BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boardroom Restructure At Ewood

I think that is one of the most important honest quotes you will see from any Chairman, let's face it we dont want a Ridsdale type character in with short term plans for success leading to an inevitable collapse of the club once the money has run out.

We have to be realistic we have a small fan base shrinking every year. if all these people who want to see us signing top players actually came to watch a macth or bought a season ticket then we would obviously have more funds available.

Good luck Mr williams.

327601[/snapback]

When I lived in Darwen I had a s/t every year including the third division years. I would have one now if I could afford the rail fare from Fife every home match!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to other comments made look again at JW's statement where he mentions a possible look-out for other benefactors.If this had been the policy 10 years ago Dave Whelan might have been at least co-opted to the Board.Instead Wigan are now rivals for part of our natural territory.

The biggest plus about these changes is David Brown's closer involvement as Trust representative. This really should have happened a long time ago and can only help matters assuming he likes what he sees.

Also good news if Tom Finn has a more influential role. Always comes across very well in my experience.

A crucial part of John Williams new role will presumably now be to attract new sources of investment into the club. All I can say is let's hope he has more joy with this than with filling the ground. Judged by any objective criteria his performance over the last couple of seasons has been singularly unimpressive. We've failed to hold onto our best players, and attendances and performances on the pitch have declined dramatically. He's created a negative amosphere around Ewood in the past by continually banging on about survival and the message will have to be a lot more positive in future before any other suitably interested parties are likely to come aboard.

Judged by any objective criteria his performance over the last couple of seasons has been singularly unimpressive.

327783[/snapback]

Rev I dont think thats a fair statement to make, surely without knowing the ins and outs of his job and the targets set by the trustees we dont know what criteria he has been given.

All I can say is let's hope he has more joy with this than with filling the ground.

The main person to blame for poor attendances is Souness and the shower of poo he left us with.

I fail to see how Williams can be held responsible for poor attendances. In fact the initiatives that he and the club have tried in an attempt to attract people are to be applauded.

To add to other comments made look again at JW's statement where he mentions a possible look-out for other benefactors.If this had been the policy 10 years ago Dave Whelan might have been at least co-opted to the Board.Instead Wigan are now rivals for part of our natural territory.

327734[/snapback]

Are there any actual sources suggesting Whelan would ever have been prepared to invest in Rovers? It's always seemed a bit of an urban myth to me. Why would Whelan be accapting of a no-mark backstage role when his history in business seems to revolve around him being the driving source? I'm interested to know if there was ever that chance or whether this is just wistful/wishful thinking.

Is the appointment of Mr Brown a forerunner to the club being sold on ?

I think there is a hint in JW's statement that movement is nigh.

So sorry to see Mr Root move backwards, a reet decent and fine gentleman and a TRUE Rovers fan tinykit.gif

Really good news.  tinykit.gif

Rovers really showing a new seasonal-sense of positivity.

I do agree with most on here that having David Brown is a signifcant appointment for Rover's in regards to the trustees, but could it be possible now with this appointment, that deceisions will be based on more 'good business', rather than whats good for the club? unsure.gif

Anyway, heres to more good news to follow... thumbs-up.gif

327690[/snapback]

I was wondering also if it is more a case of the Trustees wanting to be more in tune to the daily operations of the club, where the money comes from and more importantly where it goes. Hate to be called names again but it makes me wonder if the trustees are giving it a good looking over with a view to getting out now that a suitable amount of time has elapsed since Jack's passing.

Hopefully it will be all good but I just have an uneasy feeling about it.

Over the moon for Mr Williams, I do hold him in high regard good luck to him.

Edited by USABlue

The biggest plus about these changes is David Brown's closer involvement as Trust representative. This really should have happened a long time ago and can only help matters assuming he likes what he sees.

Also good news if Tom Finn has a more influential role. Always comes across very  well in my experience.

A crucial part of John Williams new role will presumably now be to attract new sources of investment into the club. All I can say is let's hope he has more joy with this than with filling the ground. Judged by any objective criteria his performance over the last couple of seasons has been singularly unimpressive. We've failed to hold onto our best players, and attendances and performances on the pitch have declined dramatically. He's created a negative amosphere around Ewood in the past by continually banging on about survival and the message will have to be a lot more positive in future before any other suitably interested parties are likely to come aboard.

