SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Robbie Savage

Tris

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Opta stats on Savage at half time were stunningly good- way ahead of any other player in number of successful tackles, passes completed etc etc.

When Bolton were getting on top during the first half, savage was the key difference in keeping it 0-0.

The whinge to poll was about the stupid booking he'd just given Matteo. At that point Poll was giving everything and anything in favour of Bolton.

346176[/snapback]

Exactly right Philip! People commenting on here who know ferk all about football do my piggin head in! They think they know it all from what they read in the tabloids and filling fantasy football in every week, but in reality they know the square root of sod all! The lads doing OK imo, sure he's no Zidane but then we knew that when we bought him, hes a nuts and bolts, competative midfield 'water carrier' WHICH EVERY CLUB NEEDS BTW!

As far as I am concerned Sav is the new Sherwood to some of our resident anoraks and his face will NEVER fit with the myopic gits. I just thank ferk nobody at the club with an ounce of footballing knowledge will ever take any notice of the silly bstards stupid opinions! mad.gif

Savage has done fine for me all season and I think that people who slate him are just jumping on the media bandwagon. If you actually watch the matches rather than read some biased report and watch doctored highlights your opinion of Robbie may change. He brakes up potential attacks and is always 1st to jump in to block crosses and shots. He also poses an attacking threat. He is a decent passer and has the ability to deliver quality from set-pieces (this is the one area of Savs game that i have been a little dissapointed with- ie. the constant corners that go too deep). I think he has an essential role to play in the team and todays performance proved that. I agree that he gets booked too often, but with a player of his style its going to happen. Even if he has a dreadful game and does nothing right he still shows 100% commitment and that has an effect on the other players.

I have often wondered whether Sav is just a joke and that his apparent stupidity with the media is all a laugh for him. He may well be an intellegent guy who just does strange things to stir things up a bit and who loves the controversy. If it is the case then he is very good at it and gets plenty of column inches. Just a thought...but on the other hand, he could just be a total idiot tongue.gif

I agree that he gets booked too often,

346243[/snapback]

Correct and today it was for gobbing off. mad.gif

However I have a smidgeon of sympathy for Sav today because his ire appeared to have been caused was Graham Polls ridiculous caution of Matteo for actually having the professional cynicism to actually stand perfectly still whilst Diouf charged into him! withstupid.gif

Savage is OK with me and will only ever produce positive comments from me. However (yes, but, there is one exception), he should try shutting his mouth a bit and get on with it. It positively makes my blood boil to see Dickov looking at the referee more than he does the ball and his team mates. Sav should concentrate on his game a bit more because I haven't really seen the influential player he was at Birmingham, where he contributed as much to attack as he did to defence.

There really does appear to be a them and us situation developing on here regarding Robbie Savage. Just like the Sherwood era it appears to be connected to those that know about the game in one corner and those that avidly read 'Roy of the Rovers' as kids in the other. tongue.gif

Referees really do seem to have it in for Savage, he barely has to step foot over the white line and the yellow card comes out. Conversely he was hacked down by a late challenge early on yesterday and the Bolton player never even received a ticking off.

Moaning at the ref isn't the most palatable part of the modern game but Savage is by no means the only culprit.

Does anyone really think that Poll would have booked say Roy Keane (or indeed anyone from "the big three") in similar circumstances?

Robbie Savage: decent footballer, got a bit of a gob on him though.

He'd get half the bookings he gets if he kept it shut.

AS most players wear elastplasts over the rings on their fingers maybe MH could slap one over Savage's gob before each match.

He hasnt impressed me in terms of a creative spark. He is a good defensive midfielder but him and Mokoena together virtually showed our ambitions.

His set-pieces are really disappointing and I cant see why he takes so many when MGP is on the pitch.

Still has a long way to go to justify his fee.

346145[/snapback]

my welsh mate bangs on about his free kiks and how good they are!!! so lets hope they get better!! another thing MGP crosses ive found aint been all that this season1! bit wayward!! did u c bentleys first pass!! was just a normal swinging cross but no mistakes from him and getter crossing!!!

The Opta stats on Savage at half time were stunningly good- way ahead of any other player in number of successful tackles, passes completed etc etc.

When Bolton were getting on top during the first half, savage was the key difference in keeping it 0-0.

The whinge to poll was about the stupid booking he'd just given Matteo. At that point Poll was giving everything and anything in favour of Bolton.

346176[/snapback]

GREAT TO KNOW!!! ok he aint all that!! but im glad we got him... and remember he aint back to full fitness just yet!!!

not the best, but id say kinda consistant and my welsh boyo raves bout him even when i say that he is wrong!! so lets try to keep the faith yall! !

Correct and today it was for gobbing off. mad.gif 

However I have a smidgeon of sympathy for Sav today because his ire appeared to have been caused was Graham Polls ridiculous caution of Matteo for actually having the professional cynicism to actually stand perfectly still whilst Diouf charged into him! withstupid.gif

346245[/snapback]

he said on roversworld interview that he told the ref: 'see the bolton fans are even laughing at you' cos we had 2 players trying to take the ball off okacha but okacha had clearly put it out!!! with all the bolton fans laughing at the decision!!!

is that worthy of a yellow for savage!!! i mean i always see players telling the ref to f off!!

Savage played well against Bolton. If he just stuck to playing football and didn't go around winding people up and saying daft things, I'd be happy.

346635[/snapback]

Nothing wrong with winding up the opposition, I like that, it's the ref he shouldn't wind up. smile.gif

Poll has a grudge against Savage anyway for using his toilet so he would have booked him regardless.  I thought he had a good game and did his job perfectly well.

346182[/snapback]

That's funny cos I was thinking if this is a top English Ref then our officiating is in worse shape that I thought. I don't think he did us any favours, whilst managing to do a few for Bolton. I thought he was inconsistent both ways, I was not impressed with his all round game. Add to that the disgraceful booking of Matteo and it sums up his poor performance IMHO. Two more yellows for us just cos Poll had a bad un, does not seem right.

Edited by USABlue

Referees really do seem to have it in for Savage, he barely has to step foot over the white line and the yellow card comes out. Conversely he was hacked down by a late challenge early on yesterday and the Bolton player never even received a ticking off.

Moaning at the ref isn't the most palatable part of the modern game but Savage is by no means the only culprit.

Does anyone really think that Poll would have booked say Roy Keane (or indeed anyone from "the big three") in similar circumstances?

346567[/snapback]

I thought that was a disgraceful challenge by Stelios. Stelios himself went on to whine at the ref on plenty of occasions, as did Campo, as did Davies not stop.

According to the Sun's list; Savage has a record of 13 fouls and 4 yellow cards.

Their list reads:

Savage (Blackburn)...13 fouls (4 yellow cards, 0 red) 25 points.

Hughes (Portsmouth). 15 (3, 0) 24

Davies (Bolton)..........21 (1, 0) 24

Boa Morte (Fulham)...21 (1, 0) 24

Parker (Newcastle)....11 (2, 1) 23

Davids (Spurs)............10 (4, 0) 22

Viafara (Portsmouth)..11 (3, 0) 20

P Neville (Everton)......10 (1, 1) 19

Ashley Cole (Arse)......10 (3, 0) 19

Matteo (Blackburn).....13 (2, 0) 19

Bouba Diop (Fulham)..16 (1, 0) 19

Andy Cole (Man City)..12 (2, 0) 18

(1 point per foul; 3 Yellow, 6 Red)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.