BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Citeh To Sack Barton?

The ideal situation would be (if it happens) to see Barton come to Rovers, play fantastic football and not get into any trouble - the question is can it be achieved at Rovers.

People seem to forget that Rovers have a history of taking in the 'bad boys'. Under Hughes the team were called thugs by the media for the way they played football. I remember Glen Keeley in the good old days, very good defender who went in hard, very hard for a tackle - the Blackburn end used to sing out, 'keeleys going to get you' to opposing teams. Savage had a bad history, Bellamy, Dickov, EHD ok these we on the football field. Barton has transgressed off the field - he is therefore a loose cannon. If Sam is seriously considering going for Barton - who he already knows from newcastle - then he must know that he can man manage Barton ok. My opinion is really leave it to Big Sam, I believe he knows what he is doing.

Glen Keeley was brilliant in my view and we could do with more like him today. Who was the liverpool 'hardman'?

Jimmy Case.

Who can ever forget that challenge on Andy King? The tumult of heaven rushed to mmet the earth.

'A thing of beauty is a joy forever'

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said.

Some folk fail to see that you cannot overcome animosity by feeling guilty or by constantly trying to please. I wonder how many of the main complainants used to watch football before Sky and the broadsheets suddenly realised it existed? Not many judging by the tone of most of the recent posts.... "...If Allardyce/Diouf/Barton (delete as appropriate) comes here it will be the last time I set foot in Ewood...there will be a boycott etc...Yours Sincerely, Mr. Permanently Outraged from Loserville, Suffolk (on behalf of all permanently outraged football fans)..."

The premise is laughable. Rovers are not liked by the media and never will be, no matter who we sign. Stop trying to be loved and get over it. Who cares what other fans think of us? Who gives a rats a*** that the press and media hold us in utter disdain because we don't shift newspapers and we don't attract decent viewing figures? Too many of you by the looks of it! We appoint the first black British Premier League manager and draw unprecedented accusations of racism. None of those sports writers would have dared attack one of the so-called bigger clubs in the manner which they did us.

I assume most complainants would have never seen Glen Keeley in action. He was big, ugly and brutal. In a Rovers shirt however - as his elbow swivelled to almost decapitate his opponent or defying gravity to literally launch himself at the ball, flying horizontally in mid-air before before landing on both ball and strikers knee - he was truly majestic.

So Joey Barton slapped a teenager and some gobby posturing French non-entity who apparently squared up to him...gosh! I can think of plenty teenagers in the town that would benefit from being slapped and of several players in our current squad who might benefit from a training ground rumble, just to shake them out of their complacency.

This isn't some sort of government sponsored 'progressive enterprise' insisting on the secularists Holy Trinity of Diversity, Inclusion and Equality before releasing further funds. It's about winning. Nothing else. The club should be bold, not show any sign of weakness as it simply provokes futher resentment and emboldens the snipers. Rovers should hire people who will win us football matches, not pander to a bunch of vapidly fashionable, self-serving posters lining up to to congratulate themselves on being so morally superior.

Why do you presume things about people expressing an opinion different to yours? I've seen rough, 'dirty' players playing football, but this isn't about how Barton plays football. He didn't just give some people a slap. If some teenager had just given him a bit of lip and he slapped him round the head, it'd be different. I think the thing I am struggling with most is the cigar in the eye incident. I cannot, for the life of me, see a rational human being doing something so horrendous. How would I feel if someone did that to me or my family? If I then link that to how he behaves at a football club, ie not professional, assaults on team mates, having a bust up/showing no respect for the manager then I don't want this individual at the club.

I don't care if we are liked by the media. It's not about that and it's not about being morally superior. If you think that is why people don't want him at the club, then I feel that you just can't see things from other points of view. I can see that Barton would be cheap, better than most of our current midfielders and people may think that Sam could control him. I also want to win, and I want Rovers to do as well as possible in our position, however I think Barton has run out of chances, I think it'd be a massive risk that we can't afford to take (for all the things T4E mentioned) and I'd be embarrassed if we had to turn to someone like Barton. There must be other, viable alternatives (again T4E mentioned one).

Edited by Pugg

For all his talent, I cannot be dealing with his unreliability. I can just imagine us involved in a relegation scrap next season, playing a vital six-pointer at the foot of the table and Joey Barton getting sent off for a two-footed lunge on one of the opposition's players after 4 minutes of the game.

IT'S JUST NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!

I honestly do not know how I would feel about this man playing for Rovers. The ideal situation is that this man never gets to play at the top level again which would obviously mean all clubs taking a stand against it. I cant see that happening so then you ask who would sign him and you think about clubs again very much similar to Rovers. Dont get me wrong I am against Rovers having this man play for us but he is only going to play for a club similar to us which means we as we need him should perhaps go for him.

