BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 - 0 spurs match review

I came off disappointed last night as I thought the game was there for the taking until Neill was sent off.

We dominated possession throughout but failed to convert that possession into chances. To be honest, we only really looked threatening at set-pieces but too many of those were wasted with poor deliveries.

Tottenham lacked any ambition whatsoever, stringing two banks of four across their defence and never, ever breaking out until we were down to 10 men. We didn't have enough guile or quality to break them down.

I thought Savage and Tugay played well in midfield, Kuqi ran his socks off up front but lost control of the ball too often, and our defence will probably never get an easier night all season.

Neill, like so many of our players over the last year or so, needs his head examining for what was a totally mindless "challenge" for someone on a booking to make. I didn't see the Todd incident live but, from the quick TV replay I saw, Reid stamped on Todd's foot and Todd certainly didn't headbutt him. Their heads came together but their was no butt - just theatrics from Reid who should be the one to get punished ahead of Todd.

Still, Hughes has to sort out our discipline quickly as it's starting to get ridiculous now.. To have 2 players sent off in the first three games for stupid tackles beggars belief after all our negative publicity last season.

Edited by Scotty

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had all the quality play last night. As everyone has said, Kuqi is no Lineker in the box is he...but bless him he tries really hard.

Swap Kuqi for Bellamy last night and we would have won easily for me.

Whatever happened to Robbie Keane? He was captain last night and didn`t touch the ball all match!

Top marks for both sets of supporters too-BBE impressed me in the Darwen End, and even the Riverside woke up.

Spurs fans were great too, probably 4000 all of whom got behind their team.

Another reasonably enjoyable night at Ewood...who`d of thought it!

Funny line from the letters section of F365 regarding our discipline "problem":

"I'm surprised Blackburn Rovers don't run out of the tunnel in hoodies pulled low over their faces and waving sticks with nails in them"

Knew I forgot something. Over the last two games there seems to be a determined effort for the players to acknowledge the crowd rather than just trooping off.

Keep it up lads, it can only be positive smile.gif

All this media hype about our bully boy stuff will not go away. We could play 20 games without a yellow and then the first one we get the press would be all over it.

All because we dared to challenge the two Media darlings, Arse and Chelsea to play a mans game. The game is becoming one for pansys, still that's what a lot of them are isn't it, foreign pansys who flop, whine, and cry and cheat, personally I am growing tired of it.

Having listened in the pub on a hand held radio to talk sport, you would have thought lucas neill had done a roy keane on davids. The description of what seemed to be a normal late challange in todays game and worth a yellow, was turned into something that Lucas could have faced a life ban for on talk sport. Not to mention the fact they said we were "kicking lumps out of robinson" which there was no mention from on MOTD. I have to say i was for once very impressed with the fair look from MOTD but disgusted at the totally anti-rovers sentiment shown on the radio.

Frankly I was absolutely amazed by the drivel served up on the Talk Sport phone in on the way home last night. The two clowns Durham and Martin were way over the top with the criticism "having watched bits of the game on the studio monitors" and at one stage were demanding points deductions! To be fair to the Spurs fans who came on, they wanted to talk about Jol's rather odd selection, but tweedle dum and tweedle dee tried at every opportunity to bring dirty Rovers in to the conversation, when the Spurs fans knew full well that they had been played off the park. Durham seemed to think that the three "star" players had been rested to prevent them receiving a kicking before they played Chelsea at the weekend........

I would urge all Rovers fans to boycott this two-bit Radio station; this criticism has only got worse since the Chelsea game earlier this year and the likes of Graham Beecroft and Adrian Durham are third-rate chancers just out to whip up a bit of controversy Rodney Marsh style (who is now a permanent on the station)

I have read all the post match snippets and I have to say there is good and tripe amongst them.

I like scotty was very disappointed that we didnt take all 3 points.

It was a game we dominated and I doubt very much that Spurs will suffer such domination throughout the rest of the season.

Rovers are NOT the same team as last season JOHN. This Rovers team is well organised, is fit, is not afraid to put the foot in, is not afraid to put the head or any other part of the body in, is a team that will fight until the last second, is a team based on basic footballing skills, is a team that has a high morale and is a team that is TOTALLY different to that of one Sourness.

Rovers are a totally different prospect and they will be a team that the big boys will not want to face.

Granted, with Kuqi alone up front we will struggle but we are still making chances.

Once the injury front eases and the team sort out the silly rash tackles Rovers will move onwards and upwards.

4 Points so far is good. A result at Villa will boost us no end with the break coming up.

If you want to witness a different Rovers, all of you who contemplate going take the plunge, you will see a very very well organised outfit.

tinykit.giftinykit.giftinykit.giftinykit.gif

Same failings as last season. Someone who can score up front. We were fit and organised at the end of last season under Hughes I thought.

Maybe too early to judge, but that's the way it seems at the moment.

Edited by John

......best chance of the night when he floasted the ball to the back post only for Nelsen and Todd to miss from 2 yards

341671[/snapback]

I honeslty thought that was Rover's only real chance, would loved to have seen Nelsen put it in.

Kuqi's chance I thought would have been scored by a better quality striker (i.e - Bellmay) needed a better first touch..

Still was happy with the performance from what I saw.. Nice free flowing football.

Hopefully more to come! rover.gif

I hope the Spurs enigma is over now.. Same mediocre team with one new over the hill past superstar....

All you lot who are badmouthing Dickov should remember we'd have gone down without him last season, he was getting an arse licking every week 'til he got injured, and he had 2 in 4 last season, more than Kuqi will get in 10 games.

Great performence, need another striker.

Very good performance from the lads last night, and the type of game where you can only appreciate how well we played by being at the game, rather than watching it on tv or catching the highlights. Entertaining match, c'mon rovers fans your missing out on not being at Ewood! tinykit.gif

We played exactly as i hoped, dominated the mid-feild and had a high tempo approach that thfc struggled with throughout the game. We had many chances to win, savage, Kuqi, mgp and Emerton all with good opportunites to score! Jol basically got it wrong by thinking we are a third rate team who you can just term up and win at with a weakened team. Dont think so Jol, we shoulda got at least 1 pen the 1 on Kuqi in particuler!

As for the sending off, the replay shows he had to go. I was sitting the bbe lower and so obviously i was behind the action, and it looked like he clearly took the ball and i was furious when he was sent off.

Finally, a superb travelling support in numbers by spurs, all of 4,000 there, but i did expect more noise form them to be honest. On the other hand, the BBE was in superb voice for most of the match. Especially in the second half, it was noisy and dare i say it, passionate!! rover.gif

Role on Villa on saturday and a result there will see us into the break in very good stead!

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.