BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

Define skill. .

358514[/snapback]

There are many skills in football. Tackling and heading are skills.

In Jansen's case, I would define it as his silky touch on the ball, which was rarely less than perfect. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the Chinese year of the football joke ?

I looked and this was the closest I could get...Ron Atkinson (that's the football bit covered) telling a joke (that's the Chinese bit);

"I can't understand why there is such a population problem in China as they have the best contraception going - Chinese women are the ugliest in the world."

Not very good I know...sorry. sad.gif

Best I could do unfortunately...I checked Google and everything. thumbs-up.gif

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Or would we be hearing about the difficulties in being partnered with the allegedly Grabbi-esque @#/? and Kuqi?

Good players never need excuses

358511[/snapback]

I think that would just about sum it up. Just like Matt's ineffectiveness earlier in the year was blamed on the 10 people behind him. Yes he was good, yes he was exciting to watch but it's all gone now. We all should really move on. The club and Matty more so than us. It's been almost 4 years, the footballing instincts are lost and that is what made Jansen good. It's a crying shame it really is but that is that.

You are right, good players never need excuses but blinkered fans do.

Edited by USABlue

Fine. Jansen was only a great Rovers player for a short period of time but it doesn't stop him being a Rovers legend. If the majority of fans consider him a legend then he is!!

Unfortunately, is not as reliable option for us up front than Dickov is at the moment.

Matt Jansen did do it in the top flight when fit. It aint all about scoring. His touch and build up play was/is immense. He cannot be bad when the fans still chants his name and worship him after all these years. All the memories...

2 against inbreds

League Cup final

Promotion race

He is a class apart on form and id a better player than Dickov and Kuqi. He needs a run of games. Hes the one who gets the fans going with his never say die attitude. If he does leave, I will still be a great fan, unless he moves to the scum, in which case he will not be forgived(well, he might be but i would be VERY upset) Rumour has it he has attracted the interest of PNE. He is a legend. And MGP will also be one, for their greatt attitudes and abilities to do something out of the blue. That is what makes a player a legend. And Matty is one. IDST

with 3-1 up and cruising jansen doesnt even get a run out, I think this says it all.  Maybe with derbyshire possibly coming back in January,jansen will be loaned out?

358680[/snapback]

I think it says it all that Jansen was named in the squad of 15 against Charlton. He still has a future at this club, at least for this season, but will need to bide his time. Kuqi came on today simply because he is the number three striker at the moment, but it is only a matter of time before Kuqi and Dickov do not show enough to warrant being ahead of Jansen, not being quality strikers who can keep the pace like Bellamy unfortunately, which will give Matty a chance that he needs to hold onto very tightly and capitalise on.

In all the years I've watched Rovers the accident to Matty was the biggest loss we have sustained to an injury ( and I go back further than Jimmy Kerr doing his knee, when Rovers were planning to build a team around him.)

His loss was incalcuable, the partnership with Cole was bringing goals all the time and the attacking football we were playing at the time was a delight to watch,he wasn't picked for the England squad for nothing.

I said at the time that losing Matty was a bigger loss than losing Damien Duff, both of them were good to watch but Matty scored more goals and played more games.

Having said all that it's nearly four years since the accident and Matty is still no nearer getting his real form back, even his biggest supporters, and I'm one, have started to acknowledge he may never play at the top level again. However

I'm sure but for injuries to two defenders yesterday he would have got a run out, probably subbing Bellamy, but tactics dictated otherwise.

In the case of Dickov versus Jansen, well it's no contest, the little Scot is not fit to lace Matty's boots- could you see Matty fluffing the one on one chance against Birmingham like Dickov did ( remember Bolton ?)

Matty will always be a legend at Ewood come what may , two other strikers never played at the top level for us but don't tell me that Speedie and Garner won't always be remembered whenever Blackburn Rovers are talked about.

At last someone talking sense.

He's not good enough for this team. He might have been if he'd continued the form of the last half season with Cole distracting everyone else. He always had fantastic skills, but like the chinese guy who can do all sorts of footie tricks (can't remember his name) they weren't suitable for team football.

Until that half season, when fortunately the much better player (Cole) took precedence, most of us on here were extremely frustrated by "bambi" as he was known's selfishness and lack of team ethos. He has become a legend because he was hurt (his own fault) just after that period. If he'd been hurt the year before, no-one would have cared, and certainly the moaning and tearing of garments that''s going on here would not have happened.

I didnt say he should or shouldnt but that he will.

By the way, I dont really think playing one game or coming off the bench a couple of games count as a real chance not taken.

I dont know, maybe my hearts talking.

Im sure Sparky will only give him a chance if he warrants it. Dont forget he did start a game not so long ago.

Until that half season, when fortunately the much better player (Cole) took precedence, most of us on here were extremely frustrated by "bambi" as he was known's selfishness and lack of team ethos.  He has become a legend because he was hurt (his own fault) just after that period.  If he'd been hurt the year before, no-one would have cared, and certainly the moaning and tearing of garments that''s going on here would not have happened.

358864[/snapback]

I personally think Matty's 'legendary status' owes as much to the 20 odd goals he got in the season we were promoted, or does that not count?

He's not good enough for this team.  He might have been if he'd continued the form of the last half season with Cole distracting everyone else.  He always had fantastic skills, but like the chinese guy who can do all sorts of footie tricks (can't remember his name) they weren't suitable for team football. 

358864[/snapback]

Surely if Jansen plays with Bellamy it will be a similar situation as it was with Cole? Or is that too simple?

Jansen is the 2nd best striker at the club, all he needs is a decent run in the team alongside Bellamy. I would be very excited to see those two together.

Jansen is the 2nd best striker at the club, all he needs is a decent run in the team

358902[/snapback]

Really? dry.gif

Can I request all those wise enough (and it looks to me that might involve age. Sorry, but I reckon being ageist is called for here), hopefully including myself, leave this thread to those that can't see past their noses on Jansen.

In terms of talent and skill he is 2nd only to Bellamy.

358910[/snapback]

You just don't get it do you.

I'm sure we've all played football with those quick, immensely skillfull players who can run rings round people all day, and have more football talent than players like Kuqi.

STILL DOESN'T MAKE THEM GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE PREMIER LEAGUE.

Jansen isn't good enough. Do you really think you are seeing something Hughes isn't? If so your a grade A fool.

Jansen not good enough for the Premier League? Remember his debut? If I remember correctly it was at home to Spurs. The ball was played up to him on the edge of the box. He controlled it with one touch, held off Sol Campbell turned and volleyed it into the net. It was a goal of supreme skill and the sort of strike that Dickov can only dream of. And just to prove it was not a fluke he scored an almost identical goal against Liverpool.

He should have gone to Japan with England in the world cup as his performance that season deserved it. However Sven had a last minute change of mind and took Keown instead! Then we all know what happened to Matt after that.

Jansen had more talent and natural ability than Dickov ever will have (note I said had), and I am sure Dickov would agree with that. He doesn’t pretend to be anything else than a hardworking player who knows his own limitations but still gives 100% every game.

Dickov is the second best striker we have at the club at the moment IMO and is certainly worth his place in the side, but anyone who thinks ability wise he could match Jansen our deluded. And sadly the people who think that Jansen can rekindle the form he had are equally deluded.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.