BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Citeh To Sack Barton?

Are you sure you don't want to change your guilty plea - CHECK YOUR QUOTE from June 12 2008??? Oh well!

Regarding FaceBook petition - in reply to EwoodGlory signing on - "Me too. Resisted for as long as I could and then had to give in when I realised it ws becoming more and more of a possibility that he was going to be given more than an out of politeness interview. I laughed when sky first linked Hughes going to City with allardyce's swift return from holiday."

Hope your memory is better at work than it is on here!

Or is that a different Gumboots?

Whoops, no it's me and if I said it i must have done it but I honestly had no recollection of it. I really do have facebook to stay in touch with my absent kids who post their pictures on there and usually avoid like the plague anything that smacks of a group on there, Wasn't telling a deliberate lie as you've just proved there's no point - someone will always catch you out.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you never think to question your own judgement when your pre-conceived thoughts are continually proven wrong gumboots? :rolleyes:

I don't claim infallibility, Gordon. I leave that to others. And I still don't like the fact that we have Allardyce as manager although I accept the necessity and I still don't think Diouf should be at Rovers and can't understand what others are seeing in this guy that I can't see. However, I accept that there are loads of people here with far more knowledge ad understanding of football than I would have if I studied it for the next 20 years (Can't go beyond that as I'd be too old to imagine) There can be few however, who would not feel that taking a risk on Barton with his temperament problems would be a bridge too far for many fans. That's not to say we should get up a petition or boycott the club, but we should understand that some might feel that to put any of their hard earned cash into his pocket would be more than they can stomach.

Well said.

Some folk fail to see that you cannot overcome animosity by feeling guilty or by constantly trying to please. I wonder how many of the main complainants used to watch football before Sky and the broadsheets suddenly realised it existed? Not many judging by the tone of most of the recent posts.... "...If Allardyce/Diouf/Barton (delete as appropriate) comes here it will be the last time I set foot in Ewood...there will be a boycott etc...Yours Sincerely, Mr. Permanently Outraged from Loserville, Suffolk (on behalf of all permanently outraged football fans)..."

The premise is laughable. Rovers are not liked by the media and never will be, no matter who we sign. Stop trying to be loved and get over it. Who cares what other fans think of us? Who gives a rats a*** that the press and media hold us in utter disdain because we don't shift newspapers and we don't attract decent viewing figures? Too many of you by the looks of it! We appoint the first black British Premier League manager and draw unprecedented accusations of racism. None of those sports writers would have dared attack one of the so-called bigger clubs in the manner which they did us.

I assume most complainants would have never seen Glen Keeley in action. He was big, ugly and brutal. In a Rovers shirt however - as his elbow swivelled to almost decapitate his opponent or defying gravity to literally launch himself at the ball, flying horizontally in mid-air before before landing on both ball and strikers knee - he was truly majestic.

So Joey Barton slapped a teenager and some gobby posturing French non-entity who apparently squared up to him...gosh! I can think of plenty teenagers in the town that would benefit from being slapped and of several players in our current squad who might benefit from a training ground rumble, just to shake them out of their complacency.

This isn't some sort of government sponsored 'progressive enterprise' insisting on the secularists Holy Trinity of Diversity, Inclusion and Equality before releasing further funds. It's about winning. Nothing else. The club should be bold, not show any sign of weakness as it simply provokes futher resentment and emboldens the snipers. Rovers should hire people who will win us football matches, not pander to a bunch of vapidly fashionable, self-serving posters lining up to to congratulate themselves on being so morally superior.

I actually quite enjoyed that, but I'm in the sign Barton camp.

Whoever described Barton as average should have a wee look at our Midfielders right now, this midfield we have almost got us relegated this year if it wasn't for the lunatics up in Newcastle and Boro. Barton would be our best midfielder by a distance, and unfortunatly it doesn't look like we can afford any better this summer.

His off-field antics are appauling but that was in the past, if he were to join us i would view as a clean slate where he could do his talking on the pitch.

The tackle at the weekend was never a sending-off and Shearer got himself a scapegoat. If Shearer had been any sort of manager he would of backed his player by saying "never a sending off, ref's made a poor desision".

I don't know about you guys but I would rather have Rovers be a rough and tumble team punching above there weight than a family club playing in the Championship for the rest of my exisistance.

#1 for us is staying in the Premier League at all costs, even if our team has the most hated players in the planet 1-11, I couldn't care less.

• Backroom
His off-field antics are appauling but that was in the past, if he were to join us i would view as a clean slate where he could do his talking on the pitch.

