BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fixtures Discussion

we should really be looking to win games like West Ham.

I agree, but we've got an abysmal record at Upton Park over the last ten years. We haven't won away there in our last eight matches against them.

1994/95 West Ham 2 Rovers 0 (A hugely disappointing result coming a week before VE Day. This was our third last game of the season and a number of Rovers fans began to fear that we'd blown it.)

1995/96 West Ham 1 Rovers 1 (Another poor performance, with Shearer scoring a late equaliser we barely deserved.)

1996/97 West Ham 2 Rovers 1

1997/98 Premiership: West Ham 2 Rovers 1

1997/98 FA Cup: West Ham 2 Rovers 2 (Rovers lost the replay on penalties.)

1998/99 West Ham 2 Rovers 0 (Another woeful performance in our relegation season - with Ian Pearce scoring one of the goals against his old club.)

1999/2000 and 2000/01 - Rovers in 1st Division

2001/02 West Ham 2 Rovers 0 (Earlier in the season we had beaten them 7-1 at Ewood.)

2002/03 West Ham 2 Rovers 1 (The Hammers waited until late January before they managed to win a home match. Typically it was against us.)

2003/04 and 2004/05 West Ham in 1st Division

The current capacity of Upton Park is just over 35,000. Plans to replace the East Stand and increase the capacity to 42,000 were put on hold after the Hammers were relegated two seasons ago. These plans might be revived if West Ham can avoid relegation next term.

Two famous Hammers 'Old Boys' have been knighted in recent years - Sir Geoff Hurst and Sir Trevor Brooking. Many feel that Bobby Moore, as our only World Cup winning captain, should have been knighted before his sad death, or certainly at least given a more prominent role within the game as a footballing ambassador.

Harry Redknapp once told the story of how shortly before Bobby was diagnosed with cancer, he saw a sad looking Moore sitting in the stands in the pouring rain at Grimsby, eating fish and chips out of a paper bag, and co-commentating on a goalless draw in a League Cup match for a local radio station who paid him about a hundred quid.

A far cry from former Hammers defender Rio Ferdinand, who was once compared to Bobby Moore, and is currently demanding a £120,000 a week contract at United. The greedy barsteward.

I'm sure if England win the World Cup in the future, the captain of the team won't have to travel up to Grimsby on a wet midweek night to earn himself a few quid when he retires.

West Ham have (belatedly) tried to recognise the contribution that Moore made to the game. The South Stand at Upton Park has been renamed the Bobby Moore Stand. There's also a nice statue, which was unveiled a couple of years ago at the nearby 'Boleyn Road' junction - depicting Bobby being held aloft by his England team-mates, raising the '66 World Cup.

user posted image

West Ham currently hold the World Cup winners medals of Bobby Moore, Sir Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters in their museum for visitors to see.

Unlike ourselves, the Hammers have never won the Championship in the top division. Their highest finish is 3rd in 1985/86 under John Lyall. For a brief while, it looked as if they might win the League that season. Frank McAvennie and Tony Cottee were scoring goals for fun. (They beat Newcastle 8-1 that year.)

In April though, they suffered from fixture congestion and faltered in the closing stages, finishing behind Everton and League winners Liverpool.

All the major honours that West Ham have won in their history have come in the last 41 years - the FA Cup in 1964, 1975 and 1980 and the European Cup Winners Cup in 1965.

I was disappointed with the confrontational and arrogant attitude that Alan Pardew displayed in a Sky interview after winning the play-off final at Cardiff. I hope that after losing to Rovers on the opening day, the Hammers are relegated.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been to West Ham once. 1963/64ish, we drew 3-3 in the F.A.cup. John Byrom hat trick, against the great Bobby Moore on his own middin'. Absolutely fantastic day.

Talk about away crowds, I spent the entire second half with my arm over my mates shoulder. Couldn't get it down due to the packed away end.

BTW, West Ham fans were right b******* in those days. Loads of aggro from them attacking rovers fans with baseball bats and anything they could get their hands on, pre match.

Beat 'em 4-1 in the replay - McEvoy hat trick, [against the great Bobby Moore]!

A pretty decent start imo, although it would have been nice to start the season at home to west ham, instead of having to travel all the way to East London.

The game at Wigan on new yrs eve should be brilliant fun and we could take 5,000+ to that game. Also getting sunderland at home on the 28th is good as they will bring a huge following down from the North East. City at home on the last day should also be a sell out, with hopefully something positive to play 4, for Rovers!!

10,000 Rovers at Wigan????!!!!???

326974[/snapback]

There have been a number of occasions when around 10,000 Rovers have travelled when the home gates were averaging 10,000 or less.

Bolton, Bury, Burnley, Preston and Carlisle immediately spring to mind in the 70s and 80s. In fact, much more recently, Wigan's record gate before last season of 17,000 was set by Rovers and I bet there weren't far short of 10,000 Rovers that day.

