BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premiership Final Table Prediction

I honestly don't see United winning it this year. Chelsea and Arsenal are the two best teams in the league, although Arsenal's failure to strengthen even before Vieira left will be their downfall.

1. Chelsea

2. Arsenal

3. Liverpool

4. Manchester United

5. Middlesbrough

6. Spurs

7. Blackburn

8. Aston Villa

9. Birmingham

10. Everton

11. Newcastle

12. Charlton

13. Fulham

14. Manchester City

15. Bolton

16. West Ham

17. Portsmouth

18. Sunderland

19. West Brom

20. Wigan

Edited by Rovermatt

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Chelsea

2. Arsenal

3. Liverpool

4. Man Utd

5. Everton (if they can make their signings perform though, might also see a backlash and 8th or 9th place IMO)

6. Spurs

7. Rovers

8. Bolton

9. Newcastle

10. Aston Villa

11. Middlesbrough

12. Manchester City

13. Portsmouth

14. Birmingham ( biggrin.gif )

15. Fulham

16. West Ham

17. Charlton

18. West Brom

19. Sunderland

20. Wigan

... this would mean that our "relegating team in first match" record will break though, so I guess really West Ham should be down there.

So hard to guess with the transfer window still open, and of course the January window remaining.

16. West Ham

17. Charlton

18. West Brom

19. Sunderland

20. Wigan

... this would mean that our "relegating team in first match" record will break though, so I guess really West Ham should be down there.

337016[/snapback]

It broke last season - we played West Brom first - so it's no big thing, as long as they're involved in a relegation fight... smile.gif

Now that we're a week away, I think it's safe to make some predictions

1 Chelsea

2 Arsenal

3 Ajax West (Tottenham)

4 Liverpool

5 Manure

6 Bolton

7 Middlesbrough

8 Blackburn

9 Everton

10 Charlton

11 Aston Villa

12 Manchester City

13 Newcastle (would be higher, but they'll wait too long to sack Souness)

14 Portsmouth

15 West Ham

16 West Bromwich Albion

17 Birmingham

18 Sunderland

19 Wigan

20 Fulham

1. Chelsea

2. Arsenal

3. Manchester United

4. Liverpool

5. Tottenham Hotspur

6. Newcastle United

7. Manchester City

8. Everton

9. Blackburn Rovers

10. Middlesborough

11. Aston Villa

12. Bolton Wanderers

13. Portsmouth

14. Charlton Athletic

15. Birmingham City

16. Wigan

17. Fulham

18. West Ham

19. West Brom

20. Sunderland

Interesting predictions from Soccernet, who had been so negative concerning Rovers last preseason.

1. Chelsea

2. Arsenal

3. Liverpool

4. Man United

5. Middlesbrough

6. Tottenham

7. Blackburn

8. Newcastle

9. Man City

10. Everton

11. Birmingham

12. Bolton

13. Aston Villa

14. Charlton

15. West Ham

16. West Brom

17. Portsmouth

18. Fulham

19. Sunderland

20. Wigan

And what they say of Rovers' chances:

The middle half of the Premiership is much of a muchness, but Mark Hughes could turn Blackburn Rovers into a lesser version of Everton 04/05.

The former Wales manager took a few months to get his side playing as he wanted, but by the second half of the season he had moulded his defence into one of the meanest in the division.

And it will be on a solid rearguard that success is built. Add to that the coup of landing Craig Bellamy and the midfield creative influence of Morten Gamst Pedersen and Rovers have plenty to look forward to - results if not excitement.

That's by the far the most positive I've seen any media outlet discuss Rovers in quite some time.

Here is Soccernet's in-depth preview of Rovers, with a few comments from our very own Alan.

And now to chip in with my predictions, and a little explanation for each.

1. Chelsea: Right now it looks as if no one can touch them. There's a chance that injuries could still derail Mourinho's well-oiled machine, and a focus on winning the Champions League could detract from their Premiership title defense, but in the end I think the following three are at least a year away from seriously challenging the Blues' dominance.

2. Manchester United: I personally think they're being a bit overlooked. The squad is aging in parts, but Rooney is only going to improve and they're not that far removed from the title two years ago. They'll not catch Chelsea, but give them the edge over Arsenal right now.

3. Arsenal: Vieira isn't as big a loss as some make it out to be, but Man U will just pip them to that second spot this campaign. Watch for them in the following years, as some of their youngsters (Fabregas, Owusu, Bentley) blossom into great talents.

4. Liverpool: Benitez's overhauling job is far from complete. Crouch is a "big" gamble, but I think it's not the strikeforce but the defense that will prevent them from challenging the top three this year.

5. Aston Villa: This year's surprise package. O'Leary is a good manager, and he's made some solid additions this offseason, but I'm putting Villa here less as a case of them earning it and more a case of others around them faltering.

6. Tottenham: As much as I hate to admit it, they're only getting better. Mark my words though: something is going to foil their ascendancy in the next few years. They're still Spuds after all.

7. Middlesbrough: I'm not all that enthralled with this team, but their strikeforce will win them some matches they haven't otherwise looked all that great in.

