BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stead Completes Sunderland Move

Would like to have seen Stead given another year. The season before last he linked up well with Gallagher and between them scored some important goals. If they had been given the chance next season to develop this in cup games and maybe in the reserves I think they could have developed into an exciting front pairing for years to come and would have kept any first team strikers on their toes.

Unfortunately last seasons need to shore up a leaky defence and the emergence of Dickov as prefered lone striker limited the number of times these two played together.

Saying that I wish the lad well, hope that he doesn't come back to haunt us and pray for an outstanding replacement, whoever it might be.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have the right idea.

Valderrama could easily be our creative midfielder.

324044[/snapback]

Alongside Tugay? or perhaps Maradonna could be talked out of retirement. Get Besty on the wing if he doesn't get sent down and we could probably give Bolton a run for there money.

i think most of what i wanted to say has already been said in this thread but i still cant believe we have let him leave.

alot of people here seem to have very short memories, and i believe that this will eventually prove to be a big mistake.

its easy to look at his record this (or is it last?) season and think that he has been a flop but he really isnt suited to playing up front alone. he may be tall but he isnt a physical player, and certainly not a target man. for the sake of a few hundred thousand £s short-term profit, we have let go someone who could possibly have led our attack for years to come. what is he, 22? ffs? and the second season is usually the hardest.

all seems very short-sighted to me

• 3 weeks later...
In the wake of this, let's just hope that his sale brings McCarthy or another striker.

323353[/snapback]

Thought I'd drag this thread up again to give "Steadgate" some closure.

I was disappointed when Hughesey decided to sell Stead, but with the news of Bellamy's imminent arrival the whole affair has become completely understandable. Craig can plunder 10-15 goals a season without even trying, and gives us the firepower we desperately needed up front. For all the potential Stead has, I cannot fault Sparky for going with the proven Premiership goalscorer, and I think this move may have worked out best for both in the end.

Still, I can't get out of my head the idea that Stead and Bellamy could have partnered each other well, but I guess that's just being unrealistic!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i can't see hughes bringing back stead. Dont get me wrong i think Stead is a good player and always puts in 100% when ever he is on the pitch, but i just don't think he has it to do it week in week out in the prem unfortunatly.

He will always be welcomed back when ever he plays at Ewood Park by the fans though for the effort he put in during his stay at Rovers

stead trains with brfc ! ................so does djorkaeff and gallagher.

SSNEWS showed old footage during the ped interview.... lazy journalism!

jon just needs to rediscover his goal scoring touch in the lower leagues.

i wish the guy all the best. he did save us from the drop after all.

jon just needs to rediscover his goal scoring touch in the lower leagues.

391334[/snapback]

He may as well stay where he is then! smile.gif

I was Steadinho's biggest critic last year and got plenty of flack from the experts on here for saying that he was not Prem material. BUT it really gives me no pleasure seeing him unable to score week in week out. I may be wrong of course but he does seem a genuinely nice kid and he really deserves a touch of good luck sometime..... as long as it's not against us of course.

btw .....Anybody rem reports of his agent asking for more money for Stead at the end of his first season because he had done so well? withstupid.gif

There's no way on this earth that Stead will be signing for Rovers, Hughes doesn't rate him at all.

391374[/snapback]

Um, of course not. The point is Huddersfield are trying to sign him!

Just sad that Jon is such a poor finisher, he could be quite a neat player on his day. I remember thinking after that 1-0 victory against United when Steady scored, "Gally and him are going to set us up for years".

Hasn't come to pass unfortunately. Both infinitely more talented in a technical sense than the likes of Dickov and Kuqi, but sadly far less effective.

I would compare Stead to the likes of Peter Crouch...a very awkward type of player. Probably very good, and sometimes they do score, but I cannot think of a good system to place either of them in where by they will score goals week in and week out.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.