BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

I've just posted about this in the pre-seasons thread.

WHY is £15 too much ? It is hardly likely to cost Rovers any less to host than a Prem game so why should fans expect to get cheap tickets for it ?

(Replies to the other thread, it's more suitable than this thread).

335431[/snapback]

Took the bet.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GAV, I wouldn't have taken it myself, Wigans first home game is Chelsea, ours is Fulham, so thats them above us for a start!!!

335446[/snapback]

dont worry bout that, when we are top of the league and challenging for the title the attendences will be heaven high!! biggrin.gif

and when wigan are bottom of the league and realise the gulf between the championship and the prem they will understand its not all strawberrys n cream in the big boys league and the attendences will fall rapidly!! hahaahaha

GAV, I wouldn't have taken it myself, Wigans first home game is Chelsea, ours is Fulham, so thats them above us for a start!!!

335446[/snapback]

biggrin.gif

I think that'll be a good indicator as to how many they'll get against the big boys over the season.

Anything under 20k and its money in the bank......

Televised games almost always seem to knock off a few thousand from our gates, some even more than that. As we are on the TV qute a bit less for this first half of the season expect that to improve attendance figures by itself, not by great numbers but certainly enough to counter the threat of Wigan getting larger average gates than us.

Out of interest did Scotty ever get his money for that Everton bet?

Yes.

I think ours is likely to remain fairly static at 23 - 24k

Wigans is likely to be a touch over 20k (or it better had be cos then 1864 will owe me a pint!!)

And as a little reminder 1864 - I am led to believe they have sold nearly 12k Season Tickets - better get saving the prices have gone up in the leyland gates again!!!  wink.gif

335257[/snapback]

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Nice bet, easy £50 for you there. Wigan will probably get bigger crowds then us for the first five weeks of the season but once they are rock bottom, the crowds will slowly become smaller and smaller until one man and his dog is watching, like last season.

I think you'll find many supporters from lower division teams visiting the JJB this season just to watch premiership football at Championship prices which has me a little worried.

Its a bet for a reason there has to be some risk otherwise it wouldn't be a bet.

However the risk here is minimal. Christmas hits and wigan are 10 points adrift at bottom of the league. Rovers visit around that time and put 5 past them to go 6th in the table [10 games unbeaten].

Average gate next season 23,041 Rovers and 19,456 Wigan so why not put a bet on that and make some real money instead whining about wether Wigan will have a bigger crowd than us - dont make me laugh!

Hmmm.. my mate bet me a £1000 the sun wont come up tomorrow should I take it everyone?

I think you'll find many supporters from lower division teams visiting the JJB this season just to watch premiership football at Championship prices which has me a little worried.

335923[/snapback]

For my money, if I was making a choice between Blackburn and Wigan as a neutral supporter who wanted to watch a premier league game, I'd go to Blackburn every time because it's easier to get to than Wigan. The M6 always seems to be chocablock when I go south of junction 29.

Wigan haven't been plastering marketing all over the buses and billboards of Lancaster, Morecambe and south Lakeland like Rovers do when they want to attract supporters from further afield. If they're after support from up here, they're not trying very hard.

Or does that just mean they're confident of large gates week in week out...?

Wigan.....Manchester United heartland. tongue.gif

I think they`ll have a handfull of big gates this coming season.....but nothing too special.

Another thing i`m wondering about?? huh.gif ....who will the pie-eaters be nominating as the club "we`ve always hated, but never been in the same league as them, but can we start a rivalry now, please??" (like we did with Utd in 92 dry.gif )....coz they`ve got a few to choose from!

My money is on Notlob...... wink.gif

I know a few Wigan fans who have a soft spot for Everton, and vice-versa.

336247[/snapback]

I play for a team thats in Wigan, and most of my team-mates support Everton or liverpool for some reason???

No danger of pies not selling at Goodison and Anfield next year then!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

With a population of over 300,000 it might surprise a few as to how many Wigan average next season.Could it be claimed that Rugby is no longer the main sport in pie land?

336206[/snapback]

Wigan on its own is not as big as Blackburn on its own. These days they tend to include the "add on" towns, such as Atherton, Hindley, Orrell etc but even allowing for that, I can't see the figure for Wigan reaching 300k.

Rugby League will always be the bigger of the two sports in the Land Of The Pies. tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I know a few Wigan fans who have a soft spot for Everton, and vice-versa.

Looking at the queues for tickets outside Goodison Park today, there might be a few decide to go on the JJB instead.

336247[/snapback]

Living in Wigan I can vouch for this but there are also MU and Liverpool as well

Maybe its not just us, but watched the match in a pub on Sunday in Wigan and there where actually so called Wigan fans in there watching the game - my response was why they hadn't gone to the game - answer - we can't afford -surprising they go out the night before and then the pub to watch the game - fans eh??

In addition, found it amusing to hear the MU fans slating Ch£l$ki for their last minute goal and their responses especially when I mentioned that it reminded me of a certain other team not far away.

Today I was offered a bet that made me stop and think. Usually I’m more than willing to back my judgement when it comes to backing Blackburn Rovers but this bet got me thinking.........

Wigan's average gate over the season will be bigger than ours?

After 1 home game each......

Wigan 23575

Rovers 16953

....Our pie-munching neighbours have an early lead of 6622 ohmy.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.