BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

what those pay as you play wage bills?

What i want to know is why he isnt being used in the reserve matches.

358191[/snapback]

Maybe he's not good enough for the reserves either? Reserve matches are competitive too!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a man on earth who can argue that, I'm on record as saying that I think Jansen pre injury was better than Duff, but unfortunately the injury seems to have finished him.

358216[/snapback]

Everyone is deluding themselves of Jansen. He was good, and no doubt better than Dickov when in his prime. But he was never that good.

Consider this. The world cup was played in 2002, right. So between seasons 2001-2002, and 2002-2003. This is also when he had his accident. He didn't figure in the 2002-2003 season, and that was the season Rovers came 6th.

You all have short memories. Let's go back to 2001-2002... Rovers finished 10th, but for a good chunk of that season, they were in relegation form, and many posters here were leveling the blame on Jansen.

He was simply not effective. The catalyst for that season was Cole. After Cole arrived, granted, Jansen's form picked up enough that he was in the World Cup squad reckoning.

You could point to the seasons before in Division One... where he was excellent of course. But it is not the Premier League, and you could balance that and say that Jansen played in the relegated team of 1998-1999.

The way I see it, he had about a good half a season of Premier League footy... yet he is revered with godlike status. Why? He was good, but he was no legend.

Matty has unbelievable skills- right up there just below McKenzie.

The two goals against the dingles at Ewood especially the second where he raced away from the half way line and comprehensively beat the keeper on his near post one-on-one.

The jink for Rovers' third at Burnden.

Promotion winner at Deepdale.

That cracker against Norwich at Ewood.

The League Cup semi-final hattrick against an Arsenal side which when you read the names who played that night now, you realise what a strong team we thrashed.

A goal, the tackle to set-up Cole's winner and a marvelous all-round performance the last time we won silverware.

No shaddy, he's not a legend. rolleyes.gif

(I understand that Roscamp and Puddefoot were pretty limited players but they are both Rovers' legends- we have only had one Cup win since 1928 so why can't Jansen and Cole be legends as well?)

Edited by philipl

Matty has unbelievable skills- right up there just below McKenzie.

Agree

The two goals against the dingles at Ewood especially the second where he raced away from the half way line and comprehensively beat the keeper on his near post one-on-one.

(my bold. that's all)

The jink for Rovers' third at Burnden.

Burden? I'm not saying your wrong, because I am not that sure, but don't you mean the Reebok? I agree, he had great skills... not taking this point away from you, but this was First division football. He's had one proper season in the Premier League. And he was good for half of it.

Promotion winner at Deepdale.

Division one again.

That cracker against Norwich at Ewood.

Sure.

The League Cup semi-final hattrick against an Arsenal side which when you read the names who played that night now, you realise what a strong team we thrashed. 

Yes again.

A goal, the tackle to set-up Cole's winner and a marvelous all-round performance the last time we won silverware.

And again.

No shaddy, he's not a legend. rolleyes.gif

(I understand that Roscamp and Puddefoot were pretty limited players but they are both Rovers' legends- we have only had one Cup win since 1928 so why can't Jansen and Cole be legends as well?)

358245[/snapback]

I agree. Perhaps I was harsh on the legend status. Speedie is a Rovers legend, similarly for his promotion explotes.

However, my point is, everyone thinks that Jansen is more equiped than our other forwards to play in the Premier League. For a good portion of the 2001-2002, there was great disappointment in Jansen, as it looked like he couldn't match the level.

He changed all that in the last part of that season. He could have gone on and become more prolific the next season, but for an error of judgement he made. But how can all these Jansen admirers be so goddamn sure?

And I don't know why I am arguing this point, because seasons ending 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 have passed, and also now in 2006, we have yet to see Jansen show enough to two different managers (and others if you count loan spells), to show he's equiped for the premier league, if he ever was in the first place.

People talk about that he's been unlucky with injuries. I agree with Theno when he mentioned on another thread about an attribute of Neill that was in his favour, you are an asset to a Premier League club if you can perform at a reasonable level, without picking up too many injuries.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the pity he's been afforded. Call me a mean @#/?, but he screwed up, and the last two seasons where we were fishing around for a decent strikeforce, I blame him for a chunk of that. He's been way too costly for the club, and that is beyond his wages.

I don't want Rovers to be a charity. I thought, judging from the opinion of some on Yorke and other players of his ilk, that the Jansen admirers would agree with me.

358245[/snapback]

Just out of interest what was that team?

Jansen at his best vs Dickov at his best is a no brainer. Jansen has far more talent.

However, Jansen isn't at his best, and hasn't been for years. Dickov is currently a better option, and in far better form.

