BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

Wigan 23575

....Our pie-munching neighbours have an early lead of 6622  ohmy.gif

341052[/snapback]

First ever game in the top division and against the champions, why the hell didn't they sell out?

I remember their first game in the football league, a gate just short of 10K. However after the novelty wore off gates were back down to a couple of thou.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 2 home games each.....

Wigan`s average attendance = 20399

(23575 v chelsea

17223 v Sunderland

total...40798)

Rovers average attendance = 19664

(16953 v Fulham

22375 v Spurs

total...39328)

Rovers next home game is vs Newcastle

Wigans is vs Boro

Oooh! it`s very exciting intit? cool.gif

After 2 home games each.....

Wigan`s average attendance = 20399

(23575 v chelsea

17223 v Sunderland

total...40798)

Rovers average attendance = 19664

(16953 v Fulham

22375 v Spurs

total...39328)

Rovers next home game is vs Newcastle

Wigans is vs Boro

Oooh! it`s very exciting intit?  cool.gif

342365[/snapback]

That 17223 for Wigan v Sunderland must have been a small home crowd given Sunderland's likely following?

All totally irrelevant however (apart from Gav sweating on his 50 quid. tongue.gif ) Of far more relevance is the fact Wigan recorded their first victory and we don't look capable of notching a goal until bellamy returns. unsure.gif

• 3 weeks later...

....After 3 home games each:-

Wigan`s average attendance = 19146

(23575 v chelsea

17223 v Sunderland

16641 v Boro

TOTAL... 57439)

Rovers average attendance = 20017

(16953 v Fulham

22375 v Spurs

20725 v newcastle

TOTAL...60053)

Rovers move into a slim 'average attendance' lead of 871 over our pie-munching neighbours.

Rovers next home (league) game is West Brom, Oct 1st

Wigan`s next home (league) game is Bolton, Oct 2nd (a potential BIG gate for them)

thumbs-up.gif

Isnt this fun? tongue.giftinykit.gif ]

We should easily be able to beat them on average crowds. Their gates against sunderland and boro were absolute crap. A promoted team with a population of 300k+ only being able to to get around 14,000 home fans (about 3,500 from afc S and 2,000 from boro) is pathetic imo!

Why doesn't someone simply set up a league table of average gates for the season? This would be much easier to compare to clubs that we could and possibly should be matching. However, it's very hard to get away from the fact that Blackburn is a much smaller place than even the likes of Bolton, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Sunderland, West Brom etc.

On the face of it we haven't got a chance, and I suppose it's credit to the people that run our club, aswell as our loyal supporters, that we still remain in the top flight. There are so many 'bigger' clubs in the lower leagues (if you go off location) such as Hull, Leeds, Wolves, Sheff Wed/Utd, Ipswich etc.

I reckon it will be another five years until Rovers get relegated. In the current financial climate of the game, our support cannot possibly 'support' our club in terms of finance. That's why ticket prices MUST be reduced ALONG WITH ALL OTHER ASPECTS OF THE GAME. Cheap tickets is the only thing that Rovers can have going for them - as much as it pains me to say it.

Its a difficult one.... what happens if Rovers reduce ticket prices but still see a drop in attendance from poor football?

How many times have the club dropped ticket prices and seen zero responce from the Blackburn public in the not so distant past,again,look no further than this Wednesday by all accounts.How much money will Rovers lose on a sub 10,000 gate!

At a guess I would say the crowd has to be near 15-20,000 just to break even on ground operating costs alone.

I fear its a no win situation at the moment. sad.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Its a difficult one.... what happens if Rovers reduce ticket prices but still see a drop in attendance from poor football?

How many times have the club dropped ticket prices and seen zero responce from the Blackburn public in the not so distant past,again,look no further than this Wednesday by all accounts.How much money will Rovers lose on a sub 10,000 gate!

At a guess I would say the crowd has to be near 15-20,000 just to break even on ground operating costs alone.

I fear its a no win situation at the moment. sad.gif

348017[/snapback]

Difficult yes SG194, but its all been about the timing.

Rovers have been slow on their response and the fans have already departed - the difficulty is getting back into the regime and until the football improves I don't feel the price is going to make that much of a difference now.

