BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

I've not seen any of teh pre-season games, but from the reports it seems that Jansen is getting a lot of game time.

He's been on the score sheet a time or two, so is he back to his old self? I know he got a knock against Espanyol, but assuming that he has no ill effects, can we expect him to start a few games this year?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching Matty's interview on rovers world, after he had taken that knock during the Espanyol game. Matty was still very shaken - that was very apparent.

Now the tackle was a bad one, but to me, and this is only a personal opinion, it showed where Matty's problems are. When someone has gone through a traumatic injury or illness, their self confidence very frequently disappears. They become very unsure of themselves and it can take some years to recover mentally.

I'm sure the Matty of old would have shrugged that tackle off, brushed himself down and got on with it. The good side of this, is that it's up to Matty to get on with his career. There doesn't seem to be any physical reason why he can't regain his old form and hopefully that tackle might just make him see the problem.

Well that's Dr Den's prognosis. Let the attacks begin.

Its early days Chesh.

What is significant, when you see him being interviewed now, there is a sparkle in his eyes. Where as previously he had a far away look in his eyes.

ps Did anyone notice his joke to Wendy after the match on Saturday. Something on the lines of People must have thought he was after another sick note.

We live in hope that Matty can get back to his best and I rather suspect that Hughes is calculating he will do.

I'll happily take a big girl's blowse scoring 16 goals and powering us to a Cup win - which is what he did first season back in the Premiership

Give Over Man.....It was Duff, Dunn and Coley what won us that.....

Matty has never had a significantly good game for Rovers in this division.  I would be the first one to eat my words, but sadly it ain't happenin.....

We'd be better off with me nan.....

337799[/snapback]

While we are at it, that Lennox Lewis, he's rubbish and so is that michael schumacher and Kelly Holmes.

I don't think you can seriously compare Lennox, Schummacher, Holmes....with Matt Jansen....Come on....Who said he was rubbish?.....Its just that the only games Matty has had a really good game for us was when we were in Div 1.....

So, I'd rather compare him to Audley, Jonny Herbert and maybe Jo Pavey.

Matty has never had a significantly good game for Rovers in this division.  I would be the first one to eat my words, but sadly it ain't happenin.....

337799[/snapback]

And Hughesy.

I don't think you can seriously compare Lennox, Schummacher, Holmes....with  Matt Jansen....Come on....Who said he was rubbish?.....Its just that the only games Matty has had a really good game for us was when we were in Div 1.....

So, I'd rather compare him to Audley,  Jonny Herbert and maybe Jo Pavey.

337804[/snapback]

I was being sarcastic wink.gif

337799[/snapback]

You have a short memory.

There was no doubting Jansen's quality, and had it not been for that injury I'm sure he would be in the England squad now. He had an intelligance to his game that can't be taught, combined with great ability, and of course the advantage of having a left foot. Since his injury he has shown glimpses of his old self, with a few very well taken goals, but simply can't do it game in game out. This does make it clear that whatever problems are still there are mental rather than physical, hopefully he can over come them, until then we all live in hope, if Jansen was back to his old self than Jansen and Bellamy would certainly be one of the best pairings in the premiership.

For anyone to knock the Jansen of old is simply ridiculous. I can understand why some believe that by now we should have moved on, given up hope and let him go, but what the boy did before his injury was great. If only we could get it back.

I am not sure, just raising the question but has Jansen actually had a good run in the team since his accident. I am talking like 6 games in a row or something like that.

There always seems to be a problem which arises, injury or whatever which has curtailed him. When Souness put him in, Souey was going through a period when he changed the team every match. This was when we were constantly losing.

I just remember Souness' comments when Matty first came back that he was dribbling with his head down wheras before he always had his head up looking for the pass.

I think we have seen the last of Matty as a top-class player (doesn't mean he isn't still better than most of the strikers we have now though...)

337799[/snapback]

Your clearly an absolute retard who is either blind or didn't attend any games that season.

Either that or your looking to become yet another Mr. Controversy.

Edited by shillito15

I have said along with Thommo that this season is make or break with both players and to have them fboth firing on all cylinders is going to be like signing £15m worth of talent.

To me Jansen is always going to be a favourite Rover no matter what he ends up like because he did the business for us before his accident. For Jansen to be sucessful this year he needs confidence and hes only going to get this if he gets on the scoresheet early on in the season or puts in a few Man of the Match performances which we and everybody at Rovers and perhaps most Premiership managers know he is capable of, but the big question is does Matty think hes capable of it?

Why do New members like sparkymarky or huever he is always seem to try n start a pointless argument with stupid posts to make a name for themselves? Anyways, If we could get Matt back to anywhere near his old self then it would be like a major new Signing. Remember the Bolton goal? Class. A decent Pre season, and a manager who seems to be the best man for the job of getting him back, he has every chance.

337799[/snapback]

Yes you are right, he was so poor he earned a call up for the England squad, and IMHO should have been in Japan.

As usual, an opinion differing from the prevailing "wisdom" of the regulars gets trashed and mangled in the process.

I believe the initial point was that Matty's Rovers heyday was in the promotion season and that he didn't have many impactful games in the Prem.

The Bolton goal mentioned three times above as proof positive of Matt's Prem credentials was in fact during our 4-1 win when we were chasing Bolton for promotion. No-one has countered the man's point yet with a factual argument.

Firstly, he did nothing to stop us being relegated when he came. He was crap in our first season down - Souness benched him on numerous occasions. He was brilliant in the promotion season. After we went up the fact is that, before Cole came, we were rooted to the bottom of the table with Matty's failings being blamed on having Grabbi for a strike partner. Getting called up into a Sven squad once (then bringing in a note from his mum about a poorly tummy) puts him at the level of half the Charlton squad. Being English and left footed with a Prem team was enough for Sven to have a look.

Don't get me wrong, I was not a fan of Matty's during his head down phase and I think one of Souness's greatest achievements was the subsequent improvement, but I for one do not think that Jansen was a significant force against the top teams. He was a scorer of great goals rather than a great goal scorer.

And no, I'm not a new poster aiming for the Mr Notorious tag, so hit me with some cold hard facts as to Matty's premiership credentials.

As usual, an opinion differing from the prevailing "wisdom" of the regulars gets trashed and mangled in the process.

I believe the initial point was that Matty's Rovers heyday was in the promotion season and that he didn't have many impactful games in the Prem.

The Bolton goal mentioned three times above as proof positive of Matt's Prem credentials was in fact during our 4-1 win when we were chasing Bolton for promotion. No-one has countered the man's point yet with a factual argument.

Firstly, he did nothing to stop us being relegated when he came. He was crap in our first season down - Souness benched him on numerous occasions. He was brilliant in the promotion season. After we went up the fact is that, before Cole came, we were rooted to the bottom of the table with Matty's failings being blamed on having Grabbi for a strike partner. Getting called up into a Sven squad once (then bringing in a note from his mum about a poorly tummy) puts him at the level of half the Charlton squad. Being English and left footed with a Prem team was enough for Sven to have a look.

Don't get me wrong, I was not a fan of Matty's during his head down phase and I think one of Souness's greatest achievements was the subsequent improvement, but I for one do not think that Jansen was a significant force against the top teams. He was a scorer of great goals rather than a great goal scorer.

And no, I'm not a new poster aiming for the Mr Notorious tag, so hit me with some cold hard facts as to Matty's premiership credentials.

337874[/snapback]

And Dunny was on the bench with him. Get your old vids out and actually watch him play again and you will see where the Jansen for England chants came from.

Memories like Fishes ph34r.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.