BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

am i forgiven for coming to usa instead of the frog game?

It'll take a while I expect.

Anyway your workmates one of the the biggest culprits. "Rovers? F$%£ em! They don't come to see me when I'm bad do they?" ;):)

Edited by thenodrog

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't help swell the gate for tonight when Hughes hints in the Press Conference that he'll rest key players!

I read in The Times that Gamst, Tugay and McCarthy are the likely beneficiaries.

Obviously the in-form MGP who put a decent 45 minutes in on Saturday after four months of wafting around like a lost soul is now due a breather and perhaps Benni has been told to go and study the offside law.

Fair enough the magnificent Tugay needs a rest now and again at his age but even that's a double-edged thing as without him on the field, the chances of being entertained are significantly reduced.

But the club can hardly complain about apathy when they more or less state publicly that the team they put out tonight isn't going to be the best available.

I'm not saying it's wrong from a football point of view to nurse an already-depleted squad through a tough month and I'll be there myself whoever plays but just as people have long absorbed the fact that few teams are prepared to give the domestic cups their full tilt, you can hardly expect even reduced-price tickets to be hoovered up for what's in many ways a dead rubber on a crap night which is on the box and apparently not a raging priority for the manager and staff.

It's not a dead rubber at all. 1st and 2nd position is up for grabs and 1st will mean avoiding Champs League drop outs I believe. Anyway when will you see us playing a european night against a French club like Nancy again for less than a tenner?

Just spoke to a colleague who has been for a ticket for the Nancy game. The girl in the TO told him that up to now about 10,000 had been sold! What a message that sends out to the players, Mark Hughes, the board, the media, the Premiership, the FA and the fans of other clubs who will be watching on tele if that is the case. Sooner than my prediction we are dying on our feet and fast becoming an an embarrassment to the football authorities. Anybody who agrees with the 'they want us out of the Prem' theory has certainly had their arguments strengthened by our shower.

Only positive thing is that my 2 tickets for a tenner not only scuppers the theories of the cheap ticket brigade but blows them out of the bloody water doesn't it? Unless there is a late rush I trust it's put that theory to bed once and for all.

This could well be one of our last european nights of all time and people just carn't be arsed. Unbelievable. :angry:

Don't you get sick and tired of proving yourself right all the time? Those are ridiculous comments and once again demonstrates, for the umpteenth time, how you completeley fail to appreciate other people may think differently to yourself.

How about the message the players sent out to the fans on Saturday afternoon? A storming win would have worked wonders for tonight, instead we had to watch a team that only woke up when game was lost. No matter how good the second-half was on Saturday it counted for nothing.

I'm not about to start slaughtering the team but if those players don't go out and give 100% from KO it's hardly surprising the less committed fan shrugs hi sshoulders and walks away. Saturday's performance will have had a serious impact on tonight's game. No matter what the club does to promote ticket sales there is no substitute for effort on the pitch. On Saturday it was the team that kicked the club in the teeth and NOT the good people of Blackburn.

How about the message the players sent out to the fans on Saturday afternoon? A storming win would have worked wonders for tonight, instead we had to watch a team that only woke up when game was lost. No matter how good the second-half was on Saturday it counted for nothing.

I'm not about to start slaughtering the team but if those players don't go out and give 100% from KO it's hardly surprising the less committed fan shrugs hi sshoulders and walks away. Saturday's performance will have had a serious impact on tonight's game. No matter what the club does to promote ticket sales there is no substitute for effort on the pitch. On Saturday it was the team that kicked the club in the teeth and NOT the good people of Blackburn.

I don't think you will realise Paul how close you are to predicting the reaction here until tonight , if the responses I was getting underneath on Saturday before I left are anuthing to go by ( how many people where there down there!!) and that includes from ones who already had tickets.... then you could well be getting a call from Mystic Meg.

