BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football - A Bit Crap Really

Why do I feel utterly disconnected from every player who wears blue and white?

Spot on Paul, I sympathise with that point entirely....the modern football team is comprised of nothing more than mercenaries who hardly harbour an interest in their respective club's outside of their bulging pay packets,let alone the fan's.

They seem completely detached from reality on all level's.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an excellent article and I feel sums up much of my view of football these days. I've probably been saying much of this, less articulately, for a couple of years.

If this isn't true why don't I feel excited about the first home match?

Why is football something I do as part of the routine?

Why has football stopped dominating the week-ends plans?

Why do I go to bed rather than watch MOTD?

Why don't I bother to watch Rovers on Sky anymore?

Why was the only reason I renewed my STs because the kids wanted to go?

Sky, the players, the agents have destroyed the game and the FA, PL chairmen and clubs were to weak to stop them. Give me Simon Garner over Craig Bellamy any day....I'd sooner watch the youngsters than the overpaid, idle bunch we will put out on Saturday afternoon.

339997[/snapback]

And with that post Paul you put yourself in for post of the year.

Great stuff.

rover.gif made me smile when posters are justifying rovers poor gates,because we are the leaders in realizing footie fans are being ripped off tongue.gif our poor gates are down to more than that,i have a season ticket for £250 no one can argue that is not value for money,it's more to do with the state off our town,40%asian 50%of our under 30's dabbling in class A drugs tinykit.gif

it's more to do with the state off our town,40%asian 50%of our under 30's dabbling in class A drugs tinykit.gif

340023[/snapback]

Are you a member of the BNP? Cause they really grind my gears.

And to Paul, fair enough you say all that but your still on this Blackburn Rovers message board and if there was no Football you'd have to do work round the house. The weekend would turn into one giant Sunday afternoon! I for one love Football and hate Cricket but I do agree with the wages and tickets getting out of control. Although I currently only pay 250 for my S/T as i'm a tax dodging student.

Are you a member of the BNP? Cause they really grind my gears.

rover.gif voted labour all my life.is there somethink wrong with stating 40%off blackburn's population is off asian origin,and they do not support there local team tinykit.gif

rover.gif voted labour all my life.is there somethink wrong with stating 40%off blackburn's population is off asian origin,and they do not support there local team tinykit.gif

340027[/snapback]

True they don't but when i've seen some of the treatment they get when they are near ewood park after a game i'm not surprised. In one instance I saw a young chav group of rovers fans start kicking a car and yelling "f*****g pack**s". I wouldn't be surprised if they hope we crash and burn.

Edited by promoted2001

the sad fact is that the fans are expected to care about the club anf give everthing for it while clubs feels little for its fans expect as a money machine.

In the past players have stated that its a short time span tp earn mnoey well at between 15,000- 100,000k a week you do not have to work long to be well off for life.

AS for me ( and this is where I will get some stick) I watch sport on sky and the key word is sport yes its help to pay for big wages. but its the only way I can afford to watch big sporting events

as for blackburn rovers hope there do well we live in hope

If this isn't true why don't I feel excited about the first home match?

Why is football something I do as part of the routine?

Why has football stopped dominating the week-ends plans?

Why do I go to bed rather than watch MOTD?

Why don't I bother to watch Rovers on Sky anymore?

Why was the only reason I renewed my STs because the kids wanted to go?

339997[/snapback]

It's called 'getting old'.

By the way, is Paul your real name or is it Victor (Meldew) biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Don't listen to him Paul.

Anyway, there are many reasons why our gates are down, we've done them all to death before, but another one and perhaps the main one (?) is that this club has been incredibly successful in it's recent history. We won the league and were competing right up there with the best in the country nigh on ten years ago. We were top of the league Christmas 97 (I'll not mention being top of the league after the Wolves 5-1)

Since then we've been constantly reminded that we're not the club that we were when Uncle Jack (RIP) was here. (If the club is short of money from The Trust - then what else are they doing about it? Are the Board happy with the squad or are they just board? I refuse to believe that Hughes is happy with it).

So when you've been Champions, targeted and signed the best players in England and scored goals for fun - plus all the rest of it - it's hardly surprising that people don't want to watch to what amounts as second tier stuff. 10 years of champagne - then back to Skol anyone?

As for me? Well despite my posts here I'm clearly an idiot. I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow and I'll be at every home match this season. Away matches? I wish I could get to more but I can't - money is a big factor (there's a shocker).

laugh.gif

10 years of champagne - then back to Skol anyone?

340056[/snapback]

Ironic that Bob. We were talking at work the other day about what the worst alcohol was and Skol was mentioned. I always liked to sneak 4 cans of the amber nectar along with 4 cans of Stones to barbecues and revel in drinking the host's Stella.