358220[/snapback]

I agree fully that Jansen is not at his best, but I wouldn't agree that Dickov is in far better form. For all the running Dickov does, I never notice anything else. That is all there is to his game. I have never really seen him perform oustandingly, just steadily average, whilst missing some opportunities that I doubt Jansen, or the majority of the team would miss

Don't get me wrong, I don't really feel sentimentally about Jansen anymore. I have accepted that he is past his best and that he hasn't got a future at the club, but nevertheless, I still believe him to be a better player than Dickov.

Due to Jansen's undoubtedly low confidence, Dickov might be a better option in the short term, but an in-form Jansen with games under his belt would be a far better option in the long term and might prevent the need to splash out on a new striker in January.

Edited by tcj_jones

All excellent points Shaddy. I just don't understand what the point of him staying at Rovers is. Fair enough he's on a pay as you play deal but what is the point if he's never going to play? In the few matches he has played over the last couple of years he seems to have a decent enough goals to games ratio so if he's fit I don't know why he isn't at least on the bench.

At the start of the season Hughes said he was looking good - maybe this may have been a ploy to boost his morale - but I don't understand why he hasn't been given a chance. IMO Dickov and Kuqi aren't good enough - decent enough as backup players but not 1st choice material. He must be at the club for a reason. I would just like to know if he is out through injury or not.

Jansen was the best forward we've had since Shearer imo (although Bellamy may soon take over that mantle). He was fantastic in the first division, and fantastic when paired with a decent partner (rather than the truely awful Grabbi) in the Prem.

Of course, none of us can say what he'd have done if he'd not had his accident, but I'm confident he'd have been brilliant.

Just out of interest what was that team?

358252[/snapback]

Just for you griz...............

(courtesy of soccerbase)

Arsenal : Taylor ,Tavlaridis (Halls ,82 ) ,Keown ,Upson ,Edu ,Grimandi ,Pennant (Aliadiere ,64 ) ,Inamoto (Stepanovs ,45 ) ,van Bronckhorst ,Wiltord ,Kanu

and Rovers : Friedel ,Curtis ,Johansson ,Martin Taylor ,Kenna ,Gillespie ,Dunn ,Tugay ,Duff (Mahon ,72 ) ,Hughes (Grabbi ,67 ) ,Jansen (Ostenstad ,72 )

One of Tug's best performances I seem to remember. And Dizzy ran riot against van Bronckhorst.

He had skills in abundance, However, for all bar a very short sliver of the period he was at Rovers (the time when Andy Cole was getting all the attention leaving Matty free to profit from less marking and Cole's flick-ons) he used those skills in much the same way Brett Emerton does now (running into the opposition and losing the ball), except with a touch of the Paul Dickov falling overs- thrown in.

There were more times that he looked like Bambi on ice than a world-beater.

Just for you griz...............

(courtesy of soccerbase)

Arsenal : Taylor ,Tavlaridis (Halls ,82 ) ,Keown ,Upson ,Edu ,Grimandi ,Pennant (Aliadiere ,64 ) ,Inamoto (Stepanovs ,45 ) ,van Bronckhorst ,Wiltord ,Kanu

oh man thanks for that reminder. i'd totally forgot what team arsenal played. that team isn't half bad. makes our win even more impressive. ah.. memories smile.gif

behave

Give him a chance - if he continues adnauseam on teh same topic then yes you can call him the new Vinjay - until then leave him be.

And how do you know hes a chav?

358230[/snapback]

oh shut up flopsy all you do is contribute crappy one and two lines replies, mr high and mighty.

While obviously im all for Matty being given fa chance in the Rovers side, (it is so frustrating watching Dickov play, run and moan thats all he seems to do), it's the old scenario of games and if he had a run of games. However, I do feel that he should start looking to play somewhere else. For his own confidence and career.

However I wonder how many of you on here knocking Jansen if he did eventually move on would start to criticise him for not showing loyalty to Rovers, moaning about how we stood by him and he asks to leave? Just a thought................. tongue.gif

old clip

old clip 2

old clip 3

old clip 4

okay so its for palace and doesnt mean much today but i couldnt find any rovers clips but do people not remember the preston game? the league cup final? IF he was at 75% he would have more talent in his ball sack then dickov has but it seems its a huge if. i just dont see why we kept him if were not going to use him.

EDIT - just realised he has more talent in his left nut alone.

Edited by rock steady

Jansen in his Rovers career has scored 0.31 goals per game for us, the majority of which were in a lower league. He cost us $4million plus I would guess another 5 or 6 million in wages. And he is a Saint.

@#/?, who so far has probably not yet cost us a million, has scored 0.28 goals per game, all at the top level, virtually all when playing as a lone striker. He will surpass Matty as a scorer of premier league goals for BRFC, at virtually the same goals per game ratio. Yes, he takes penalties but he wins most of them and has the balls to take them.