Springfield Park mk 2 would accomodate the numbers and I believe their prices are pretty cheap (comparatively)

I like West Ham,a London club who have remained close to their working class roots on and off the pitch.Good loyal support who create a good atmosphere at the claustrophobic Boleyn ground......may well make my first appearance at an away game for quite some time! unsure.gif

We took our maximum allocation of 5,500 to Wigan for the league cup game Philipl and I'm sure it will be the same this coming season.

I like West Ham,a London club who have remained close to their working class roots on and off the pitch.Good loyal support who create a good atmosphere at the claustrophobic Boleyn ground......may well make my first appearance at an away game for quite some time! unsure.gif

We took our maximum allocation of 5,500 to Wigan for the league cup game Philipl and I'm sure it will be the same this coming season.

327025[/snapback]

They have only just changed it to a maximun allocation of 5,500 to Wigan, when we went in the league cup, we took towards 7,000, maybe more didnt we?

West ham away for the opening fixture, why do we always get newly promoted teams first game in ?

Their confidence will be sky high coming off a good run at the end of last season, no injuries ,no suspensions -the best time to play teams like this is mid season when they've had a few good bangings and confidence is on the slide, when injuries and suspensions have eroded a squad thats slim in numbers.

Given the fact we never seem to win at West Ham even with good teams I'll take a draw now !!!!

West ham away for the opening fixture, why do we always get newly promoted teams first game in ?

Their confidence will be sky high coming off a good run at the end of last season, no injuries ,no suspensions -the best time to play teams like this is mid season when they've had a few good bangings and confidence is on the slide,

327253[/snapback]

Yeah remember when we played wolves, god that was awful, only the 5goals, they were so up for it! and then we played them mid season and panned them 2-2!

and then theres WBA who we drew with both times!

I don't think it really makes a difference when you play them, it's our team that matters and we have to make it stronger! thumbs-up.gif

I don't think it really makes a difference when you play them, it's our team that matters and we have to make it stronger!  thumbs-up.gif

327255[/snapback]

It doesn't.

In a season, you play each team twice.

You have to play everyone at some stage, let's get on with it.

I assume as this isn't a full set of fixtures then i'm ok posting. Anyway apparently this is the early sky fixtures. Might be rubbish but it's an awful lot of trouble to go to if made up.

For what it's worth:-

AUGUST Sunday 14 August 2pm Wigan Ath v Chelsea 4pm Everton v Man Utd

Sunday 21 August 2pm Liverpool v Sunderland 4pm Chelsea v Arsenal

Tuesday 23 August 8pm Bolton v Newcastle Utd Wednesday 24 August 8pm Blackburn v Tottenham

Sunday 28 August 4pm Newcastle v Man Utd Monday 29 August 8pm West Brom v Birmingham City

SEPTEMBER Sunday 11 September 2pm Bolton v Blackburn 4pm Man Utd v Man City

Sunday 18 September 1pm Liverpool v Man Utd 4pm Charlton Ath v Chelsea Monday 19 September 8pm Fulham v West Ham

Sunday 25 September 4pm Tottenham v Fulham Monday 26 September 8pm Middlesbrough v Sunderland

OCTOBER Sunday 2 October 2pm Portsmouth v Newcastle 4pm Liverpool v Chelsea

Sunday 16 October 1pm Birmingham v Aston Villa 4pm Sunderland v Man Utd

Sunday 23 October 4pm Newcastle v Sunderland Monday 24 October 8pm Blackburn v Birmingham

Saturday 29 October 12pm Tottenham v Arsenal Sunday 30 October 4pm Man City v Aston Villa Monday 31 October 8pm Charlton v Bolton

NOVEMBER Sunday 6 November 2pm Everton v Middlesbrough 4pm Man Utd v Chelsea

Sunday 20 November 4pm Tottenham v West Ham Monday 21 November 8pm West Brom v Everton

Sunday 27 November 4pm Portsmouth v Chelsea Monday 28 November 8pm Sunderland v Birmingham

DECEMBER Sunday 4 December 2pm West Brom v Fulham 4pm Chelsea v Middlesbrough Monday 5 December 8pm Newcastle v Aston Villa

Sunday 11 December 2pm Blackburn v West Ham 4pm Newcastle v Arsenal

Sunday 18 December 2pm Aston Villa v Man Utd 4pm Arsenal v Chelsea Monday 19 December 8pm West Ham v Newcastle

Monday 26 December 4pm Chelsea v Fulham 6.30 Liverpool v Newcastle

Wednesday 28 December 4pm Birmingham v Man Utd 8pm Everton v Liverpool

Saturday 31 December 12pm Charlton v West Ham 5pm Aston Villa v Arsenal

I assume as this isn't a full set of fixtures then i'm ok posting.  Anyway apparently this is the early sky fixtures.  Might be rubbish but it's an awful lot of trouble to go to if made up.