Now that I'm totally and utterly off topic I'd like to stress that in my opinion the worst alcohol bar none is Ace lager.

I'd like to stress that in my opinion the worst alcohol bar none is Ace lager.

340069[/snapback]

Nowt wrong with 8Ace.

That Tuborg was pretty dire wasn't it? Or what about that Thwaites stuff that used to come in blue cans? Gnat's something or other it was called.

Anyway, it's off topic. Football, grumble, grumble, etc

That Tuborg was pretty dire wasn't it?

340074[/snapback]

Nothing wrong with the old Tuborg Bobf but what's this 'Ace' lager - never heard/had of.

To me Double Diamond has to have been one one of i f not the worst.

Anyway back to the thread- good post Bobf and entirely true -but as I have said previously, there are many contributing factors which unfortunately to Rovers have all snowballed together.

Surprisingly, I am also looking forward to tomorrow as well - why I have no idea after last week, but probably because it has something to do with being our first home game - no doubt my attitude will change after the game and I can see a sub 16k crowd - in fact the worst in the Premier this season.

That Tuborg was pretty dire wasn't it?

340074[/snapback]

Blimey! Forgot about Tuborg, that stuff was rotten. They used to sell it in Daniel's when Daniel's was the 1st pub on a night out. Problem was if you sampled the Tuborg you were home early doors and didn't even darken the doors of Peppermint Place.

One thing that always puzzled me, why did people call it the cav when they weren't old enough to have ever been to the place?

Anyway, I digress, Rovers tomorrow, marvellous. Ewood club 1:30pm k.o. just hope the cheeky blighters haven't put the price of Kronenbourg up.

My main hope though is that they haven't got the same bar staff in the ground as they had on the first day of last season. Remember the recruitment of all the African blokes who couldn't add up? Made the queueing up even more soul destroying.

Great article. Football fans are idiots, true, it doesn't take a scientist to realize that. Look at the "real" Man U fans setting up their own club because their publicly traded business was taken over. They are fuming over a legitimate business transaction. Why didn't they start the breakaway club when Man U went public years ago? Could it be that they started winning trophies? That is a separate argument, but still shows a fantastic amount of stupidity.

Fans will always go to games. The point about price inelasticity is correct. Football is now treated as a busines primarily among club officials (not fans though) and economic principles should be applied to it. The wages that people complain about arise out of finite resources. There is only one Rio Ferdinand (not the song) so he can charge what the market is willing to pay. This will continue unless revenue dries up. The footballers themselves don't care how much they are getting paid; their agents do. Most footballers only know what day it is because someone tells them, but we would all gladly take their jobs in a heartbeat. Someone also made a point that not even one of us would refuse a silly pay raise from work on the principles of fairness to the customers and loyalty to the firm, to help them attract better employees. Why do fans expect players to do likewise?

The old timers complain that it used to be 10p to watch in the 70's and you could stand. Unforuntately for them society has changed greatly since the heady days of the "swinging 70's". It is now 2005, gone are the 3 day weeks, power blackouts, general strikes, and for football the rampant hooligansim at games. Reminiscing is great but the fact is that Britain is a lot better off now than it was 30 years ago, people have more money to spend, football grounds are safer, the demographic that attends games is also changing. I remember games at Ewood as a youngster looking through the fences to see what was going on. I was more fascinated by them than the game itself; it was imposing. Not now though, you can easily take your wife and kids. Football is a reflection of society, purely and simply.

In BRFC's specific case the whole club has suffered with massive fluctuations in the last 15 years. Division 2 play off hopefuls surviving on 8,000 a week to near relegation to the old old Division 3, followed by a 5 year climb to the very top that no-one expected. A drop off, relegation, consolidation, another promotion, and now consolidation. Last years bout of severe unimaginative football to keep us up is a short term argument for fan loss. Rovers should be packed to the rafters every week with the local mentality. Born complainers should have a field day at Ewood right now; crap football, no-one likes us, we have a collection of very unliked players. Great fodder.

The solutions are not simple and when they do arise they should help all clubs. The Euro Super League sounds good for the chosen few, but that wouldn't last long as not all the G14 would survive. Internal competition is the lifeblood of football.

I believe with some in the possible adoption of the American Football system of equal revenue sharing. All teams in the league get the same amount of cash. For example: all Prem teams get £10, Champ £5, League 1, £4, League 2, £3. The big boys though would not doubt laugh it out of discussion and the FA would wilt as, rightly stated, their balls are in the grip of the big boys.

As for dodgy lager; Carling Premier was awful. It looked good but all those chemicals in it made it taste like dishwater.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.