BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa 1 Blackburn Rovers 0

Poor game.

Villa didn't do a lot, they just managed to score and we didn't.

Thought we were poor overall Kuqi should have done better in the second half with his chance.

As cn174 said, those corners.

Savage should just whip them in not mess around and go for a short one.

I felt we missed Reid's aggression and pace in the middle yesterday.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I want to know is why did we keep taking them stupid corners?? Especially seen as the first couple were absolute rubbish, why not have a change of plan?

342490[/snapback]

"One Decent Corner, we only want one decent corner"

"One Decent Corner, we only want one decent corner"

342502[/snapback]

Surely having either MGP or Sav in or around the box would be much more dangerous than having the two of them messing up a good set piece and taking them both out of the goal scoring frame!

Surely having either MGP or Sav in or around the box would be much more dangerous than having the two of them messing up a good set piece and taking them both out of the goal scoring frame!

342537[/snapback]

Thats what we kept shouting!!!

Thats what we kept shouting!!!

342555[/snapback]

Pedersen is an excellent header of a ball. He's got to be one of the most dangerous people to have in the box from a corner at that side. He was doing nothing being stuck in the corner giving Savage an extra yard to cross from.

I don't have so much of a problem with that type of corner if it's worked so that we've a two-on-one trying to dribbline into the box and get close to goal but it wasn't. It should have been abandoned as soon as Savage hit the man ten yards away.

Seen MOTM properly now......we could have lost 4,5 or 6 nil on the chances Villa had.

Why did Jon Stead go to Sunderland? Against Wigan he was in the right spot, on target and causing problems. Compared with our attack?  unsure.gif

342417[/snapback]

Granted AV had the better chances Paul but by the middle of the 2nd half possession was 71%:29% in our favour. MotD did not reflect that. However.......

1. Hughes should not have put Reid at right back. He is hardly Lampard but he does represent the only midfielder that we have that can get up quick enough to support Kuqi. We should have a replacement in the squad / reserves somewhere who we must play when necessary. Sure Barry is a threat but Souness taught us not to make bigger changes to a team than is necessary.

2. Away from home for the first 60 mins I would also play Mokoena before Tugay. Tugay will not be expected to play every game and should be saved for home matches where we usually enjoy more territorial advantage.

3. Kuqi / Stead? At least with Kuqi upfront the centre halves know that they have been in a game and he is often our first line of defence. Compare this with Bambi-on-ice Steady and also with the pathetic defensive effort that Johnson put in v Spurs when he came on.

4. We didn't cop out with Andy Cole. We were actually dead in the water in matching City financially for Cole's signature the minute that they knew that Wright-Phillips was wanted by Chelsea.

5. We still persist in playing in ever decreasing circles down one wing and do not switch play across the pitch often or quickly enough. Even with Tugay in the team it's a prob with our game that we've never sorted since Tim Sherwood left.

342537[/snapback]

About the only positive of Amo regaining fitness is that should he be selected to play (injury crisis only or last 20 mins of a game) I will be interested to see what he makes of Pedersons corners. Amo is the best header of a ball in the squad and the best since Shearer.

Edited by thenodrog

jemal looked good when he came on, but because hes such a little guy his being brushed off the ball led to philiips hitting the post at the other end which should have been a goal

We desperately need a midfield player with a bit of skill to take on people and create something.  If only thompson could get back to his england form days  he'd be like a new player. 

Why doesnt MGP try and take on more players? whenever he does try he always succeeds, hes got the skill use it.

342330[/snapback]

WHERE IS THOMPSON???? is he injured?? I think with a few games in the team he will step it up as they are all bad in midfield it seemss???

Give it time, things are starting to look good for Rovers. I actually think  had Reid played in midfield, we would have turned our possession into chances and won the game.

We lost this game because of Lucas Neill.

"LUCAS NEILL'S A FOOTBALL GENIUS"

342349[/snapback]

U SERIOUS??

WHERE IS THOMPSON???? is he injured?? I think with a few games in the team he will step it up as they are all bad in midfield it seemss???

342712[/snapback]

Thompson is out injured though should be back within a couple of weeks, the break should help.

342712[/snapback]

I'm failing to see how Thommo will improve our midfield. Unless he's about 5 times better than he was last season. With Reid in midfield we've been doing well, I wouldn't want him to be replaced by Thommo.

He could play on the right I suppose and provide some competition to Emerton.

rover.gif back to the vile game i reckon toogs is one luxury to many away from home,after all his misplaced pass dave baros the chance.i reckon the bench away from ewood for the turkish delight tinykit.gif

342761[/snapback]

That's a point I made before the game as well. Mokoena has always been excellent at protecting the defence when we have been under the cosh away from home. Plus, this was Tugay's third game in a week.

He's an excellent outlet at home where we need to break down defences but away from home we could do with that added steel in midfield which Mokoena provides very well.

Finally getting over the defeat. Once again I went to the Villa game in hope of a good performance.

I was maybe overly harsh after the match but in my view both sides lack quality. There was huff and puff from our guys but we lost to an average Villa side. Like we lost to an average West Ham side.

