BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 - 0 spurs match review

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see the point in resting players against weaker opposition as long as the reward for a win is the same. If they were clever they would put out the strongest team against us to be sure of the three points, rather than gamling on being able to beat Chelsea. Thats what I would do anyway....

I dont see the point in resting players against weaker opposition as long as the reward for a win is the same. If they were clever they would put out the strongest team against us to be sure of the three points, rather than gamling on being able to beat Chelsea. Thats what I would do anyway....

341115[/snapback]

We're debating this at the moment. The problem is that we have a lot of players either injured or returning from injury - for example there's still a (very unlikely) possibility that Ledley might make a return against either yourselves or Chelsea.

I think BMJ will be tempted to play Keane & Mido - not so much to rest players but he needs to keep everyone happy and they were scintillating in the first half against Lyon. Keane is coming back from injury but looked excellent when he replaced Defoe on Saturday.

We now have a very large squad and it's obvious that it's not a question of resting players against weaker opposition in the Premiership nowadays as everyone can beat everyone, certainly in the middle & lower echelons (where we both are, frankly). I expect Mido & Keane to play.

Even with 6 out, that leaves Spurs with England's number 1 Robinson in goal (and 3 back ups), Naybet, Edman, Gardner, Bunjevcevic and six other uninjured defenders named in the first team squad. Then Davids, Mendes, Ziegler, Carrick, Tainio, Lennon and three other uninjured midfielders and a choice between Mido, Keane and Defoe upfront (with two others to fall back on who are not injured).

Really does look like a Champions League outfit without the Champions League credentials.

We'll stuff them!

Well its does not matter if they play or not, the fact is they are both in the squad and that site is giving out wrong infomation which is clearly someone in the background with no official knowledge on clubs injuries.

If you want to find out who is injured or not go on google, type that clubs name in and have a look on their official site

I think this could be a really good game, and i think playing the same formation of 4-5-1 is would be clever in this game. We must get on top of them early and not allow them to settle and pass around us. We must be quick and attack with pace, similar to the first 15 against Fulham. Should be a good game with Spurs bringing 4,000+ which really is a tremendous effort.

Rovers 2-2 Spurs

Kuqi and Emerton, in front of 21,000ish rover.gif

Having seen the teething problems that Davids and Carrick are having in their fledgling partnership, coupled with our absent strikers, playing five across the middle is a must for us and I think it would be ideal for Tugay to make his mark again. We all saw on Saturday what the man can do given a bit of time and space and it seems to me that we should exploit Spurs' communication problems while we can. Tugay is also our most inventive player and he's a more likely outlet for creating a goal than Emerton, Reid, Savage or Mokoena, so that only leaves Pedersen higher up in the pecking order as far as tomorrow night is concerned.

Besides, it's Tugay's birthday tomorrow and what could be better (aside from another 3 points) than to serenade him with a rousing chorus of "Happy birthday to you..."?

I wonder if Flitty may come in for Tugay to look after Davids, I think Hughes will stick with 4-5-1. Sorry but I can't see spuds not scoring so I will go for 1-1 , Kuqi and Mido. Well done to Spurs fans - 3K plus mid week to East Lancs - great support..

I see the comments after the game now:

"Tugay was playing with his invisible friend again. he is past it"

" we need another striker, Kuqi is not Prem class"

" Reid doesn't do anything from the centre, cant pass"

Seriously though, hope we can stuff them. Living down in London means you have to put with Spurs fans thinking they are going to win the league, if not this year next.

They do have a quality squad but I am hoping we can take them at home.

Come on boys lets take our game to another level.......

Edited by John

Hmm, not a good night for Prem clubs at home. Liverpool through despite a pretty rubbish performance losing 0-1, Brum tonked at St andrews by Boro (what a shame for the BIG CLUB run by LOYAL s Bruce) and Pompey only managing a 1-1 despite Villa having solarno straight redded (won't be playing us on Saturday then).

Oh and Sunderland lost at home making that 18 STRAIGHT Premiership defeats. Impressive!

Rovers to stick up for home wins tomorrow say I!

Having seen the teething problems that Davids and Carrick are having in their fledgling partnership, coupled with our absent strikers, playing five across the middle is a must for us and I think it would be ideal for Tugay to make his mark again.  We all saw on Saturday what the man can do given a bit of time and space and it seems to me that we should exploit Spurs' communication problems while we can.  Tugay is also our most inventive player and he's a more likely outlet for creating a goal than Emerton, Reid, Savage or Mokoena, so that only leaves Pedersen higher up in the pecking order as far as tomorrow night is concerned.

Besides, it's Tugay's birthday tomorrow and what could be better (aside from another 3 points) than to serenade him with a rousing chorus of "Happy birthday to you..."?

341215[/snapback]

Agree with Mr Sidders' tactical chatter here. And giving Tugs a song as well. rolleyes.gif Even if Spurs midfield hasn't quite clicked yet, I think they are the sort of team that playing five across the middle is suited to. Spoiler tactics it may be, but I'll accept that if we can get out of there with a point.

despite Villa having solarno straight redded (won't be playing us on Saturday then)

I thought red card suspensions came into effect on the 7th day after the dismissal - no doubt members on here will correct me if I am wrong.

despite Villa having solarno straight redded (won't be playing us on Saturday then)

I thought red card suspensions came into effect on the 7th day after the dismissal - no doubt members on here will correct me if I am wrong.

341265[/snapback]

Looked it up- you are right that Solano will be availsable against us.

Overwhelming view of pundits is that Spurs will win a tight match against us. Still feeling optimistic for our chances but all rationality points to us having to be at our best to get anything out of the game.

Here's hoping for more good reasons for the stay aways to feel sick that they missed a treat.

For a number of seasons now, Spurs have talked about being a big club, with big ambitions, but they never won or qualified for anything. Under Martin Jol though, they have ben playing very good football and recently have bought in some class players, like Defoe, Davids, Mido, Carrick and Robinson. They are starting to look like a team who can challenge for Europe.

We have always been evenly matched with Spurs and hopefully we will win tonight. We are at home, we had a good win on Saturday, we should have a lot of confidence from the win and Spurs are missing a lot of players. Hughes will probably stick with the same lineup from Saturday, mainly because we won with it, but also because we don't have many other options.

Rovers to win 2-1, with Reid and Kuqi scoring.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.