BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On John Barnes Football Night on Ch 5 last night they were talking about attendances, Arsenal and Man Utd have increased attendences due to having more seats this season , also Fulham showed a slight increase.

We are 1.9% down on our average so far from last season.

109 pages so far on soccers ills.

There is of course, one primary action that footballs governing bodies could take, that would make football what it used to be and what it most definately isn't now - competitive for ALL clubs and affordable. It would make every suggestion in this thread irrelevant. If the will to do it was there, I see no reason why it couldn't happen.

109 pages so far on soccers ills.

There is of course, one primary action that footballs governing bodies could take, that would make football what it used to be and what it most definately isn't now - competitive for ALL clubs and affordable. It would make every suggestion in this thread irrelevant. If the will to do it was there, I see no reason why it couldn't happen.

I have to slightly disagree on that Den - there are alot of valid points made in the threads and as mentioned its not all about the money /prices etc even though that is probably the majority issue.

Maybe by doing what you suggest would bring everything else into line but I feel its bit naive in thinking that, but thats just mine and your own opinions.

The thread above from Jordan is probably the best I can go to explaining football from my own point of view simple but sort of too the point (and should be points and not pints) of what it should all be about. Obviously it might not be the same for everybody but I am sure it will be /or used to be for a lot of fans

For me it does not matter who we are playing as I know I will have a decent day. For away games the football is more of an excuse. I enjoy the day whether we are playing Fulham or Manchester United. I get to see my mates have a few beers watch the Rovers and hopefully get the three pints
Edited by CAPT KAYOS

Maybe by doing what you suggest would bring everything else into line but I feel its bit naive in thinking that, but thats just mine and your own opinions.

What did you think the suggestion was Captain? I haven't said yet. :D

Go on then, Den; I'll prompt you....

What is your suggestion to resolve the Old Gate Debate?

Well, there is an answer to all of footballs problems - limit players wages, otherwise known as a wage cap. Platini is apparently running with this [according to an earlier poster].

"never happen" I hear you say. If the will was there, as I said previously, it would cure all of footballs problems and it could happen The only thing is that the wage cap would have to be across the board - all clubs. Imagine wages being limited across the board, averaging out to say - £6000/week or £300,000/year. God that's more than enough money for any footballer.

At a sweep, there would be no reason for any player to move on for financial reasons. All football would thus become more competitive. The playing field would become so level, all clubs would be in with a chance of actually winning something worthwhile. Clubs couldn't overspend. Supporters would look forward to the 3rd round draw of the FA cup again. Ticket prices could decrease dramatically.

The solution is there, it only needs the will of UEFA and all clubs. :)

Aggy posted this in the Arsenal thread but I wanted to bring my comments in here

Exactly. I'm now down to three games I actually look forward to ~ Liverpool, United and Newcastle (bizare I know). Wonderful isn't it. Three games in a season that make you excited about the idea of going to a football match. THREE! Is it any wonder the game is dead on it's feet? Unless the PL wake up to the simple facts - 15 of the PL clubs are not worth watching - they run the risk of the attendance decline excelerating beyond belief.

I can appreciate Arsenal's quality but abhor the time-wasting we saw on Saturday, which I think is the worst I've noticed at Ewood, and will not give them credit as a team when they are so cynical. It's beginning to look as though something like 4 points will be needed for an away win if there's to be any chance of bringing entertainment back into football.

Sorry Paul, have to disagree with you there. For me, ALL the teams in the PL are worth watching, and anyway just seeing the Rovers is enough reason for me to want to attend. The thing that stops me is the OVERALL cost of attendance. If ever the day comes that England takes a leaf out of Scotland's book and gives pensioners free bus travel throughout the UK, I will have a season ticket again. Until that happens it will have to stay at about 4 visits a year.

For me it does not matter who we are playing as I know I will have a decent day. For away games the football is more of an excuse. I enjoy the day whether we are playing Fulham or Manchester United. I get to see my mates have a few beers watch the Rovers and hopefully get the three pints.

From the posts you make afterwards Jordan, I am surprised it only takes 3 pints! :lol:

Well lads and lassies this thread has gone to 107 pages and so far nobody has come up with a suitable solution. So how about this one! Bear with me.

We all know that the TV exposure has both increased prices and also made a huge amount of money for TV companies, players and their agents, and of course the clubs; in fact everybody except the people that pay to get in and watch. And now we have the latest big money hand down from the TV companies to continue this farce.

OK, so here's the deal: Just as film companies require extras for crowd scenes etc and are willing to pay for their services, so do the TV companies. They dont want to have their cameras showing vast areas of empty seats all round the grounds. So instead of paying all those millions to the clubs, why not set some of it aside to provide a package for each fan that turns up at the game? Something along the lines of:

For each fan that attends they will get free travel to and from the match, free admission, plus a free pie and a pint, or equivalent (their choice). That would apply to all attendees. In addition for each fan that the TV shows in close-up, they would be paid a fiver in cash.

