some time, and, interested on the links with Blackburn, on being made the present of a book voucher decided to treat myself to it.

Woven into the tale of the everyday life of a boy born in 1916 in a cotton mill is a fascinating insight into how a Blackburn family survived in those times. Blackburn Rovers has a mention

Everybody but the dead and dying watched Rovers
He also mentioned the singing of "Abide With Me" at the ground
The singing gave me gooseflesh
and the excitement in the town when Rovers went to Wembley in 1928 and came back with the FA Cup. For the first time the match was broadcast on radio from Wembley.

No doubt many of you have already read this book, but for those who have not you have missed a treat.

List No 8

Milestones by Sayed Qutb

recommended by Bazaanotsogreat

Only 160 pages, very quick read indeed

After the attempted assasination of Egyptian President Nasser in 1954 by Muslim Brotherhood operatives, a number of Muslim Brotherhood leaders, including Sayyid Qutb, were imprisoned. While in prison Qutb wrote a 30-volume series on his interpretation of the Quran, "In The Shade of the Quran", as well as this book, "Milestones". Milestones is at its core a treatis on Political Islam, After Qutb was hanged for subversion in 1966, his brother Muhammed Qutb went to Saudi Arabia, where he taught Islamic Studies. Among his students was Ayman Zawahiri, teacher of Osama Bin Laden.

+++++++++

'I Am Legend' By Richard Matheson

Recommended by Starscascade

Just finished. Thought this was truely amazing and extremely chilling at parts. Nothing at all like the film except that the Vampires bare the resemblance that they come out at night, and that the protagonist is the last man alive....as expected really. But thats all really you can compare between the film and book.

+++++++++++

Colin Bateman "Of Wee Sweetie Mice and Men."

Recommended by Hypo-Luxa

Well at the recommendation of Colin(?) I picked (this up) Was enjoyable and pretty funny in parts as well. I'll be picking up more from him. It takes the mind off of the more heavy history books I immerse myself in.

+++++++++

Frederick Spotts' "Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics"

Recommended by Blue Phil

Incidentally , anyone wishing to get the best insight into Hitler's psyche should try reading Frederick Spotts' "Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics" . An outstanding book in a very crowded field of biographies

+++++++++

The Damned United

Recommended by ozziejones

I am about half way through The Damned United, a rather unusual piece ostensibly based on Brian Clough's short spell at Leeds United. It is fiction I suppose, but based on very well researched facts I reckon, and the first person narrative is interrupted by italicised psychotic flashbacks from his early playing demise in the North East to his rise through managing Hartlepool and Derby to succeeding his nemesis Don Revie.

A real page turner and I fully recommend it.

+++++++++++++

The Red Dwarf Omnibus (Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, Better Than Life, Backwards, etc)

Recommended by Wolverine

That reminds me, Colin. The Red Dwarf Omnibus is superb stuff . Expands on the TV series and provides some background info from your favourite (if you like the show) characters.

I don't know if it is still in print or not but it is bloody good.

+++++++++++++++

World War Z by Max Brooks

Recommended by Nelsta

It's set a few years after the Human race was nearly wiped out by a horde of Zombies

It's based on interviews with survivors and key players in the 10-year fight back against said Zombie horde.

It's funny, Scary, Gory and really enjoyable......If you like Zombie type things.

He also wrote Zombie Survival Guide.Wich is another well worth a read...Again if you like that type of thing.

++++++++++

Terry Pratchett's latest "Making Money."

Recommended by me

It's up to his usual standard with the usual twists & turns, wry observations, taking the mickey out of modern day society, funny, compassionate and he always has a happy ending with the little (good guys & gals) winning over the baddies whoever they are.

+++++++++++

A Thousand Spendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Recommended by Wiggy

I have just finished (this. He) also wrote The Kite Runner which was recommended earlier.

This is a fabulous, heart rending tale following the lives of two Afghanistani women from the period prior to the Soviet invasion through to the fall of the Taliban. Even though it's fiction it gives an insight into what our troops are up against in this much troubled country. Highly recommended.

+++++++++++

Nick Hornby's "Slam"

Recommended by Paul

Not had much chance to read of late but managed to finish (this) over the weekend. Seems like a good book to give 15 year olds to warn them about the consequences of unprotected sex. (My youngest read it in two sittings). I thought Hornby did a reasonable job of telling the story from a 15 / 16 year olds perspective, I didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters but did find I had to finish the book to know what happened to them all. Not the best read I've had, anyone else read it?

+++++++++++

"We Need to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver.

