BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] One F In Shefki - Tractor Boys Verdicts

I agree totally, i dont understand the logic in raising transfer funds if your not going to spend it.

Besides what good is transfer money in January if we have already been knocked out of Europe...?

One thing i would ask is, if we have sold all these players and brought next to nobody in with our transfer funds (excluding signings like Roberts and Benni as this is Bellamy's transfer funds), how much do we have left to spend in January, thats if the Rovers management and Board can be bothered to sign anyone after we have most probably been knocked out of Europe and will most probably have been struggling in the league...

Transfer money in January helps you get that extra push rise up the league table - look at Portsmouth last year, among others. Personally, I don't really care how we do in Europe - a january signing would be helping us qualify for Europe for the 2007-2008 season. If we're struggling in the league, wouldn't you rather us sign someone to help take us up than nobody at all?

There weren't midfielders out there who could definitely step in and help us. Petrov was going back to O'Neill, and for £8m. Malbranque stayed in London with Spurs and Fulham got Routledge on loan. We couldn't offer that. What other creative midfielders were on the market? Haestad is unproven. Plenty of wingers went, but we're doing okay in that department.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transfer money in January helps you get that extra push rise up the league table - look at Portsmouth last year, among others. Personally, I don't really care how we do in Europe - a january signing would be helping us qualify for Europe for the 2007-2008 season. If we're struggling in the league, wouldn't you rather us sign someone to help take us up than nobody at all?

There weren't midfielders out there who could definitely step in and help us. Petrov was going back to O'Neill, and for £8m. Malbranque stayed in London with Spurs and Fulham got Routledge on loan. We couldn't offer that. What other creative midfielders were on the market? Haestad is unproven. Plenty of wingers went, but we're doing okay in that department.

I take if you've not been down to Ewood recently then. ;)

Absolutely shocked by this transfer, an unbelievable deal - it's unlikely our board held out at this valuation for such a player, so Crystal Palace must take all the credit :D

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Sep 1 2006, 14:30 ) 441706[/snapback]

Did we sell him for £2.5 Million, or was it a £2.5 million deal where Rovers recieve about 750k and Kuqi about 600K Per year including bonuses.

I get the feeling that will turn out to be the case.

Ste, the official Palace website states that:

"a fee of £2.5 million will be paid to the Lancashire Club"

Sounds like it's a straight forward deal without the usual performance related perks. otherwise I'm sure it would have been worded differently

We needed to strengthen midfield. Had we sold Kuqi even a few hours earlier we may have been able to do something. To sell him for such an inflated price with 1 minute of the window left is hugely frustrating - moreso than if we'd let him go for free!

Bingo.

Maybe Sparky's thinking is that this will give him a couple of months to assess Bentley, Gally, and Peter in wing roles? Hopefully one of them steps up, or else we could be in trouble.

We MUST use the Kuqi money for a creative midfielder in January.

Ste, the official Palace website states that:

"a fee of £2.5 million will be paid to the Lancashire Club"

Sounds like it's a straight forward deal without the usual performance related perks. otherwise I'm sure it would have been worded differently

Nice, i'd just seen the words 2.5 million deal around thats all. You just cant turn down that sort of offer.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Aug 31 2006, 15:24 ) 441728[/snapback]

Nice, i'd just seen the words 2.5 million deal around thats all. You just cant turn down that sort of offer.

I suspect the 'deal' is probably more in line though Steb - thats what the BBC are reporting rather than fee

Post on their rivals site says 1m up front with the rest on performance/appearance fees etc

Anyone care to bet that if we draw Palace in the cup or similar he will get a far better reception than Craig Bellamy...... and super mag Damien Duff too for that matter.

Judging by the remarks on here I'd say that it is a cast iron certainty. :tu:

btw Unleaded if you had anything to do with this then I can only applaud your abilities, and I will apologise profusely for calling you a mard arse. :rover:

That's a sweet bit of business on our part. We paid something like £500,000 for him and have just sold him for £2.5 million. You can't argue with that. Good luck to him, I never liked him as a player, mainly because I didn't think he waas good enough for the Premiership. But you could never question his commitment and he scored some important goals for us. I think that the Championship is his level and he'll do well for Palace. He's one of those players, who scores you the goals to get your team out of the division and into the Premiership, but then is replaced by a better option, much like Darren Huckerby.

I will mis him. He was a great character. Part of football is the memories not just the results. The swan dive was fantastic. He always worked hard. I thought that he was a real nuisance to lot of opposing defences ( apart from the best.) He was good with his head. Some of the unintentional ricochets off the shins were frustratingly memorable in their way. I think he did well. He did score goals which some previous strikers failed to do. I am not surprised he is in demand in the championship. Good luck to him and I :) will keep an eye out for how he does in the future

That's a sweet bit of business on our part. We paid something like £500,000 for him and have just sold him for £2.5 million.

We got him for free actually. Which makes the deal all the more impressive. I really can't get my head around it. Did Hughes not want to left Shefki go, but Taylor reeeeally wanted him and offered us something as daft as £2.5m to prise him away? He doesn't really fit the mould of a player to intentionally pay over the odds for.

I advised my father that Shefti had gone to Crystal Palace and he was slightly disappointed. He then asked how much and when I replied about £2.5m he said "how much???? Are you sure???"

He wasn't disappointed then. :)

Sorry, I just cant stop laughing.....

£2.5 MILLION???????????????????

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I'm absolutely mesmerised by your post - but then again it could be your signature!

Did Hughes not want to left Shefki go, but Taylor reeeeally wanted him and offered us something as daft as £2.5m to prise him away?

Apparently the deal went through at 5 to midnight which shows good brinksmanship from whoever was doing our negotiating . Palace must have "shown weakness" as the poker expression goes .... :)

Good honest player who gave 100% for Rovers. Not the most talented, but made the most of what he has and I'm sure he will be a success at Palace - Good Luck to him!

Made a valuable contribution on the pitch last season, and now a valuable contribution to the finances this season.

I think Hughes would have been happy to keep him and the price Palace have had to pay shows or seems to indicate that the club is good at playing it tough. £2.5m was just too much to turn down for a player who was not at best 4th choice striker.

It wonder who was the last striker Peter Taylor signed for a huge transfer fee?

http://www.laughfc.co.uk/stories/story.php?id=484

Edited by abc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.