The tackle at the weekend was never a sending-off and Shearer got himself a scapegoat. If Shearer had been any sort of manager he would of backed his player by saying "never a sending off, ref's made a poor desision".

I don't know about you guys but I would rather have Rovers be a rough and tumble team punching above there weight than a family club playing in the Championship for the rest of my exisistance.

#1 for us is staying in the Premier League at all costs, even if our team has the most hated players in the planet 1-11, I couldn't care less.

Newcastle fans were willing to give him a clean slate too. As was King Kev. It's clearly worked out well for them.

The tackle at the weekend was a dubious sending off, but if Barton didn't have such a well-earned reputation for being a tw@t maybe he would be treated with a degree of fairness. I'm shedding no tears over it, and there's not a queue of Newcastle fans waiting to back him up.

To survive in this division we do not need Barton. He's the only player I can currently think of who I do not want at this club, at any cost. I was fine with Diouf, Savage, Todd, Dickov... any of our "dubious" players and I don't mind players who wind up other players and have a dig every now and then. Barton is, however, a total liability and as a human being he ranks far below any of the aforementioned. He's a different class of nasty and even though I won't stop supporting the Rovers if we sign him, the club will fall drastically in my estimations. I don't think I'll be able to cheer Barton in the shirt, it'll anger me seeing him in it.

Newcastle fans were willing to give him a clean slate too. As was King Kev. It's clearly worked out well for them.

The tackle at the weekend was a dubious sending off, but if Barton didn't have such a well-earned reputation for being a tw@t maybe he would be treated with a degree of fairness. I'm shedding no tears over it, and there's not a queue of Newcastle fans waiting to back him up.

To survive in this division we do not need Barton. He's the only player I can currently think of who I do not want at this club, at any cost. I was fine with Diouf, Savage, Todd, Dickov... any of our "dubious" players and I don't mind players who wind up other players and have a dig every now and then. Barton is, however, a total liability and as a human being he ranks far below any of the aforementioned. He's a different class of nasty and even though I won't stop supporting the Rovers if we sign him, the club will fall drastically in my estimations. I don't think I'll be able to cheer Barton in the shirt, it'll anger me seeing him in it.

Projecting the future is a difficult thing, a clean slate is what he is gonna get where ever he ends up, if it's us so be it!

If referee's are looking at the name on the back of the shirt before deciding on the colour of the card then that in itself is a disgrace.

I wasn't suggesting not signing barton would result in relegation, what I was saying was that in our current financial state where we are pretty low in the premier league food chain we must fill our team with what ever quality players are out there, and bartoin is one that will be available that hopefully big sam can tame.

I take it that you are refering to Rooney, and yes he can be a very intimidating and often dirty player. So can you list all the incidents of violence comitted by Rooney on or off the field of play that are equal to those comitted by Barton?

Mickey Gray might think of one or two!

I remember the outcry when that Plymouth player killed a family after drinking the previous night. I consider his crime (although worse in the final outcome) to be far less severe than stubbing a cigar out in somebodys eye.

He is a vicious git.

I quite agree. Chances are we'll survive this season without this "rough diamond" whilst his team are heading down. And if you Barton fans want to debate it on footballing terms, then tell me when his last commanding performance was? His best years were in 2005 and 2006 at Man City. What has he done in recent times? Well he's served 74 days in prison. He's been banned for 6 matches. He was out for 8 weeks with a knee injury and then 3 months with a foot injury. In his first match back he gets a red card and another suspension. So tell me - how can you judge he is better than Grella or Dunn? He's played even less than them in the last 2 seasons and that's saying something.

• Backroom
Projecting the future is a difficult thing, a clean slate is what he is gonna get where ever he ends up, if it's us so be it!

If referee's are looking at the name on the back of the shirt before deciding on the colour of the card then that in itself is a disgrace.

I wasn't suggesting not signing barton would result in relegation, what I was saying was that in our current financial state where we are pretty low in the premier league food chain we must fill our team with what ever quality players are out there, and bartoin is one that will be available that hopefully big sam can tame.

I agree the refs shouldn't look on the back of the shirt before deciding on cards, but they do. Generally you have to be a bit of a bellend to achieve that (Savage type players) but usually it's a little harsh. I think in Sav's case it was harsh, as he never really put in any ridiculous tackles, he was just energetic and somewhat clumsy in tackling. Barton, meanwhile, has managed to gain a reputation not only on the pitch but off it. He has nobody but himself to blame for that, and even if it is wrong for referees to judge based on outside circumstances, it happens, and Barton can only blame himself for the reputation that preceeds him.