Recommended by Paul

Finished this last night and what a good read. The "plot", if you want to call it that, is based around a fictional Columbine style killing in the US. Told through the eyes of the killer's mother each chapter is a letter written to Kevin's (the killer son) father examing the marriage, the mother's feelings about being a parent, herself, the family as a unit, Kevin and I suppose to some degree modern America.

A very good read in which the author manages to switch the reader's support and emotion towards the different characters around as the book progresses. This will make you think, the outcomes are not what I expected and I was surprised by the way the story twisted through the book, there were few hints of such twists and turns until the page was turned and it hit you in the face.

A good and rewarding read, hard work but worth it. I'm reluctant to expand to much on the plot line as knowing any part could spoil one's enjoyment of the previous pages.

+++++++++++++

'The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts' by Louis de Bernieres

Recommended by Four Lane Blue

Recently finished (this) which was a interesting and particularly good at the start. It went on to drag in parts and is of the magical realism style. Much better than his 'Captain Corelli's Mandiolin' which I couldn't bring myself to finish.

+++++++++

Jon Snow's (the Channel 4 news chap) autobiography 'Shooting History'

Recommended by Four Lane Blue

......a rip-roaring read as he covers locations as diverse as Nicaragua, Vietnam, the US, Iraq and meets the likes of Idi Amin in Uganda during his roving career as a journalist. Snow is rather a man of principles and was a passionate opposer of the Apartheid regime. Recommended.

++++++++

William Woodruff the Historian recounts his Blackburn childhood and more in his book The Road to Nab End.

Recommended by Roversmum

I had seen this book around for some time, and, interested on the links with Blackburn, on being made the present of a book voucher decided to treat myself to it.

Woven into the tale of the everyday life of a boy born in 1916 in a cotton mill is a fascinating insight into how a Blackburn family survived in those times. Blackburn Rovers has a mention.

and the excitement in the town when Rovers went to Wembley in 1928 and came back with the FA Cup. For the first time the match was broadcast on radio from Wembley.

No doubt many of you have already read this book, but for those who have not you have missed a treat.

(I've read both his books Mum, they are both highly enjoyable and give a real sense of history to the town, the second one is more based on what he did after he moved away though - Colin)

• 1 month later...

OK, back to the top for this.

A few years ago that I wrote one of the match previews for one of our games v West Bromwich Albion. More in hope than expectation I sent an e-mail to Adrian Chiles, 5 Live presenter and anchor-man for MOTD2, asking him if he would do a Q & A. He agreed, and sent me a great one.

Last year he had a book published by Sphere Books “We Don’t Know What We’re Doing” – Adventures with the extraordinary fans of an ordinary team.”

Many people will Know that Chiles is a Baggies fan, but what most will not know is just how much of one he is. He goes to as many games, home and away, as he can fit in. He is in fact, a real committed fan, not, as you may expect, a part-timer surviving off freebies from the MOTD office.

This book is the story of the 2005-2006 season, unfortunately for him it was the season they were relegated. And yes, Rovers 2 (Kuqi 2) v 0 WBA & WBA 2 (Cambell, Greening) v 0 Rovers are both in.

The book is not about the games themselves, but more about the Baggies fans who he meets during the season. As the blurb on the back says he: “meets the fan who’s only missed five games since the second world war, and the woman who narrowly survived finishing on the losing side in the second world war, only finding herself in West Bromwich supporting another team that seemed to make a habit of losing.

Then there is the woman who has never seen a side concede a goal because she always covers her eyes; the bloke whose leg fell off against Wolves; the Sikh woman whose parents banned her from going, who now bans her children from not going; and the octogenarian who, relegated or promoted, weaves a rug to celebrate.”

As you’d expect from a season which ends in relegation, there’s a fair bit of gloom about, but this is one of the reasons why I like this book. Anybody can (& has,) written about a team’s “glory season,” but Chiles perfectly describes the abject misery of seeing your team put in a shocking performance. He describes it just as I feel it. He perfectly reflects how l felt after Rovers 1 v Coventry 4 (FA Cup.)

There are lots of little detail about all kinds of things, covered with brilliant humour such as being near a youthful ###### up Baggies fan who has already puked, away at Highbury.

“If we lose and he throws up on me it will be a disaster.”

“Yes but if we win and he throws up on you it’ll be worse. You’ll have to get him to do it every other game as a good luck symbol.”

So, it’s not really about football, and it’s not particularly about being a Baggies fan. It’s about being a football fan and about other football fans who support the same team as you.

