SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton 0 - 0 Rovers

Scotty

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friedel made two very sharp saves at the end of the game for the benefit of the "Friedel had nothing to do, the games was so boring, I fell asleep."

I'm in a minority but I quite enjoyed the game. There was no nastiness, there were good passages of passing play and both sides displayed a level of technique you wouldn't have seen from any club in the old First Division.

Lucas Neill - where has he gone? Hopefully will continue his good form and this is a season of him being back to his best. Looks assured.

346349[/snapback]

I think proper tactics and coaching has alot to do with it.

Few points I would like to make, for what it is worth.

· Sparky has got everyone fighting for the cause. What a committed display and it seems like a lot of the players would run through a brick wall for him.

· Repeating what a few people have said, Nelsen was immense. I feel so much more confident when he is playing and I think his presence rubs off on the rest of the team. Should be made permanent club captain (big decision for Hughes).

· Bentley shows nice touches, he will be a very useful player at home and probably generally as well! Also, he has not played much football so he cannot be at his sharpest.

· Felt sorry for Jansen, poor service. I thought he did ok though in a game which had few chances.

· The ‘Axe’ won so many second balls and actually played some nice passes in the first half. I have not seen that side to his game.

In summary, I can understand what people are saying about negativity etc but we looked a good, solid team. Ok there does not appear to be an imposing attacking threat but our major player is currently injured. I also have to say I was wrong in my pre-match comments about Zurab. He acquitted himself very well considering he has only taken part in 2 training sessions at the club.

at the end of the day its a point and a clean sheet!!

#### game and maybe should of won it after the second half performance!!

2 new signings looked quality.

well pleased for jansen starting dragged the defenders all over the place but had no support at all!!

bring on the barcodes, 3 points and souness fired thumbs-up.gifbiggrin.gifrover.gif

Friedel made two very sharp saves at the end of the game for the benefit of the "Friedel had nothing to do, the games was so boring, I fell asleep."

I'm in a minority but I quite enjoyed the game. There was no nastiness, there were good passages of passing play and both sides displayed a level of technique you wouldn't have seen from any club in the old First Division.

346352[/snapback]

I too quite enjoyed it, but then again I did pay nothing to see it. I liked that we were clearly a match for them and that we tried to win it in the last 20 mins.

As to Friedal, his dropped catch and coming and missing the corner that Campo should have put in made him a 4 for me. The two saves at the end were bread and butter - every other keeper in the prem would have easily saved them.

I really do hope that when Bellamy is fit we consign the 4-5-1 to the history books once and for all. I don't agree at all this is our most effective way of playing.

Granted it served a purpose last season when Sparky somehow had to stem the cascade of goals being conceded by Souness's side, yet we were in some ways fortunate to survive given we only registered 32 goals.

This season is similar, five games in and we've failed to score in three of them. Three goals, none from a forward, one from a centre half, and our only victory courtesy of a couple of once in a lifetime strikes from midfield.

I know the League table shows we're managing to keep our noses above water at the moment but at the same time we've had a particularly kind run of fixtures.

IMO we need to start playing a slightly more adventurous 4-4-2. **

Don't really care who it is out of Bellamy/Bentley/Kuqi/Jansen

** Man Ure Arsenal and Chelski away excepted

A pretty dissatisfying match in many ways but a point is a point, and against Bolton away from home that isn't a bad result.

The first half was woeful, and Rovers need to improve on that, another performance like that and against a better team we'd get punished. Fortunately Bolton were equally poor, though Campo should have scored late on in the first half from a corner (which would have really left us in trouble.)

Second half was more frustraiting then anything else, as Rovers hinted though never really got hold of the game as they promised to do. The substitutions were the catalyst, and I think Hughes erred in his team selection. I'm chuffed that matty is in the first team picture but playing him on his own up front against bolton was never likely to work. With Rovers hoofing it long all the time, the slim chance of him getting anything became nil.

