Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa 1 Blackburn Rovers 0

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the BBC's live feed. No wonder we're struggling to score:

Correction - 86:08

Shot by Jemal Johnson (Blackburn) drilled left-footed from right channel (25 yards), save (blocked) by Brad Friedel (Blackburn).

86:37

Shot by Shefki Kuqi (Blackburn) drilled left-footed from centre of penalty area (18 yards), save (with feet) by Brad Friedel (Blackburn).

86:08

Shot by Jemal Johnson (Blackburn) drilled left-footed from right channel (25 yards), blocked by Brad Friedel (Blackburn).

• Backroom

It's over. We played well 2nd half, but no end product and no hope of an end product with Kuqi as our striker. Villa had a lot of clean cut chances, could have beaten us by more than 1 easily. Onto our next game, then! We'll be alright.

Well Villa away wasnt a game we should have expected a win from. But a draw would have been something gettable.

Disappointed a bit, but not as much as the 3-1 defeat at WHU.

I would think our team is still almost the same team as last year other than Kuqi for Dickov which is virtually the same thing except maybe Dickov is a better finisher, if you can believe that.

Im still waiting for Bellamy to come back. I wouldnt be realistically expecting European football this season, but a top 10 finish we should get.

Villa are a poor team who have signed a overrated player in Baros who had one excellent tournement truth is he can't hack it in the Premiership(I'll regret that). 

342156[/snapback]

Im sorry for jinxing us

I think Bellamy will easily boost our goalscoring.

But, we lack a true goalscorer.

Im hoping we have money stashed away for Benni but I am virtually certain we dont.

342278[/snapback]

I know Bellers was unfit for the hammers game, but truth be told the only way we were going to score that day was from set pieces. It's just a bit annoying that were not creating anything at all, and when we do were not looking like were going to put it away (granted i obviously wasnt there today). With Notlob away next, we really need to start creating some chances. I know after all the praise we were giving the players after the last two games, that we are being fickle. Im afraid though that the simple matter is that you need chances to score. And with our only decent chances falling to Kuqi we will continue to not score.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

We played much better in the 2nd half, but obviously not enough. There is just no idea, no combination, no tactics involved in our attacks. It seems like the only thing we do is try to bundle the ball in the danger zone somehow and hope for some dumb luck. And it doesn't help when Kuqi misses are one and only real chance of the game. Maybe we just don't have the quality to do any better. Emerton is not good enough to beat the premiership defenders, that's as clear as daylight. Savage does little, and please, stop letting him take set-pieces. He screwed up every single one today. The defence that looked so solid at the end of the last season is in trouble again. Matteo/Gresko are bad, Todd has been a liability so far, and especially today this got exposed. In reality we should have lost by a lot more. Oh and another thing - someone explain to me how exactly does Baros, who did NOTHING in his entire stay at Liverpool, suddenly starts playing like a world-class star and runs his arse-off ?

Very angry with today's game.

What d'ya know? We wasted our chances once more. Our toothless attack (personified by the risible Kuqi) will cost us dear this year. The club's continuing failure to bring in quality recruits (Bellamy aside) is extremely worrying and indicative of the ambitions of the current squad.

I knew Baros would score. We always concede debut/first goals.

Edited by Rovermatt

A point a game is relegation form.

342286[/snapback]

I think we don't need to worry about relegation. We are much more better than last year at the same time. We are in position 12 now which is not worse when comparing with Newcastle or Portsmouth...

By the way, in my premiership table prediction, I tips blackburn is on position 13, of course I hope our position will be much better, but it seems that my guessing is correct...

Edited by kevinyip

Just got back from watching it live on foreign TV etc.

I'm almost too angry to type after that first half display, mad.gif we simply didn't turn up, two yards slower to the ball - how the hell do you get over run in midfield with five men strung across the middle? Second half we still didn't play well but at least made a contest of it by competing.

It wasn't like watching the same team as Wednesday, the players are taking the proverbial out of the fans already this season with their displays, excellent v Spurs, OK but rescued by two stunning goals v Fulham, couldn't be arsed turning up first half today and second half at West Ham. I had grown to expect these sort of showings under Souness but hoped they were a thing of the past under Hughes.

No -one emerged with any credit today. From a technical viewpoint.

- With the benefit of hind sight it would have been better to minimise the disruption to Wednesday's relatively successful formation by putting in Andy Taylor at right back and leaving Reid in midfield. Flitcroft was unspeakably bad.

- Friedel sold himself completely for the goal, Todd had started to push Baros wide and if Brad had stayed on his line Baros would have had to produce a hell of a shot to beat him. As it was he got caught in no man's land gifting Baros an easy finish. If you come for the ball you've got to get it.

- Even at this early stage we have to accept that the gamble on Kuqi hasn't and isn't going to work. The guy's commitment isn't in question but he's been so far off the pace in the opening 4 matches it's got to the point where it's embarrasing for the lad.

Dickov is of a similar standard (plus the reds and yellows) So if it's not felt any of the other strikers on the books are the answer, then we have to bring someone else in, or face another 32 goal season. And we won't survive another of those. It's little wonder people won't come and watch us with either of those 2 up front.

Not happy. And that's an understatement. Can almost start to understand the cricket is best viewpoint" mad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.