BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holiday Reading

I read the Da Vinci Code while on holiday. It's a very good book, with a great story. The only problem is that it is poorly written and total nonsense, in terms of it being factual.

343300[/snapback]

Wikipedia does a pretty good job of sorting the fact from the fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davinci_code#...behind_the_book

Bloody good read though, be it fact or fiction.

... National Geographic TV also did a great documentary on it (again, investigating which bits are histroically accurate).

I read it 30 years ago and find I am bloody well living it today! sad.gif

343374[/snapback]

Reminds me of when you got banned mate

"People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I have to recommend Mick Wall's book on John Peel which includes some fantastic memories of John recalled by friends and colleagues over the years but best of all, lists all of his festive 50s at the back from about 1976 onwards.

I have to recommend Mick Wall's book on John Peel which includes some fantastic memories of John recalled by friends and colleagues over the years but best of all, lists all of his festive 50s at the back from about 1976 onwards.

343534[/snapback]

is this the offical one? I know when he carked it there was talk about an offical one...

Not if you're talking about the book that John had been paid 1.5 million upfront for before his death. He'd only got through most of his childhood according to Mick Wall's book. That's still subject to negotiation with his wife (when she feels ready for it) and the publishing company.

It's just a really good read and Mick Wall has done his homework.

Edited by rosie

Reminds me of when you got banned mate

"People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

343380[/snapback]

........... before finally being resurrected as a 'Grumpy Old Git' which incidentally I read just after somebody dry.gif bought it for me for Christmas. Quite a funny and enjoyable read ........cant think why I have so little time and patience for Jim.

Edited by thenodrog

• 4 weeks later...

Finally read Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code' and must say I preferred his other novel, 'Angels and Demons'. The latter book seems to have some slightly less convoluted codes to break or maybe I'm just getting a bit weary of his writing style. There are only so many cliffhanger chapter endings I can put up with to be honest. Still, I devoured it in pretty quick time so it certainly did the job.

Other than that read "All Quiet on the Orient Express', a very understated tale of guy in a British holiday resort who sometimes becomes embroiled in the local community despite wanting to bugger off pretty quick sharp and catch the train of the title. The authour, Magnus Mills, was a London cabbie until a few years ago before his first book was nominated for a Booker. A nice tale but a bit too lacking in any excitement for me, also not up to the standard of the first one. Maybe of interest to any who particularly the very understated, very British-style of quirkiness/humour that can be taken for eccentricity. Seems to remind me slightly of Last of the Summer Wine/Heartbeat/Born and Bred, those type of English country pubs and tea places kind of scenes albeit with a bit of a darker heart than those.

All in all though, preferred the airport-Lit of Dan Brown. A thriller with some rather interesting (sometimes of dubious accuracy) history thrown in to.

• 3 weeks later...
Just been reading a book called "The History Of Glue"

Facinating

I just couldn't put it down.

353961[/snapback]

You deserve to be boiled down for glue for that.

I recently read "A child called It" by Dave Pelzer. Riveting, deeply upsetting and left me feeling very angry. For those that don't know, Pelzer has written his memoirs of his horrendous childhood and the abuse he suffered at the hands of his mother while his father did nothing to save him. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by this. It's the first in a trilogy but after completing the first part I have decided to opt for something lighter before I start the second part. Consequently, I've just started reading "Vernon God Little" by DBC Pierre and it's not bad, but the style takes a bit of getting used to. Anyway, it's made me laugh out loud a few times and I'm only up to chapter 4 so it must be doing something right. Once finished I will be returning to Pelzer's second part of his triilogy, "The Lost Boy".

Over the summer I read "Harlequin", "Vagabond" and "Hereteic" (all by Bernard Cornwell) and they're not bad to read while on holiday (or while up on blocks as a result of a sprained ankle in my case). They are a trilogy chronicling the adventures of an English archer during the earlier part of the Hundred Years War. The characters are a bit 2D and anyone familiar with Cornwell's Sharpe novels will be able to recognise them straight away, but there is enough historical detail and exciting set-pieces to keep most entertained.

I also read "Neanderthal" by John Darnton. Very reminiscent of Michael Crichton in style and subject matter but superior, in my opinion. In short, a group of scientists travel to the remotest parts of Tajikistan (look it up in your atlas) in search of yetis but discover something more surprising... and frightening. It's not great literature, but it's infinitely better than the sort of stuff offered up by Dan bloody Brown.

Not if you're talking about the book that John had been paid 1.5 million upfront for before his death.  He'd only got through most of his childhood according to Mick Wall's book.  That's still subject to negotiation with his wife (when she feels ready for it) and the publishing company.

It's just a really good read and Mick Wall has done his homework.

