SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa 1 Blackburn Rovers 0

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a blow.

Looks like the defence will have to get a major re-arrangement.

Can see Gresko in for Matteo who moves to center back, where his better position may lie, and Taylor possibly coming in for Neill.

Unless Sparky moves one of Reid or Emerton to right back and replaces them with Mokoena in the center.

I'm not very confident about this one. We are missing some players, discipline is a problem and Aston Villa look like a decent side, especially now that they have signed Milan Baros. I can see him scoring on his debut. The big question is who will play right back? Mokoena, Taylor or Reid? Emerton seems to be getting a lot of flack, but what I've seen of him this season, I think that he has looked quite good. He and Neill have being playing well down the right, but unfortunatley this won't happen tomorrow. I hope that Rovers prove me wrong and win 2-1.

Neill suspended for 3 matches?????

Just read that on Teamtalk. I thought it was 1 for the double yellow!?!?

That would be a huge blow.

341941[/snapback]

looking at official site, Rovers confirming its a one match ban

Edited by greggyk

I think Hughes will play;

He will play……

---------------------------FRIEDEL--------------------------

REID----------NELSEN------------- MATTEO------------GRESKO

--------------------------MOKOENA--------------------------

EMERTON---- -TUGAY---------------SAVAGE-----------PEDERSEN

---------------------------KUQI---------------------------------

he got a straight red didnt he

341946[/snapback]

Originally everyone said it was a second yellow. I must admit I only say a red produced on the night but I was quite a distance away. The LET said it was a straight red. (EDIT - 2 yellows then it would appear - didn't see your post greggyk)

Anyway... The Times: "Shefki Kuqi is a doubt for tomorrows trip to Aston Villa. The forward suffered a groin injury against Totteham Hotspur on Wednesday, but with Craig Bellamy injured and Paul Dickov suspended, Mark Hughes will give Kuqi extra time to prove his fitness." There's also an article on the same page "Hughes grows conerned by his men behaving badly" along with a lovely photograph of Andy Todd landing a right hander on Stanley Collymore. Nice.

Presumably no Neill, and no Todd means that they'll be big changes in the defence. Todd's bound to be charged today surely - even though as Hughes pointed out the TV pictures prove nothing. Just 'cause Jol states that Reid has a "bump on the head" means nothing. He might have got that "bump on the head" at anytime. Either way though Todd has been rather silly and must be found guilty as The Times has published a photo of him hitting someone several years ago.

Best we can hope for is a draw.

1-1. Kuqi with a 25 yard screamer off his groin ( blink.gif ) and Gary Shaw for them.

Edited by bob fleming

Anyway... The Times: "Shefki Kuqi is a doubt for tomorrows trip to Aston Villa. The forward suffered a groin injury against Totteham Hotspur on Wednesday, but with Craig Bellamy injured and Paul Dickov suspended, Mark Hughes will give Kuqi extra time to prove his fitness."

surley jansen will get the nod this week if kuqi isn't fit rover.gif

Well you would, wouldn't you, given the chance?

341952[/snapback]

laugh.gif Even The Times says "Oct 4 1997: Andy Todd, then with Bolton Wanderers, can be forgiven for trading punches with Stan Collymore, the Aston Villa forward. Both are dismissed."

Didnt red cards apply after 7 days?

341907[/snapback]

As it's 2 yellows you can't appeal and it's not. Having not got the straight red it was thought it might have been! blink.gif

So we have a right back issue for one game followed by a centre back issue for the 3 games after!

See you guys at Vanilla Park in my MGP 12 shirt! tongue.gif

Especially nice of them to dig that particular picture up then. mad.gif

For heaven's sake, 1997? Nearly 8 years ago?

Even I lose my rag now and again, and believe me, I can be far more scary than Andy Todd tongue.gif

Apologies. Off Topic!

Now then, this match tomorrow. Looks as if we'll have to sit tight and go for a draw.

Edited by roversmum

As it's 2 yellows you can't appeal and it's not. Having not got the straight red it was thought it might have been!  blink.gif

So we have a right back issue for one game followed by a centre back issue for the 3 games after!

See you guys at Vanilla Park in my MGP 12 shirt!  tongue.gif

341966[/snapback]

Referee Dermot Gallagher has made clear in his match report that Neill's dismissal came as a result of a second yellow card rather than a straight red.

That means Neill's punishment will not mean a three-game ban as would have been the case.

Beat me to it, Alan.

The second yellow was shown before the red. I saw it.

I know because I was there (said in a broad welsh accent)

Not many draws between these two.

Rovers turn to win Will scrape a 1-0 tinykit.gif

Edited by bazza

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.