BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Citeh To Sack Barton?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joey Barton said he had changed long before the incident which saw him sent to prison.

After serving his ban, he played 75 minutes in a reserve game and said he wanted to transform his image to become a role model

Edited by alexanders

Since he has come out of jail (At which point he said he had changed), what has Joey Barton done wrong?

Well as far as I am aware he hasn't shown remorse for what he has done. I may have just missed it though. He made a rash tackle, which I think most of us agree wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, but he can't afford to be making rash tackles like that (in that area of the pitch etc). If the reports are true, and who knows apart from the people in the dressing room, then he 'blew up' at his manager.

Granted the above arguments are pretty weak, but I'm not just looking at what he has done since he came out of prison. He had anger management help in the past and said he wanted to change before he went to prison, but it didn't help. I just personally think that he needs to learn a lesson, and he will only learn that lesson when he stops getting chances handed to him on a plate. What motivation has he got to change if clubs keep employing him and he keeps getting paid huge sums of money?

Edited by Pugg

Well as far as I am aware he hasn't shown remorse for what he has done. I may have just missed it though. He made a rash tackle, which I think most of us agree wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, but he can't afford to be making rash tackles like that (in that area of the pitch etc). If the reports are true, and who knows apart from the people in the dressing room, then he 'blew up' at his manager.

Granted the above arguments are pretty weak, but I'm not just looking at what he has done since he came out of prison. He had anger management help in the past and said he wanted to change before he went to prison, but it didn't help. I just personally think that he needs to learn a lesson, and he will only learn that lesson when he stops getting chances handed to him on a plate. What motivation has he got to change if clubs keep employing him and he keeps getting paid huge sums of money?

The converse applies in that if he has indeed learned his lesson, clubs NOT giving him the chance could set him back. I'd hope that the lesson learned would be one that would last that kind of set-back and he would prove his detractors wrong. Giving him the chance at a club like Rovers, where the emphasis is on family, would surely help to consolidate the changes he may have made (big question mark over may of course). The truth is that a person who has done what he has done is always going to have that hanging over him (or hanging over him for a very long time at the least) and the press will be waiting for any kind of indication of a return to prior behaviour, like the weekend.

Having said all that, I'm still of two minds whether he should be given the chance. I guess that sounds a bit contradictory but I'd like my club to have a decent image in the press and it annoys me when it doesn't happen but I'm used to it. Having a player like Barton play for Rovers isn't likely to do the club image any good.

The converse applies in that if he has indeed learned his lesson, clubs NOT giving him the chance could set him back. I'd hope that the lesson learned would be one that would last that kind of set-back and he would prove his detractors wrong. Giving him the chance at a club like Rovers, where the emphasis is on family, would surely help to consolidate the changes he may have made (big question mark over may of course). The truth is that a person who has done what he has done is always going to have that hanging over him (or hanging over him for a very long time at the least) and the press will be waiting for any kind of indication of a return to prior behaviour, like the weekend.

Having said all that, I'm still of two minds whether he should be given the chance. I guess that sounds a bit contradictory but I'd like my club to have a decent image in the press and it annoys me when it doesn't happen but I'm used to it. Having a player like Barton play for Rovers isn't likely to do the club image any good.

Comments he is supposed to have made about Dowie and Shearer. So he is not totally daft then ;-)

http://www.blackburn.vitalfootball.co.uk/a...le.asp?a=153712

He's a thug, a genuinely unpleasant human being. I really don't want to see our club forking out loads of money to him. There comes a time when you have to say that certain things are just wrong, and I couldn't support Barton. You get into a fight once that can be forgiven, but he has repeatedly acted brutally and isn't someone who should be playing premiership football.

OK I've seen that replay of Barton's tackle and he definitely got the ball. It's also quite clear though that his main intention was to wipe the player out. Therefore, it should have been a yellow.

His main intention was to wipe the player out? That's a red card then for violent conduct.

