BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football - A Bit Crap Really

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking that was long as Flintoff and co. outperform Sven's bunch of under-achieving numpties on the world stage, cricket will have the upper hand in many hearts of people throughout England.

Everyone loves a winner.

Footballs fooked. Is anybody really surprised by this Evertonians view? All that tells me is that it was great when Moores made them the millionaires club just as it was great for us when Jack did and now its a great time to be a Chelsea fan.

As most on here know already, even when we were top dog I always knew that we would find our own level again eventually unless we found a permanent way of going from strength to strength. History nearly always repeats itself.

Why should Cahill display die hard loyalty anyway? He's not from the blue half of Everton is he? Money means that players play for the highest bidder, they are modern day gunslingers / mercenaries. If the money dries up then off they go. Whats wrong with that when put in the concept of us all with our everyday income sources? Gone are the days when Celtic won the European Cup in a proper Champions knock-out mannner with 9 Glaswegians in the team. Why do we expect anything else? Unless we are as thick as we think the the footballers themseleves are! Loyalty only works one way. And loyalty sucks anyway, who for instance on here doesn't think Matt Le Tissier should have moved on for the sake of his own career and his International one?

Football is not on its own. Heavyweight boxing was awesome until the last 20 odd years, Formula 1 GP racing likewise. Now money has made them all one big yawn. They are a turn off.

I cannot see the situation changing in footy either. Who on here would rather see Rovers lose 5-6 than get a point with a 0-0? No-one thats who, and until that changes we are on the same old treadmill.

Still what else would we talk about?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the current cricket mania is a temporary fad and football for all it's many current faults is firmly back as number one by next summer's world cup.

342135[/snapback]

Crickets OK but its not as good as the real thing is it?

And the real thing is playing, rather than watching.

Unfortunately, my playing days are drawing to a close, but one thing for sure is, I will never pay to see over inflated egos playing any sport. I'd sooner watch the local guys, at whatever grade, running around, doing their best and enjoying themselves.

One of the best games of footy I saw was one of my club's teams playing with eight (8) men winning a game against 11 + subs, when the other team were top of the comp. The 30 -40 people watching cheered them off the ground for their efforts.

Why watch when you can play.

You should have studied for an HND in Cricketology , Andy ....(In fact I bet you can these days ...) ohmy.gif

343625[/snapback]

Not yet. However, from what i understand (its on the hush hush atm) my Uni (Leeds Met) will be running a course based on Rugby League, as part of their tie in with the Rhinos.

unsure.gif

Cricket's just a fad? Of course, everyone WILL revert to watching football after the Ashes series. Probably because the English season will be over not long afterwards.

Cricket's too hard to understand? Too hard? Are you sure?

344237[/snapback]

A few things confuse me:

Number of players on pitch/subsitiutions

Colour of kit (white or multicoloured)

Draws etc, and declaring. Can you not be beat if you declare? But the otther team can draw?

Is there a set pitch size or do they just lay a rope down?

Why dont they play in the rain? poofters aye?

and the hardest one of all. When does the game actually finish?

Ive never really paid attention to the 'boring game' till i got a freebie at Headingley. I saw it as less of a game and more of a shambolic excuse to get drunk on free beer. In fact i think, along with most of the ground, i spent more time in the concourse.

A few things confuse me:

Number of players on pitch/subsitiutions

Colour of kit (white or multicoloured)

Draws etc, and declaring. Can you not be beat if you declare? But the otther team can draw?

Is there a set pitch size or do they just lay a rope down?

Why dont they play in the rain? poofters aye?

and the hardest one of all. When does the game actually finish?

Ive never really paid attention to the 'boring game' till i got a freebie at Headingley. I saw it as less of a game and more of a shambolic excuse to get drunk on free beer. In fact i think, along with most of the ground, i spent more time in the concourse.

344246[/snapback]

You're not trying pal. Football is a lot more difficult to understand. Ever tried explaining the offside rule to a non football fan. Apart from learning the field placings cricket is a pretty simple game really. You defend your wicket and try to knock the ball far enough to run 22 yards before it is retrieved.

Aim of the game - to score more runs than the opposition at teh close of play. In a 4 or 5 day game both sides should have finished their innings in the set time (4 or 5 days) for a positive result.

In one day games each team has a set number of overs - 50, 45 or 20 per innings you play those and the most runs win

kit - White for longer than one day games

Pyjamas for one day games

Declaration - batting team declares at a score that they believe is a total either unattainable by the opposition or high enough that the opposition wont get a decent lead. And yes you can lose if you declare

You can play in teh wet because you try catching a hard leather ball travelling at 80mph thats wet, also water damages the ball.

Not yet. However, from what i understand (its on the hush hush atm) my Uni (Leeds Met) will be running a course based on Rugby League, as part of their tie in with the Rhinos.

unsure.gif

344225[/snapback]

Bloody hell . Just a day later and it's on the news that LCC and Myerscough College are offering some course on Cricket . Wonderful news . Should boost New Labour's targets in the educational sphere ... rolleyes.gif

Ive just worked out i could go and see 1fck (my hometown team) and it would cost me £2.50 on a student ticket. Thats to see players like Carsten Jancker, Ciccy Sforza and Mario Engelhardt, all of which would walk into our team. ohmy.gif

I had to laugh at the dewy eyed,deluded,cringe worthy sight of 20,000+ delirious Geordies hailing Michael Owen like some sort of Caesar at their St James's coliseum.....all this for a 25 year old who has probably gambled away more than most will earn in a lifetime.

......Football really is a load of @#/? these days.

• 5 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.