8. Newcastle: Either Souey will get them on track quickly or he'll be sacked. I'm hedging my bets on the latter, but either way this team has too much talent to flounder in lower mid-table for too long. Despite their squad imbalance (let's play 7 midfielders at once!), they'll drag themselves back up the table this year.

9. Everton: I thought about putting them even lower. Moyes' formula worked wonders last year, but they haven't a prayer of replicating that success this time around. The inability to attract quality players--despite being able to dangle the Champions League carrot--will come back to haunt the Toffees.

10. Bolton: Borgetti was a good signing, and he should help shoulder the scoring load at the Reebok. I can't understand how Rovers get criticized for their style of play when Bolton made it into Europe with a workmanlike squad and a rigid adherence to the 4-5-1.

11. Birmingham: Obviously a club this big should be challenging for the title. Losing last year's talisman in Savage hurts, but what kills this team is the fact that Steve Bruce isn't really a very good manager--he signs some good players, but the team is never more than the sum of its parts.

12. Rovers: Transition year for us. Bellamy won't be able to stay healthy all year, and it'll take another year of Sparky reshaping the squad before Rovers are ready to challenge for Europe. We're certainly on the up though.

13. Charlton Athletic: Not sure what the odds are for the sack race, but surely Alan Curbishley must be worth a punt--not that he deserves to go, but because the Charlton fans are apparently sick and tired of seeing their small club overachieve to finish midtable every year. If Curbs does go, I'd expect them to go down within a year or two.

14. Manchester City: Despite Pearce's hard work, I'm still not sure if their squad has recovered from Keegan's nursing home policy of recruiting players. Vassell was an astute pickup, but they'll be hard-pressed to replicate their success from last term, especially with no real replacement for their now-departed creative impetus.

15. Portsmouth: Made some good signings this close season, but their losses are heavier than most might imagine--not only Yakubu, but the service provided by Berger and the still productive Steve Stone. If their Toon captures prove to be failures, it could all go pear-shaped for Alan Perrin.

16. West Ham: I hate their arrogance, but they've got enough young talent and enough of an ability to attract decent players (e.g. Benayoun) to survive the drop. Sheringham, at 40 years young, must bring out the best in an unproven strikeforce if the Hammers are to avoid a swift return to the Coke league.

17. Fulham: Holding onto Malbranque and Boa Morte could prove to be the Cottagers' saving grace--provided they aren't tempted into selling them in January. I think they've got too much talent to go down this year, but if I were a Fulham fan I'd be worried about the long-term direction of my club.

18. Sunderland: I like McCarthy's philosophy in the transfer market--buying young players from the lower leagues--but there's simply not enough quality to keep them up. So long as they hang onto their players after relegation this time around, they'll be well-equipped the dominate the Championship again and bounce back for real the next time. Oh, and I hope Stead does well for them.

19. Wigan Athletic: No matter how hard I try, I just can't get around the fact that the core of this team was playing in the Second Division three years ago. Francis, Henchoz and Taylor were nice additions, but with a few exceptions this looks like nothing more than a top-end Championship side.

20. West Brom: No Bradford-esque escape this time around. With no Richardson and the big clubs bound to come sniffing around Gera if he replicates his form of last year, Bryan Robson will find it difficult if not impossible to stave off return to the Nationwide at the second time of asking.

There you have it... I'll admit I gave the explanations because I was bored, but hopefully it'll give me a couple of things to look back and laugh about next May.

The Guardian's entry. Makes sense apart from overlooking the astute signings at Charlton. Says nice but realistic things about Rovers in the article.

For lazy clickers it reads:

1 Chelsea - Whichever team they choose to put out

2 Arsenal - Won't miss Vieira that much

3 Liverpool - If they can stop depending on Gerrard

4 Man Utd - Plenty of goals, but suspect farther back

5 Tottenham - Davids still a class act

6 Middlesbrough - Little by little....

7 Aston Villa - O'Leary knows what he wants

8 Birmingham - Second city second again

9 Bolton - No one likes playing them

10 Blackburn - Bellamy player of the year

11 Newcastle - Why did we sell Bellamy again?

12 Everton - Close, but no cigar

13 Charlton - Can't think of anything to say

14 Man City - Stuart Pearce's hair turns white

15 Portsmouth - Fancy relying on Laurent Robert

16 Sunderland - The new Bolton

17 West Ham - Teddy Sheringham knighted

18 Fulham - Down in last-day drama

19 Wigan - Took too long finding their feet

20 West Brom - Should have gone down last season

In a very entertaining read, individual fans of clubs give their forecasts. Note the muppet from Brum tipping us for relegation laugh.gif

On the basis that six of them have nominated either Rovers or at least one Rovers player as the Premiership hate figure, I'd say we're in for some rousing receptions on our travels this season. tinykit.gif

Edited by philipl

1.Arsenal

2.Chelsea

3.Man UTD

4.Liverpool

5.Tottenham

6.Middlesborough

7.Rovers

8.Everton

9.Birmingham

10.Newcastle

11.Aston Villa

12.Charlton

13.Man City

14.Bolton

15.West Ham

16.Portsmouth

17.Fulham

18.Sunderland

19.West Brom

20.Wigan

Well the title is definatly going to Stamford Bridge so thats that one over with.