OK I've seen that replay of Barton's tackle and he definitely got the ball. It's also quite clear though that his main intention was to wipe the player out. Therefore, it should have been a yellow.

Therfore it should have been a red and it was. The ref was correct.

I have looked at the tackle from a much better and close-up view than that U-Tube clip shows, and Barton did go flying in at speed with both feet off the ground, studs first and whether or not he got the ball is completely irrelevant. That was indeed a classic case of a "man and ball" tackle, which is and always has been since the stone age a sending off offence. And so it should be... any player that deliberately sails into a tackle in that way deserves a lot more than just a sending off in my opinion. That could easily have been a career ending injury for Alonso, and it is purely good luck that it does not appear to have had that result.

Also, for all you people that seem to want Barton as a Rovers player...... did you see his deliberate attempt to snap Tugay's achilles tendon with a carefully aimed and viscious stamp down on his heel in a match at Ewood last season? No, you will all probably deny all knowledge of that wont you? I don't want to see a thug like that EVER appear in Rovers colours.

Reputation and history is not an indication of how a person will behave in the future.

Probably the most valid post of the lot so far.

It's also the only thing you can use as a benchmark.

Barton is a plonker, but he's done a lot less than Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick(?). Sign him up.

Also, for all you people that seem to want Barton as a Rovers player...... did you see his deliberate attempt to snap Tugay's achilles tendon with a carefully aimed and viscious stamp down on his heel in a match at Ewood last season? No, you will all probably deny all knowledge of that wont you? I don't want to see a thug like that EVER appear in Rovers colours.

Do you remember Le Saux attempting to stamp on Roy Keane at Ewood when hurdling him years ago? Specific examples are a bit useless. If you watch football based on the players' characters you'll never go to a game.

After serving his ban, he played 75 minutes in a reserve game and said he wanted to transform his image to become a role model

Sorry I should have made that a bit clearer - he has said he is a changed person on far more than one occasion, including before he had to be sent to prison. I don't think this is a leopard that can change his spots.

Do you remember Le Saux attempting to stamp on Roy Keane at Ewood when hurdling him years ago? Specific examples are a bit useless. If you watch football based on the players' characters you'll never go to a game.

Really? You know a lot of players who have repeatedly beaten people up, gone to court and gone to prison?

Really? You know a lot of players who have repeatedly beaten people up, gone to court and gone to prison?

Golden boy Gerards another that people have seemed to forgot... Southport springs to mind...

Never mind the alleged rapist from Man City, or when Cantona did his lunge at the fan.

Not saying I support or not support an attempt at signing Barton, it's just that football is riddled with bad boys and nutters isn't it?

I'd have him like a shot...Sam took him to Newcastle, for them to go and sack him....Like it's been said earlier, could be a shrewd signing....we'd get him for nowt aswell.

If Rovers do not sign him, then somebody else will. If he does not change his ways, I would rather he tackled another teams players than a Rovers player. But the reality is, like it or not, he will be playing football in the premiership. Would we rather he was our side or against us. It could be a shrewd signing I agree.

Since he has come out of jail (At which point he said he had changed), what has Joey Barton done wrong?

Joey Barton said he had changed long before the incident which saw him sent to prison.

Im talking about since Jail - which HE DID say he had changed and wanted to become a role model.

What has he done? Nothing. The challenge was a strong one yes, but hardly intended to hurt (See adebayor challenge last night), it was just a strong challenge....nothing more. It wasnt a red, and anyone who says it was is just biased against him. If it was then I could give you a massive list of players who should also of been sent off, and therefore murdered by the media like Barton has been for this one.

I dont like the guy either, but i also dont believe in branding a guy when he clearly hasnt done anything this time to deserve it.

I dont like the guy either, but i also dont believe in branding a guy when he clearly hasnt done anything this time to deserve it.

I can see where you're coming from with that, in truth I think the sending off was a bit harsh. However since then Barton has shown just how little professionalism and respect he has. If you get sent off you have to accept a dressing down from your manager. Although it was harsh it was a completely pointless lunge and just another example of the odious little #### letting his temper get the better of him.

