BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Many Have You Then?

When did you start watching Rovers ?  

358 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start watching Rovers ?

• Pre 1950
    • 1950 - 1954
    • 1955 - 1959
    • 1960 - 1964
    • 1965 - 1969
    • 1970 - 1974
    • 1975 - 1979
    • 1980 - 1984
    • 1985 - 1989
    • 1990 - 1994
    • 1995 - 1999
    • 2000 - 2004
    • Since Grobby were a twinkle in his daddy's eye

This poll is closed to new votes

First Home match: 94/95  (Rovers vs Cov)

nb. No idea which came first!  tongue.gif

324399[/snapback]

That was my first home match aswell. The first match i went to was the Charity Sheild 1994 against Man U. Half of our team was injured and Peter Thorne was on the bench.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Den, You are right in thinking I've been watching our team for a few years now, and enjoyed it, so I have got my new season ticket on order ready for this season. The first game I went to was against Everton in 1947, but I cannot remember much about the match, only that Ewood seemed a long way from Brownhill. The first game I remember in detail was against Middlesbrough, we were losing 7-0 when Jackie Oakes cut in from the right wing and scored for us, everyone seemed happy then, because we only lost 7-1, - we've always had an odd crowd!

Hello Den,  You are right in thinking I've been watching our team for a few years now, and enjoyed it, so I have got my new season ticket on order ready for this season. The first game I went to was against Everton in 1947, but I cannot remember much about the  match, only that Ewood seemed a long way from Brownhill. The first game I remember in detail was against Middlesbrough, we were losing 7-0 when Jackie Oakes cut in from the right wing and scored for us, everyone seemed happy then, because we only lost 7-1, - we've always had an odd crowd!

324484[/snapback]

Pure quality Billy. smile.gif

58 years a supporter, beat that guys. Were we losing 7-0 at Ewood?

My first match was the final game in 98 - 99 season when I dare to admit that we got tickets to see the scum match from a member of the stretcher bearer party - junior quack came along, thought the scum were exactly that and despite Rovers going down we were hooked!!

Den, Yes Middlesbourgh beat us 7-1 at Ewood, so you can imagine the pleasure a couple of seasons later, when we got our 9-0 revenge over them, maybe thats the reason they said they had no team and never turned up in the 1990s, we must have given them a lasting impression?

First game was Aston Villa in the cup at Ewood about a million years ago (way before the famous triumph where we beat them 2-1 or was it 1-0) in nineteen seventy something..

Not been able to get along as often as I would have liked in recent years, but have now two sons who love the blue and white despite their having a step father who is a Rovers Reserves (Newcastle) fanantic and living in the North East.

Will always and forever be a Rovers fan. Don't care what league we play in or who the opposition is, on a Saturday evening at 5pm if we haven't won, I can't feel anything other than low.. and if we have won and bumley have been hammered, then the world is a great place to be...

As I am 42 now, I expect to have another 50 or so seasons before I go to join Noel in the sky.

M

About 1956 but can only line up Ronnie Clayton playing with his brother Ken.

It was like the 1990s but in the second division...big crowds and loads of people walking from town or from the early Shadsworth in my case.

Then from 1966 is was the thin years when we lost all but a few of the next generation to the Big Clubs(so anyone ticking 67 to 74 are diehards) and then I agree with every one of Trawden Blues highlights.Can't stress enough the Field goal against Watford in front of 9500 and the 87 Full Members was a dream come true.

Little did we dream of what Uncle Jack would bring. So 50 years this year!

Doesn't it pass quick...here's to the next 30!

Started watching Blackburn Rovers in 1981 through no choice of my own. Never looked back really, it must have been the halves. So that's 24 years, seems I'm merely playing at it compared with some others on here. Every credit gentlemen!

First game was v Colchester 1974/75, though I don't remember anything about it.

First season ticket was 1980/81 and I've had one ever since.

Last home league game missed was v Portsmouth 1975/76 (lost 3-0) and I've only missed one home game of any kind since then v Ipswich in the FA Cup in January 1996.

My claim-to-infammy in the PABBY clan is that I've never missed a Rovers home game due to any family wedding! I'm definitely mellowing a bit though and have now booked holidays for both October this year and next year, so I'll doubtless miss at least a couple of games. It will hurt knowing that Rovers are playing at Ewood and I'm not there, but I no longer feel the same devotion to the cause as I once did and the family are at last going to come first.

My dad took me on in 1951-52

First team I remember was:-

Jack Patterson; Ron Suart, Bill Eckersley; Jacky Campbell, Bill Holt, Eric Bell; Les Graham (or Anderson), Eddie Crossan, Joe Harris, Paul Todd, Jacky Wharton.

First game I really remember was the opening game of the season at Ewood v Sheff Utd. We got stuffed 5-1.

So it must be about 53 seasons but only a season ticket since the arrival of King Kenny.

stated off by watching the reserves 63/64. first 1st team match stoke city at home, 1st away game, the 5-3 win at preston in 67. season ticket holder apart from 2 or 3 seasons inthe 70's since 66.

oops!

my mistake, i clicked on the 1979 option on the poll.

After looking up my first Rovers game in the essential history of Blackburn Rovers i found that i`d made a mistake unsure.gif

My first game was on Feb 27th 1980

3rd division...

Rovers 1 v 1 Exeter city ....Brotherston. att 10,601

Been supporting the Rovers since the back end of the 92-93 season when i was about 6 1/2 yrs old. So its just gone 12 yrs as Rovers fan, March-ish 1993-2005 and i'll be a Rover for the rest of my life. To be fair, ive been spoilt really, every season ive been a fan, there has been something to play for in the league, bar 1.

Tittle chases, 2: 93-94 and 94-95 (1 won, 1 lost)

Uefa Cup chases, 4: 92-93,95-96,97-98 and 02-03 (2 lost, 2 won)

Relegation battles, 5: 96-97, 98-99, 01-02, 03-04 and 04-05 (1 lost, 4 won)

Promotion battles, 1: 00-01 (1 won)

Just 1 mid-table boring season, 99-00 in div 1 thumbs-up.gif

First Rovers game was York City at Ewood.

4-0 win!

That got me hooked, I think it was 1973.

At the time I had a lot of pressure to support Leeds who were doing well at the time. I was living in Morecambe and everyone supported the successful clubs of the day, Liverpool etc.

Also I had been taken to watch Morecambe by a relative and had the chance of a season ticket.

I chose The Rovers and through thick and thin I have never regretted it.

From Christmas 1979 I have probably missed six games at Ewood Park. This is a personal stat which I have always been proud of. Also I have been a season ticket holder since 1982.

November 1st 1980....Swansea city.

Sat freezing in the rickety old Riverside stand, aged 8, watching a bore draw.My abiding memory was looking down towards the Blackburn End terrace with the fans all huddled towards the centre avoiding the rain and thinking how empty it looked!

Although I wasn't a regular in those days, my first Rovers game was on 1 March 1975, my 8th birthday, a 2-0 win against Swindon Town. I still have the ticket, a family ticket, which cost £3.50. Sat in the top deck of the Riverside and can remember being amazed at the size of the ground because previously I had only been to Spotland, in Rochdale.

I think I really started going properly a couple of years later, around '77, when Jim Smith was manager.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.