BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 - 0 spurs match review

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A stab in ther dark for both teams imo.  So i'll have one too.

Hughes will select a 4-5-1 starting formation with Kuqi up front battling with the Spurs giants with the aim of frustrating them and Dickov playing an attacking midfield / support role.  Conceding territory for 60 mins whilst maintaining a clean sheet would hopefully leave spurs open to Bellamy's intro in the second half. 

338158[/snapback]

Dickov playing? Bellamy's intro? That alone should be enough to stop me making any more predictions in the future! sad.gif

Davids not only played for Spurs today but was named man of the match in one report I read. Even though it's at home, I have a feeling Sparky will stick with 4-5-1 this match to try to stifle their midfield and cut off the supply to the forwards, who are both (Defoe and Mido) in dazzling form right now from all accounts.

Well as Alan Hanson pointed out last night, Spurs did not play well yesterday and were very lucky especially with one flukey goal which went through the keepers arms.And Boro missed 2 or 3 great chances. They beat Pompey the week before but so did West Brom !

Spurs are a good side but it will take time for them to gell, i said i would be happy with a draw yesterday but that was before i saw the spurs performance.

THEY ARE THERE FOR THE TAKING!

If Mokoenna is fit and Jansen isnt...

Friedel

Neill Todd Nelsen Matteo

Mokoenna

Emerton Reid Svage Pedersen

Kuqi

subs...encks, tugay, gresko, gallagher, Johnson

If hes not and jansen is...

Friedel

Neill Todd Nelsen Matteo

Emerton Tugay Savage Pedersen

Jansen Kuqi

Subs...encks, reid, gresko, gallagher, Flitcroft

If they are both fit, formation 1 with Jansen on bench ready to revert to 4-4-2 if needed

If they are both injured...

Friedel

Neill Todd Nelsen Matteo

Flitcroft

Kuqi

THATS CONFUSED EVERYONE. Im a tactical genius....but seriously i think this is a game that wont be right for Tugay. Mark Hughes was saying this and i think he was mainly hinting at away games, but i think Spurs are gonna be tough, Davids and Carrick will get better as the game goes on and i think we need a presence like Mokoenna or even flitcroft in there. Likewise if we play 4-4-2 id have Tugay in for Reid but hes gonna have a tough night!

Spurs view: haven't seen anything more than the highlights of your last match but it looks like you played very well. We've got an awful lot of injuries already but having invested in a number of decent young players we should be able to put out a good side.

So much will depend upon how Davids & Savage works out - I can see Davids or Tainio picking up a red card easily. We've not been entirely convincing in picking up the first two wins but there is still enough class up front for us to be confident of getting a result round your way.

So. 1-1 I reckon - we'll have a back-up CB pairing playing that could be exposed plus our midfield might get sucked in to some spiteful battles. It's going to be a really tight game.....if it stays at 11 vs 11!

If Mokoenna is fit and Jansen isnt...

Friedel

Neill  Todd Nelsen  Matteo

Mokoenna

Emerton  Reid  Svage  Pedersen

Kuqi

subs...encks, tugay, gresko, gallagher, Johnson

If hes not and jansen is...

Friedel

Neill Todd Nelsen Matteo

Jansen Kuqi

Subs...encks, reid, gresko, gallagher, Flitcroft

If they are both fit, formation 1 with Jansen on bench ready to revert to 4-4-2 if needed

If they are both injured...

Friedel

Neill  Todd  Nelsen  Matteo

Flitcroft

Emerton  Tugay  Savage  Pedersen

Kuqi

What's Reid done to deserved to be dropped? Emerton should be the 1st player to be out of the team after yesterdays performance. Also Flitcroft isn't up to the PL anymore.

Spurs view: haven't seen anything more than the highlights of your last match but it looks like you played very well. We've got an awful lot of injuries already but having invested in a number of decent young players we should be able to put out a good side.

So much will depend upon how Davids & Savage works out - I can see Davids or Tainio picking up a red card easily. We've not been entirely convincing in picking up the first two wins but there is still enough class up front for us to be confident of getting a result round your way.

So. 1-1 I reckon - we'll have a back-up CB pairing playing that could be exposed plus our midfield might get sucked in to some spiteful battles. It's going to be a really tight game.....if it stays at 11 vs 11!

340650[/snapback]

Cheers for that view of Spurs, leffe. If Spurs are serious about challenging for Europe this year, a prime time match against physical Rovers should prove a different test than either Pompey or Boro.

It'll be interesting to see if Hughes sticks with Tugay, or whether he tries to tighten up the midfield a bit more. I'm looking forward to watching this one live.

Hopefully it will be a good gaem for Rovers, it will certainatly be a test for them.

Defoe will be a handful and Mido has some class in his game so i hope our defenders are up to the challenge.

Tottenham are now a quality team with great passing players. Got to go 4-5-1 again to prevent them contolling possession, and allow us to take control. No point reverting back to 4-4-2 and getting dominated. Got to play Tugay, Cant run but only player that can pass, Emerton Sav Reid n Pedersen will do the running for him. Same team as last time apart from Gresko at LB. Got to play Gresko now, especially at home. This will be a very tough test.

I reckon this is the team Hughes will plump for if Bellamy is out but the Axe is back. Emerton has to be dropped:

Freidel

'Cafu'    Todd      Admiral  Matteo

Axe

Tugay    Savage

Reid                            Pedersen

Kuqi

Bench: Encks, Emerton, Flitcroft, Gallagher, Gresko/Johnson

Personally I would be tempted to just do a straight swap on the right for Gallagher, but I think Hughes is more likely to go for the above.

I think Spurs have an excellent team this season which is better or equal to our side in every position except left midfield and Nelsen's half of the centrebacks.

Anyway, I would be happy with a point but a win is not out of the question as Spurs have a habit of self destructing.

Crucial game, the result could set the tone for the season. When the fixtures came out I really thought we should have been looking at 7 points from the first 3 games.

Win and it's a very good start. Draw and it's an average start and lose and it's a poor start given the fixtures.

Desperately hoping for 3 points but think Spurs are finally a decent outfit under Jol.

Reluctantly tending towards a draw, 1-1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.