Had he held his hands up like a man and accepted that he was wrong we wouldnt even be having this conversation. But he's not capable of that.

Although the Liverpool players have a right to be annoyed in this instance, I swear that, in general, as soon as a player goes to ground, the ref's first thought is to blow the whistle, give a free kick and dish out a card and the opposition players to react angrily as if a crime has been committed.

Fife, Den, I've re-read my post and realised it's very confusing.

I meant to say 'therefore it should have been a RED'. However, in general, I swear that in today's game, as soon as a player goes to ground, it's a foul and that refs are just too card happy.

I have looked at the tackle from a much better and close-up view than that U-Tube clip shows.

It is a poor view. From that clip (the only one I have seen), it looks like everyone has over-reacted to the tackle.

Golden boy Gerards another that people have seemed to forgot... Southport springs to mind...

Never mind the alleged rapist from Man City, or when Cantona did his lunge at the fan.

Not saying I support or not support an attempt at signing Barton, it's just that football is riddled with bad boys and nutters isn't it?

you can add the current england captain, woodgate, bowyer and pennant to that list as well.

If big sam thinks he can control him then I think he is worth a gamble.

just because it was joey barton who did that rash tackle on sunday, the press e.t.c have gone crazy about it. What do they do when we see Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard e.t.c making rash tackles like that??????

Because they don`t stick cigars in peoples eyes!!!!!!!! Don`t you bloody get it!?!

It wasnt a red card challenge - thats the pathetic thing. If he had got a yellow card then there wouldnt be this massive over-reaction from the Geordies who are simply looking at get out clauses from big contracts incase they get relegated.

If he'd have gone through Tugay like that in front of the Blackburn End, studs up and both feet off the ground, with Tugay leaving the pitch on a stretcher - you'd have been up on your feet with the rest of Ewood Park shouting "OFF OFF OFF".

If Newcastle get rid and manage to cancel his contract, it'll be nothing to do with one challenge. It'll likely be to do with contractual clauses inserted as a result of his criminal conviction(s) allied to what's alleged to have happened in the dressing room with his boss (in full view of all the other players).

Or put simply - "you're now a convicted criminal so we have every right to terminate your contract immediately, however we'll put you on a final warning and any further disciplinary problem of any nature gives us the right to terminate at any time in the future".

If Newcastle didn't review his contract at that time, then more fool them.

you can add the current england captain, woodgate, bowyer and pennant to that list as well.

If big sam thinks he can control him then I think he is worth a gamble.

I haven't forgotten any of them. One thing in woodgate's favour - he was a broken man after the trial and seems to have got himself over that time in his career. some of the others we don't know about as they haven't had time yet to show whether it was a one off (i.e. gerrard) Nobody's perfect, we all know that, but do we really have to court the favour of a guy who has persistently shown that he cannot be relied on to get on the pitch and keep out of trouble, go in the dressing room and keep out of trouble, go near a bar and keep out of trouble etc. Most young men do things they regret when they've had a few too many drinks at some point. Most don't seem to keep on repeating the same actions to the point where their employer cannot depend on them to do their job properly, or they find themselves out of work. It's the fact that we have limped through a seasonwith too many midfielders missing that worries me more than this guy's conduct. I want a player who will be there doing his job more often than not and I can't see how you think we'd get that with Barton.

Im talking about since Jail - which HE DID say he had changed and wanted to become a role model.

What has he done? Nothing. The challenge was a strong one yes, but hardly intended to hurt (See adebayor challenge last night), it was just a strong challenge....nothing more. It wasnt a red, and anyone who says it was is just biased against him. If it was then I could give you a massive list of players who should also of been sent off, and therefore murdered by the media like Barton has been for this one.

Don't waste your energy Hughesy.

The usual suspects (joined by some unusual ones) have whipped themselves up in to a frenzy of indignation about the latest media w*nk.

You'll just have to wait until the smelling salts begin to take effect and they've calmed down a bit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.