Why doesn't someone simply set up a league table of average gates for the season? This would be much easier to compare to clubs that we could and possibly should be matching. However, it's very hard to get away from the fact that Blackburn is a much smaller place than even the likes of Bolton, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Sunderland, West Brom etc.

348016[/snapback]

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/attend.html

IHB try this for size - it saves all the adding up!

hmmmn.

whats the pct mean? Percentage of ground full or percentage compared to last year (somehow)

Cant work out why swansea have 118% unsure.gif

348434[/snapback]

Its percentage capacity.

But occasionally they cock up, they will have left the possible capacity at last years figure!!

• 2 weeks later...

....After 4 home games each:-

Wigan`s average attendance = 19498

(23575 v chelsea

17223 v Sunderland

16641 v Boro

20553 v Notlob

TOTAL... 77992)

Rovers average attendance = 20193

(16953 v Fulham

22375 v Spurs

20725 v newcastle

20721 v WBA

TOTAL...80774)

Next home games...

Rovers v Brum (22nd Oct)

Wigan v Newcastle (15th Oct) both games are 12.45 k/o & will probably be live tv games (which will probably affect gates)

tinykit.gif

....After 4 home games each:-

Wigan`s average attendance = 19498

(23575 v chelsea

17223 v Sunderland

16641 v Boro

20553 v Notlob

TOTAL... 77992)

Rovers average attendance = 20193

(16953 v Fulham

22375 v Spurs

20725 v newcastle

20721 v WBA

TOTAL...80774)

Next home games...

Rovers v Brum (22nd Oct)

Wigan v Newcastle (15th Oct) both games are 12.45 k/o & will probably be live tv games (which will probably affect gates)

tinykit.gif

350887[/snapback]

I think Betfred/Paddypower would pay out on this one now Cletus. Rovers should easily top Wigan on all of their first 4 fixtures.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

I think Betfred/Paddypower would pay out on this one now Cletus. Rovers should easily top Wigan on all of their first 4 fixtures.

I agree, Rovers should easily top Wigan, but it`s alot closer than i thought it would be.....so far.

There`s only an average difference of 695 after 4 games. A good or poor run of results for either team could sway it....although i am confident Rovers will win it quite comfortably in the end.

I`m keeping the thread up to date, cos i think GAV`s little bet with his mate is of interest to some people on this board......plus it`s just a little something to keep me occupied during the season. wink.gif

I agree, Rovers should easily top Wigan, but it`s alot closer than i thought it would be.....so far.

There`s only an average difference of 695 after 4 games. A good or poor run of results for either team could sway it....although i am confident Rovers will win it quite comfortably in the end.

I`m keeping the thread up to date, cos i think GAV`s little bet with his mate is of interest to some people on this board......plus it`s just a little something to keep me occupied during the season.  wink.gif

351130[/snapback]

It also saves me doing it, to claim my free pint from 1864 when Wigans average is higher than 20k for the season (not looking good so far!)

well working in wigan..man i hope they start losing because they think they are an established premier team ...they are really starting to get on my tits now big time...but it was funny watching them give the notlober stick this morning,mind you the notlober had a dingle moment friday reckoned bolton took 10 thousand to bulgaria on a gate of 11 .

aah! Dingle moments happy.gif (sighs....)

.....sounds like a new relaxing coffee from Nescafe or something! smile.gif

"Crap life? crap job? crap team?.....then let new creamy Dingle Moments whisk you away into a super league of vast exagerations.........in a cup!"

Or not in a cup if MGP is around....... tongue.gif

I'm sick of Dave Whelan..ok he used to play for us...but he can't shut up at the moment. Opinions on this and that. About how the league should be run etc....

Heard him the other day on about wage capping in the premiership, so that it might make it less of a one horse race......Jesus man!!!!!!...Didn't hear him harping on about that when his crap club were paying £3million out for strikers and paying them fortunes in the Championship........The brass neck of the man.... mad.gif

well working in wigan..man i hope they start losing because they think they are an established premier team ...they are really starting to get on my tits now big time...but it was funny watching them give the notlober stick this morning,mind you the notlober had a dingle moment friday reckoned bolton took 10 thousand to bulgaria on a gate of 11 .

351173[/snapback]

Dingle moment, heh heh. Good one. Where do you get this stuff Abbs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.