BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Many Have You Then?

When did you start watching Rovers ?  

358 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start watching Rovers ?

• Pre 1950
    • 1950 - 1954
    • 1955 - 1959
    • 1960 - 1964
    • 1965 - 1969
    • 1970 - 1974
    • 1975 - 1979
    • 1980 - 1984
    • 1985 - 1989
    • 1990 - 1994
    • 1995 - 1999
    • 2000 - 2004
    • Since Grobby were a twinkle in his daddy's eye

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember vaguley going to watch rovers v charlton at wemberlee a long long time ago, but my first real year was watching don mckays team sat on one of the metal posts in the nuttall st stand. Was it 1989/90 ish? I have a terrible memory. my dad used to make me wear a huge wax coat and make me bend my knees so would get in for free... not long after, Mr Walker changed our fortunes for ever! I think the cup final was about 1987...

30 years. My Dad was transferred to Blackburn with his job in 1975 and was put up in the same hotel as Jim Smith, who'd just been appointed manager at Ewood. Jim (great bloke, by the way) got us tickets to the first game of the season (4-1 v Oldham) and we were hooked. Narrow escape, though - Dad's boss in his prior job in the Lake District was a mad keen Claret and he'd taken us to a couple of games at't Turf before we moved to Blackburn. ph34r.gif Fortunately they lost both games and we thought they were too poor to follow seriously!

23 years and counting, now I feel old... sad.gif

Been a fan since '82 when I first witnessed the glory of Simon Garner as a 7 year old. Never had a season ticket but then I've never lived near enough since I've been old enough. Get to between 6-10 matches a season, mostly away.

HIghlights have to be the Play-off final against Leicester and the Newcastle game in '95 (best atmosphere I've ever known at a game).

I've been a fan since the late 80's, when my Dad dragged me on as a little boy! So it's around 16-17 yrs - not bad for someone in their mid-20s!

The first game a remember was a 2-2 draw with Sunderland, after coming from 2-0 down. We watched it from the Riverside...

Aah... them were the days! biggrin.gif

Edited by Gareth

Been going since I was 4 I think. Don't remember much apart from the play offs against Leicester and when I was mascot against Nottingham Forrest on Alan Shearer's home debut!

324333[/snapback]

Don't want to crush your childhood memories but wasn't Shearer's home debut against Arsenal?

My first game was in 1994 at home to Southampton when I was 10. Rovers won 3-2, and Super Atko scored the first goal I ever saw. Le Tissier got goal of the season, and Atkins goal was a goal of the month contender. Shearer had a penalty saved- but knocked in the re-bound. Remember the game very well.

35 years now.

Highlights have been: Tony Field's 2nd goal in the 5-0 win against Watford in '73, he came right over to me in the Blackburn End with arms aloft

The 5-2 win against Plymouth and the 4-1 win at Port Vale in 1975.

The 3-2 win at Turf Moor, Boxing Day '76

The 2-1 win at Bury in '80

Full Members' cup win in '87

The 2-1 defeat at Derby in '92 (play off semi final)

The 7-1 win over Norwich in '92

The 3-3 draw at Leeds in '93

The 2-0 win over Man U in '94

The 2-1 defeat at Liverpool in '95

The double over Burnley in 2000-2001

Coca-Cola cup in 2002

Dunn's goal against Villa in 2002

The FA cup win over Burnley in 2005

Been going since I was 4 I think. Don't remember much apart from the play offs against Leicester and when I was mascot against Nottingham Forrest on Alan Shearer's home debut!

324333[/snapback]

Don't want to crush your childhood memories but wasn't Shearer's home debut against Arsenal?

324337[/snapback]

Yep - we won 1-0. He scored with a goal which was deflcted over Seaman... Not the last time that happened! biggrin.gif

The Forest game was a few weeks later - the one when Mark Crossley threw Colin Hendry's header into his own net

God I am getting old - 26 years now.

First game was Bury at home in 1979 - the glory years under Howard Kendall smile.gif

Fond memories of Noel Brotherson beating his man, letting him catch up, beating him again etc etc.

Micky Speights free-kicks (have they ever been bettered ?)

Simon Garner going nap - only to have to share the headlines with Caldwell when he also scored 5 on the same day.

Having the privelage of seeing the best winger (Duff) and striker (Shearer) of recent years

Zenith Data Cup triumph

Play Off Final win (finally)

Premiership Title

Worthy Cup Win

Can't complain really

My first game was on the 30th of September 1961, Sheffield United at home, we played crap and lost 2-1 but it didn't matter I was hooked, after that I went reasonably often until I started playing myself a couple of years later. Broke my right leg twice in the late sixties and had to call time on a promising career at 18, I've never really got over that ," I couda been a contender, I couda bin somebody ".

I starting going down to Ewood again just as we fell into Division 3 as was and we had plenty of ups and downs until the Walker era. The last 15 years have brought more ups than downs and we live to fight another day.

High points have been - Seeing us win in a canter 3-0 at Old Trafford in 1963, Bryan Douglas mesmerised them that day. Beating Spurs 7-2 at home when they were the best team in Gt. Britain by far. Beating Burnley home and away 1961-62 to stop them winning the title. Winning the Premiership and winning the Worthington Cup down in Cardiff.

Low points have been- Losing several times to Rochdale ( my adopted home town, we left Blackburn when I was 5) the most galling of all in the league cup semi-final in the early sixties! Losing to Oxford the one year I thought we could really win the F.A. cup ( the final was between West Ham and Preston ! all the big sides had gone out early, we could have beat either of them easily.)

Best Player- the one and only Bryan Dougas- Imagine Damien Duff and David Dunn rolled into one at their absolute best and that was Bryan.

Lots of great memories ,that's why I find the football we're playing at present so disapointing. Having said that I've got confidence in Mark Hughes and I'm sure he'll get us footballing teams off the park before too long.

20 years for me and I'm 28, so that's not bad really smile.gif

324218[/snapback]

Same as me - snap!

Not too sure what DavidMailsTightPerm means about the Zenith Data Systems Cup though...we'll be saying we won the Milk Cup in 2002 next or something!

The 1987 Full Members Cup final remains one of my favourite memories as a Rovers fan. Up there with many subsequent days including the Worthington Cup victory mentioned above. Worst moments...losing to Chelsea 2-0 at home in the play offs first leg at Ewood in 1988 at the end of a season that included our longest-ever unbeaten run and which seemed destined for promotion. Even the relegation in '99 was easier to take than that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.