BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stead Completes Sunderland Move

sorry to see stead go,but we must back hughes on this.

poster's are panicking about the lack off signing's,as long as we have 2 new strikers in place at the start off pre-season trianing all will be well.

as for bringing back andy [king goal] cole,have you all forgot the last 2 season's he was here.he may have fallen out with sourpuss but surely the way to get one over the manager is to play your heart out ,score goals and get the fans on your side rather than stand on the half way line sulking.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but surely the way to get one over the manager is to play your heart out ,score goals and get the fans on your side rather than stand on the half way line sulking.

323637[/snapback]

EH huh.gif ????????But that is what Cole DID do Waggy.....the excellent reception he got after his last game said it all.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

well it must be a different game from the blackburn end,cole did very little for us after his 1st season.

323653[/snapback]

not up to the standards of your youth team heroes I guess

sulk or not sulk, still on a different wavelength than our team...

well it must be a different game from the blackburn end,cole did very little for us after his 1st season.

323653[/snapback]

I disagree, and I sit in the Blackburn End. As has been said, the reception he got at that last home game said more than words ever could.

323653[/snapback]

Thats an unbelievable statement Waggy,were you cherry picking on Manxman hill when the games were on? wink.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I disagree, and I sit in the Blackburn End. As has been said, the reception he got at that last home game said more than words ever could.

323659[/snapback]

i think receptions given at ewood mean very little,the best rover of all time was booed endlessly on his 1st and 2nd return to ewood.

323653[/snapback]

Cole was bought to score goals and if you look at it in that context yes he did very little but being told to run the channels, which isn't his game, he worked his socks off and played very well indeed for me the season he left.

I'd welcome him back with open arms although I fear many won't as he's past his best.

As for Stead, he wasn't good enough but has something that may develop with time; unfortunately we don't have that time.

Good luck and thanks for keeping us up.

Guest timflowers

Getting rid of Stead is a disaster for Rovers. From being a Division 2 Huddersfield hero he was propelled into the Premier League and the U21 spotlight. He saved us from the drop with some brilliant goals (Fulham 4-3) and at only 1.25m looked like a great buy. Okay, this season has been more than disappointing but sooner or later his initial success was going to catch up with him. At 22 he was the future of BRFC- what sort of message does this send out about Rovers? I was hoping we would show patience and not resort to the tried-and-failed technique of buying in ageing has-beens. Lots of people have mentioned the system employed by rovers did not suit his game and this is true- after all his previous success with the Terriers had come alongside Andy Booth. The selling of Stead was a short-term sell-out as will be the potential signings of Philips or Cole.

O.K stop having a cow! withstupid.gif  withstupid.gif  withstupid.gif

323404[/snapback]

Right.. thats enough of your muppetry, your posts are now on mod preview, so only any constructive ones will get onto the board.

323409[/snapback]

Just rememberd this one. Made me chuckle. biggrin.gif Muppetry!

323653[/snapback]

Cole was bought to score goals and if you look at it in that context yes he did very little but being told to run the channels, which isn't his game, he worked his socks off and played very well indeed for me the season he left.

I'd welcome him back with open arms although I fear many won't as he's past his best.

323712[/snapback]

Must be different from over our side of the BBE Gav!!

I have to say that I'm a little dissapointed to see Stead leave. Especially if Cole does come back as the two of them seemed to work well together.

However, it really depends on who we get in doesn't it. If we sign a couple of class strikers then it'll be a case of Stead who? If we don't sign anyone then we're buggered really aren't we.

My thoughts exactly. In an ideal world Stead would have stayed as I can see him developing into at least a squad player at Premiership level. However, if Stead has to be sacrificed for the greater good than so be it. Hughes will be under a lot more pressure now to justify such a sale, his choice of strikers becomes if possible even more important. Maybe Stead could have done a Jansen and not be enough in the short term but in a season or so the real deal.

Thanks for some magic moments and keeping us up.

Good luck to Stead at Sunderland. He's the victim of the rampant short-termism that is rife in football. Souness signed him as a long-term prospect - is one and a bit seasons a long-term opportunity?

But we don't know the financial situation, so it is more than likely that Hughes had to make the sacrifice to bring in a striker who will supposedly make an immediate impact. Although - had we not wasted our dosh on Savage, we may well have been able to afford this mystery signing without selling one of our more promising young strikers.

Anyways - bring on the new signing.

I don't mean to have a go at Hughes, because I do believe he's done a good job thus far. However, recently a lot of posters have heaped praise on Hughes for the improvement in a no. of players, such as Reid, Todd, Emerton to some extent... and I agree.

But I can't help but feel that likewise, Hughes has to hold himself partly responsible for the deteriation in Steads performances. He looked such a prospect coming into the season just passed... I won't try and predict if Steads form picks up at Sunderland, but to me, improvement will indicate blame on Hughes, and likewise, downturn in form will highly vindicate Hughes. January should be enough time to seal it.

Getting rid of Stead is a disaster for Rovers. 

That has to rank as the most over the top statement on this subject by a mile.

323732[/snapback]

It's a disaster at the moment because we haven't signed any new strikers.

When the transfer window closes, I am 100% sure that won't be the case at all.

And let us remember it is only June 15... a long way to go yet.

I saw a brief interview with Stead on Sky and he didn't look very enthusiatic to be joining Sunderland - well in the extract I saw he wasn't gushing about joining like a lot of players usually are, or having a backwards swipe at their old club a la Barry Ferguson.

Sentimentality (I know, I know!) makes me feel gutted for him that he had such a poor season..... unsure.gif

Last season Stead had loads of chances to score more than the 2 goals he achieved during the season.

The only match he looked comfortable as a lone striker was Crystal Palace at home.

The team is not strong enough defensively or in midfield to change from 4-5-1.

Hughes has got £1.5million, maybe rising to £1.8.

According to the LET he now has a transfer fun of £3-£4 million pounds.

Maybe Stead will shake off his poor form.Maybe he will score a lot of goals. Maybe it was good business.

It is a shame that stead has left but we had no other choices left open for us, we keep him and have less money to buy better players but it would be nice to see how he does under a full season of hughes.

The only thing we could have done is moved him out on loan...but then we wouldnt of got the money!!

IMO Stead going is a retrograde step only in the context that he has the POTENTIAL to be a long term success. However, I trust the judgement of Mark Hughes to assemble a set of players that will build upon the solid base that he pulled together last season.

If Jon Stead blossoms into a goal machine then fair play to mad mick for taking him on, but somehow I can't see the lad as a real prospect at Prem level, again IMO...

A Rovers strike force of Coley (seasoned pro) McCarthy (Benni not mad mick) supported by the energy of Dickie and the trickery of MGP, well I can see us unlocking many more of the prem defences next season than we did last time out..

Anyway good luck Steadhino. Auf wiedersehen pest thumbs-up.gif

Sad to see him leave but, i reckon for 1.8m we have got a good deal

323830[/snapback]

Me too, he always seemed a nice bloke,which is quite rare in today's game. I hope he does well at Sunderland, but not well enough to score against us.

I'll give him a cheer if he plays for them at Ewood.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.