Theno - I don't know if you are deliberately misreading or can't fathom what people are saying, but your responses would deem that you seem to think its all down to cost :huh: (including LANCASHIRE BLOODY UTD!! :D )

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

It may sound daft considering the team performance is the most important thing but this is what worried me most yesterday. It's always a really bad sign when the home support argue vociferously with each other. At HT there was a good 3-4 minute ding-dong between a lady and three men. It was the usual "Why don't you support the team when they're struggling" "They get paid ££££ and look at the *@+?&*^ they produce" type row. The man and woman who berated the team I hadn't seen before, whereas those who were defending the side are regulars in my spot.

Past experience tells me we are one poor performance away from the crowd turning on the team, which is always a very, very serious indicator of where we are headed.

I think Capt I've already said it in the Newcastle thread. I don't know what was being said in the BBE but if it's reached this point in the Family Stand we aren't far from a problem. If we perform poorly tonight the players may get away with it as we have already qualified. If this was a PL game I'd be very worried about the crowd reaction, and if the next PL home performance is poor I can see a very strong reaction from the crowd.

Which makes our 12500 for Nancy look pretty good. Wigan were playing a match were the result mattered. For Rovers and Nancy the result in many ways was irrelevant. Plus Wigan were playing a top PL club who play some of the best league footabll to be found in this country. So I think we can be pretty happy with our attendance.

Anybody care to tell me why the same people still leave the same time before the end when there is a very small crowd and getting off is not a problem in the slightest? There must be some flaw deep in their psyche that will not eneble them to cotton on to the situation around them.

I get sooooo p1ssed off with people rudely and ignorantly walking in front of me, expecting me to stand and disrupt the views of those behind me and so on and so on whilst the closing (and frequently nail biting) stages of the match are in progress! One day.... and I can see it coming soon I'm gonna swing big time for someone. :angry:

Which makes our 12500 for Nancy look pretty good. Wigan were playing a match were the result mattered. For Rovers and Nancy the result in many ways was irrelevant. Plus Wigan were playing a top PL club who play some of the best league footabll to be found in this country. So I think we can be pretty happy with our attendance.

Yes I agree totally Paul. So altogether now.......... "Tee tum, tee tum. Always look on the bright side of life. Tee tum tee tum"..... :rolleyes:

Edited by thenodrog

I get sooooo p1ssed off with people rudely and ignorantly walking in front of me,

At least we all had the satisfaction of knowing they missed the only goal. Love it

During a dream whilst napping during the match last night, I had this vision...

JW makes the Riverside a flat rate of £10 a match for the whole of next season. All existing ST holders are offered their usual seat at £10x 19 matches, plus a cup game for a sweetener.

Anyone who wants out, gets a seat anywhere else for the same price.

Riverside fills up every week, ST holders happy, ace PR for "go-ahead-Rovers", Premiership matches not "de-valued" as the club maintains it reflects the crappy facilties offered in the Riverside, ground looks good on telly, etc.

Then the refs whistle for offside on Benni woke me up.

Which makes our 12500 for Nancy look pretty good. Wigan were playing a match were the result mattered. For Rovers and Nancy the result in many ways was irrelevant.

That's a fair point . We were about 3,500 down on what we get for premier matches .

Two questions for Drog .

How many would have been there if the tickets had been priced at £25 and £15 concessions ?

Would a smaller crowd and the subsequent lack of atmosphere have had a knock on effect with regards to the players' peformances and the prospect of the attendees' returning ?

During a dream whilst napping during the match last night, I had this vision...

JW makes the Riverside a flat rate of £10 a match for the whole of next season. All existing ST holders are offered their usual seat at £10x 19 matches, plus a cup game for a sweetener.

Anyone who wants out, gets a seat anywhere else for the same price.

Riverside fills up every week, ST holders happy, ace PR for "go-ahead-Rovers", Premiership matches not "de-valued" as the club maintains it reflects the crappy facilties offered in the Riverside, ground looks good on telly, etc.

Then the refs whistle for offside on Benni woke me up.

I think you've got the roots of an absolutely fantastic suggestion here OJ.