This game was crying out for Kuqi or Dickov to start, to ruffle a few feathers and to be fair the former did when he came on. Sadly that's all he did, as a lack of technique/that but of extra quality that was just missing, meant the difference between sometimes threatening and downright dangerous. One time which typified this was when the ball was played towards the Bolton left back area, Kuqi outmusled the defender in getting the ball, and then promptly lost it when he had a clear run down the wing through lack of control. If Hughes can improve his technique and touch we have the bargain of the season on our hands, if not we've got another Ashely Ward.

IMO Dickov should have risen in the pecking order, after this. The chap has far better ball control then Kuqi, is equal in terms of harrying the opposition, although is going to win less headers. If Dickov was guarenteed not to spend so much time winging on his arse he'd be my number two guarenteed striker.

Tactically I also thought Hughes had erred in taking off Pederson instead of the anonymous Emerton. This did have a negative effect on the team in terms of set pieces (more on this later) but Emerton then began to show his quality, and impressed in the latter stages of the game. One of the big positives is that the indications are that Emerton might provide adequate cover on the left should Morten get injured.

Kish-thingy had a fairly quiet debute the jury's till out on this one IMO. His centre back partner Nelsen was awesome - we'll be lucky to keep hold of him, this chap is one of the top few centre backs in the country. On many a time he covered for one player or another, and I wonder to what extent this convered up for or overshaddowed Zurab's performance. Either way Nelsen is a legend in the making.

Another gripe is Savage, another stupid booking - the daftest yet - and his free kicks and corners were shocking. Every single one went sailing over evveryone's heads. His passing in play wasn't exactly telling either, but it was the wasted set pieces which annoyed me most. If MGP's not on the pitch, Emerton should be dealing with them, I was very disappointed with our 'star' midfielder. The other two central midfielders had quiet games, although neither performance was poor.

Bentley drifted in and out of the game, which was understandable considering he hasn't seen much 1st team football recently. But when he was in the game he made a heck of a difference. Maybe he's the attacking midfielder we've been after to solve our problems, and though it's too early to say the first signs are very promising.

Overall a frustrating game, a dire first half with Rovers edging the second. Rovers cannot feel too agrieved about not winning though as despite having the edge never really took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominatea, as they hinted at and had opportunity to do.

Le Chuck, i cant agree with that one. Wigan and West Ham may have came up and be having a good go of it (Im not sure what constitutes a good go by the way) but ultimately they'll both be in the relegation mire come the end of the year.

346215[/snapback]

Well...playing 4-4-2, having competent ball players in the midfield instead of physical but technically lacking players...two strikers who combine instead of one striker being made chase balls and just generally going out with intention of winning a game.

West Ham did that tonight and they won 4-0. Does anyone really think we would have approached that game in the same way? They had two strikers, two skillful wide players and Reo Coker supported from the middle better than any of our central players, even though we have more of them and therefore, theoretically, a greater need for ours to do so.

West Ham won't be near the relegation zone near the end of the season, they've come into the Premiership with a brilliant attitude. They go out to win games from off, attacking in numbers and showing faith in their defence. They might switch to a 4-5-1 in the closing 20 minutes to see out a game, but that's fair enough.

Compare this to us...we go 4-5-1 and just look to keep things tight and hope to sneak a goal. We rarely commit enough players forward during the openings of games...we may push forward more in final 20 minutes, but by then it's usually too late. Hughes seems to think that if we have plenty of possession in our own half then we are unlucky not to be winning games. There was no way we were ever going to score against Bolton unless they gave us a goal via a mistake, but he seems to be 'delighted'.

For some reason Sky showed highlights from our 4-3 game with Fulham from two seasons ago the other day...it got me thinking; even though we were a poor team then, there was always the possibility that we could be involved in exciting games like that. Now...I don't ever see it happening. In fact, have we been involved in an exciting game since Hughes took over? The 2-2 versus Liverpool comes to mind, but we did play 4-4-2 then and showed more willingness to be adventerous than we have since December-ish.

I've always deeply hated negative football (unless it's out of desperation), fortunately we've always been a great team to watch. It's not the case anymore, and I'm not going to start pretending I like it because we're doing it. I did have plans to go to a game with a few friends at the beginning of next month (probably West Brom), believing Hughes' words of "things will change next season"...but I took friends to the Leicester game last season and felt embarrassed then, so I've now scrapped those plans. It's just not worth spending £40/£50, unless the entertainment factor returns.*

*Maybe that part should be included in the attendence topic.