327783[/snapback]

Don't know Tom Finn but some of my Rovers mates back home don't like him much, singling him out for some of the away ticket fiascos.

I don't know that, in all fairness, you can point the finger at Williams for failing to hold on to our players, I was have thought Souness was the biggest part of that.

I also don't recall too many instances about him "banging" on about survival either, again Mr Souness did a lot of that. As for creating a negative atmospere, well Rev you know how you used to come across in the LET. 98% Negativity dropped in the laps of the local townsfolk week in and week out does little to help put bums in seats either does it. Perhaps the whispers of Mr Williams influence in removing said negative reporter have a little to do with your views, perhaps not.

I feel Williams could get more involved in getting the marketing side of the club up to scratch, we really have to fight for every penny now with both Bolton and Wigan in the Prem. Hopefully he can help support the manager in putting out the best quality product in the hopes that people will come. However Rev, I think you know as well as any of us souls that have followed Rovers for years, once the public of Blackburn is turned off it is a real buggar to get them back, a real buggar.

As for creating a negative atmospere, well Rev you know how you used to come across in the LET.  98% Negativity dropped in the laps of the local townsfolk week in and week out does little to help put bums in seats either does it. 

327847[/snapback]

In the light of how things eventually panned out under Souness I think "insightful" and "prophetic" are more accurate descriptives than "negative" USA.

dry.gifsmile.gif

All I can say is let's hope he has more joy with this than with filling the ground. Judged by any objective criteria his performance over the last couple of seasons has been singularly unimpressive. We've failed to hold onto our best players, and attendances and performances on the pitch have declined dramatically. He's created a negative amosphere around Ewood in the past by continually banging on about survival and the message will have to be a lot more positive in future before any other suitably interested parties are likely to come aboard.

327783[/snapback]

Very difficult to agree with that view Rev. Graeme Souness created the negative atmosphere at Ewood in three ways:

1. Banging on about survival being the target

2. Bully boy tactics

3. Awful purchases

I've said it before, the players and manager create the atmosphere and while we continue to employ footballers who clearly could not give a sh!t about the club the place will be surrounded by a negative atmosphere. Where JW could be held accountable is in not recognising this and failing to do anythng about it if he has.

The big problem is the modern day footballer - lazy, arrogant, under-motivated, over-paid, etc. That's what creates the negative atmosphere around the club. The sooner we clear out the likes of Neil, Emerton, Amo, Savage etc the better.

It is interesting that Robert Coar must have been one of the longest serving Chairmen in the history of the Rovers. Many will say he had an easy ride remaining relatively faceless whilst Jack bought into Rovers and built us up but it is very clear that Bob did the job well and has gained great respect throughout the football world.

Lesser men would have caused friction over the lack of ego-massages for themselves but Bob has been a very steady and reliable Chairman of Blackburn Rovers through one of the most exciting periods in the club's history.

The big problem is the modern day footballer - lazy, arrogant, under-motivated, over-paid, etc. That's what creates the negative atmosphere around the club. The sooner we clear out the likes of Neil, Emerton, Amo, Savage etc the better.

Paul, that's a good point about modern day footballers, but just who would you replace them with, a workaholic, self depricating, motivated, underpaid etc. one?

If we did that, then we'd certainly have park football at (Insert your favorite sponsor) Park.

The attitude of the modern day footballer comes with the territory, unfortunately.

Philipl, If I remember correctly, there was a time around 96/07/98 when Coar was being pilloried left right and centre. Many were calling for him to be shown the door.

There was a great debate on earlier versions of this board about Coar's suitability for the job.

In the light of how things eventually panned out under Souness I think "insightful" and "prophetic" are more accurate descriptives than "negative" USA.

dry.gif  smile.gif

327888[/snapback]

Hes not the messiah just a very naughty boy wink.gif

but the year we finished 6th we still lost st holders

Paul, that's a good point about modern day footballers, but just who would you replace them with, a workaholic, self depricating, motivated, underpaid etc. one?

If we did that, then we'd certainly have park football at (Insert your favorite sponsor) Park.

The attitude of the modern day footballer comes with the territory, unfortunately.