Take it to the extreme - in the opposite stand (upper), offer executive type facilities such as at seat service - but charge a huge premium over the season.

Football must adapt, but adapting by quality of opposition and kick off time is a lost cause. Offering added value at the point of receipt is the way forward.

Edited by Tris

That's a fair point . We were about 3,500 down on what we get for premier matches .

Two questions for Drog .

How many would have been there if the tickets had been priced at £25 and £15 concessions ?

Would a smaller crowd and the subsequent lack of atmosphere have had a knock on effect with regards to the players' peformances and the prospect of the attendees' returning ?

That 3500 certainly seems an underestimation to me, it seemed like a lot less than a normal crowd.

1. Dunno BUT I'd wager the receipts would easily have been more.

2. The atmosphere could surely not get much worse than it was last night. With the odd echoing shout it was like being in public swimming baths for long periods.

I think you've got the roots of an absolutely fantastic suggestion here OJ.

Take it to the extreme - in the opposite stand (upper), offer executive type facilities such as at seat service - but charge a huge premium over the season.

Football must adapt, but adapting by quality of opposition and kick off time is a lost cause. Offering added value at the point of receipt is the way forward.

I think my BRISA membership may have lapsed, as I have not had a Christmas card yet this year, and do not recall paying another fiver recently either HOWEVER-please Den/PB/Paul feel free to put it into the pot next time you see Williams. :D

Don't you get sick and tired of proving yourself right all the time? Those are ridiculous comments and once again demonstrates, for the umpteenth time, how you completeley fail to appreciate other people may think differently to yourself.

No, he appreciates them, he gives them special little titles like , losers, stupid and no marks.

oiks paying a tenner, standing in the rain and bravely chanting insults at 20 opposing fans at Accy Stanley

As one of the brave oiks let me say it is infinitely preferable to enduring the passionless fare served up at Eerie Park. You can keep your over-hyped, over-paid Premiership cheats, divers and strolling front men!

So if Stanley make the Prem you'll stop going on them. Bit like the clarrots, for years they have bad mouthed the prem , this year it looks like they can make a push for it and it's the "promised land" all of a sudden. And don't give me any crap about stanley, I was at the Formby game and followed 'em home and away in the Lancashire combination. Lived a couple of hundred yards away. When did you start going on then, just out of curiosity.

Good article Colin BUT recent trial suggest that he got this bit wrong didn't he?

"Blackburn should reduce ticket prices by 50% - the club would still make as much money as they do now but the place would be full, they'd sell more merch, more food, more drink and the players would respond to a better atmosphere. How hard is it to realise that? It's basic business sense. We've got a crap product; we need to make it more appealing."

Our UEFA Cup attendances haven't been that bad when placed in the context of what other English teams have attracted at this stage.

This season for our first three games we have seen...

v. Salzburg - 18,888

v. Basle - 13,789

v. Nancy - 12, 568

Last year Bolton got -

v. Lokomotiv Plovdiv - 19,723

v. Zenit St Petersburg - 15,905

v. FC Sevilla - 15,623

and Middlesbrough...

v. FC Xanthi - 14,191

v. Dnipro - 12,953

v. Liteks Lovetch - 9,436

So the averages work out at (quickly checks calculator) -

Bolton - 17,084

Rovers - 15,082

Middlesbrough - 12, 193

So are our Uefa Cup attendances poor? Well they are much higher than Boro's were last season and compare favourably with Bolton's attendances. Especially when we take into account that it was their FIRST ever European campaign and that, in Seville, they are the only one of the three teams to have played a top-class club from a quality league in one of their home games.

So...our attendances haven't been TOO bad for Europe at least.

Unfortunately we can't compete with the attendances of Newcastle and Spurs - two big city clubs. Spurs have been playing to sell-outs but then it is their first continental campaign this century and as for Newcastle...well, despite supposedly having the best fans in the world they are still averaging under 30,000 in the UEFA.

So...the crowds haven't been great at Ewood but for a town club we aren't doing so bad.

Now...the club just needs a few more at the league games! :)

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.