BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Zurab Khizanishvilli

colin

With apologies for this, but I've not been paying attention & I've not being paying attention and maybe I'm repeating myself but who is this chap? Apart from a blooming good Scrabble score.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With apologies for this, but I've not been paying attention & I've not being paying attention and maybe I'm repeating myself but who is this chap? Apart from a blooming good Scrabble score.

345856[/snapback]

I have seen him playing for Dundee against Dunfermline on four occasions and have to say that I have no outstanding impressions of the player. Dunfermline won 3 and drew 1 of the games, so Zurab was under pressure as a defender in the Dundee side every time, but I still dont remember much about him. At least I think we can say that he does not crack under pressure and get himself booked or sent off, which at present could be quite a bonus for Rovers.

At least I think we can say that he does not crack under pressure and get himself booked or sent off, which at present could be quite a bonus for Rovers.

345903[/snapback]

laugh.gif

He got sent off in midweek playing for his country.

• 5 months later...
Say Philip will you go and see Zurab next week since he's coming to your island paradise in some kind of a tournament?Would love an eyewitness match report  smile.gif

you'll have to read down towards the bottom of the article to see the Georgian referenced

Florida Rover

385882[/snapback]

Damn damn damn I could have watched this sad.gif

Philip where could they play, cos the stadium I saw was WELL past its sell by date wink.gif

£25.39.57

thats what jjb charged me neway

385926[/snapback]

What?!? ohmy.gif Two grand? That's bloody steep. Or is it actually £ 25.39 plus a cheeky £ 0.57p for the chav who served you? They're having a laugh that lot - this is pay back for the discounted pies on New Years Eve. I blame the Whelans mad.gif

Damn damn damn I could have watched this  sad.gif

Philip where could they play, cos the stadium I saw was WELL past its sell by date  wink.gif

385930[/snapback]

All the answers are here including details of the National Stadium in the centre of the island.

What you saw was the old Empire Stadium in Gzira which was abandonned 20+ years ago and is now the home to stray cats although Sliema Wanderers are trying to take it over as a "new" home for themselves.

The Gzira Stadium saw England as World Cup Winners win 1-0 there in a European Nations qualifier in 1970. The crowd was 15% of the nation's population!

Anyway with a Maltese Rover, I am trying to find out where Zura is to say hello.

Edited by philipl

• 1 year later...

Can someone reassure me that Zurab is currently injured and therefore I should not assume that Hughes prefers Aaron Mokoena as the defensive utility player on the bench. Mokoena has played his part, I accept that, but surely Zurab is the superior CB/RB and having played CM before in his career, should be on the bench ahead of the Axe.

Can someone reassure me that Zurab is currently injured and therefore I should not assume that Hughes prefers Aaron Mokoena as the defensive utility player on the bench. Mokoena has played his part, I accept that, but surely Zurab is the superior CB/RB and having played CM before in his career, should be on the bench ahead of the Axe.

i've not heard that he's inj. if we had had an inj to one of our CB's, axe wouldve gone to RB, and ooijer to CB.

"horses for courses" selections are the norm for MH.

anyway, zurab doesnt look at all comfortable at RB.

I'd much rather have Mokoena on the bench, because it benefits us tactically. I've never seen Zurab play in midfield before, and I presume he is only up to the job of playing in defence. Tactics often dictate a change to the centre of midfield, especially when you are leading in a game and need to protect the back four. That is what Mokoena does. If an injury in defence does occur, then Mokoena captained his national side at centre back and he would feel comfortable playing there.

I suspect it is due to the fact that Hughes see's Mokoena as a utility player, he has never been keen on an out and out centre half as a defender.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.