327925[/snapback]

Certainly true Dave but not in every case. We have Nelsen who seems to appreciate exactly how fortunate he is to be at Ewood and then the likes of Emerton, Neil and Robbie "I moved here to be close to me Mum" Savage who appreciate nothing and should leave tomorrow. In the unlikely event of becoming Chairman I would, in all seriousness, introduce the following:

Player transfer would be decided on:

1.Talent

2. Personal Terms

3. An interview to determine the player's attitude

Fail 3 and no matter who you are, you don't get in

Salaries would be:

1. Basic rate

2. Appearance related - in the squad, on the bench, in the side etc

3. Performance related - goals scored, clean sheets, number of yellow cards etc

At that start of each season I'd present the players with the bonus fund, maybe even put a big pile of money on the dressing room floor and tell them - that's yours if YOU achieve x, y or z.

I'm just so tired of watching players who don't care and waste their talent. Look at Emerton can't shoot, can't/won't beat a defender, can't cross, can't take a corner and is described as a superb athlete. He's wasting his ability, presuming he has some? Don't they practice in training? They do nothing all week, surely a player can improve a weakness in his game by taking 200 corners a day or whatever?

My only motivation for renewing the STs was to avoid cutting off my nose to spite my face. This is the problem for JW.

Paul, Nelsen is, to put it crude terms, a "Virgin", give him a couple of years (maybe less) and he'll meet the criteria of a "modern footballer" I'll bet.

Got to agree with you on all the other points though.

Performance related has got to be the way, but as long as you have the "big 4" then it's pay what you you can afford.

One thing that we could do is send this thread to JW.

I don't want to drag this horribly off-topic, but I've disagreed with Paul before on this matter and I have to do so again.

I can agree with Emerton and people like Yorke. But the majority of players out there go out and give it their all. Nobody is worth the amount of money they get every week but that shouldn't cloud the issue that they try their best. Almost every high-level footballer in the world is overpaid.

I see no difference between Nelsen and Neill. I don't think one tries harder than the other. The only difference is that one is the darling of the Blackburn End and the other has had to put up with some stick. It's very easy to avoid criticising the good ones.

den has made a good point about David Brown. He came out of retirement to chair Flybe and turn it around which he did extraordinarilly successfully. He stepped down as Chairman in March and new Chairman John french has a remit to sell Flybe as it is now so large it represents a disproportionate amount of the Walker Trust's assets.

There is an interesting line in the uncopyable official site: JW will be responsible for strategic direction including possible new investment for the club. TF will be responsible for day-to-day management.

327644[/snapback]

Some excellent debate here, with some well informed opinions, that raise some questions.

1. If Flybe is deemed as being 'to big' for the trust fund to support is it possible that Rovers could be seen this way by the trustees. We are not a successful expanding buisness, but our need for ever greater transfer fees could be viewed this way.

2. If Flybe is sold off, does that mean Rovers will get a share of a bigger pot, as there is one less snout in the trough.

3. With the appointment David Brown, is it conceivable that a long term plan is being drawn up to sell off Rovers. Thus severing ties with the trustees and ultimately the Walkers.

4. Leaving all conspiracy theories aside, is this the best possible way of restructuring the board to ensure success for Rovers.

Some excellent debate here, with some well informed opinions, that raise some questions.

1. If Flybe is deemed as being 'to big' for the trust fund to support is it possible that Rovers could be seen this way by the trustees.  We are not a successful expanding buisness, but our need for ever greater transfer fees could be viewed this way.

2. If Flybe is sold off, does that mean Rovers will get a share of a bigger pot, as there is one less snout in the trough.

3. With the appointment David Brown, is it conceivable that a long term plan is being drawn up to sell off Rovers. Thus severing ties with the trustees and ultimately the Walkers.

4. Leaving all conspiracy theories aside, is this the best possible way of restructuring the board to ensure success for Rovers.

328045[/snapback]

dry.gif  smile.gif

327888[/snapback]

Very good Rev, very good indeed. I can't deny you that one.

Hes not the messiah just a very naughty boy wink.gif

but the year we finished 6th we still lost st holders

327936[/snapback]

Flops, the year we finished 6th was just not good enough for some. Did the losses in ST holders have a connection to the Dunn and Duff sales.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.