There are no morals in football anymore.

I think I understand where you are coming from Seggie, and if Barton showed even a sign of GENUINE sorrow and remorse for any of his violent actions then I would say "yes let's give him a chance" Sadly though there is absolutely no evidence of ANY genuine sorrow or remorse from him, and therefore I consider him to be totally unworthy of any forgiveness from any right thinking person as things stand at present. Obviously I am not party to what goes on behind the scenes, but I would expect there to be some kind of public statement made by or on behalf of Mr Barton should he actually have genuinely seen the error of his ways and reformed.

Because of this lack of evidence of any attempt at reform, Barton still carries the stain of his conduct on his perceived character, and therefore I do not want to see Blackburn Rovers employing this person in any capacity at all. Just imagine what the media and the fans of other clubs would be saying about Rovers if we did take him on as a player. Our already poor, though undeserved reputation with the British football watching community would take a further,and I believe unrecoverable, plunge into a state of universal hatred and loathing from which we would probably never recover.

The ideal situation would be (if it happens) to see Barton come to Rovers, play fantastic football and not get into any trouble - the question is can it be achieved at Rovers.

People seem to forget that Rovers have a history of taking in the 'bad boys'. Under Hughes the team were called thugs by the media for the way they played football. I remember Glen Keeley in the good old days, very good defender who went in hard, very hard for a tackle - the Blackburn end used to sing out, 'keeleys going to get you' to opposing teams. Savage had a bad history, Bellamy, Dickov, EHD ok these we on the football field. Barton has transgressed off the field - he is therefore a loose cannon. If Sam is seriously considering going for Barton - who he already knows from newcastle - then he must know that he can man manage Barton ok. My opinion is really leave it to Big Sam, I believe he knows what he is doing.

Glen Keeley was brilliant in my view and we could do with more like him today. Who was the liverpool 'hardman'?

IMO not as hard as Mickey Speight (sp) now he did now how to tackle.

I'm not sure really. The Rafa/Fergie thing was shameful. The lack of interest in playing the top 4 has started to bug me (originally I defended him for that, but getting beat 4-0 does not sit well with me regardless of the opposition). We've only picked up 7 points in our last 7 games. We play too many players out of position and our football is dire. I've been getting through by telling myself that its a needs must situation and next season will be different, but the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think that Sam just wont be capable of that.

Yeah, I can totally understand that Rafa incident, though I find that more baffling than anything.

On the top 4, regardless of the 4-0 drubbings we got, I still totally support that decision and would have done the same thing in Sam's position. Unfortunately it didn't work out the other week at Stoke, but these are the risks you take IMO. I think this is purely a personal thing - I'm not too bothered when we lose to the top four, because we rarely get anything out of the games anyway. I'd rather not risk our better players and save them for games against more equal opposition. However, for a lot of people, a defeat to Liverpool matters just as much as a defeat to anybody else in the league and I totally get that. I think of things in a similar way to Sam in this respect, I guess.

True, our recent form hasn't been as impressive as it was when Sam first came in. However, our striking options have been pretty poor, you have to admit? We've also reverted back to making some horrible defensive errors. I think the injury problem and having so much dead weight in the squad is also the reason for playing people out of position. I don't personally think this will continue, like you suggest, next season - Sam's already said that it is purely a case of circumstances dictating Samba up front, while Warnock has already played in midfield most of the season.

My words of encouragement will be 'wait until Sam brings in his big @#/? centre forward', because his football will immediately become a whole lot more successful.

Its not that long ago I advocated the signing of Joey, I honestly felt he should get a final chance. His recent antics are not acceptable, Newcastle have stood by him and he repays them in the only way Joey knows how.

I wonder what his team-mates think of him?? I know what I think about him.

Under no circumstances do I want my club paying Joey the 20K plus he would want to be a supposed team member. Trouble is the boy can play and if you could get his head right he'd do well (what was his record under Sam????? playing wise), someone will give him a contract but it should not be us. He's had so many chances its clear he cannot be helped and we should not even try.

So many holier than thou perfect people eh? :rolleyes:

I worry about Bartons insecurity and his inherant scouse persecution complex but I also wonder where we are going to sign a 5-7m rated player in mid career for next to f*%$ all as befits our precarious financial status? Instead of pontifications and criticism from the beginnings of a lynch mob lets have some alternative suggestions guys.

pontifications? i don't wanna be Pope, I just don't wanna thug playing for me. And what's wrong with valid criticism? I think the man's a liability, why can't I say that without having to be forced to give alternatives? Is that what the approach is? Either give an alternative to Barton or be happy with us potentially signing him? Nonsense.

he spends 25% of his time in prison, 25% in the treatment room, 25% suspended and 25% on the pitch. How can he be valued at 5-7m? Nonsense.

i wouldn't buy him for tuppence ha'penny.

