BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paris

have they got the city beaches up and running this year eddie?

334620[/snapback]

Yes Paris Plage is up, though you'll be lucky not to find somewhere that isn't simply exceedingly dirty.

Pigalle is alright, but generally it's where the French yobs, gangs and various other groups hang around, not really that nice. It does have a few things to offer when it comes to nightlife, but whatever there is can be found elsewhere in nicer areas.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's got a few hills, plus one big rise around the middle which is a really big test (where most will give up), so be prepared for that. Really though, if you are a good runner and have been doing training it should be a breeze. Not sure if I'll be doing in this year because of going to univeristy, but if I do I look forward to seeing that blur!

Just a few other good tips for you.

Make sure that you go to Sacre Coeur, a lot of people don't go, despite the beauty of the site as well as the stunning view, great art on show in the area as well, just watch out for the odd pick-pocket.

A boat ride on the river is also nice, you get to see basically everything all in one go and it is also very relaxing.

Heres too things that are a bit different..Try the Paris night tour on rollerblades..you will find it on the internet somewhere..maybe try a guided tour by day or night or bikes with Fat tire bike tours..they tout around the bottom of the Eiffel tower..they also hire bikes at 1Euro an hour..The Bateau Mouche are a must do when it goes dark

I lived in Paris for a year studying at the Sorbonne. Used to meet up with my french girlfriend after class on Rue Mouffetard and the nearby square was teeming with youngsters every friday (latin quarter). Jardins du luxembourg is worth a stroll too.

Going on from Eddie's recommendations, take your lady to Place des Vosges (spelling?). Calme, tranquille et bien pour vous reposer. It's near the marais, which is a lively area for bars (it is a gay area though!).

I went to pere-lachaise once and found a "jim morrison" tucked away in the corner with no tourists nearby or any flowers or anything. Surprised but I thought it was worth taking a pic. Then later on found the real "Jim Morrison" grave!!

ph34r.gif

On another note, I'm flying out to Annecy tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

Got back today from Paris and it was great! Even more expensive than I had anticipated though.

Best thing about my trip had to be shopping on, and then drinking a bottle of wine on, the Champs Ellyses! Was a great laugh.

Went to the Louvre and saw the Mona Lisa, saw the tapestry of the woman and the unicorn, went to the Eiffel Tower but the queues were biblical saw we passed on that. Notre Dame was great and we went to the top for 7.50 euros.

The only negative was when we went to Sacre Coeur and got off at the Chateau Rouge metro stop which seemed to have brought us to the equivalent of a deepest bronx ghetto. Then we got roughed up outside sacre coeur by some tit/lucky lucky man who stuck a piece of string on my finger and then my wrist when I wasnt looking and then insisted we pay 15 euros each, fortunately an American tour guide came and saved us. God bless Americans!

thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

Its obtaining money by intimidation. I have no idea why the police allow it to happen around the major landmarks of Paris. They should crack a few skulls.

And I was surprised by the amount of begging taking place.

No one really looks down on begging here. It can be a bit annoying if you happen to live in an area where someone has decided to make his home on the street, but you can't really complain about it can you? They get cleaned everynight by a crew that drive around and are pretty well taken care of, the odd euro just helps them out, if you ask the cynics then it just helps out their drug and alcohol use.

The old "stick out your finger and we'll put a string on it" trick is a bit annoying, but the police don't bother because it would simply be too difficult to get rid of. There are so many of them, many of whom are actually normal looking students just trying to make extra money, often they'll get you by doing something like saying "do you know where.....is?". Sometimes the talent they have for languages is amazing. I was once done by a woman who was able to speak english, italian, danish and french (with their being a native of each one of those countries in the group i was in). Not only could she speak but each of us said that we couldn't pick up an unusual accent when she spoke. With that kind of talent it's amazing that she has to be doing things like that, but at least i was done by someone with talent.

but at least i was done by someone with talent.

340951[/snapback]

I was done by a HUGE fella, not some multilingual girl! wink.gif

Speaking of which whats with the girls walking around with postcards asking people if they speak english? I fell for that one too!

Basically if anyone asks you if you speak english you should stay well away. It's just another way of trapping tourists, usually tourists get embarrassed or a bit scared and just give them money to bugger off, the french would just tell them where to go so they don't bother. On the metro they will hand out little cards but even then most are pretty much ignored.

Even if a multilingual girl is the one who does you there will always be some huge fella someone in the background.

jeez, i've neveer seen anything like that in Paris. i must look like a right thug (or french). All the looky looky men everywhere, and people pretending they had no legs on the metro, but no real scammers.

You get them all over, it's nothing too serious, it just means you lose 10 euros on a few pieces of string you probably don't really want around your wrist. Mine is still on after a year and I quite like it....

25th of september I'm sad to say I'm going to be over your side. Start university the week before so I won't be in Paris, unless of course there are some unexpected changes, but I hope not. Good luck on the race, it's a nice place to run, if you need any good advice for post-race watering holes I can give you some.

Edited by Eddie

• 7 months later...

Eddie I'm working in Paris (Avenue Montaigne) Monday Tuesday and Wednesday next week.

What's the local knowledge - which bars will show Grays v Exeter on Sky on Monday night?

Or should I go to Valenciennes v Guingamp in Ligue 2 which appears to be on French TV Monday night?

Also from the TV schedules, on Tuesday PSG v Lille in the "Coupe" is on French Eurosport at 5.15pm - surely this can't be live??? Will there be a riot?? Will I be able to get tickets?

Would you turn up for any of these games (unlike at Charlton last year when you infamously did another no-show!!?? ohmy.gif )

Edited by Tris

Are you talking about the Charlton game in the league cup? I was there, just phone died and couldn't meet you all. Or was there another time that I can't seem to think of?

A lot of bars will have sky and will put on whatever you want for you. If you are talking about meeting up for a drink and to watch a match then I'd be happy to meet you somehere. As you're in the 8th the closest bar that I like is the Freedom. Monday night they have a pool tournament there though so it will be quite full, if you're any good at pool though it's worth having a go. The PSG is being played then, 18:15 I think though, so yes stay away from the Parc des Princes on Tuesday afternoon unless you have a ticket.

Let me know what your plans are and if I can help out in any way.

Tickets are still available and the prices range from 14-80 euros.

Eddie I'm working in Paris (Avenue Montaigne) Monday Tuesday and Wednesday next week.

What's the local knowledge - which bars will show Grays v Exeter on Sky on Monday night?

397345[/snapback]

Tris, I live next door to The Freedom on Rue de Berri (off Champs Elysees). They normally have all the footy channels, and if you like, I can pop down and ask about Grays Exeter. Only problem is that it's a pricey place sad.gif A pint of Kronenbourg is the cheapest at 6 euros.

You'll struggle to find anywhere cheaper than that around that area though, certainly not in an expat bar I don't think. On a monday I know a bar that offers 2 for 1 on their own bottled beer for 5 euros, they'd put the game on for you probably, but you're talking about going to the latin quarter (doesn't take too long and isn't very difficult but it just depends on how far you want to travel and if you want to be able to just walk back.

• 2 years later...

I'm off to Paris for a convention at the end of the month for 3 nights (Fri/Sat/Sun). I'll be spening the days at the big convention centre (handily next to the convention metro stop, that's a stroke of luck) but the evenings will be out and about. I've done most of the tourist stuff in my younger years, so I'm not caring about any of that, but I'm after suggestions on (most importantly) an area to get a hotel in and also suggestions for good areas to eat and drink in.

Over to you Eddie ....... :) (or anyone else).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.