It's not his talent I doubt, I've already mentioned I think he's a gifted footballer. I just think his attitude is awful, and if Sam can't tame him, signing him could be one of the biggest mistakes this club has ever made. I don't want us taking that risk and I don't want to see him in the blue and white shirt.

Edited by DE4life

/quote]

Thats complete nonsense fraserkirky, the refs are looking for the name as they have to submit it on the match report and if its a dismissal then thay have to send a report to the FA so that the FA can then decide on what action to take for the offence thats been committed.

I remember the outcry when that Plymouth player killed a family after drinking the previous night. I consider his crime (although worse in the final outcome) to be far less severe than stubbing a cigar out in somebodys eye.

He is a vicious git.

We need a bit of that in midfield..... as long as it's controlled and that may well be the problem. :unsure:

BUT Lets look at the 'contentious' signings that we have made over the years of football's 'bad boys', guys that came with a reputation include Keeley, Speedie, Batty, Dickov, Bellamy, Savage, Todd, EHD etc. Just about all of em are remembered very fondly for the spirit and influence that they added to the team as for the threat that most of em carried to opponents.

Edited by thenodrog

• Backroom

As I've said 'Drog, none of them as human beings are anywhere near Barton's level. On the pitch they could be rough buggers, but off it I don't think any of them were anywhere near Barton's level of nasty. Taking on Barton not only sets a bad precedent for the club but threatens team spirit if it gets out of control. So much (too much IMO) would depend on Sam being able to tame Barton, not only on the pitch but most importantly OFF it.

Edited by DE4life

As Barton is reportedly on about 65k p.w. at Newcastle I would have thought this is just a bit of lazy journalism - simply linking him to Sam.

Can't see there's a cat in hell's chance of us actually signing him.

I would rather us not be in a position where we have to look at the likes of Barton but the fact is that he is better than any of our midfielders. He will very likely cost nothing and will probably accept a significant wage cut.

Agree with RoverTheHill. Barton's done nothing for two years on the pitch and plenty wrong off it. Football clubs need quality footballers to win games but they also need quality human beings otherwise things will descend rapidly towards the gates of the Championship. He is a divisive, cancerous character. Avoid.

Sky Sports News have put together a montage of Barton's various misdemeanors on and off the field. It goes on for so long I thought they were going to have to put an advert break in the middle of it.

Not with a bargepole. Unfortunately as he's signed him before, I'm afraid our manager will think he should sign him again.

Sky Sports News have put together a montage of Barton's various misdemeanors on and off the field. It goes on for so long I thought they were going to have to put an advert break in the middle of it.

Not with a bargepole. Unfortunately as he's signed him before, I'm afraid our manager will think he should sign him again.

Whatever Allardyce is i didn't have him down as a man to repeat his mistakes. Yes he resigned Diouf but most don't consider that a mistake. Barton would, I suspect, be thought by too many, at this club and in football in general, to be a mistake.

What sort of message does it send out to other potential targets?

Who would want to come and play for Blackburn if our "star" signing was a violent thug who hasn't performed on the pitch for two years?

I like Sam and his attitude (mostly) and I didn't have a problem with signing Diouf, but this would be a step in completely the wrong direction.

I actually quite enjoyed that, but I'm in the sign Barton camp.

Whoever described Barton as average should have a wee look at our Midfielders right now, this midfield we have almost got us relegated this year if it wasn't for the lunatics up in Newcastle and Boro. Barton would be our best midfielder by a distance, and unfortunatly it doesn't look like we can afford any better this summer.

On a practical note------how often is the guy going to play? That was his first game back for ages and what does he do? On a moral note, would any parent want their son at a club which would sign him? How many chances has he had? He's a complete nutter and we should let him go to Stoke where he would feel at home.

Good points 47er. Behaviour aside, lets look at this practically - do we really need another midfielder who is highly unlikely to be able to play a full season? We have enough injury prone players, to add another one who is also frequently suspended AND is on parole would not be a clever move. What happens if we make him our only midfield signing, the transfer window closes, he goes off and does something stupid and ends up back in the clink? We wont be able to replace him and we'll be weak in that area for another 1/2 season. It's not worth the risk.

Also, he's a ####.

What a lamentable post. You really appear to have no clue. Pathetic.

And I should add; Killer Keeley was released by Newcastle as a red card liability, signed up by us on the cheap and (as is well chronicled locally), was not averse to the odd car park fracas.

He and Faz were consistently the best centre-half pairing outside the top division for the best part of a decade.