As for the bottom three its gonig be any three of the following as i feel their squads juts are not up to it.

Sunderland-(Struglling to score but could be alright if Steady clicks into gear)

Wigan-(Full of cash...No one wants to sign for them)

West Brom-(Now That they have lost Richardson)

West Ham-(Living on past glory)

Fulham-(Really gonig to miss Van Der Sar & Cole)

Portsmouth-(Robert may be hassle then he's worth)

In a very entertaining read, individual fans of clubs give their forecasts. Note the muppet from Brum tipping us for relegation  laugh.gif

337277[/snapback]

I like the Chelsea fan's view:

Hate figure: Sadly, Man United put up the merest shadow of a fight last season. It's hard to hate a team you don't take seriously any more. So it'll be David Dein instead.

It's always fun to see ManYoo not taken seriously! laugh.gif

Who'd've thought that 3 yr ago? blink.gif

1. Chelsea

2. Man Utd

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Blackburn

7. Middlesbrough

8. Everton

9. Aston Villa

10. Newcastle

11. Man City

12. Bolton

13. Charlton

14. Birmingham

15. Fulham

16. West Ham

17. WBA

18. Portsmouth

19. Sunderland

20. Wigan

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Man Utd

Tottenham

Middlesborough

Charlton

Aston Villa

Everton

Rovers

Bolton

Newcastle - position of this will be higher or lower depending on how long Souness stays in the job.

Birmingham

Portsmouth

Man City

Fulham

West Ham

West Brom

Sunderland

Wigan

1. Chelsea

2. Man Utd

3. Arsenal

4. Liverpool

5. Tottenham

6. Everton

7. Bolton

8. Middlediddle

9. Aston Villa

10. Man City

11. The Brum Scum

12. ROVERS-higher if in good health, but things happen, usually to us

13. Charlton

14. Newcastle-Souey out by Christmas

15. Pompey

16. WBA

17. Wham

18. Fulham-Coleman out by Christmas, too

19. Sunderland

20. Wiggy

It's almost time for the talking to stop and the season to begin, most of the signings have been made so how will they all finish??

Here is my prediction:

1. Chelsea

2. Manchester United

3. Arsenal

4. Liverpool

5. Tottenham Hotspur

6. Newcastle United

7. Birmingham City

8. Blackburn Rovers

9. Middlesbrough

10. Aston Villa

11. Everton

12. Bolton Wanderers

13. Charlton Athletic

14. Manchester City

15. Fulham

16. Sunderland

17. Wigan Athletic

18. West Ham United

19. Portsmouth

20. West Bromich Albion

Ok, ignore the stab in the dark on page 1.

Kick off two days away and many of the transfers I had expected haven't occured so my final prediction is:

1. Liverpool

2. Chelsea

3. Arsenal

4. Man U

5. Middlesbrough

6. Spurs

7. Rovers

8. Everton

9. Charlton

10. Villa

11. City

12. Pompey

13. Newcastle

14. Bolton

15. Birmingham

16. Fulham

17. West Ham

18. Sunderland

19. West Brom

20. Wigan

1. Chelsea

2. Manchester United

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Newcastle

7. Middlesbrough

8. Blackburn tinykit.gif

9. Everton

10. Aston Villa

11. Bolton

12. Charlton

13. Birmingham

14. Manchester City

15. Portsmouth

16. West Bromwich Albion

17. West Ham

18. Sunderland

19. Fulham

20. Wigan

Right...I don't think there's going to be anything significant happen before Saturday, so here's mine:

1. Arsenal

2. Chelsea

3. Manchester United

4. Tottenham Hotspur

5. Liverpool

6. Middlesbrough

7. Newcastle United

8. Blackburn Rovers

9. Aston Villa

10. Portsmouth

11. Charlton Athletic

12. Manchester City

13. Everton

14. West Ham United

15. Bolton Wanderers

16. Birmingham City

17. Wigan Athletic

18. Fulham

19. Sunderland

20. West Bromwich Albion

1. Chelski

2. Manchester United

3. Liverpool

4. ArseAnal

5. Tottenham Hotspurs

6. Middlesbrough

7. Everton

8. Blackburn Rovers rover.gif

9. Charlton Athletic

10. Bolton Wanderers

11. Aston Villa

12. Manchester City

13. Birmingham City

14. Portsmouth

15. Chop Souey biggrin.gif

16. West Bromwich Abion

17. West Ham United

18. Wigan Athletic

19. Sunderland

20. Fulham

I'm slightly worried. I drunkenly bet my "never shut up" spurs mates a tenner each that we would finish higher than them. Now don't get me wrong I think we'll get top 8 or so, but spuds seem to be going places.

338228[/snapback]

You never know footballs a funny game .. but if it's any concellation i think you've made the wrong decision too tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.