Few observations (I have not read this thread yet so apologies if I repeat)

- Flitcroft should not play unless we are desperate. He offers nothing and looks so slow. I like the guy but he is not upto it. I am hoping he is one of the 'two going out' in the next couple of days.

- Tugay caused the first goal. However, I would keep him in the side as we have no one else who can unlock opposition defences.

- I still do not know what Steven Reid's best position is. He is a very basic player but can be very effective.

- Savage should get a grip over his corners. He should also stop shouting at our own players for no reason. It was out of order on young Jemal. He also loves playing hopeless passes to no-one. Maybe he has been getting tips off Tugay.

I could go on and I have not mentioned our more obvious problems but I can't be bothered. If Hughes thought bringing in Bellamy would answer all our problems he should maybe think again. We still cannot attack well and I dread to think what will happen when we play one of the league's better teams. I can accept losing to good teams and performances but not the rubbish I have watched on the previous two away games.

First time I have been on line since my trip to Villa, nice to see a few familiar faces and a couple of new ones too. First half was absolutely shocking, no positives at all and I suppose the only good news was that we were only 1-0 down at half time. Sav's corners were pretty ordinary and I agree with others on here who have mentioned the daft short corner thing. We all know MGP can head a ball so what's the point of having him out with Sav helping him to get an extra yard away from the byline. Thought Save was pretty average to be honest.

Kuqi needs a goal, just needs one to bounce in off his arse or something. It was a poor miss to be fair.

Had a good day out all in all, despite the quality of the game. At least the cricket was good.

Just a couple of after thoughts from Saturday.

I really really don't understand the Jansen situation. The only way to resolve this is for him to have half a dozen starts, this is the only way we'll be able to determine if he can still do a job. If he can't then assuming he's on a pay as you play type deal it's time to draw a line under it. It does us or him little good to have him permanently hanging round warming the bench (for which we presumably have to pay him)

The other thing was I've rarely seen Savage so subdued on a football pich after two excellent games previously. Wonder if someone "had a word" after his 3 consecutive yellows? I think I'd rather have him giving it his all and running the risk of a yellow.

Guys if anybody is hoping Thommo will come back and transform our team then I'm afraid I think you'll be badly let down. He was so bad last season, that I was genuinely praying that we offloaded him this summer. Emerton is a better right winger (I know that speaks volumes) and Flitty is just a good a central midfielder. Thommo was excellent before his injury problems, but like Jansen I'm afraid he's just lost it.

Flitcroft should not play unless we are desperate. He offers nothing and looks so slow. I like the guy but he is not upto it. I am hoping he is one of the 'two going out' in the next couple of days.

342785[/snapback]

Not going to happen. Same situation as Michael Gray - paid too much. Come to think about it, Gray would probably be a more attractive loan signing for a Championship team than Flitcroft because he did quite well at Leeds.

Did not really mention, but thought Vratty did ok when he came on. Matteo has actually been ok this season.

On Jansen, he did ok. Gave the ball away a couple of times but we looked slightly better attacking wise when he was on. He was huffing and puffing a bit, which shows he has a long way to get his fitness back.

Guys if anybody is hoping Thommo will come back and transform our team then I'm afraid I think you'll be badly let down. He was so bad last season, that I was genuinely praying that we offloaded him this summer. Emerton is a better right winger (I know that speaks volumes) and Flitty is just a good a central midfielder. Thommo was excellent before his injury problems, but like Jansen I'm afraid he's just lost it.

342850[/snapback]

ya but the season b4 hew was amazing right??? when almost making the england team, he wasnt all hat last season but he was good at one point and could become good again!!! Why would u want too offload him if there is a chance he'll come good again!!! pressures on and he'll know that he can make a differenmce should he play at a higher level!!

Lets all pray!

Granted AV had the better chances Paul but by the middle of the 2nd half possession was 71%:29% in our favour.  MotD did not reflect that.  However.......

BTW - any sarcasm is not aimed at you theno smile.gif

Have to say I think these statistics on possession etc are utterly pointless, like Rovers last Saturday. They really are nothing more than a bit of TV window dressing. 71% of 2nd half possession, I must cheer that later today, or perhaps we could ask the PL if we could have 71% of the points as we obviously deserve it?

I'm sure the BBC are looking to maximise their audience possesion/share. Consequently they will show the 4, 5 or 6 exciting parts of the game and not our 71% possession. I'll take 29% possession and 6 decent chances, one goal, a clean sheet and three points any day of the week.

On the Kugi/Stead thing. I was disappointed to see Stead leave even though it does appear he was a sacrifiice to get Bellamy. The probelm with this is we have been left without a single striker with ANY premiership experience through injury (Bellamy, Jansen) and stupidity (Dickov). Kugi doesn't appear to be good enough and we should have kept Stead.

Our striking options are:

Bellamy - we have to wait and see. Who is going to supply him?

Dickov - runs around a lot, rarely scores from open play

Kugi - doubtful ability

Jansen - hate to say it but he's not the answer anymore

It's not exciting or likely to give us 4,5 or 6 chances in a game even if we have 99% possession in the second half.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.