90% of the strike rate for 10% of the price.

The excuses trotted out for St. Matty are a joke. He didn't perform at the top level, despite having service from Duffer and Dunny, because of Grabbi. @#/? has service from the likes of Bert, Reid, and Savage, with no partner whatsoever, and sticks away nine. Matty alone won us promotion, despite the hindrance of being partnered by either Hughes or Bent, two of the most selfless forwards ever, and of course, the service and disruption to defenders from Duffer and Dunny.

Matty scores wonder goals - remember 3-1 up at Bolton and whatever we were up against the Dingles. Brilliant! @#/? however scores unmissable sitters against crap, demoralised teams like ManYoo at home and a much improved Bolton away, pathetically earning us points rather than showboating in games already won.

Dickov scores scruffy goals, not like St. Matty's goal in the cup final that, er, he mishit against a defender which then redirected the ball through the keepers legs as he fell the wrong way.

Who's got the most skill - Matty, but so what.

Who's done it at the top level in spite of crap players around him - @#/?

Who's been a great investment - @#/?

Interestingly enough, it seems Jansen, the longer he is out the better he was. Let's not forget but for promotion year and our first season back we have had nothing. For a long time when he first came many Rovers fan's despised him, including me. He had a break out year and I still hold a grudge against Erickson (never liked him anyway) for not taking Matty to Japan, he'd earned at least a squad slot and IMHO would have done a job for England that year. We lacked Matty's style big time.

Now let's look at this realistically and stop all this who's worth how many ###### stuff. Next year will be another World Cup and FOUR YEARS since Matty's tragic career ending bike accident. That's four years. Now here is the bottom line, Paul Dickov plays regular first team Premiership football. Matt Jansen does not. I think that just about sums it up. It's not what who HAD it's about who HAS, isn't it?

Edited by USABlue

He didn't perform at the top level

358486[/snapback]

Wow - you've really dredged up some venom there EiT but I must admit most of what you say is correct except for the part I quoted above.

Jansen did perform at the top level. For an admittedly very short space of time he was awesome and looked to be turning into a legend. Next news...Sven didn't take him (tord Grip wanted Matin Keown, who played 0 minutes, in Japan instead) and a moped ride too far meant the end of that. sad.gif

Dickov is surely better than Jansen now - why? Hughes picks him, Souness picked him; despite Souness raving about Jansen. They aren't going to cut off their noses to spite their own faces...Jansen just isnt up to being the Rovers striker anymore. Sad but true. unsure.gif

Mind...Bellamy has more skill than Jansen ever had. As much as we loves Matt wasy back in 2002, it's time to move on. Being a Rovers fan comes before being a Matt Jansen fan. rover.gif

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Mind...Bellamy has more skill than Jansen ever had. r:

358502[/snapback]

Is this the Chinese year of the football joke ?

Bellamy is not unskilful but Jansen in his pomp had tremendous skill, particularly with his back to goal and turning and twisting past defenders. Van Persie at Arsenal is very similar. Bellamy's great asset is pace, which Jansen never possessed.

Wow - you've really dredged up some venom there EiT but I must admit most of what you say is correct except for the part I quoted above.

358502[/snapback]

Actually, I wasn't saying that; I was referring to the Grabbi excuse used by Matt's apologists for him not perfoming in the first half season back in the prem.

Another thoght struck me. I can't think of a top flight sportsman taking 3+ years out and then coming back at anything like the same level. Even if Matty could cut it consistently, with whatever strike partner, three years is just too long out. Borg couldn't do it, Best couldn't do it, so why on earth could Matty. Look at Mario LeMeux - they are just embarrassing when they try to come back.

Incidentally, if Jansen had been given Bellamy's starting places this season, would he have scored 5 and made 3 in 8 appearances? Or would we be hearing about the difficulties in being partnered with the allegedly Grabbi-esque @#/? and Kuqi?

Good players never need excuses

Is this the Chinese year of the football joke ?

Bellamy is not unskilful but Jansen in his pomp had tremendous skill, particularly with his back to goal and turning and twisting past defenders. Van Persie at Arsenal is very similar. Bellamy's great asset is pace, which Jansen never possessed.

358508[/snapback]

Define skill. Jansen was great at holding the ball up but that hardly makes him Ronaldinho now does it?

Bellamy is assured on the ball, can not only control the ball but can move with it at pace and can also operate as the forward the opposition set out to target. Jansen was great...but Cole was the main striker during his best spell. If Bellamy reaches anywhere near his potential then he will easily be our best forward since Shearer.

It's a real shame that Cole and Jansen didn't build on that six or so months of 2001/2002.. Neither have been the same since.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.