BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd have been 14th in the average attendance list if we still had our attendance of three seasons ago.

Ticket prices have hardly moved over that period.

393568[/snapback]

Unfortunately for the year before that and two of those three years, home fans could have expected to see dull, clueless football matches which we'd lose. Fans were slow to stop coming, and a lot are now too mean to come back- especially when they can drink themselves into a stupor watching the game in local pubs while proclaiming what great supporters they are. (This is hidden by pathetic whinges about hikes in prices- which simply aren't true)

I know fans were slow to stop coming, because I was. Unfortunately by the time we'd sold Dunn and Duff I'd already renewed my season ticket, or I wouldn't have. I didn't repurchase the next season until the moment he who must not be named left. The quality of those 18 months had convinced me I would rather spend my Saturday and Sunday afternoons and Monday, Wednesday or Saturday evenings shopping. That's been a hard habit to break and I've not fully managed it - especially for away games to outer Mongolia (aka Sunderland, Middlesbrough or Pukear*ehole) and midweek home games. However, the club has my money so if I don't turn up- I don't see this as a problem for them!

I also have a Radio Rovers season so that I can listen if not there. However I think that, as Celtic do, Rovers should have a facility whereby overseas subscribers can watch the games live for an extra subscription. This might bring money into the coffers and make overseas supporters feel more a part of the club.

?  Why do you think that?  I'd bet on Wigan getting more v brum than v Portsmouth.

393528[/snapback]

Cos the Brum game is on sky and is a 5.15 kickoff. I expect about 17k. Imo its all about what kinda crowds wigan get for the rest of the season. Id expect them to get 3 sub 20k crowds and finish off on about 20,500. We will then get 20k+ for all our games and city on the last day will be a virtual sell out meaning we should confortably win. Dont sweat yet Gav!

Cos the Brum game is on sky and is a 5.15 kickoff. I expect about 17k. Imo its all about what kinda crowds wigan get for the rest of the season. Id expect them to get 3 sub 20k crowds and finish off on about 20,500. We will then get 20k+ for all our games and city on the last day will be a virtual sell out meaning we should confortably win. Dont sweat yet Gav!

393719[/snapback]

If the Pie Eaters average 18,000 over their last 3 games, that will be about on trend for the opposition they face. Rovers will then have to average 21,175 against Wigan, Chelski, Pool and Citeh.............I reckon Gav will win the bet.

I know fans were slow to stop coming, because I was.  Unfortunately by the time we'd sold Dunn and Duff I'd already renewed my season ticket, or I wouldn't have. 

393587[/snapback]

Eh? Are you a Rovers fan for the duration or just a fan of two players?

I know that it was a disappointing time especially on top of losing Jansen in fact everybody does, but in hindsight we got more than enough for old glassback, and we were powerless to stop Duffer going anyway. As for losing star players to the Russian billionaire West Ham lost Cole and Lampard, Soton lost Bridge, Charlton lost Parker, Bolton lost Gudjonnsen yet they can ALL still leave us behind in the attendance stakes.

As for losing star players to the Russian billionaire West Ham lost Cole and Lampard, Soton lost Bridge, Charlton lost Parker, Bolton lost Gudjonnsen yet they can ALL still leave us behind in the attendance stakes.

393767[/snapback]

Gudjohnsen and Lampard went there WAY before the Abramovich era.

Indeed they did Le Chuck. They went for millions that chelsea didn't have! I wonder where Chelsea would be now if Abromovitch hadn't been knocked back by Spurs? As financially knackered as LUFC, Forest and Derby I expect.

Whose money it was matters little to the point that I made to Jan though.

Oh I forgot...... Geremi from Boro and..........

....... Veron from MUtd! laugh.gif

I see we have an average of 20251, which is very low. Lets say the average price of a ticket is £25:

20251 * £25 = £506 275

If we want to fill the stadium by reducing ticket prices while not reducing our income, the new average ticket price will be:

31367 * X = £506 275

X ≈ £16.14

Anyone believe we would fill our stadium by reducing average ticket prices to £16?