Edited by LeChuck

That is a good point...although Villa seemed to lack any kind of bite in the tackle.

I'm a strong believer that, if you approach the games as West Ham have, you'll win more than you'll lose. The back four we played against Bolton looked very solid (even if Matteo can't pass), we should place more trust in them rather than protecting them with a three-man blanket. Savage seemed more disciplined with is positioning too, if he maintained that in a midfield four then we wouldn't have the problems we did against West Ham.

IMO we need to start playing a slightly more adventurous 4-4-2. **

Don't really care who it is out of Bellamy/Bentley/Kuqi/Jansen

** Man Ure Arsenal and Chelski away excepted

346481[/snapback]

"Man Ure Arsenal and Chelski away excepted" .........where we will be facing teams that have played with just one up front for ages Simon.

Whatever our resident 'purists' think Sunday was a damned good result and performance. Argue tactics all day long but we drew Boltons sting in the first 45 and bossed em in the second half. If we can eradicate the West Ham / Villa lapses our confidence will grow from such performances and scoring will become much easier.

Well...that's the worst I've ever seen us play, we're about as entertaining as a lettuce.  I imagine we don't pass much better than a vegetable either.  The horrible thing is...I imagine Hughes will be happy with that, nevermind that we're pathetic on the ball...we haven't conceded (yet).

Savage is a grade A prick as well.  Hopefully Bentley will come on in the second half for Mokoena and we'll go a bit more attacking.  Hah!  Sorry, what was I thinking?  That will never happen.

346105[/snapback]

EH?? SURLY THIS WAS INB THE 1ST HALF!! COS 2ND HALF WAS BEST I SEEN IN A BIT WITH BENTLEY ON

The second half certainly was much better than the first. Both Bentley and Kuqi were impressive. Bentley brought a new dimension into the game while Kuqi fought hard, winning headers. Reid has a powerful shot, wonderfully saved by Jussie. Neil and Zurab deserve a mention as well. So does Nelsen.

The worst Rovers player in my opinion today? As usual, Emerton.

346115[/snapback]

why is he soo crap??? and why cant we bring in someone else for him!! he doesnt care!! and i hate to see him in!! play bentley there or something!!! cos now maybe he plays sooo crap cos we always start him!! drop him and let him fight for his place!!! only way he'll improve!!!

Decent enough point, Rovers coming stronger in the second half after a poorish first half. Graham Poll had ten minutes before half time when he gave everything to Bolton and booked Matteo and Savage- why?

Encouraged by Zura and Bentley, Reid looked a notch below today. Kuqui just isn't a Prem player. Jansen's movement was back to the Jansen of old- shame nobody could get the ball to him.

Potential costly comedy moments from our two Australians- Bert falling over the ball dribbling out of defence and sending it backwards to a Bolton forward on the edge of the area and Neill chosing a drven volley (woefully executed) when a defender's lob would have found the empty net.

I'm happy with the point but could/should have been three.

346132[/snapback]

ya the lucas neil chance was better hance then reids shot!!! he just had to take his time and it would have been a goal!!! no one was near him dammit!!

philip savage was yellow carded for this: 2 plaayers on okotcha and okotcha knocked it out!! he gave them the throw in. The bolton fans started to laugh so savage said to him: look even they are laughing at u!!!

does this deserve a card?? he should have shut it, but i think when we hear players say fak off all day every day to refs this was harsh of the ref!!!

They made a good point on skysports, why is the bolton player Stelios allowed his first name to be printed on the back of his shirt but Zurab wasn't allowed to have his on?!

346296[/snapback]

really, he wasnt allowed?? surly they can have 1 or the other for gods sake!! silly

Is Kuqi good enough? Certainly he's big enough but does he have enough quality?

hmmmmmm, good enough we shall see, does he have enough quality!! no ball skills at all!! his aggression is his quality!!1 but i also have aggression!!1 maybe with 2 strikers he do better!!

someone said it b4! imagine vs newcastle 3 -0 bellamy hatrick  and souness out!! wow id cream meee  pants

346349[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.