BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Citeh To Sack Barton?

I don't want to see someone like that playing for our club.

Don't often agree with you Eddie but on this guy I do.

You have to draw the line somewhere. I'm drawing it at Barton. I'm not prepared to put money in his pocket.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't often agree with you Eddie but on this guy I do.

You have to draw the line somewhere. I'm drawing it at Barton. I'm not prepared to put money in his pocket.

It would be a big, big mistake as far as the majority of fans were concerned Aggy. I'm pretty certain about that.

It would be a big, big mistake as far as the majority of fans were concerned Aggy. I'm pretty certain about that.

Allardyce seems to be an obstinate sort who obviously couldn't have cared less about the Diouf hoo ha and signed him anyway. If he wants Barton, which I would suspect he does, he'll try and bring him in.

For those vehemantly opposed there could be some comfort in The Barcodes wanting a fee. If that is the case Allardyce can forget it.

As previously stated; Newcastle were perfectly entitled to shred Barton's contract the moment he was convicted. The chose not to.

They are now bleating about (a) because they realise they made a bad bargain - buyer beware I say and (B) they're desperately trying to cut the wage bill - why else flog the their talisman and one of the best GK's in England mid-season and sign a journeyman like Peter Lowenkrands? © Mike Ashley has absolutely no class whatsoever.

Any employment contract worth the candle contain such clauses regarding criminal offences and other such behaviour.

For a comparison, see how Chelsea behave by terminating Mutu's contract after his flagrant drug abuse and then pursued him to recoup the transfer money outlayed in court.

Newcastle simply have handled the matter like rank amateurs.

Barton has obviously got major problems, not just with his temperament, but also with keeping fit.

However, bearing in mind we have little/no money, I could understand if we go for him. Sam said when he bought Barton for Newcastle that he thought he could 'control' him. Plus I am not sure ability wise there will be better options out there for us. If we can keep him fit and out of jail, we will have a very good player on our books.

As others have said, if a suitable structured deal could be put in place, then I would not be against it...

Lot of ifs there!

Edited by John

He'll be even more of a marked man with other teams trying to get him sent off than before by winding him up and the odd kick here and there. There's no evidence that his temperament is up to standing it.

Edited by Ciren Rover

He's on 60k a week at Newcastle. How much of a pay cut do you think he would take? Think this one is dead in the water as far as "shrewd signings" go.

That's why I also think that in reality it's a non starter for us Eddie.

Anyone going in for him would probably get him at a substantial discount to the 5.8m Newcastle paid for him, but I still reckon they'll have to pay him a very handsome wage indeed.

In relation to the latest incident I can't help but feel Newcastle are looking for a scapegoat to divert attention from their predicament/and/or are looking for an excuse to shed a high earner from the wage bill bearing in mind their impending relegation.

I've heard several people on the radio suggesting that had it been Ferguson or Wenger dealing with it, they'd have pretended not to have seen it or publicly supported the player then dealt with the discipline side internally and kept it all inhouse. There might be some truth in that.

I wonder who leaked the details of the post match row between Barton and Shearer? If it wasn't the Club themselves trying to ease Barton out, then the player wot did it is even more culpable than Barton imo.

Well...if we're talking morals, you could argue it's a bad reflection on us that the vast majority are against employing an ex-convict who should be considered to have already been punished for their mistakes...

;)

Maybe you have a point. But it would be way more valid if he had only one "incident" under his belt

• Backroom
I wonder who leaked the details of the post match row between Barton and Shearer? If it wasn't the Club themselves trying to ease Barton out, then the player wot did it is even more culpable than Barton imo.

Aye, I'm interested in that as well. There's definately a mole (or moles?) within the Newcastle dressing room leaking things to the press constantly. Shearer's been annoyed with it since day one and they still haven't found out who it is. Interesting, wonder if Nicko knows who it is?

He's on 60k a week at Newcastle. How much of a pay cut do you think he would take?

Who cares? Do you know nothing about business. Barton has a value and we need midfield players. It's up to SA and JW to decide what he is worth to us and offer it. If he comes fine, if he doesn't then we move on. Head over heart is usually the best way forward eddie. You should try it occasionally.

Edited by thenodrog

I don't imagine Barton taking that big of a plunge in his 65k a week at Newcastle to come here. Davis is not on the same scale financially as Barton is, therefore he's less to haggle with.

Educated guesses are perfectly valid Gordon - Barton reportedly on £65k, fair to assume that Davis isn't. Reasonable assesment IMHO.

Barton WAS on 65k. That means nowt now. You are as good as your last season in this game. The rules of supply and demand also kick in, and there will not be much demand for him from the 'wealthier' clubs who are able to pay that sort of money will there?

Anyone going in for him would probably get him at a substantial discount to the 5.8m Newcastle paid for him, but I still reckon they'll have to pay him a very handsome wage indeed.

The key is whether the Geordies can sack him or not. They should be able to because they should have amended his contract when they agreed to keep him after prison to allow dismissal for a further transgression but this is Newcastle we're talking about so god knows. If they can sack him I would have thought they would do so that they can save his wages for the remainder of his contract. That number would be a lot bigger than his transfer fee, which I suppose they could try pursuing him for through the courts a la Chelsea and Mutu, but I suspect that would be difficult.

If he's sacked and out of work he's suddenly both a hell of a lot more affordable and a club could write his contract such that it's ripped up with any further offence.

If he's sacked and out of work he's suddenly both a hell of a lot more affordable and a club could write his contract such that it's ripped up with any further offence.

Correct. Many people do not seem to realise that all contracts start out as blank pieces of paper.

Edited by thenodrog

Barton WAS on 65k. That means nowt now. You are as good as your last season in this game. The rules of supply and demand also kick in, and there will not be much demand for him from the 'wealthier' clubs who are able to pay that sort of money will there?

Its a matter of opinion. Newcastle took him to their club for £5.8m and gave him a contract worth £65k a week. That was after he'd battered Dabo and had that case hanging over him. It would appear that the demand was there then, and similar demand is pretty likely this time. He might not get £65k, but there's a huge middle ground between what he's on now and what we could afford.

Its a matter of opinion. Newcastle took him to their club for £5.8m and gave him a contract worth £65k a week. That was after he'd battered Dabo and had that case hanging over him. It would appear that the demand was there then, and similar demand is pretty likely this time. He might not get £65k, but there's a huge middle ground between what he's on now and what we could afford.

Exactly. See the bit in bold.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=756316

I'm not really sure what they could sack him for. They probably could have sacked him when he went to prison, but I'm 99% sure they couldn't use that as an excuse 12 months later on. Being sent off against Liverpool certainly isn't enough to sack him for...and he hasn't really done much else.

The only way I can see him leaving is if it's a 'mutual' agreement...by which I mean Newcastle will have to pay him something to leave.

Totally agree Gordon - but you appear to be arguing that we could afford him, my opinion is we'd have to stretch ourselves to a degree that makes it too risky.

I'm not really sure what they could sack him for. They probably could have sacked him when he went to prison, but I'm 99% sure they couldn't use that as an excuse 12 months later on. Being sent off against Liverpool certainly isn't enough to sack him for...and he hasn't really done much else.

The only way I can see him leaving is if it's a 'mutual' agreement...by which I mean Newcastle will have to pay him something to leave.

If they've any sense he'll be on a final written warning (or equivalent) already. Whether they could then take the next step towards termination probably depends purely upon what he said and if it can be deemed threatening/offensive. Knowing Joey Barton.........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.