BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Espanyol Attendance?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also-rans who finished fifth in La Liga last season, LeChuck?

And there is no way Inter Milan--or any other major European side--would want to play Rovers in a preseason "friendly" right now given our current reputation.

337401[/snapback]

As far as I know it's money thing, they'll play anyone who stumps up enough cash to play them.

The size of our crowds for pre-season friendlies has no link whatsoever to our future survival in the prem.  Bolton attracted about 2000 yesterday yet will be sold out most games this year so that tells you all you need to know.  It is not even worthy of a topic.

337377[/snapback]

Oh righto Manc. Is that why you have made 4 replies? tongue.gif

Also-rans who finished fifth in La Liga last season,

337401[/snapback]

(philly rover this is not intended as critism of your comment.)

Yes, but to be honest, apart from those who are interested in european football, how many people would have heard of Espanyol.

Lets be honest when some european player is mentioned in the transfer section of this site. unless its one of the famous clubs, how many have actually heard of the european team that the transfer target played for, let alone the player.

A lot of the members of this site are well educated on european football, but how many could have named an Espanyol player. An attendance at a friendly or testimonial is very much geared on the popularity of the opposition or the personalities involved. What was there about Espanyol that would attract people from Blackburn to watch them......bearing in mind there was an Ashes Test match being televised live.

Another impact on friendly attendances. is the fact that many supporters gear there summer holidays, to ensure they dont miss the actual start of the season.

I went ands so did my boyfriend. I got the £5 tickets for young adult season ticket holders which i thought was good. It was a bit pricey at £15 for adults though and should have been £10 i think. I love going to watch rovers if its a friendly or FA cup final. I went to every single home game last season (including testemonial for TP and all cup games) and i even managed to go to 4 away games and the FA cup semi-final. I have been a season ticket holder for 6 years now and woudn't change it for the world!

rover.giftinykit.gifrover.gif

You are entirely correct, so what we need to do it turn arm-chair fans into walk-on fans, walk-on fans in to regular attendees, regulars into ST holders, ST holders into die-hards. This is the only way to get the attendances we require.

How do we go about this ? Not by castigating those we need to come more often for not being "proper fans".

For once I understand why Scotty feels the need to add "numpty" at the end of each reply.

337368[/snapback]

A taj waspish that Glenn, you are obviously 'nettled'.

so..........

I do humbly apologise for giving what amounts to an honest opinion, and especially so on your very own messageboard Glenn. I do of course concede to your undoubted intellectual genius Glenn (I am btw metaphorically wringing my cap whilst I type this) and I am deeply honoured that you have even bothered to consider me a numpty your honourable worshipfullness.

However ........

Should I

1. Promise never do it again?

2. Lie?

3. Promise never to start contentious topics like this which (although various members wanted it to be locked) result in 3 pages of varied and valid opinions in just a few hours?

4. Promise only to start boring stuff such as, 'what is the best value ipod / laptop' yawn..........or try some stupid internet game that I have just found and wasted half a day of work time before amassing 50 points......... or even Friday frickin funnies?

or

5. Never start a topic when you are in the middle of a period? tongue.gif Hope you've enough bubble wrap to see you through chuck?

Love Drog

btw imo you need to choose your friends more carefully. dry.gif

This thread is pointless.

People choose to either go to these matches or not. They choose whether or not to pay £15 to watch some mediocre Spanish team.

The fact is that we keep comparing the current situation with the one we had in the 90's and its not the same.

Whatever the club do will never suit everyone so lets just hope that the performances on the pitch have a greater effect on gates than club policy.

This thread is pointless.

The fact is that we keep comparing the current situation with the one we had in the 90's and its not the same.

337420[/snapback]

another one that can't resist replying eh? rolleyes.gif

Anyway Uddersfelt if you have read a few of my posts in recent times (not on this thread) you will find that I have commented that I personally find a much closer comparison to the situation that we had in the mid-late 60's! sad.gif

Which is probably why I feel such a strong sense of frustration and anger in watching history repeat itself. sad.gif

so..........

I do humbly apologise for giving what amounts to an honest opinion, and especially so on your very own messageboard Glenn.  I do of course concede to your undoubted intellectual genius Glenn (I am btw metaphorically wringing my cap whilst I type this) and I am deeply honoured that you have even bothered to consider me a numpty your honourable worshipfullness.

However ........