You have to wonder where they get their ideas from. 'The fans haven't taken to Big Sam...'? Seems to me most have!

Pathetic article - 'Sam is holding on by his knackers' - Why? Is that because he has more than likely kept us up, where as the sh!t manager with sh!t tactics hasnt kept them up? :rolleyes:

As Barton is reportedly on about 65k p.w. at Newcastle I would have thought this is just a bit of lazy journalism - simply linking him to Sam.

Can't see there's a cat in hell's chance of us actually signing him.

Given Newcastle are currently looking at ways of sacking him I would think his current salary is completely irrelevant. I don't think I want him either but I don't think not being able to afford him will be a problem.

We have sod all money, i'd rather take a risk on this thug than line-up with no midfield next season. Its a huge gamble, but he can be a good player when he's got his head screwed on. Problem with that being he spends more time injured, suspended or gripping tightly to his soap on a rope in the prison showers to be of any use to us.

I'd still take the risk though but only on a pay as you play deal or a contract that allows us to retake a large percentage of his wages already paid to him should he end up having to avoid Mr Big in one of our majesty's finest establishment. If BS can control him on and mainly off the pitch, we have to take him and raise our middle finger to the rest of the world, our reputation isn't going anywhere by signing him. Many of us have given a clean slate to EHD, and tbf he has done some really despicable things and been accused of some really bad things too so maybe we should do the same with Barton if he ends up here.

I know Barton is a complete and utter numpty but i would take him in a heartbeat. I just have a feeling that were he to join us he would turn both his career and his life around. He wont be the 1st thug or hated player to join us ie Neill, Savage, Diouf etc and generally all have conducted themselves well when at our club. I feel if we can get him on low(ish) wages and for around 2million then its a gamble worth taking.

Craig Bellamy(taken from Wikipedia)

- he was sent off for kicking out at Inter defender Marco Materazzi

- In March 2004, he threw a chair at then-first-team coach John Carver

- Bellamy had a very public falling-out with his replacement as Newcastle manager, Graeme Souness

- It was his first game after being cleared of supposedly assaulting a woman in a Cardiff bar.

- In February 2007 it was alleged that Bellamy attacked team mate John Arne Riise with a golf club during a team training session in Portugal

- after Bellamy stormed out of training in protest

- In a post-match interview he gave no respect to Finland and scorer of the winning goal, Jonatan Johansson, describing Finland as "a poor side" and saying "Don't know how Johansson scored, I think he isn't good enough to score".

Many similiarities and I know I loved this guy to death.

There was a no no to Lancashire Utd, what about Lancashire ex cons. :D

Would the games take place in a Gladiators type setting? :D

I'm all for rehabilitation of people who have committed crimes, but people don't change until they are ready to change. You can give them all the help, tools to change and chances but until they are really ready themselves, then they will continue to behave how they behave. In my opinion, like Fife said re remorse etc, Joey Barton, hasn't shown that he is ready to change, and while people carry on giving him chance after chance, then he'll have no motivation to sort himself out.

We have sod all money, i'd rather take a risk on this thug than line-up with no midfield next season. Its a huge gamble, but he can be a good player when he's got his head screwed on. Problem with that being he spends more time injured, suspended or gripping tightly to his soap on a rope in the prison showers to be of any use to us.

I'd still take the risk though but only on a pay as you play deal or a contract that allows us to retake a large percentage of his wages already paid to him should he end up having to avoid Mr Big in one of our majesty's finest establishment. If BS can control him on and mainly off the pitch, we have to take him and raise our middle finger to the rest of the world, our reputation isn't going anywhere by signing him. Many of us have given a clean slate to EHD, and tbf he has done some really despicable things and been accused of some really bad things too so maybe we should do the same with Barton if he ends up here.

+1 - agree with everything you say. Thug, convict, hooligan, scum, call him what you want - he is a better midfielder than anything we have at the moment.

Alank - Goodbye then - thats not the view of a real fan. Its childish - "If they do this then il take my money out"...pathetic!

If we sign Barton I will not put a penny in to the rover`s coffers until he is gone. I will not fund paying that yob to play football anywhere never mind at Ewood.

Do you subscribe to Sky or Setanta by any chance? <_<

I think we/Sam would strighten Barton up. After reading about his career I really think he has tried to become a better person, ie role model.

I haven't seen his challenge on Alonso, but I know what I saw from that game. I saw only 1 guy fighting for his club trying to avoid relegation.

He was awesome at City and I would like to give him a chance at Rovers.

It wasnt a red card challenge - thats the pathetic thing. If he had got a yellow card then there wouldnt be this massive over-reaction from the Geordies who are simply looking at get out clauses from big contracts incase they get relegated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.