For what it's worth:-

AUGUST Sunday 14 August 2pm Wigan Ath v Chelsea 4pm Everton v Man Utd

Sunday 21 August 2pm Liverpool v Sunderland 4pm Chelsea v Arsenal

Tuesday 23 August 8pm Bolton v Newcastle Utd Wednesday 24 August 8pm Blackburn v Tottenham

Sunday 28 August 4pm Newcastle v Man Utd Monday 29 August 8pm West Brom v Birmingham City

SEPTEMBER Sunday 11 September 2pm Bolton v Blackburn 4pm Man Utd v Man City

Sunday 18 September 1pm Liverpool v Man Utd 4pm Charlton Ath v Chelsea Monday 19 September 8pm Fulham v West Ham

Sunday 25 September 4pm Tottenham v Fulham Monday 26 September 8pm Middlesbrough v Sunderland

OCTOBER Sunday 2 October 2pm Portsmouth v Newcastle 4pm Liverpool v Chelsea

Sunday 16 October 1pm Birmingham v Aston Villa 4pm Sunderland v Man Utd

Sunday 23 October 4pm Newcastle v Sunderland Monday 24 October 8pm Blackburn v Birmingham

Saturday 29 October 12pm Tottenham v Arsenal Sunday 30 October 4pm Man City v Aston Villa Monday 31 October 8pm Charlton v Bolton

NOVEMBER Sunday 6 November 2pm Everton v Middlesbrough 4pm Man Utd v Chelsea

Sunday 20 November 4pm Tottenham v West Ham Monday 21 November 8pm West Brom v Everton

Sunday 27 November 4pm Portsmouth v Chelsea Monday 28 November 8pm Sunderland v Birmingham

DECEMBER Sunday 4 December 2pm West Brom v Fulham 4pm Chelsea v Middlesbrough Monday 5 December 8pm Newcastle v Aston Villa

Sunday 11 December 2pm Blackburn v West Ham 4pm Newcastle v Arsenal

Sunday 18 December 2pm Aston Villa v Man Utd 4pm Arsenal v Chelsea Monday 19 December 8pm West Ham v Newcastle

Monday 26 December 4pm Chelsea v Fulham 6.30 Liverpool v Newcastle

Wednesday 28 December 4pm Birmingham v Man Utd 8pm Everton v Liverpool

Saturday 31 December 12pm Charlton v West Ham 5pm Aston Villa v Arsenal

327442[/snapback]

where did you get this info then? sky sports?

I've only been to West Ham once. 1963/64ish, we drew 3-3 in the F.A.cup. John Byrom hat trick, against the great Bobby Moore on his own middin'. Absolutely fantastic day.

Talk about away crowds, I spent the entire second half with my arm over my mates shoulder. Couldn't get it down due to the packed away end.

BTW, West Ham fans were right b******* in those days. Loads of aggro from them attacking rovers fans with baseball bats and anything they could get their hands on, pre match.

Beat 'em 4-1 in the replay - McEvoy hat trick, [against the great Bobby Moore]!

326665[/snapback]

Are you sure that was 1963-4 ?

Unless my memory is failing I thought Rovers beat West Ham 4-1 in a cup replay in 1965-66, the season we were relegated from the First Division.

Unless my memory is failing I thought Rovers beat West Ham 4-1 in a cup replay in 1965-66, the season we were relegated from the First Division.

327449[/snapback]

No, I'm not sure Jim. You could well be right.

327449[/snapback]

Here you go.(Thanks to dear old soccerbase, the anorak dream site)

English FA Cup - Round 4

West Ham 3 (0) - 3 (0) Blackburn

At Upton Park on 12-02-1966

English FA Cup - Round 4replay

Blackburn 4 (0) - 1 (0) West Ham

At Ewood Park on 16-02-1966

So, it was the 1965/1966 season.By the way,while digging up when this fixture occurred I ran across this result..does anyone remember any details?

We thrashed wham away 8 -2!!

English Division 1 (old)

West Ham 2 (0) - 8 (0) Blackburn

on 26-12-1963

Florida Rover

So, it was the 1965/1966 season.By the way,while digging up when this fixture occurred I ran across this result..does anyone remember any details?

We thrashed wham away 8 -2!!

327549[/snapback]

Certainly do remember it squire.

Christmas 1963 is famous in football folklore for two results:

West Ham 2 Blackburn Rovers 8

..........and two days later

Blackburn Rovers 1 West Ham United 3

Only our dear club could manage such a feat.

Those were the days when clubs played each other home and away over the Christmas period. Bryan Douglas tore West Ham apart in the first game and a smarting West Ham got their revenge at Ewood.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.