One thing struck me: many of the people he describes have their sort of opposite numbers on here. There’s a Baggie’s version of “Jordan,” a “Waggie,” a “Revidge,” a “Fife,” a “Jan,” & a “Roversmum.” There’s plenty of ex-pats in the story to reflect the ones on here and, no doubt if you read it, you’ll find some more.

I’ll finish with more book-cover blurb: “The story, just like supporting a football team is by turns hilarious, heartwarming and heartbreaking."

Unreservedly recommended.

I finally finished Robert Hicks's The Widow of the South - a beautifully written and affecting Civil War novel. I would recommend it to anyone interested in this period of history.

I'm now moving onto Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

I fancy a go on Colin's Adrian Chiles book. I think Chiles is a bit of a pillock but I've a soft spot for books detailing that level of footie obsession. Fever Pitch is another one (one I'm sure has cropped up on this thread before).

Last night I read the first chapter of Tim Park's A Season With Verona (recommended by Mr Creosote on one of Nicko's threads). If it continues as well as it's started I won't be able to put it down all weekend. Expect a glowing review soon!

If you fancy a Da Vinci code-esque read then try "The Sacred Cut" by David Hewson. I don't really read much, but once I got into it, there was no putting it down. In fact, once I'd read it, I left it in the hotel reception for someone else to read, and it had gone within five minutes :!:

I fancy a go on Colin's Adrian Chiles book. I think Chiles is a bit of a pillock but I've a soft spot for books detailing that level of footie obsession. Fever Pitch is another one (one I'm sure has cropped up on this thread before).

Last night I read the first chapter of Tim Park's A Season With Verona (recommended by Mr Creosote on one of Nicko's threads). If it continues as well as it's started I won't be able to put it down all weekend. Expect a glowing review soon!

I forgrot to mention "The Damned United" by David Peace which I read on my last hol. For those who havn't read it it's a fact based novel based on Brian Clough's ill fated tenure at Leeds in the mid seventies written from the perspective of the man himself.

A real "page turner" as the airport paperback blurbs like to say.

Has anyone read the classic novel by EM Forster, "A Passage to India".

I really like it but I'm not sure why. Not that I didn't want to like it - but it isn't a particularly exciting book in the orthodox sense but there's something profound about it that is hard to put my finger on.

I'm reading 'A Long Way Down' by Hornby at the moment. Tells the tale of 4 people who meet when all coincidentally go to top themselves from the same suicide point on New Year's Eve. So far it hasn't really got going so will reserve judgement.

Did you end up liking this, FLB? I read it a few years back when we were in Germany for the World Cup and there weren't a lot of English books to choose from. I enjoyed it - found it very easy to read. I picked up his latest effort the other day but haven't started it yet.

I imagine it may have been mentioned already (not going to trawl back through it) but one of the best things I've read recently is "A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian" by Marina Lewycka. It's an amusing tale of two sisters who try to help their 84 year old father who has married a 30-something Ukranian immigrant so that she can be allowed into the country. Took me months to bother to start reading it, but got through it very quickly once I'd started.

In the last couple of weeks I've read "Fatty Batter" by an amateur cricket obsessive called Michael Simkins. Very very funny account of his love for the game and the Sunday League team he organised. I'd definitely recommend it to any cricket fans.

Also finished "Football Dynamo" by Marc Bennetts, which is the account of an Englishman who has been living in Russia for the last 10 years. It investigates corruption, match-fixing, the big clubs and ultimately the psyche of Russia. He mostly keeps it modern which makes it easier to get into, and I found it extremely interested learning about all the aspects of a country that I hadn't really thought much about previously.

Did you end up liking this, FLB? I read it a few years back when we were in Germany for the World Cup and there weren't a lot of English books to choose from. I enjoyed it - found it very easy to read. I picked up his latest effort the other day but haven't started it yet.

To be honest I thought it wasn´t bad but not especially good. Easy enough to read but not up there with High Fidelity or Fever Pitch. Hornby is usually the type of writer whose work you can speed through...a bit like John O´ Farrel. Both good writers with some genuinely funny moments.

Two books I have read recently that I would recommend are...

Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller which was recently made into a film. Interesting take on a middle aged female teacher having an affair with a student and then the media frenzy when it is found out. Very good narrator as well...a bit creepy and very voyeuristic.

The Second book would be Sunday at the pool in Kigali by Gil Courtemanche which is about a Canadian expat in Rwanda during the days leading up to the genocide in the nineties there. Eye-opening and brutal...it has plenty to say about Africa and the role of the white man there...as well as just how messed up colonialism has left some places even to this day.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.