Should I

1.  Promise never do it again?

2.  Lie?

3.  Promise never to start contentious topics like this which (although various members wanted it to be locked) result in 3 pages of varied and valid opinions in just a few hours?

4.  Promise only to start boring stuff such as, 'what is the best value ipod / laptop' yawn..........or try some stupid internet game that I have just found and wasted half a day of work time before amassing 50 points......... or even Friday frickin funnies?           

or

5.  Never start a topic when you are in the middle of a period?  tongue.gif  Hope you've enough bubble wrap to see you through chuck?

Love Drog

btw imo you need to choose your friends more carefully.  dry.gif

337419[/snapback]

If ever there was a reason to get you reinstated it's a post like that one. First time I've laughed out loud reading this board in a while.

Not having a pop at you Glenn, but bubble wrap in the middle of a period laugh.giflaugh.gif

I hadn't realised the attendance had been so low for those two games.

Neil, I guess you know what the evidence points towards.

Lowering prices in the last two or three seasons has had almost zero impact in improving the attendances.

so..........

I do humbly apologise for giving what amounts to an honest opinion, and especially so on your very own messageboard Glenn.  I do of course concede to your undoubted intellectual genius Glenn (I am btw metaphorically wringing my cap whilst I type this) and I am deeply honoured that you have even bothered to consider me a numpty your honourable worshipfullness.

However ........

Should I

1.  Promise never do it again?

2.  Lie?

3.  Promise never to start contentious topics like this which (although various members wanted it to be locked) result in 3 pages of varied and valid opinions in just a few hours?

4.  Promise only to start boring stuff such as, 'what is the best value ipod / laptop' yawn..........or try some stupid internet game that I have just found and wasted half a day of work time before amassing 50 points......... or even Friday frickin funnies?           

or

5.  Never start a topic when you are in the middle of a period?  tongue.gif  Hope you've enough bubble wrap to see you through chuck?

Love Drog

btw imo you need to choose your friends more carefully.  dry.gif

337419[/snapback]

How about 6. Discuss the subject YOU started without turning this into yet another member vs member points scoring thread.

Sorry I had the ordacity to disagree, I'll try and make sure it doesn't happen again. thumbs-up.gif

As for choosing my friends ..... eh ?

If ever there was a reason to get you reinstated it's a post like that one. First time I've laughed out loud reading this board in a while.

Not having a pop at you Glenn, but bubble wrap in the middle of a period

laugh.gif  laugh.gif

337424[/snapback]

Have to admit I smiled myself.

The irony is I was pushing for him to re-instated smile.gif

Also-rans who finished fifth in La Liga last season, LeChuck?

And there is no way Inter Milan--or any other major European side--would want to play Rovers in a preseason "friendly" right now given our current reputation.

337401[/snapback]

Well...it would be the equivalent of sending Everton or Bolton to Spain and expecting people to flock to see them.

Yeah, OK, fifteen quid was a bit pricey for a pre season friendly, but a quid a kid can't be bad can it?

I took along my youngest lad and paid for three of his mates who'd never been to a 'proper' stadium before. Hopefully they'll remember their first match at Ewood and want to come back in later years.

I feel all games should offer under 10's entry for a quid, build for the future and also fill up a lot of empty spaces now.

Well...it would be the equivalent of sending Everton or Bolton to Spain and expecting people to flock to see them.

337460[/snapback]

Ahhh, but remember who finished fifth last term... Spanish footy fans would flock to see them.

wink.gif

In all seriousness I see your point--that Espanyol aren't exactly a "sexy" side to play against--but let's be realistic here. I'd rather Rovers play Espanyol every year rather than pay a club like Inter to come in here and play their second stringers, even if that does increase attendances. It's only a friendly after all, and a near full-strength European-qualifying Spanish side is a better test for Rovers than a big club's reserve side.

thenodrag - the 2/3 of people that you talk about wanting free this and free that and claiming benefit are doing this because they have no money. Blackburn is a very poor town and most of it's population simply cannot afford to watch live Premiership football regularly. And at the end of the day, it WAS only a friendly and as far as Rovers' friendlies go, that crowd was not so bad.

Now I'm not saying that we don't have a problem attracting crowds (because we do) but you are making a song and dance about a friendly game at the time of year when most people are on holiday abroad anyway and are too busy enjoying the sun to give thought to a practice match with meaningless results.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.