Kids shouldn't go regularly until they are at least 7 imo. For starters they dont understand footy until they begin to play it as a team game at school / cubs etc. And for seconds sitting shivering, cold and miserable for 1hr 45 in adverse conditions more often than not in totally inadequate cheap clothing puts many off for life.

Kids shouldn't go regularly until they are at least 7 imo.  For starters they dont understand footy until they begin to play it as a team game at school / cubs etc.  And for seconds sitting shivering, cold and miserable for 1hr 45 in adverse conditions more often than not in totally inadequate cheap clothing puts many off for life.

393960[/snapback]

Tell my four year old he isnt allowed to come with Daddy to the football then. He'll probably batter you (he does when I tell him he can't come)

Dont agree with you. I think the younger they are at ewood the better. When they finally do get into footy they will be at school telling there mates they go and watch blackburn which will then also have them wanting to go because their mates at school do.

Like Stu i also know a few mates who take their kids who are under 7 and they love it

The average take for a seat at Ewood, is £13.

Your maths are a little wayward Krislu.

393885[/snapback]

Is that as in profit the club makes, e.g. after admin costs etc or is that the average price a seat is paid for? The latter would mean the club makes even less than that I presume as it still has its own part in the transaction to be paid for out of that ticket price.

£13 is the average revenue per seat, per game over a season, the info game from John Williams. There are many calculations you can do on Rovers income, they all explode the myth that watching PL football at Ewood Park is too expensive. For a single adult buying a match day ticket it is the often quoted £25-30 but for a family with STs it's very different.

Even if the ground sold out on STs our income would not increase dramatically. I don't know the age range of Rovers crowd but let's assume it's split evenly between adult, junior, young adult and senior. If one takes the top "loyalty" price for an ST in each stand and then multiply the sum out by the capacity you'll find the income per seat, per game would be an incredibly low £12.67.

The £13 yield per seat is borne out by taking annual income from attendance and dividing by total annual attendance. I think they take the Executive packages and boxes into the Commercial heading.

The decline in attendance from 26,000 in 2002/3 has cost the club:

6,000 this season, 4,000 last season and 2,000 the season before in average gates. Rovers have averaged playing 23 home games per season so that is 276,000 x £13 not received which comes to £3,578,000 income the Rovers have not received as a result of the gates decline. However, the accounts would suggest a disproportionate drop off in higher-priced tickets pointing to a loss of closer to £5 million.

Whether it is £3.6 million or £5 million, there will be calls from supporters to spend that money which doesn't exist in the transfer market this summer.

Just to illustrate my post above using ST prices only:

BBE & DE - total capacity 16000

Adult £410, Junior £85, Senior £225, Young Adult £225 = £945 per four seats

Income over season = £945 x 4000 = £3,780,000

Riverside - capacity 5000

Adult £395, Junior £85, Senior £225, Young Adult £225 = £930 per four seats

Income over season = £930 x 1250 = £1,162,500

Jack Walker - capacity 9000

Adult £480, Junior £85, Senior £225, Young Adult £225 = £1015 per four seats

Income over season = £1015 x 2250 = £2,283,750

Total income if sold out on STs = £7,226,250

Per seat, per game = £7,226,250/30,000/19 = £12.67

Assumptions:

* Each stand is occupied equally by adult, junior, senior, young adult - 25% each

* ST price is top loyalty price in each stand except JW where the top price area is not available to juniors or young adults. Used the second highest price in the JW.

Just imagine an ST price increase of say 5%. That only generates a maximum of £360,000. 3 months wages for a PL player?

FFS stop playing with figures and quoting an average seat cost of £12.67.

The vast majority of missing fans, those watching in the local pubs for instance, would have to pay a damn sight more than that, approaching thirty quid in many instances. They obviously feel prices are too high, I'm sure many would turn up if they could get in for £12.67.

FFS stop playing with figures and quoting an average seat cost of £12.67.

The vast majority of missing fans, those watching in the local pubs for instance, would have to pay a damn sight more than that, approaching thirty quid in many instances. They obviously feel prices are too high, I'm sure many would turn up if they could get in for £12.67.

394063[/snapback]

For most games, the lowest adut price is £15.

Oh dear, that £2.33 must make all the difference, mustn't it!!!

Edited by Jan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.