What a strange man you are. Holier Than Thou? I'll get back to you once I've stubbed a cigar out in someone's eyes, beaten a teenager to a pulp, and smashed up a co-worker so badly he nearly lost his sight :rolleyes:

Nobody has to suggest an alternative because they don't want Barton at the club.

No one's too young for a t****ing.

I honestly do not know how I would feel about this man playing for Rovers. The ideal situation is that this man never gets to play at the top level again which would obviously mean all clubs taking a stand against it. I cant see that happening so then you ask who would sign him and you think about clubs again very much similar to Rovers. Dont get me wrong I am against Rovers having this man play for us but he is only going to play for a club similar to us which means we as we need him should perhaps go for him.

There are no morals in football anymore.

The ideal situation would be (if it happens) to see Barton come to Rovers, play fantastic football and not get into any trouble - the question is can it be achieved at Rovers.

People seem to forget that Rovers have a history of taking in the 'bad boys'. Under Hughes the team were called thugs by the media for the way they played football. I remember Glen Keeley in the good old days, very good defender who went in hard, very hard for a tackle - the Blackburn end used to sing out, 'keeleys going to get you' to opposing teams. Savage had a bad history, Bellamy, Dickov, EHD ok these we on the football field. Barton has transgressed off the field - he is therefore a loose cannon. If Sam is seriously considering going for Barton - who he already knows from newcastle - then he must know that he can man manage Barton ok. My opinion is really leave it to Big Sam, I believe he knows what he is doing.

Well said.

Some folk fail to see that you cannot overcome animosity by feeling guilty or by constantly trying to please. I wonder how many of the main complainants used to watch football before Sky and the broadsheets suddenly realised it existed? Not many judging by the tone of most of the recent posts.... "...If Allardyce/Diouf/Barton (delete as appropriate) comes here it will be the last time I set foot in Ewood...there will be a boycott etc...Yours Sincerely, Mr. Permanently Outraged from Loserville, Suffolk (on behalf of all permanently outraged football fans)..."

The premise is laughable. Rovers are not liked by the media and never will be, no matter who we sign. Stop trying to be loved and get over it. Who cares what other fans think of us? Who gives a rats a*** that the press and media hold us in utter disdain because we don't shift newspapers and we don't attract decent viewing figures? Too many of you by the looks of it! We appoint the first black British Premier League manager and draw unprecedented accusations of racism. None of those sports writers would have dared attack one of the so-called bigger clubs in the manner which they did us.

I assume most complainants would have never seen Glen Keeley in action. He was big, ugly and brutal. In a Rovers shirt however - as his elbow swivelled to almost decapitate his opponent or defying gravity to literally launch himself at the ball, flying horizontally in mid-air before before landing on both ball and strikers knee - he was truly majestic.

So Joey Barton slapped a teenager and some gobby posturing French non-entity who apparently squared up to him...gosh! I can think of plenty teenagers in the town that would benefit from being slapped and of several players in our current squad who might benefit from a training ground rumble, just to shake them out of their complacency.

This isn't some sort of government sponsored 'progressive enterprise' insisting on the secularists Holy Trinity of Diversity, Inclusion and Equality before releasing further funds. It's about winning. Nothing else. The club should be bold, not show any sign of weakness as it simply provokes futher resentment and emboldens the snipers. Rovers should hire people who will win us football matches, not pander to a bunch of vapidly fashionable, self-serving posters lining up to to congratulate themselves on being so morally superior.

Glen Keeley was brilliant in my view and we could do with more like him today. Who was the liverpool 'hardman'?

I can't make my mind up about signing Barton. Yes, he is a liability and has proven to be so at Newcastle but I wonder how much of it is frustration and annoyance at finding himself at a club where no-one wants to take responsibility for the situation they are in and actually work hard to get out of it. He strikes me as a dangerous character who could snap at a moments notice. We had a defender here like that recently, one Andy Todd. And yes I am comparing him to Barton. Todd got thrown out of a few clubs because of his behaviour and got red-carded here pretty often. Kicking Dugarry up the backside might be comical now but consider why he did it then, watching the video it was because of a poor challenge on him seconds earlier and Dugarry just happened to be the closest target. Todd snapped. He was a liability but one that Souness got the best out of. Can Big Sam do the same with Barton? Who knows? Is he worth the chance? That remains to be seen. If he signed, would any of you be prepared to give him a reasonable chance? Would I?

Finally, would I want to meet him on the street? Probably. Would I go to a pub where he was having a few? Not on your nelly.

Edited by CrazyIvan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.