343552[/snapback]

I read this recently and was a bit disappointed, to be honest - all secondhand and a bit superficial IMO. However, it did bring me out in a Nick Hornby "High Fidelity" moment as I studied the festive 50 playlists and noted that only The Fall appeared in every chart consecutively from their debut appearance!!

I think I'd better get out more.

He's hard to find now, however Gordon Stevens is a brilliant author who has written a number of fantastic books

I would recommend - All the Kings MEn and Kara's game as two that you really really should try and get hold off and give a try

Whisper who Dares by Terrence Strong is pretty good, as is Stalking Horse and the Tick Tock Man

He's hard to find now, however Gordon Stevens is a brilliant author who has written a number of fantastic books

I would recommend - All the Kings MEn and Kara's game as two that you really really should try and get hold off and give a try

Whisper who Dares by Terrence Strong is pretty good, as is Stalking Horse and the Tick Tock Man

355275[/snapback]

The shadow of the wind!

by Carlos ruiz Zafron!

or

My sisters keeper! forgot who wrote it...will make you cry unless big and 'ard like me...ok not true I sobbed my frikin heart out! books eh?

• 5 months later...

Back to the top again as it has all been quiet on the book front for a while and I figured we'd have all read a few new things by now. Over the last few months I have been reading...

State Of Fear by Michael Crichton - rubbish. Definitely the worst book of his that I have read. It's even worse than Prey and that's saying something. And the science "facts" are largely nonsense. Don't bother.

Imperial Governor by George Shipway - without question one of the best books I've ever read. It is the "memoir" of Suetonius Paulinus who was the Roman Governor of Britain at the time of the Boudicca rebellion in 60/61 AD and it presents Paulinus as a deeply troubled man, short of friends, facing a seemingly unstoppable enemy and in desperate need of a bit of good luck. This is really gripping stuff as Shipway weaves his tale of death, sex, honour, defeat, victory and deceit and I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone, especially those who are interested in the very bloody history of these islands. The battle scenes are pretty fierce stuff with the amphibious assault on Anglessey making the opening 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan seem rather tame in comparison, while the final battle with the warrior queen conjures up images of an open-air abattoir. That said, it's not all violence and slaughter as there's plenty of humour, intrigue and a bit of how's-your-father, and it makes you genuinely care about Paulinus and want him to win and each setback hits the reader hard, especially the massacre of the IX Legion and the genocide in London. For those of you who have read Wallace Breem's epic Eagle In The Snow or Steven Pressfield's Gates Of Fire and never thought you'd find better, here it is.

Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian - the second book in the Aubrey/Maturin series that many of you will be familiar with as a result of the Russell Crowe Master & Commander film. I found this instalment to be even better than M&C and promptly went out and bought the third book. A good old-fashioned tale of derring-do and a lot of yo-ho-ho and bottles of rum. The love story element drags on a bit, but the scenes at sea and Aubrey's attempts to escape the debtor's prison more than make up for it. Grand stuff.

Brendon Chase by "BB" - I first read this book when I was 11 and (foolishly) let my cousin borrow it... never to be seen again. The book that is, sadly my cousin is till around. Years later I saw it on Amazon and bought it for my nephew who subsequently raved about it. In a moment of indulgence I bought it for myself again and read it - what a joy! Described by many as the greatest children's book ever written (including Philip Pullman), it tells the tale of three brothers who flee the clutches of their over-protective aunt and run away to live as outlaws in the wild wood of Brendon Chase. Once there, they kill vast amounts of wild animals, make clothes out of rabbit pelts, raid the picnic baskets of unsuspecting trippers and make the life of the local constabulary a misery. What shines out from this book is the love of nature and the joy of being young. Yes, the fact that the boys have a rifle, steal rare birds' eggs, kill rare butterflies and deliberately trap a badger for its skin might make you feel a tad uncomfortable, but you have to remember it was written in 1944 when notions of conservation were somewhat different. If any of you have kids who spend their whole lives sat playing computer games and you want them to go outside and live a bit, this book might inspire them. Then again, if you just want a bit of nostalgia and relive the fun of climbing tress, having mini-adventures and not doing as grown-ups tell you, this one is for you.

Nero's Heirs by Allan Massie - finished this one the other night and can't help but feel it wasn't as good as his Caesar and Antony but still a good read. Like his other books, it is narrated by an eyewitness to calamitous events, this time in the lead up to and time after Nero's death. It takes a long time to get going but with each subsequent emperor's rapid passing the tale gathers pace until Vitellius (a truly odious wretch) is overthrown by Vespasian. As ever with Massie's books, it's very clever and there's a bit of ooh-la-la, although most of that is about the narrator's lust for his boy slave, but it is the political scheming and lust for power that is the real driving force here. Good stuff and recommended for anyone interested in the debauchery of the Caesars and/or political intrigue, but maybe not so accessible for the more casual reader.

