SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite.

There are some on here who went over to the dark side more than 30 years ago and have not returned once to see their family, never mind to watch Rovers.

They should be ignored.

391338[/snapback]

Wouldn't do that much for BRFC but would do wonders for the airlines and cause havoc with the environment.

Wouldn't do that much for BRFC but would do wonders for the airlines and cause havoc with the environment.

391349[/snapback]

Who needs a safe breathable enviroment...when we`ve got quality football at affordable prices!! thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

While Tris makes many good points in his post a few pages back, the one area I think clubs are going to have to learn to live with is the negative influence of televised games on attendances.

Personally I think it's peeing into the wind to think that pubs showing games from dodgy foreign channels can be stamped out.

Firstly, as far as crimes in Blackburn go, I think this is quite a way down the list of priorities for the powers that be. They really do have better things to do.

Secondly, in most people's eyes, it is at worst a victimless crime. Remember, Rovers have already been paid by the satellite companies.

Thirdly, the clubs were naive to think that there would not be cannibalisation of punters at the gate. Satellite companies paid a lot for the rights and consequently want to sell to as many people as possible to turn a profit. If that includes dodgy channels from Timbuktu then it's all the same to Sky, they don't care.

Fourth and last - universally unpopular laws always end up being ignored or repealed. Look at prohibition. I can't believe that any punter going to pub for the game feels that they are doing anything wrong - as evidenced by all the Rovers fans who complain about it for home games knock the doors down to get in for away games.

The genie is out of the bottle now and clubs are going to have to factor in higher cannibalisation levels next time they negotiate.

The other factor that never seems to get mentioned is that feature of being able to see 60 mins of the game on the Saturday evening. Given that the average game has around 60 mins of actual possession time, I assume this means that one can see virtually the entire game, on game day, for half the price of attending but with none of the hassle. I'm sure many fans would prefer that a few times a season on cold, wet days against crappy opposition.

The clubs only have themselves to blame. They let Sky get away with far too much and are now bleating because Sky are doing such a good job selling the game to foreign channels and armchair punters - which is exactly what they should be doing given how much they paid.

Excellent points EIT.

Personally I don't feel it's in Rovers job or in their best interests to be active in naming and shaming offending outlets.

If the landlord of a particular pub is hauled through the Court, is that going to create goodwill towards the club from his regulars in particular and clientele in general? I would say certainly not.

My view is that the best way forward in the short term is to try to come to some sort of agreement with local Pubs not to show the home games on the dodgy channels. It would all have to be totally off the record of course as officially the club can only be seen to be completely opposed to these broadcasts.

The second point is as you ay that the Clubs are going to have to demand far more money from the sale of the live 3p.m. rights abroad.

thenodrog makes some fair points on here and on the 'Boro thread as Rovers can do with all the help they can get. However, as I'm not a 'rich ex-pat' then paying for someone else's season ticket would be too expensive. Especially if they are just too lazy to work. Why can't they pay it?

Sponsoring a kid to go might be an idea but why can't the parents pay? If it was a genuinely needy cause, either a kid or maybe an older fan who can't go to games, there could be a fund set up perhaps? It's not so much how much each could pay necessarily, as each person would only able to pay differently, at least it would mean we could contribute. thumbs-up.gif

Some kind of package set up by the club, with maybe DVDs or programmes and newsletters, being sent out would be an even better idea. Really I dislike this 'charity' approach to the club. They should be trying to get income from the ex-pats. The management and the board and are paid very heavily to do this. tongue.gif

Maybe this is an issue BRISA could look into? I'd like to contribute and pay for some kind of service if possible. tinykit.gif

I am completely with FLB. Football, especially at a level where the board the manager and the players all earn millions, is not a charity. I would leap at the possibility of buying a season ticket which let me see all the games delayed, even at a fiver a game (£ 160 a season!). I would pay more to have the program.

The possibility is there to be exploited.

They are not dodgy channels from Timbuctu. They are 100% legitimate stations which have bought the rights but whose satelite coverage also crosses the UK and from which they can derive no legitimate revenue. Have there been any UK ads in English on those channels yet?

The interesting question is whether Sky is beginning to see domestic subs decline in areas around pubs showing illegal transmissions?

As soon as that happens, the football clubs won't need to act as Murdoch's men will be in there sorting them out.

From what I understand, illegal carriage of football is much more difficult for pubs in some places (London and the West Midlands) than others (Blackburn) becvause the local police and clubs are much tighter.

Of course after two seasons of poor quality entertainment, it could be the Rovers Board are deliberately not chasing these offending pubs preferring to re-establish a loyal following before the legal chop comes. But that would be too clever by half.

Edited by philipl

Guest Dik Bleek

Why don't Rovers show live away games in the bar at Ewood like Newcastle do in Shearers Bar, the pubs up there are complaining about lost trade when a match is on!

I've thought that too. But surely NUFC are acting illegally too? Or is subscription to canal+ or whatever available in this country too? If it is then BRFC should sign up and utilise the facilities at Ewood too, as well as quietly 'shop' pubs that are receiving and showing live transmissions illegally.

Why don't Rovers show live away games in the bar at Ewood like Newcastle do in Shearers Bar, the pubs up there are complaining about lost trade when a match is on!

391936[/snapback]

Because Newcastle cannot show it on dodgy sky and have to pay for a "beam back". For the sake of a few fans in Blues Bar, I cannot see them recouping even a tenth of what that would cost.

Back to Gavs bet and its going to take good gates v Liverpool,Chelsea and Citeh to save his bet now,with our league position and guaranteed large away followings there could be light at the end of the tunnel yet for our wee man!!!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

personally i really enjoy going to the away games, it's a change of scene and we have a good laugh in our unit. check out the local pubs and the talent and generally get smashed.

the atmosphere we create is excellent(no drums) and it's a great day out.

i can understand the cost and the travelling about but i love it smile.gif

personally i really enjoy going to the away games, it's a change of scene and we have a good laugh in our unit. check out the local pubs and the talent and generally get smashed.

the atmosphere we create is excellent(no drums) and it's a great day out.

i can understand the cost and the travelling about but i love it smile.gif

391991[/snapback]

Feel sorry for the young 'uns because away games on terracing was an even better laugh and they'll never get to experience it.

Shame but not all improvements are for the better.

The government need to put a block on the european dodgy channels, simple.

That way we would see our crowds improve.

I also think the club has done very well this year with the early bird prices for ST renewals and also an early launch of next years kit & new sponsor

I don't know if this will be of any consolation to anyone here

The Guardian Football & Juventus

Not so long ago Juventus registered their all-time low crowd for a Coppa Italia match against Sampdoria - 237 anoraks rattling around inside a stadium that holds 67,000.

The day we get 237 is the day the club dies. It's an interesting read

391936[/snapback]

Newcastle are permitted to stage 'beam backs' because they sell out all their away allocations.

Talking of good away followings I was amazed with the West Ham following at Citeh last night. All the bottom tier and a good proportion of the top tier for a Monday night game 'up norff' shown live on terrestrial tv! I suppose the difference between us and them is that the Hammers draw their support from the whole of Essex .... the challange to us is to become the recognised team of Lancashire (and no silly discussions about mergers please! We shouldn't be seeking compromise with our competitors ... we should be seeking to destroy them!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.