BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Man Utd supporting friend of mine, who has been going since the late 70s, sold his season ticket to another friend this week. Apparently there is no longer a waiting list for season tickets, and you can walk up on most match days and get a seat now.

Looks like I've been wrong about our IndoPak population all along. All the hard work put in by JW and the commercial dept in attracting em as new and valued BRFC supporters must be coming to fruition. For weeks nothing appears to have had an affect but yesterday v Man Utd there were loads of happy smiling brown faces apparent in the Riverside, shed loads in fact. :tu: They must have enjoyed the experience too cos their smiles got wider as the game went on. <_<

Be interesting to see if they enjoyed the experience so much that they will come again............... before the next visit of MU that is! :rover:

Apparently there is no longer a waiting list for season tickets, and you can walk up on most match days and get a seat now.

There isn't a waiting list anymore. I know a lad of around 20 whose Dad put him on the list when he was born and he got his first ST this season...........20 years wasted in my view but there you go.

I've noticed Utd advertising tickets up to and including the day of the game on there website.

I know we need to get attendance up and give local school teams etc tickets and they bring kids along.

I presume yesterday that as all the tickets were sold for the Darwen End then this was not possible. So - put them in Family Stand. Unfortunately the kids and Parents of Bolton Wanderers etc who came en masse were United supporters and certain altercations took place when they scored and cheered etc.

Someone should explained the tact of being a visitor in the home areas!

I've noticed Utd advertising tickets up to and including the day of the game on there website.

Trust you're visiting purely for research purposes Paul ;) .

Off at a total tangent - got 606 (on Five Live) on whilst I'm typing this. An Arsenal ST holder has just been on defending why they have no English players who are good enough for the first team. Anyway, he happened to mention he had one of the cheapest STs available at the Emirates Stadium : 850 quid :o

It looks like the Premier League have started to do things to stop the cheap Arab TV from being picked up in the UK.

The International rights were up for sale from next year and they have chosen Showtime Arabia to cover all Arabic countries and the North Africa.

As most people (and pubs) will know, the current holders of the license are ART who show every game live and is easily picked up throughout the UK and costs only £100 per year for a viewing card. As of next year, they will not have the license so no cheap football in Pubs.

Showtime Arabia is on a satallite at 7 degrees West which makes it very hard to pick up. People would need at least a 1.8meter dish even in the South of England. Add this with Showtimes current subs rate of £23 per month (which I guess will go up with the cost of the Premiership rights) I think this may see the end of all Rovers matches in local pubs.

Well, we just about managed to scrape 16,000 home fans today(maybe even less).....our support is now on a level with that of some 6 years ago in DIV 1.

I may be wrong but I do believe that today's was the lowest home support for a league game at Ewood since we returned to the top flight under Souness.

Just out of interest take a look and compare some of our attendances this season to the 2002/3 season.....the decline really makes frightening reading,todays fixture some 8,000 down in comparison!!!

MERRY XMAS :(

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Well, we just about managed to scrape 16,000 home fans today(maybe even less).....our support is now on a level with that of some 6 years ago in DIV 1.

I may be wrong but I do believe that today's was the lowest home support for a league game at Ewood since we returned to the top flight under Souness.

Our lowest was against Fulham last season IIRC (first home game as well) it was below 17k.

Just out of interest take a look and compare some of our attendances this season to the 2002/3 season.....the decline really makes frightening reading,todays fixture some 8,000 down in comparison!!!

MERRY XMAS :(

How many times do you get the sort of embarrassed and half apologetic look when you get back to the pub and ask people if they have been to the game? I'm always doing it. I asked one such chap yesterday, he said that he used to be 'keen' on Rovers but gave up going 8 or 9 years ago and said he stopped going when they started putting the prices up and that it was too dear, (didn't stop him swilling ale all afternoon did it?) When I asked how much it was now he did not have a frickin clue and when I said that I watched every game for only £20 a game and that he really needed to 'use it or lose it' or BRFC in the the Premiership would be history he said nowt but smiled weakly and moved away.

"True colours" springs to mind. I guess he never was much more than a part time glory hunter in the first place but I really do wish we didn't need the spineless, backsliding barstewards so much! :angry:

Edited by thenodrog

Let's not pretend it's just us - look at the gates for the other 2 televised games over the weekend.

City v Fulham - 35776 - about 11,000 or roughly 25% down on the 46,000 they were getting. About the same as us.

Wigan v Villa 18455

It's so easy to watch virtually every game live on TV at the moment I think most clubs are going to have to start taking a hit on their gate revenue in exchange for the increased TV wonga.

Wigan v Villa 18455

Enough said.....very depressing times for crowds at Ewood and with our current form its not going to get any better.I just hope to god the cheap ticket schemes will be in place for the visits of Fulham and Charlton to avoid some real embarrassment on the attendance front!!! :unsure:

Wigan v Villa 18455

Enough said.....very depressing times for crowds at Ewood and with our current form its not going to get any better.I just hope to god the cheap ticket schemes will be in place for the visits of Fulham and Charlton to avoid some real embarrassment on the attendance front!!! :unsure:

Check this out......

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/py.../pages/00ex.asp

then this

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/py.../pages/00bw.asp

Never mind the origins of the towns population there is still a huge discrepancy in actual size.

Edited by thenodrog

I just hope to god the cheap ticket schemes will be in place for the visits of Fulham and Charlton to avoid some real embarrassment on the attendance front!!! :unsure:

Why should you be embarressed? If you're there what else can you do? If they rest of Blackburn choose not to bother, that's their loss. Don't be embarressed.

I want to know why in 3 short years our attendances have gone through the floor for a very 'successful' town club in the top flight.The decrease is extraordinary.....how have a similar sized club like Middlesbrough managed to maintain over 27K average crowds?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/py.../pages/00ec.asp

Is it down to loyalty? fans with more passion? Middlesbrough more a 'football town' than Blackburn?............

Why be embarrassed Ozzie? I'm embarrassed for the club when its efforts to get more folk in are met with two finger's and a pint of pub bitter.I'm embarrassed for Mark Hughes and the players playing for us in front of a rapidly becoming half empty stadium.

Perhaps I should just except it and not give a toss to our present plight, Just like the many thousand's who have seemingly thrown in the towel with our club over the year's,well,3 at that!

Its the gradual decline to the inevitable that hurts.

Looks like I've been wrong about our IndoPak population all along. All the hard work put in by JW and the commercial dept in attracting em as new and valued BRFC supporters must be coming to fruition. For weeks nothing appears to have had an affect but yesterday v Man Utd there were loads of happy smiling brown faces apparent in the Riverside, shed loads in fact. :tu: They must have enjoyed the experience too cos their smiles got wider as the game went on. <_<

Be interesting to see if they enjoyed the experience so much that they will come again............... before the next visit of MU that is! :rover:

Now this is a rum do for sure. For some reason BRFC's newly found ranks of IndoPak supporters who turned up all bright eyed and excited for the match against the Scum did not come this week to watch us play Spurs! Poor John Williams*.... all that hard work for nowt! Wonder whatever could have put em off turning into true BRFC die hards? <_<

*.......maybe he should read ICBINF more often. :rolleyes:

Edited by thenodrog

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.