Right, that's five to be going on with, all of which are available on Amazon at cheap rates. What have you lot been browsing over?

Edited by Cheeky Sidders

His Dark MAterials by Philip Pulman is well worth a gander by all ages. Unless you're a devout Catholic, then you really really really wont like it

395255[/snapback]

I've heard many similar comments from alot of people of many ages and I have to say I was tempted to buy the first book of the trilogy (Northern Lights?), but I've got a stack of books waiting to be read. I'm taking a break for a couple of weeks from reading for fun (got a lot of academic reading to do) but I expect the next one up will be Birdsong.

having trouble sleeping, you wont after reading birdsong wink.gif

Michael Connoly's a good crime writter

for "action"/airport read - try Lee Child, Nelson Demile or Jeffery Deaver.

Simon Scarrow's "Eagle" series arent bad at all

"The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time" by Mark Haddon is rather an eye-opener. It sort of drags you along in a morbid/intersting/ let's see what happens next way due to the fact that it is written from the point of view of someone who is autistic.

Having lived next door to an autistic bloke for a number of years it really rang a few bells. I don't think you have to know anyone autistic to be enthralled by it.

I was given a compendium of Michael Palin's books for Chrimbo. Better than underpants though. Sometimes I'm reading it and thinking "the photographers are the stars of this one Michael, you're just putting the words inbetween the pictures."

I'm taking a break for a couple of weeks from reading for fun (got a lot of academic reading to do) but I expect the next one up will be Birdsong.

395259[/snapback]

Sebastian Faulks? It's not often I don't finish a book but "On Green Dolphin Steet" has me bored to tears.

But then you're not me.

Both 'Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time' and 'Birdsong' are good reads. 'Birdsong' has a part that is extremely erotic - I wouldn't reecommend reading the first 100 or so pages on a bus or train!

As for 'His Dark Materials", I read the first book and didn't bother with anymore. Don't know why but I expected a bit more, maybe it improves in the later books.

Recently I have been reading...

'Frost on My Moustache: Travels with a Lord and a Loafer' by Tim Moore. The title comes from a joke...a guy is driving around Iceland when his car breaks down. When the mechanic comes to fix it he says "I've think you've just blown a seal..." whereupon the guy replies "No, It's just frost on my moustache." Moore tries telling this joke through a journey in Iceland, the Faroes, Shetlands, Norway and onto Spitzbergen, retracing the steps of Lord Dufferin, one of those eccentric explorers that Britain used to produce in shedloads. After a slow start it becomes a very funny journey and is highly recommended.

'The Fourth Estate' by Jeffrey Archer. Real airport-lit...literally! It's where I found it in the bargain bin! Interesting tale of two media barons unashamedly based on Murdoch and Maxwell. It's diverting enough but feels like it was produced on a conveyor belt. Although not an Archer fan I must admit that his 'Kane and Abel' was a good read, this was just a poor imitation. OK though for the beach.

'Disgrace' by JM Coetzee. Brilliant Booker-prize winner set in the turbulent post-Apartheid South Africa. The best book I have read in the last year without doubt. Coetzee is one of the world's greatest authors...and that is no exaggeration.

'How to Be Good' by Nick Hornby. Not one of his best and one heck of a slow starter but the second half is excellent, thanks mainly to the appearance of GoodNews, a happy-clappy space tripper of a dropout.

Deception Point - Bit tedious really, with the same Government conspiracy/big business/paranoia themes, this time centred around NASA and the NRA. Not good but acceptable enough for a no-brainer read. Poor compared to his others though.

'The Rule of Four' by Iain Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. Utter crap. Says on the cover " If you loved The Da Vinci Code - Dive into this" but even for the biggest fan of that book, this is poor stuff. Awful prosse, dumb plotlines and cardboard characters. Awful book.

'The Woman who walked into doors' by Roddy Doyle. Excellent tale of domestic violence by the ever-excellent Doyle.

'The Last English King' by Julian Rathbone. Excellent, wordy retelling of the final days of King Harold...before he took 'one in the eye' for Ye Olde Englande. Recommended to any history buffs or those who enjoy historical literature. It is rather a literary work however and so expects more of its reader than am 'Emporer' book.

There's certainly a few good (and not so good) choices there. Good to see this topic being brought back to the top...yet again! thumbs-up.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

Edited by FourLaneBlue

For other action/adventure/airport reading try Jack DuBrul or Clive Cusslers earlier books.

Kyle Mills is an interesting look, especially Smoke Screen.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS any book that says "If you liked...... you'll like this" or "BETTER than ......"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.