There now thats the attendance problem solved! ;) And it's a lot better than Lancashire United!

Copyright Fife Rover 2007.

Edited by Fife Rover

Glad to see you,ve written my post off without any comment, Fife. :)

Sorry Den I had not even seen your posts when I got my idea. I was reading Waggy's qotation of Brian Clough at the time when I decided to short cut to the end of the thread and put my idea forward.

Incidentally now I have read your idea, I have to point out that it is virtually identical to the discussion and argument I used around two years ago when I was expounding on all the causes of people losing interest in football. When I suggested then a return to all clubs having a maximum wage and thus a level playing field it was unaminously kicked out because of human rights etc etc. However I do agree with your slant on it (obviously).

Edited by Fife Rover

What did you think the suggestion was Captain? I haven't said yet. :D

Sorry Den, didn't make it clear.... I thought this was your point here :P:wstu:

competitive for ALL clubs and affordable

in a sort of snap your fingers sort of way (if you get my drift) and writing off the reasons that people had already posted.

why cant rovers get some sort of billboard either manual or electronic on the embankment bit were the old rovers club used to be opp micky d's and advertise games instead of the poxy one hidden behind the trees and still advertising the arsenal game and one on the road to darwen as well.Just think the one now does us no favours.

Well folks, now it's my turn to "do a Den" and complain that nobody has commented on my "solution" to the Old Gate Debate. ( near the bottom of page 107 if you are interested). :angry:

Also, since I wrote it initially as a "tongue in cheek" proposal. I have thought about it and now think that if it was ever taken up (fat chance) it actually would work and provide the solution to the missing millions.

Edited by Fife Rover

For each fan that attends they will get free travel to and from the match, free admission, plus a free pie and a pint, or equivalent (their choice). That would apply to all attendees. In addition for each fan that the TV shows in close-up, they would be paid a fiver in cash.

Well I'll moan about this ;) I don't like processed pies ( never eat them), I rarely drink beer and have to drive home anyway, the TV cameras always concentrate on the lower tiers! There you go Fife.

In all seriousness I think we will reach the stage where clubs have to subsidise tickets from TV money. Sky et al will not tolerate empty stadiums for long. I appreciate many who do not agree with my view of the PL and I can only say this. I know 10 households in our village that have stopped going to Ewood on a regular basis (STs) if they go at all. Personally I'm close to not renewing, my eldest can sort himself out these days, the youngest isn't desperately worried about going or not, but for our Tom it is the highlight of his week. Now Tom leaves home September 2008 and will only come back every 6 weeks or so. This pretty much leaves me on my own........

Well I'll moan about this ;) I don't like processed pies ( never eat them), I rarely drink beer and have to drive home anyway, the TV cameras always concentrate on the lower tiers! There you go Fife.

In all seriousness I think we will reach the stage where clubs have to subsidise tickets from TV money. Sky et al will not tolerate empty stadiums for long. I appreciate many who do not agree with my view of the PL and I can only say this. I know 10 households in our village that have stopped going to Ewood on a regular basis (STs) if they go at all. Personally I'm close to not renewing, my eldest can sort himself out these days, the youngest isn't desperately worried about going or not, but for our Tom it is the highlight of his week. Now Tom leaves home September 2008 and will only come back every 6 weeks or so. This pretty much leaves me on my own........

I know the sums involved now influence this mightily but cheap ticketing to woo fans back to the grounds is like taking paracetomol the morning after a hard nights drinking. Prevention is always better than cure and just like it would be wise in hindsight to consume less alcohol then so hindsight might have been advised not to aquiesce so readily to the Pandora's box that is TV.

Edited by thenodrog

so hindsight might have been advised not to aquiesce so readily to the Pandora's box that is TV.

Right, but 15 - 20 years too late I'm afraid.

Football has sold its soul to television and there is no going back.

The economics of it just don't work out, though. To get TV-levels of funding for football clubs, what the hell would the supporters have to pay?

I'd still prefer to go to a live match with a few friends than watch on TV. Perhaps there should be a specified stand where you can have a drink? And not get warned for standing? I'm not entirely sure that bringing terracing back would help much, if you can't drink, smoke or make merry. One of the reasons that "music on the tannoy" is becoming more prevalent is that you don't get the noise you used to.

Other than that, lower priced tickets and continuing success are the only things that'll bring lapsed supporters back. I wonder, though, should we do a ManUre and find a good Asian player, preferably one popular in the East. That might encourage some of the asian community to attend (or at least drive some marketing in the East).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.